† † † † † † †

Author Topic: Lyme Disease: Causes, Testing, Diagnosis & Treatments  (Read 102716 times)

Offline natural

• Adept
Re: Lyme Disease: Causes, Testing, Diagnosis & Treatments
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2006, 12:21:46 PM »
Last July my hubby had erlyciosis (other tick-born disease) and this summer my 4 yo son had LD. Then we treated my daughter right after because she was experiencing some effects my hubby did when he had his.

Here is what my Dr. told me...You can test pos. for LD even after you have been treated--for up to a year--and it still doesn;t mean you have it...The LD test detects the antibodies that are specific to LD ...i am guessing that your body continues to produce these antibodies for some time after treatment as a protective measure...Really the only way (I was told) you can tell if you got it all after treatment is by the symptoms (or lack of them).

I think my son had it for a year. It is hard to tell because he came down with some strange symptoms right around the time my hubby was sick, but we didn't even know what exactly he had until 6 months later when the test results came back. We treated him for erlyciosis just to be safe and sure enough it helped (Doxycycline)He was EXTREMELY sick I thought he was going to die--really.

My son and daughter were put on amocycillin (sp?) for 21 days and have been symptom free ever since. I think the reason my son recovered before was that I was giving him lots of prayer and zinc, silver and copper minerals...I quit when the symptoms stopped so it didn't get it all or it just wasn't strong enough??

Anyway we are glad to see the snow coming :) Let the cold take those ticks!! BTW my hubby is extra anxious for deer hunting this year :) ha ha j/k
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2006, 05:37:52 PM »
I know this thread is more about Lymes disease than ticks, but I was just looking through Cabelas website and found these things called Bug Skinz that keep ticks (and everything else) off of you.  And for hunters or people who spend a significant amount of time in the woods, you can get them from head to toe.  It was new to me, anyway.   :D
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline Charis

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2006, 03:29:44 AM »
Last July my hubby had erlyciosis (other tick-born disease) and this summer my 4 yo son had LD. Then we treated my daughter right after because she was experiencing some effects my hubby did when he had his.

What were some of the symptoms your son had?
"Momma can I have some fruit? I think my body needs some vitamin C." -Madelyn 5

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2006, 02:59:40 AM »
    Does anyone know of a good book on Lyme's disease? Maybe someone's experience with it or at least a book that a normal person can understand?

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2006, 04:22:59 AM »
help! can you tell me how you bought teasel? I searched ebay and searched Dr. Fitchey And you said you found it easily on ebay my husband may have it , almost sure and Ive been searching all morning!
Sorry I found it !!!!!!!! on ebay!14.00 a bottle. thank you so very much!

hi all, i would like to hear from anyone who has used this stuff.  i just found out my aunt has had Lymes for a few months and is not doing very well.  i would like to help her any way i can and was hoping someone could offer results from using this herb or any other remedies natural or otherwise.  she has gone the regular medical route and isn't doing well.  i am printing these threads to give her, thanks for any help you can offer. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2006, 04:26:45 AM »
hey there !  Can you tell me how your dad was treated (that he was successfully treated is great) and did he use antibiotics or did you ever hear of taking herbs to fight it.It is my three year old that has a strange rash on his belly and its also not the typical bulls eye rash that gets bigger and bigger. ALso if we treat him herbally do you think it would be better than antibiotics? I did use anti. with all the other kiddos but I would rather not this time!!!! Hey by the way Congrats on having your new one!

Sorry I missed this!
Yes, my dad did the antibiotics, and within a couple weeks of being infected. We had just visited with a man who battled with LD for 7 years, and almost died, before finding a LD doctor to treat him correctly. Dad immediately went to an LD doctor who gave him one round of the appropriate antibiotics and he was fine soon afterward. The sooner it's treated, the better the results, I believe.

Teasel sounds like a good natural option, but I'd also say to try it under the supervision of an LD doctor that might be open to trying natural remedies so that he can continually check the blood and say whether or not the herb is successful. LD is something you want to take very seriously - especially in a child.

If anyone here does have positive results with Teasel, please share the experience with us all!

Rebekah

i am hoping to hear from anyone who has used teasel or anything else for lymes successfully.  i just found out my aunt has had lymes for a few months, and is not doing well.  i would like to help her any way i can.  i am printing off these threads to send her and would love to hear from you.  thanks.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2006, 05:27:49 AM »
I would suggest Super Strength Oreganol from North American Herb & Spice. I know that I recommend this a lot but it is potent & effective. Be sure to use the extra strength-it is three x's stronger so it is more cost effective. This is ess. oregano oil mixed w/olive oil. It comes in capsules & liquid. Oreganal is anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, & anti-viral so it gets to the root of illness whatever is causing it. Just so you know, because the oil is taken under the tongue & absorbed through the mouth into the bloodsteam less is needed so it costs less to use than the caps but the oil is strong tasting. There are other brands of oregano that are cheaper but oregano is frequently miss identified &/or sub. w/cheaper oils that can be toxic. NAH&S oregano isn't toxic & has the medical research to back it up. The web site is: www.p-73.com. Check out Dr. Cass Ingram's books¬  (I got them from the library) for more info about oreganal & very good info about nat. medicine & restoring health.¬  I keep it around all the time. It works for infections, flu, bird flu, yeast/fungal infections, ect. I don't use it for everthing but it is what I want available for serious illness. Enter oreganol into the search feature to see my other posts about oreganol for more info, the dosages I would use, etc. HTH~herbalmom

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2006, 05:31:33 AM »
See my post on the Really, really need help for BIL-Lymes Disease thread. I hope it helps. ~herbalmom

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2006, 09:42:47 AM »
To answer the question about good books about Lyme Disease, we have two that have been a good source of information on natural treatment and helping to understand the disease.  This disease ~ and the bacteria that causes it ~ are very different from just about anything else.  It is sort of a 'smart' bacteria; almost a parasitical sort. 

The books are;

Everything You Need to Know About Lyme Disease   by Karen Vandrhoof-Forschner

and

Healing Lyme   by Stephen Harrod Buhner

Our oldest dd has chronic Lyme, for 5 1/2 years now.  She is seeing an MD - classical homeopathic doctor who is treating her with natural medicine.  He has told her that she will never be in perfect health.  This disease can be devastating.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 12:06:58 PM by ladyhen »
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline Sweet E

• Learning
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2006, 10:13:03 AM »
:) Hey,

I'm new around here, but I couldn't resist posting. My whole family has Lyme's disease, including my Grandpa and Uncles! Our cases weren't severe, thank God, but we definitely felt the effects. We used completely natural supplements formulated especially for Lyme Disease from Vonner Health Services. You have to take a urine test before they prescribe the supplements. The test is supposed to test for over a hundred diseases.

My Grandfather, who was on antibiotics before he tried the supplements, said they helped him just as much. One of our friends was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and was not repsonding to radiation. She was tested through Vonner and found to have Lyme. When she took the pills her cancer disappeared.  :o Apparently the Lyme can disguise itself as other diseases? ???

Anyway, I know this sounds like commercial for Vonner, but i thought I'd share what i know.

Elisabeth

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 10:16:42 AM by Sweet E »

Offline Sweet E

• Learning
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2006, 10:24:16 AM »
Yeah, I would check out the BIL-Lyme disease thread. I just posted about my family's experiences with Lyme... and what we found that helped.

Elisabeth

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2006, 06:16:23 PM »
thanks, gals, i will print out these answers also, guess it was silly of me to post on both threads!  i was just trying to bump them up.  thanks!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2006, 06:16:58 PM »
thank you!  i appreciate all your replies. 

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2006, 05:06:59 PM »
Hey, just an update on "BIL" and his health... He chose to stay on antibiotics and follow the Dr.'s plan and is slowly improving! He did say the other day that the biggest thing that helps in his improvement is WHAT HE EATS! Its amazing how that in itself can make or break him and yet it makes complete sense to us. He esp. mentioned that fermented foods and soaked grains are what he feels best on.  ;)

I just thought I'd mention that here in case it would help anyone who doesn't realize the great importance of a healthy diet no matter what meds or herbs you are using to fight the Lyme Disease.

Blessings!

Offline Becky in WV

• Learning
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2007, 03:05:12 PM »
Can a cow get Lyme Disease? If so, can a person contract Lyme Disease if they drink raw milk from this cow?  A lady I know who has Lyme Disease told me that she passed it on to her children (unknowingly) through her breast milk.  This got me to wondering whether we could contract it through the raw milk we drink.  Unfortunately deer ticks are common around here and I know several people who have Lyme's (my mom is one of them).  According to our vet almost all dogs in this area have Lyme's...we in fact had our dog put to sleep last summer--one of her many health issues was that she had Lyme's.      So I don't think it would be far-fetched for the cows we drink milk from to be bitten by a deer tick that's carrying Lyme.  I'm going to ask the farmer if she knows anything about this. In the meantime,  any thoughts?   

Offline oneblessedwoman

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2007, 03:45:31 PM »
The bacteria that the tick injects when it bites is what causes lyme disease.  There have been reported cases of unborn babies dying due to the bacteria making it's way through the placenta of a lyme infected woman.  There have been tests done on milk that comes from an infected animal, and they have tested positive for the bacteria, but there is no sign that this has caused disease.  It may be that your stomach acid kills them once you drink the milk.... however milk does lower the pH of your stomach, so it seems that they could get past.  I would be very interested to see if anyone else has  more information. 

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2007, 06:25:56 PM »
I suffered through Lyme Disease and treatments for a long time and studied up on the subject.  About 13 years ago, I knew A LOt about it, Im sure there have been advances in knowledge though.  Anyway, Any animal can carry the Lyme spirochete, which causes the disease, but it doesnt cause the disease in every animal.  Im not sure about cows, but I know things like deer (and I was told dogs) can carry the organism wthout having the disease and symptoms like humans get; they are just carriers.  So, no, the cow cant technically get Lyme disease, but they can carry the sprichete.  So, I would imagine it would go through their milk, not sure. 
BTW, if you are ever bit by a tick, it cant pass on the B. burgdorfi to you until the end of its feeding(2-3 days)  so if you get it off right away, you should be safe.

Offline His#1Girl

• Learning
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2007, 09:10:01 AM »
After my initial introductory post, which referred to the fact that I have recovered from Lyme's Disease, I recieved so many requests for more details that I have decided to post instead of replying to them all.  Anyone who has more questions is of course welcome to PM me.

It is believed that I first developed Lyme Disease around the age of 10 or 11.  I had just started growing, and the rapidity of my upward growth had us believing that the pain was caused by the growth.  The disease crept up gradually, weakening me and eating away at my joints.  When I was 15 I developed Pneumonia, and everything crashed in all at once as the Lyme's finally reared it's ugly head.

A year followed of incessant fever, terrible joint pain, and lots of shaking.  I had always been slender, but now it became impossible to keep weight on.  I stood 5'10" and had difficulty reaching 100 pounds: I was around 90 pounds most of the time.  I would be eating dinner and suddenly my glass would fall because I wasn't strong enough to hold it.  My father and brother's carried me around a lot. 

The doctor put me on antibiotics, but I was so sick while on them it was awful.  I began very gradually to get bette,r but suffered frequent relapses.  I'd be ok for a week or two, then I'd over exert and be in bed for the next week.  Because of my reaction to the AB's, my parents decided to try natural healing.

For a few years, everything was touch and go. I knew when it was going to rain a few days before it actually did because of the pain in my joints.  I was very weak, but gradually got better.  But I was still so touchy I couldn't hold a job and I really wasn't much use to Mommy either.

What finally made the difference was something called OPC's.  I have no idea why they did, but I became strong.  The pain virtually left me, and good nutrition built my weak body back up. 

How much of it was a miracle and how much of it was due to the OPC's and other factor's, I'm not sure.  When I got married, I was still terrified of getting pregnant, bt we had decided God could handle it.  I gave birth to a son 42 weeks after our wedding day, and I had never been helatheir.  The baby was, and is, doing great.

I find it only wise to mention that raw goats milk helped as well, at least with the weight gain.  I still have a hard time getting weight on, ut I don't drop weight nearly so fast any longer.

THe OPC's worked for me, but that does not guarantee they'll work for everyone.  I tried a lot of other remdies that were supposed to help and didn't.  The OPC's were a last resort.  ANd they took a while, 3-4 months before I noticed a difference.  On the other hand, if I stopped takin them, it takes 3-4 months for the pain to show back up.  Or it did.  I've been forgetting them for a long time, or not taking the regularlly, but I'm still doing great.
"Absolute power is when a man is starving and you are the only one able to give him food."  Robert Mugabe, Zimbabwe Dictator.

Stop the NAIS.  Visit www.nonais.org

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2007, 09:33:55 AM »
Thanks for sharing your history with the Lyme.   Do you still have it?   Have you had tests to show that you are free of the bacteria?  From what we have experienced and read, it can stay dormant in it's host for years.

And, I know we're all curious to know just what OPC is.  Is it a product name or initials for something? 

I guess I'm asking if you could give us some more in-depth information. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline His#1Girl

• Learning
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2007, 09:53:45 AM »
As far as I know, once you have had Lyme's disease you will always test positive.  This is because current tests do not test for the disease itself: they test for the immunities your body is producing.  I have heard that they have new tests that this is not correct of, but I am not certain. This I do know: the OPC's tend to keep my Lyme dormant, and combined with paying attention to my health I think I'll do okay.  But only time will tell.

Here is a website telling more about OPC's:  http://www.opc.cc/index.html

I never did understand just how they worked myself, and I'm not certain that they cure everything in everyone as is often claimed.  But they did make a huge difference in my life.
"Absolute power is when a man is starving and you are the only one able to give him food."  Robert Mugabe, Zimbabwe Dictator.

Stop the NAIS.  Visit www.nonais.org

freshisbest

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2007, 01:05:09 PM »
Here in CT Lyme's is rampant. Consensus is, get the tick off within 24 hours of the bite and you should be ok. As to injesting milk infected with it...I would have to believe the stomach acid kills it. Or maybe I would just like to believe that!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2007, 06:45:44 AM »
Thank you for your replies.  I am wondering about Lyme's disease, it has come up recently from a few people.  I looked on some other threads and got some information and some recommendations for some books that I am checking out at the library.  I had never considered that, but I have almost 40 symptoms from a list I saw on line, 20 was the number that said you should strongly consider being tested.  I don't know where to start, to be tested I mean.  I know nothing about Lyme's disease right now, I am nursing, could it affect my nursing toddler?  What about becoming pregnant again?  Is antibiotic treatment the only treatment?  I know I will research this on my own, but anyone with any experience or advice, I would appreciate it.  In one way, I would be sooooo glad to know what is wrong with me, but it also seems like something scary to deal with.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Krissy

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2007, 12:08:03 PM »
I need help. My husband is positive he has Lyme disease but doctors keep brushing him off.  If he has it then he's had it for 8 years, cause that's when he got the bulls eye rash.  He needs to get treated immediately but we can't get a doc to treat him.  Does anyone know a good doc for this in or around the Seattle, WA area?

Offline Becky in WV

• Learning
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2007, 08:54:58 AM »
For those who may be interested, I found this article from Dr. Mercola  which states that you can get Lyme disease by drinking raw milk. 
http://www.mercola.com/2001/jul/25/lyme_disease.htm

I found conflicting information on the WAPF website though.  I would post the link but can't get to their website right now.  Just says it's under construction.  Anyway, it was under FAQ's and it said that you can't get Lyme's from raw milk. 

We talked to our farmer and she was perfectly willing to call her vet and see about getting the cow tested for Lyme's.  But it seems the test could very likely come back negative, if the vet will even do such a thing.  I'm thinking about starting to pastuerize our milk myself just to ease our minds!

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2007, 07:58:02 AM »
A friend of mine has Lyme's disease.  I will see if I can get her to post on here to clear up some of the confusion.  I know she has done a lot of research on it and has found a lot of controversy regarding the diagnosis.  In her csse the doctors were more willing to jump to an MS diagnosis than treat her for Lyme's. 

Offline drmom

• Learning
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2007, 08:14:15 AM »
Yes, there is LOTS of controversy on Lymes.  Much testing - inacurate results, lots of sick people, too.  There are some things that are working for some of us with LYMES. 

Like one of you mentioned - garlic - 4 Theives aka. Super Tonic will help a lot
Then drinking Papaya Leaf or Olive Leaf Tea seems to really make a differance for our six lymes sufferers.  We drink the tea about three x's weekly, almost every other day, this keeps most of the symptoms at bay once we have the Lymes in remission.  When it flares up. like when we are sick or over stressed, we take additional Olive Leaf capsules or tea to help out.  It works so much better than the antibiotics we were on years ago.  Don't know if it would work for everyone but it has been a blessing to us.

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2007, 10:22:49 AM »
Okay, the friend I mentioned read through this thread but did not have time to register herself, this is what she said:
Hi, I'm hurrying, so I'm not going to register, but I want you to tell them I'm a little afraid for them.  When your body learns to fight the Lyme disease,
it learns how to fight your own nervous system, because there are toxins in the spirochete which are very similar to your nervous tissue which are targeted by your immune system. 
 Anyone who has a bull's-eye rash has Lyme disease because that is the only  bacteria which will cause it.  That rash can save your life.  If it is identified and you take several months of just doxycycline you will not have it infiltrate your system.  You can stop it for real and for good only at the beginning.  But 50% of people who have it do not have or notice the rash, or because of co-infections, have a very different rash.  I advise you to send them to the following places to make really sure they are getting the right info:
Use the search to find out what natural things people are trying, etc.  Many of these people have been scared half to death by what they have gone through, as I was. 

And natural is good, but all of the herbs and spices I was taking (at least 15) while being left untreated only barely kept me doing the bare minimum - plus a mandatory 9 hours of sleep at night and 2-3 hour nap every day - but it was not a life I'd wish on anyone.  Three antibiotics and Armour thyroid is what has me symptom-free and close to normal energy.   

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=1

http://www.lymenet.org/help.shtml   this has what to do to get them out of your yard and state reported #s and what to do.

http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/downloads.html  this has many pictures of rashes, and everything you'd want to know.  It has a really good symptoms list.

-I hope some of this helps.  I am so happy she took the time to put all that info in for you guys.  She is very passionate about this since she struggles with it.

Offline upward bound

• Learning
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2007, 12:28:34 PM »
Does anyone know of a Lyme literate doctor who is willing to treat young children?  Our 5 year old and 3 year old both have Lyme disease, but I can't seem to find a Lyme literate doctor less than 3 hours from our home in Delaware.  Our 5 year old is getting worse and I can hardly stand to see her feeling so bad anymore....

My husband, our two oldest sons (10 & 9), my 7 year old daughter and I have been treated by a dr. in NJ, but he won't treat children under 7.   He gave us a referral to a dr. in NY, but that is an all day adventure and one that I am not physically up to right now.

We have had plenty of experience and have learned a lot about this disease.....enough to know that it takes a dr. who is really up on all the latest info.

I would really appreciate any input you all may have!!

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2007, 04:09:56 PM »
Last fall my 4 yo son was treated for a confirmed case of Lymes disease with two weeks of amoxycillin (sp) he has been symptom free since. My 7 yo daughter was treated the same way a few weeks later because of similar symptoms and she fully recovered any symptoms too. I am not sure why they won't treat unless it is really advances or something??? Maybe seek a regular dr near by who would be willing to give antibiotics--I am total anti-antibiotic, but I am glad we went this route.

Bless you in your efforts!! My hubby also got erlyciosis (sp?) the summer before-- not fun at all !!
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2007, 08:25:44 PM »
This is not advice but I wondered what the symptoms are?

sarahlarae