Author Topic: Potty Training - Hints and Tricks  (Read 74625 times)

Offline dleeandcc

• Learning
Potty Training - Hints and Tricks
« on: May 17, 2006, 10:13:52 AM »
I have a six month old girl and would like to potty train her.  She suggesfully used the potty once but has not since.  I seem to be too late when I take her to the potty. I've read all the articles in the ngj newletters and books to give me a few ideas.
And I've talked  to a couple of older lady's who have more children but they just wait on the child to be ready to potty than to train them to go earlier.
 If any one has tried or succeded in potty training or has any ideas  - please help me - . 

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
Re: Potty Training - Hints and Tricks
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 10:23:19 AM »
I'm not sure but it seems like there is a difference between early potty training and late potty training. With potty training babies it seems to be far more like a "Pavlov's Dogs" response...somehow you must get the child to associate the potty with moving their bowels...it becomes a physiological response to stimulation. I'm not sure if this can be accomplished with an older infant or if it needs to be done soon after birth.

Once the child gets older it seems to be much more about bladder maturity and actual mental understanding of the role of the potty. My son is 3 years, 3 months old and has been going on the potty for the last week. He has shown signs of readiness for a long time but he had trouble connecting it to the desire to go on the potty. I'm not sure what changed but he expressed a desire to wear big boy pants and has fairly consistently gone on the potty the last few days. I expect to see him trained fully in another week or two (just for daytime.)

I am looking for more insight into this subject. I do know it's possible to truly potty train babies and not just "parents" but I don't know if there is a window of opportunity or what. Can someone weigh in who knows more about it?

Offline servantgirl

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 11:16:13 AM »
Hi
I don't know about training infants, other than what NGJ says. However I can heartily recommend, from experience, the book, Toilet Training in Less Than a Day, by Azrin and Foxx. I suggest it for kids age 1 and up. It took my sons and my neices each less than a day to be trained on this method. My sons were around 2 and my neices were around 1 when they each were trained. It works even if you don't follow it 100%. My SIL only did half of the steps with my neices, and it still worked.
Blessings!
Jen
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Offline sarajane

• Adept
    • www.herbsareeasy.com
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 08:30:04 AM »
Sounds like an interesting book. I am trying to potty train my one year old. I was practicing infant potty training with her when she was 3 months up until she was 9 months. I only did it part time though and now regret not going for full time. I quit and now feel like we are starting all over. I think she remembers the potty somewhat though since she was on it every day for so long then we slowly tapered off.

I have talked to many women who potty train their older infant. It can be done. They use the "elimination communication" method (which is also called infant potty training sometimes). I remember with Neveah when she was younger I would just know when she was going (poo) and would take her to the potty and tell her what she was doing (poo poo). She caught on. If she peed I would tell her pee pee and after a while she really caught on. Now that I am thinking about it I am remembering why we stopped doing it all the time.....she just kinda started to shy away from going #2 on the potty for some reason. Can't remember why she did but it just happened and I didn't push. But here we are at it again. Starting slow. Mainly trying to "catch" the first morning and after nap pee pees and will go from there.

Good luck with your little one. I will share more if I come up with anymore information for you.
Mommy to Neveah, 2 year old who lives with Jesus, Larissa 4, Gavin 2. Help meet to Jason for 9 years.

Offline jenny4wen

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 08:40:09 AM »
This is an interesting subject to me.  I read the book "Trickle Treat"  (Sorry, I borrowed it, and don't remember the author's name) and my daughter at 3 months followed the line of the book perfectly!  I had her completely potty trained so that  when she needed to go, she would fuss a little, and I would take her to the bathroom and she would releave herself both 1 and 2 as needed.  I used 2 diapers a day (didn't have time to make any undies that fit her) and saved a ton of money!  Unfortunately around 6 months old, I developed kidney stones, and went through a long process (un-needed) that took me away from being a good mom and wife.  My daughter was re-trained to go in her diaper.  She is 2.5 now, and doing very good at potty training again.  She goes all day in undies, even through nap time.  But all night is too hard yet.  But that's ok. :)

I haven't been able to get that book back to refresh my memory to try on my son.  I believe its too late.  HE's 7 months already.  I also heard its harder to train boys than girls.

Anyway, as a new mom, I didn't want to leave my baby, so when I would go to the bathroom, she would be in there too, and I would tell her what I was doing (going potty) and at three months, I caught her a couple times right after nap or waking up, and sat her on the potty, and she went.  She actually prefered it by her unwillingness to go in her diaper. :)
I'm smiling! :D

Offline CinCapri

• Adept
    • Knights and Maidens Gathering
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 12:20:23 PM »
I also read Trickle Treat and potty trained my 2 month old dtr to go in the toliet both pee and pooh. My husband was doubtful until one day I had to go out on an errand and I told him what to do and she potty'd for him. He was a believer! 

Training at 6 months old it's a bit trickier I would imagine because they are moving a whole lot more.  Trickle Treat outlined it best and if you follow their suggestions and keep a smile on your face you can do it. Otherwise, don't stress out and leave it until baby is older. 

Enjoy~ Cinnamon

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 07:08:11 AM »
Once upon a time, I said that I was going to try the infant potty traing thing when I had kids.  Now... My oldest daughter is 2 1/2.... and we haven't started yet.   I am a little scared of starting.  I know that once I start, I have to follow through.  It will be good not to have two in diapers, though.  Any advice from you moms who have been there, done that?   I'd love to hear what worked for you and what didn't.  Any tips of advice will be greatly appreciated!  I plan to start in June.

Oh, I read about a probuct called Bumberchutes pants.  They are little cloth pantys, and you put a disposible liner in them.  The pantys are washable.  The liners are way cheaper than pull-ups (though they don't help any with #2)  It seems like it might be a good idea for nights, church, and other outings.  What do you think?

Offline TwinkleToes

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 07:45:47 AM »
When my little girl started toddling around I would take off her diaper first thing in the a.m. and leave her buck naked most of the morning.  It was un-intentional actually.  I am quite dis-organized and in-efficient and it amounted to me not getting around to putting clothes on her and she was quite happy to streak around in her birthday suit.  She would have the occasional accident which really upset her.  I didn't mind, but she did and so she gradually started becoming more aware and sometimes asking for a diaper so she could go potty.  I then realized that she was starting to self train so I started encouraging her to use the big potty and rewarded every deposit with a treat.  We gradually moved toward underwear and *very* brief outings without a diaper and would constantly ask her if she needed to go potty.  She had a few mishaps in the carseat (and even a few in public), but we took it all in stride and eventually it just came together.  I say she really potty trained herself because I had no specific plan. It just kind of happened.  And it was over the course of months, maybe even a year.  I can't honestly remember.  I don't know how well this would work for a boy because of the anatomical differences -- it could be a lot messier with a boy.  But I really am happy the way it worked out with my girl because I feel like it was so low key, no pressure, in her own time as her body (and brain) was ready.  Probably goes along with my slow way of doing things in general.  Might not be so good for the efficient type.  There's so many different methods and ways to accomplish the same end result.  One of my *very* efficient friends trained her daughter within a week and others have done it in a day.  Whatever works for you.  One thing I noticed, though, with my friend is that although her daughter was "trained" she had about 1 minute from the time she said "I need to go potty"  before all was let loose, so to speak.  Whereas my daughter (once she remembered to tell me) seemed able to hold on a little longer if I couldn't find a bathroom right away.  I think this is because her brain/bladder adjusted more gradually.  The end result of course is now both girls are at the same level of bladder control.  Don't know if this all makes sense??? 
Here's a potty training thread someone else started.... http://welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,581.0.html
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 07:47:34 AM by TwinkleToes »

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 09:43:15 AM »
i have potty trained two girls in relatively short order with an M & M for each tinkle and 2 for #2!  it worked great!   ;D  when i started with them they were ready.  they are 3 years apart, so this was not at the same time.  i agree with keeping it no pressure.  it's much easier on mom and child.  we put a diaper on when going somewhere just for ease. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline PurplePen

• Learning
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 11:09:00 AM »
I waited until my son was almost 3 because I, too, was scared to start.  Once I started, I was amazed at how well he did.  I have recently potty-trained my 2 year old daughter with much success too, so I'll share what I learned:  1) Boys really are more difficult to train, and I'm glad I waited with him.  He just wasn't ready as soon as my daughter.  2) Like you said, once you start, stick with it!  They'll just get confused with false starts and think they have an option. (You may want your first day training to be planned ahead so that someone can watch the other child(ren).)  Along those same lines, using pull-ups all the time doesn't really count because aren't they really just diapers that pull up and down?  And our children really are smart enough to know that they can go in their pull-ups just like they did in their diapers.  (I do believe in pull-ups for naps and bed and trips at first, though.  The more work I can save myself, the better!)   3) Rewarding them with my reactions and attitude went much, much farther than any jelly bean ever did!  I was absolutely amazed at how much my children wanted to please me and wanted me to be excited when they went pee-pee or poo-poo in the potty.  (Of course, a jelly bean never hurt either, especially for poo-poo. :))  This was an invaluable lesson for me because I can use my positive (and negative) responses to help train them in other areas also.  4) Once you believe your child understands the concept well and sense that his/her accidents really aren't on accident, then disciplining them is probably in order.  One idea that worked well for me was to wash off their "dirty, gross, poo-poo bums" in the cold, cold bath tub while making sure I expressed my disappointment clearly.  The cold water just helps reinforce that going on the potty is much, much easier, especially when mom jumps up and down clapping and shouting praises when he/she does it right.  Hope this helps!

Offline servantgirl

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 01:26:11 PM »
Hi,
I alredy posted this on another topic, I think it was about potty training infants. But I wanted to mention it again. I also waited till my oldest was about 2 1/2, because I was scared. I thought I would do it  wrong, or not be consistent enough. I had all kinds of advice, most of it terrible, from older women. I knew I didn't want to do what they did, but I didn't know what I DID want to do. I prayed.
Then the Lord sent me to a book which I believe is now out of print, called Toilet Training in Less Than a Day. The title was intriguing. I read it and it made sense. It's like a potty training bootcamp, takiing all the best methods and combining them. I read and re-read it to make sure I would do it right. Finally I was ready. I had 4 hours to work with.
I did most of the recommended stuff. Halfway through I wondered if it was a good idea, but I stuck with it, and by 4 hours he was totally trained. Seriously. Diapers the day before, regular underwear just like Dad's from then on. I did use pull ups at night, but he rarely needed them.
I had the same experience with my other son with the technique as well, but I wasn't as worried about doing it perfectly.
My SIL did it with her daughters when they were just over age 1. I wasn't sure about it being done so early, but they got it. I think it took a few days of review instead of 1.
I thank God that he led me to that book, I feel that I probably would have messed things up if I had tried to muddle through it on my own.
Blessings, ;D
Jen
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Offline PurplePen

• Learning
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 01:43:41 PM »
I bought a book too.  It's an e-book that I bought on ebay for $5.00.  It was written by a mother who has potty trained her 7 (I think) kids successfully.  She claims training in 4-6 hours and it worked wonders with both my kids.  It gave me confidence and a plan.  She has some great tips and it's a quick read.  I think it's called Real Potty Training Help.  I totally recommend it!

Offline jeniwren

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2006, 06:38:04 PM »
I don't know if this topic is still hot or not, but I wanted to add my 2 cents.

I began potty training my daughter when she was 6 months old because she had ultra sensitive skin and was getting bad diaper rashes. I kept her in a cloth diaper for about a week and a half and tried to make a "sssssss" sound everytime I felt the diaper get warm. I thought that she was too mobile for this method to be extremely effective. I kept her in cloth and began sitting her on the potty whenever I thought she needed to go; especially after a nap or meal. I would make the sounds, "ssssss" for tinkle and "poo-poo" for #2. She really thought this was a great game and she would go on the potty for me. She wasn't Trained, but she was In-Training. My daughter is now 2 years old and has been wearing panties for about 5 months. She still wears diapers at night, during naps (even though she wakes up dry), and in the nursery at church (for THEIR sake). We put her on the pot before we go places, after she wakes up, etc. Sometimes she lasts 3 hours, and sometimes she has accidents; but she has NEVER been afraid to use the toilet. It's just been a normal part of life. I am very thankful.
With my son I began at 2 months. I did the same cloth diaper trick with the corresponding sounds. By 4 months he never messed in his diapers. HOWEVER, once we began solids his bowel movements became infrequent (constipation!) and he would explode in his diaper at any old time. So since 6 months of age we've been working on getting him "regular". He still goes potty in the toilet (#1 and #2), but not exclusively.
Good luck. Hope this helps.

Offline sunflower

• Learning
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2006, 06:57:05 PM »
Potty training....I just finished with my 3 year old. 

We stared over 6 months ago just staying in the kitchen having her play in her panties and I would put her on the little potty every 15 minutes waiting for that moment when she would finally pee in it. 

After that I would be so excited if she had dry panties...I would give her M&M's.  I would have to say that it is all it took for my first born child.  She did great from then on....AND my now 3 year old is a different story. 

I am not sure if it was her age, timing, or my doing, but it took so many practice times that friends who would come over would ask for her and I would say she is playing in the bathroom or I left her on the toilet to practice going potty.  Some people might go crazy at me for doing that but I did not trust her in panties out on the carpet or someones house. 

I finally just one day said you are a big girl, we have practiced enough, now here are your big girl panties...no more diapers.  Mommy loves dry panties.  Keep them dry.  And though out the day I would make her go potty or check her panties if they were dry and give her M&M's.  Always followed up with mommy loves dry panties.  I hope this helps.

Offline jeniwren

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2006, 08:15:48 PM »
Further thoughts.

When I began potty training I decided I didn't want one of those "little" potties because I didn't want to clean it. So we have always used a portable potty seat. I like it, but I have come to see 2 positives to the "kiddy" toilet.
1. convenient timing. you can put them on the potty whenever you go. you can just hold them on it at the same time you're using the big potty. this way they are experiencing potty time much more frequently.
2. take themselves. they can got to the toilet on their own at a much earlier age. my daughter has to haul the stool to the base of the toilet, put the potty seat on top of the big seat, climb up, turn around, pull her pants down (using me as a support), wiggle back onto the seat, etc. etc. Plus I'm afraid she'll fall in the big toilet!

Just wanted to offer out this info. in case no one else has thought of it.
Also, for travel we carry a potty seat in a plastic bag, so that no matter where we are we can consistently continue our training. At first we didn't want our babies to use public potties, but I figure they have to learn at some point and I don't want to confuse them. We make sure to wipe seats down and use toilet seat covers underneath our potty seat. Then we wash hands all around.

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2006, 03:00:05 AM »
.  One idea that worked well for me was to wash off their "dirty, gross, poo-poo bums" in the cold, cold bath tub while making sure I expressed my disappointment clearly.  The cold water just helps reinforce that going on the potty is much, much easier, especially when mom jumps up and down clapping and shouting praises when he/she does it right.  Hope this helps!

what a great Idea!!!!!  I am training my 19 mo old right now, just simply because he is ready.... I wasnt going to this early but then he started waking up dry every morning, so i quick took him, and then soon he knew what he was supposed to do in the potty, he has not done #2 yet, if he has a problem getting started with peeing i put his hand in a glass of warm water, or trickle some warm water over his leg, he too LOVES when mommy shreiks with delight and clapps....   its so fun loving our children isant it? ;D

Offline jeniwren

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2006, 08:59:21 AM »
washing the bum off in cold water is what we have done also. my daughter hates it, she still screams. she also still has accidents from time to time  :( but then she's only two.

i have an idea if you have an older child who has yet to train or is afraid to go poo-poo in the toilet. it worked for my sis. train the younger baby to go on the potty, the bigger sibling is challenged and says "hey, if he can do it, i can do it." so he sucks it up and goes poo in the potty. maybe it'll work for someone else too!

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2006, 01:41:10 PM »
My earliest pottytraining was 14 months for days and 17 overnight without accidents day or night (except the time my husband didn't believe my daughter really had to go ::))  My latest was 17 months for days and 18-19 months overnight with occasional accidents because I was too busy to be consistent and get him on the toilet quickly enough when he asked.  (poor kid!)
   Anyway, I also used the no pants method (followed by just undies, then full clothing at home, then quick errands, etc.)  I like the naked route because if they see the mess they make and have to help clean it up (without any smiles from mom) they usually pick up the concept pretty quickly.
  Plus, this age is perfect because the tykes are so eager to please.  We do a silly happy dance when we make it to the toilet and clap until our hands hurt....but just a sad "oh no! What a yucky mess you made!"  when we don't.  I have never used food as a reward  because I think at this age pleasing mama means more, and I like to encourage that as well.  I am amazed at the level of pride kids can display at accomplishments, even at this young age when they are shared by parents!
  Good luck!                                              ~L

Offline Julie G

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2006, 04:34:39 PM »
My hubby and I are already talking about training our newborn...in a few weeks though.  (2 kids in diapers is 2 kids too many :D

I have a question about the book that was recommended, "Trickle Treat".  Is it worth it to buy the book?  What I mean is, is there a method they recommend or is it pretty much what's been stated already either on this forum or NGJ?  I would rather not spend the money unless there is something significant in the book that hasn't been mentioned.  On the other hand if it was really helpful having it I'm all for buying it.

I'm thinking we'll need to wait until Eli is at least 3 weeks old.  I tried to get him to go tonight....he just got really upset and started crying harder(I can tell when he's getting ready to do #2, I'm clueless with #1).  The problem is he goes #2 while he's nursing  :-\.  He was squirming a lot and I tried to place him over the potty...he just got more and more upset because I wasn't feeding him.  Shortly after I started nursing him he went.  :)  Am I missing something or is it in fact too soon to try.  I really don't like diapers   :P.
Ellie:  (when she was 3 years old)  "Mama, you sure got a big butt to sit with!"

Offline jenny4wen

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2006, 06:20:27 PM »
Hey Julie!

Exciting to train young babies to be potty trained!  Kudos!  I read the book with my first (It was loaned to me), and I read it a few times.  I wanted to do this with my boy, and never ordered the book, and just haven't been as eager to try it with him.  I"ve heard boys are harder, and we just moved this winter, and schedules are out of wack.  Anyway, lots of excuses, I know :)  .  We saved a ton of money on diapers having Tati potty trained, and it worked well.  The book recomends the third month as the best, but it can be done over a range of months.  I would recomend the book, I believe you can order pretty cheap if you look around. :)  Happy training! :D
I'm smiling! :D

Offline jeniwren

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2006, 07:58:53 AM »
Julie,
putting a newborn straight on the potty is probably inconvenient and hard on the baby. I always did a week of cloth diapers (training) and made a sound for every pee-pee or bowel movement. Then I transfered them to the potty and made the same noise. I'd start the actual toilet training during a non-stressful time (like when they're not trying to nurse  : ;)).
I began training my son at 2 months and he trained faster and better than my daughter. You gotta be careful of the squirter of course, but I can honestly say he's peed on me a total of 7 times since birth and he's almost a year old now (that includes diaper changes).
Good luck.

Offline Julie G

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2006, 01:00:34 PM »
I'd start the actual toilet training during a non-stressful time (like when they're not trying to nurse : ;)).

LOL  Oh my goodness!!  That is so funny....I totally agree!!...Sorry having a visual of trying to nurse my baby while he's on the toilet. ;D   I realize that's not what you're trying to say...just how my strange brain is working.

I can honestly say he's peed on me a total of 7 times since birth and he's almost a year old now (that includes diaper changes).
Good luck.

Okay....I have already been peed on 5 times and he's 5 days old!!! :o  I'm so illiterate in changing boys diapers (who knew it would be so hard )...my girl was so much easier!  I feel like I need someone to come over to my home and show me how to change him... ;)

So we're looking at waiting until he's two months old?  Anyone done it earlier...and if so was it successful?  Just trying to get a realistic picture of when we can do this.  I think we'll get Trickle Treat and take it from there...I'm very excited about getting him out of diapers.  Thank you all for your help!
Ellie:  (when she was 3 years old)  "Mama, you sure got a big butt to sit with!"

Offline jeniwren

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2006, 07:09:07 PM »
tips on changing a boy diaper.
I started out with a girl and when my son was born I was a mess, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (we'd heard some BAD stories).
Here goes:
1. put fresh diaper under bum before removing old diaper (that's how we always caught the runny poops. sometimes we went through like 4 diapers before he'd keep it clean.)
2. cover penis with top of fresh diaper or with a kleenex or wipe to keep him from peeing ON you, then the diaper catches it and it all just soaks in
This is all we did and rarely had problems. If my son did pee in the middle of a diaper change it was caught in the diaper, so no worries.
If you're already doing this then...good luck, you've got a tough one :)

Offline Kristin_19_78

• Learning
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2006, 02:11:18 PM »
The second story on this page is about a "late" starter. The site helped me alot. http://www.freewebs.com/freetoec/inotherwords.htm    My month old baby girl has been going on the pot for the past three weeks...not all the time, but I'm getting better.  :)

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2006, 04:20:22 AM »
O.K. , i'm almost embarrassed to post this with all these baby potty trainers here. :-\  My son is 2 1/2 and at a little before 2 he seemed ready to potty train so i went for it. In one day he had it. I was beside myself since potty training is NOT my fav. thing to do. Several wks. later he started dribbling a little before he would tell me. I thot not a big deal. Within a week he had totally regressed. We tried everything. I was desperate!!!!!!!!!!! My husband even stayed home one Sat. with him and worked with him. Zachary adores and respects his daddy but at the end of the day...no difference. A friend told me to back off, he's just not ready.. Much to my shock, my husband agreed. So back in pampers altho he'll go when i put him on. That was a while ago and he now comes and asks me to change him because he pooped. So here we go again. He is not a strong willed little guy. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2006, 04:30:11 AM »
My son didn't potty train until a month ago and he's coming up on 3 and a half...I would definitly NOT worry and not push it! I really think it's true that if you don't train early that you should train late.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2006, 06:30:07 AM »
O.K. , i'm almost embarrassed to post this with all these baby potty trainers here. :-\ 

I potty trained (training) all 3 of my kids the "worldly" way.  Nothing to be ashamed of.  Hang in there, he'll get the idea.  Try to make it fun if you can.  Lots of praise, hoorays and put some cheerios in the potty to aim at.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2006, 07:56:04 AM »
I have a ton of respect for any parent who can potty train an infant, but I personally wait until they are walking and saying one-syllable words.  Each child is so different in all areas of development, and it's not fair (but very natural) to compare them.  My kids are really easy potty trainers, and great eaters but none of them are reading yet, and they are light sleepers - so I think it all balances out in the long run.  My goal is to have all of this stuff figured out and mastered by the time they move out, so I figure I have plenty of time! ;D  Seriously, though...it is way more important that you not stress out and really enjoy being together.  The rest will come in it's own time.   God bless!        ~L

Offline jeniwren

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2006, 05:13:08 PM »
I am a die hard on sticking to my guns no matter what (not highly recommened) and even though I began potty training my children as infants, I don't claim that it is the only way. My daughter is a little over two and still has occasional accidents in her panties. She doesn't always tell us when she has to go so if it's been a while we just take her. And we still put her in diapers for long drives or the nursery at church. We put her in panties MONTHS before she was ready. I didn't care though, I figured after a while she'd get it. I dressed her loosely, and washed her off in cold water every time she made a mess. ALSO, I had to run her to the toilet every half hour, eventually 45 min, then an hour, now up to 3 hours. It was really difficult with her not having the verbal ability to tell me she had to go, and without her being able to take herself.
Whatever you do is fine so long as the kid learns that the potty is the respectable place to go. Just don't teach him to pee on trees. He'll get it with time.

Offline boysnme

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2006, 08:22:51 AM »
I have a 2 1 /2 year old boy who has been going potty (if i take him) for 4mo now. I was Hoping someone might have ideas on how to get him to ask on his own. We have tried the treats and are now trying a sticker chart that really worked for my other two boys. Like I said he goes well with a few accidents now and then but we cant get him to ask. I've learned to read his signs when he has to go, he'll follow me around or cling to me but he just wont ask to go. If I ask him he'll say yes or no I would like to have the freedom to not have to think about and remind him all day. He does wear undies during the day which he loves and pull ups at night And stays dry.Thank you for your time and input!

« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 10:06:54 AM by boysnme »