Author Topic: Potty Training - Hints and Tricks  (Read 80103 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Potty Training - Hints and Tricks
« Reply #150 on: August 18, 2008, 07:29:19 AM »
Ok, can someone help me?  I have an almost 3 year old.  She has been doing really good at the potty, I started her pretty young, back and forth.  Anyway, here is the problem, she will go pee in the potty but not #2?  She knows she is supposed to, but she doesn't.  WHY???  Whenever we went on vacation, camping, she will do #2 no problem.  So, as soon as we get home, bam, going in her pants again. ???

I just don't know what to do.  I've tried punishing her, telling her no TV show that she likes, etc.  Is it maybe because when we are camping, vacation, she is right by me more?  It seems when she is quiet somewhere playing that I've discovered she has done it???

She is the next to youngest, with a baby brother who is 18 months.

Thanks
Wendy
Potty Training #2: Hints & Tricks
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline djroys

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #151 on: January 13, 2009, 06:13:34 PM »
Hi, I have a 4 yr. old son who was very easy to potty train when he was two for pee-pee.  It took him awhile to poo-poo in the potty but he finally did it.  When he turned three he developed a sudden aversion to sitting on the potty to poo-poo and has kept that aversion ever since.  He absolutely refuses to relieve his mess in there and will wait until he is in his diaper for nap time or at bedtime and will pass it in there in bed right after he is put in bed or during his sleep.  I know he is capable of using the potty because he has used it before- we tried disciplne, rewards, praise, disapproval, sitting on the potty or a long time, the potty beside the bed all without any change. Am I just worried about something that will resolve itself in time or am I missing something?

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #152 on: January 14, 2009, 03:33:10 AM »
Well, I was having trouble with my dd, just wouldn't go poo in potty no matter what.  Finally, one day around halloween, I had a bag of candy corn.  Once night after dinner I went around the table and passed out candy corn to everyone who used the potty.  I felt so bad because she was so upset because she didn't get any.  But she started to use that potty!!  And that was that, she has used it ever since, and she only wanted candy corn for maybe a week or so. ;)

It's worth a try. 

wendy

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #153 on: January 14, 2009, 05:27:00 AM »
We used the same method as wendy with children who we knew understood how to control their body functions.  There were privileges that were only for those who were not babies.   We didn't make a big issue of this, it was handled quite matter-of-factly.   Too much drama and attention will make any refusal into a battle of wills.  YOU need to stay in charge.  After a year of this, it may take a bit longer to re-train him. 

At 4 yrs old, I would skip the diaper and have him doing the clean up of any accidents.  Of course, you will want to protect the mattress with a plastic cover. 

*I had a couple who were long term bed-wetters, though, and we knew that it wasn't a matter of them refusing to obey.* 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline Aura

• Adept
« Reply #154 on: April 28, 2009, 05:13:09 AM »
Hello,

I am looking for any advise!  I am hitting a wall with my 2 1/2 yr old son.  I read the book "how to potty train in less than a day"  and started with my son.  He does everything perfectly except go potty!!  He holds his urine on the potty and will produce a dribble but get up and a few minutes later urinate on the floor.  I have explained to him that it isn't good to go on the floor and bribed him to stay on the toilet when I know he has to go but he still will hold his urine. 

Does anyone have any tricks?  I've tried dipping his hand in water, reading to him to get him to relax, bribing him to stay on the pot for an hour and still nothing.  I am getting so frustrated and my husband would like this finished this week.    He is so smart....to smart with this!!  Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
Stephanie

My 2 1/2 year old dd did not want to potty train either. She KNEW what to do, just didn't want to/have motivation to. I had tried everything I could think of, but I finally figured what I really needed to do was figure out what MOTIVATED her.

I went to Walmart and bought a pack of those panties that have the days of the week on them. Then, I bought some prizes for each day of the week. I took them home and wrapped them. Then on Monday, I showed her the new pair of panties and wrapped gift and explained to her that if she still had Monday's panties on at bathtime, then she could open her gift. She made it all day on Monday with NO ACCIDENTS. I repeated this all week. She never missed a day. For her, it was all about the right motivation.

Oh, and I made a big deal about her being a big girl and really gave lots of praise when she got the present...the whole family got around and ooohed & ahhhed over her gifts. We kept telling her what a "big girl" she was. After that week, she did have one day where she had a couple of accidents, and even after I acted disappointed and reminded her that she was a "big girl" now, she didn't seem like that made a difference to her. (This is where you need to know your child.) I realized that if I wasn't careful, she was going to revert to being un-pottytrained. So, I threatened to take away her gifts--they were only for big girls.  :-\ Didn't want to do that, but didn't want her going backwards, either. No more problems.

Then, my 4-yr-old ds wanted in on the gift-giving.  :D He's been potty-trained for quite some time, but he still had accidents at night, so he still wore Pull-Ups to bed. I told him that if he went a whole week with dry Pull-Ups in the morning, I'd get him a present. Well, he made it on the first try, too.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 05:17:54 AM by Aura »

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #155 on: April 28, 2009, 06:34:05 AM »
My ds turned 2 in Jan, the youngest of 4.  I haven't actually started yet, he goes sporadically.  But, with my 3 yr old she just wouldn't go poo in the potty, always in her pants.  So finally, I started handing out candy corn (the treat we had at the time)to everyone that used the potty.  When I came to her, she didn't get any.  She was so upset, that from that day on she only had 1 accident after that.  It was hard to not give it to her, but it really worked.

Maybe you could try that. :)

I'm waiting until school is over before I tackle this feat with the last one, he has trouble going poo too.  He is always holding it in until he can't take it anymore.  So I'm working on getting him to go better, prune juice, etc.

wendy

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #156 on: September 08, 2009, 03:40:07 AM »
Didn't see this question brought up on this thread at all, so I'll go ahead and ask.

Anyone had a child potty-trained successfully, days and nights, and then go back to wetting at night? My ds, age 2 1/2 has been trained quite well since 2. Took a little longer to be trained for night, but he's been waking up 1-2 times per night to go potty and staying dry, for at least a couple months now.

Recently, he's been wetting almost every night again! Sometimes he wakes up in the middle of the night, bawling because he's soaked, other times just sleeps through it all and wakes up soaked in the morning. We've begun putting diapers on again for nighttime.

Just wondering what could be causing this, and if it is something maybe he should be disciplined for, or if it's normal or what? He's usually quite upset when he finds himself wet.

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #157 on: September 08, 2009, 05:26:37 AM »
Anyone had a child potty-trained successfully, days and nights, and then go back to wetting at night? My ds, age 2 1/2 has been trained quite well since 2. Took a little longer to be trained for night, but he's been waking up 1-2 times per night to go potty and staying dry, for at least a couple months now.

Recently, he's been wetting almost every night again! Sometimes he wakes up in the middle of the night, bawling because he's soaked, other times just sleeps through it all and wakes up soaked in the morning. We've begun putting diapers on again for nighttime.

Yes.  Most of our kids have done this at some point.  I've narrowed down the two biggest factors for my kids.  First, a drop in blood sugar during the night will trigger bed wetting (see the bed wetting thread).  We try to avoid snacks just before bed, especially starchy or sugary things (bread, fruit, etc).  We also do not drink juice at all.  Orange juice at breakfast is awful, I think it just gets the blood sugar out of whack for most of the day.  Second, simply being over tired.  They just won't wake up in the middle of the night to go potty if they are exhausted.  Getting to bed on time is important, but also rest during the day can help, even if they don't go to sleep.  My five year old plays really hard and sometimes still needs a nap.  He really doesn't like this, but oh well.  Don't know if that helps or not, you might look on the bedwetting thread.

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #158 on: September 08, 2009, 08:06:27 AM »
Sometimes they do that during a growth spurt too. 
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #159 on: September 08, 2009, 09:25:00 AM »
Thanks! Those are interesting thoughts... I did wonder if it might be sleep-related, because it seemed to start at a time when we were really busy and he wasn't getting much of a nap during the day.

I wonder how to go about training him back out of it? We talked about waking him in the night to go bathroom... Or will he just get back on track on his own?

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #160 on: September 08, 2009, 09:35:24 AM »
He is probably sleeping so soundly that he just doesn't wake up. 

For a couple of nights, I might get him to drink a lot during the day, and then limit drinks right before bed.  Also maybe just before you go to bed, take him to the potty.  If that's too late because he is already wet, then try an hour earlier.  Two-three is still pretty early for full night time control especially for a little boy.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline brightspot

• Adept
« Reply #161 on: September 09, 2009, 11:02:32 PM »
Has he been through some type of tramatic experience? Our son was fully trained for 3 months when he went through a very tramatic experience, he started wetting all the time. After a couple weeks, we had him back to just night wetting. He is now six and just started to be dry most nights. It's been a trying time!

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #162 on: October 13, 2009, 04:58:19 AM »
I just realized I never posted this tip and I think it's so helpful.  I mentioned that my kids go bare-bottomed when they are first learning.  Obviously, in cold weather that doesn't work out well, so i use leg warmers to keep them toasty warm.  Baby Legs are very popular, but also very expensive.  I got a few pairs on sale and with a coupon for half the usual cost.     ~L

Offline Becks

• Adept
« Reply #163 on: October 13, 2009, 06:16:43 AM »
What a cute idea.  I bet that looks hilarious! :D  My husband said, "I guess chaps would work for that western look." ROTFL ;D
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 08:40:25 AM by Becks »

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #164 on: October 15, 2009, 05:36:19 PM »
LOL  I could just picture the chaps.  With halloween coming, I bet you could get them, too.  I could just imagine what my husband would say if he came home to my 1yo daughter on the potty in chaps!  Oh, man, this is going to have me giggling for days....        ~L

Offline amlucy

• Learning
« Reply #165 on: December 17, 2010, 02:42:46 AM »
My oldest (3 1/2) pretty much potty trained herself starting at 18 months and was completely out of diapers at age 2. My 19 month old is showing no signs of wanting to potty train and I'm having another baby at the end of Feb. Curious if I should just wait until she is ready or if I need to be progressing more on the issue? I've heard if you push too hard thayt they're harder to train. Would love some advice!  :)