Author Topic: More Kefir  (Read 3761 times)

Offline hacinta

• Learning
More Kefir
« on: October 07, 2010, 05:57:51 AM »
Hi all, I am a newbie. I just registered this morning, I have spent the last couple of days reading the already existing Kefir thread, yes all 21 pages. I am starting a new thread since there is not an option to post a reply on the existing thread. (I am new so I could have missed something)
What a fountain of information, thanks to all of you, I am patiently awaiting the arrival of my kefir grains, today, hopefully.  I did get mine on e bay for $5.00, shipping cost really. I have already used the store brand packets, this was a good way to start and get familiarized with the process, and accustomed to the taste. Also get my husband in tune with it, he thinks I am on a whacky health food tangent again. Although he like yogurt and especially cheese. I am not sure how he thinks its made, he probably doesn't really think about it.

I did read the blog, the visual really helped. What mostly I wanted to comment on was the blender usage. It seems post after post complained about chunks and whey. This totally makes sense to me, whip it all together for a smoothie, it will be all emulsified and creamy. Nice a easy to drink.

This morning I made a yummy, canned pineapple tidbits, banana, and of course keifer along with some grated coconut, all in the blender. Wow was it good, and very filling. I have noticed since I have been drinking kefir, I am not as hungry.
I don't seem to have the cravings for junkie food.

Thanks again for all the info

Offline hacinta

• Learning
Re: More Kefir
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 04:39:46 PM »
Got my grains today !!! Yipeee from the mail box to the mason jar. they had a smell but not a strong yeasty smell. the E bay-er I got them from said her kefir is sweet. She also communicated well with directions. I hope they do well. Mine were fairly inexpensive, if anybody wants her info I will be more than happy to direct yiu.

Offline hacinta

• Learning
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 06:22:41 AM »
They have been marinating in organic 2% for about 18 hours. I can see they have swollen to 3 or 4 times the size. I will harvest at about 24 hours.

Offline hacinta

• Learning
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 04:24:08 AM »
2nd batch completed. The first didn't come out great, it tasted alright but it didn't set up. I am sure its was grain to milk ratio. I will make some bread or something with it.
Since I am the only one using the kefir, my son is gone  :'( well lets say grown. I wonder if I can kefir in the fridge, I know I can store grains that way. But will it make kefir?
My lady who sent me the grains is from Russia, she said her kefir is very sweet. I did not experience the yeasty or nasty taste in the first batch. The second was perfect, or what i think is perfect.  It tastes like plain yogurt, with a little more zing.

Offline hacinta

• Learning
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 04:05:56 AM »
Last nights smoothie was banana cinnamon and honey with some ice. My thin first batch kefir is making sour dough starter as we speak.  Ive created a monster for sure!   ;D
I also used the first batch for cereal, it was good.

Offline hacinta

• Learning
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 04:35:01 AM »
Almost 2 months of kefir making under my belt. I did last week experience a change in the texture, it was thin and grainy. My grains had grown tremendously, I thought it may have to do with the ratio. It was, I was getting much whey, and the creamy texture was gone. I had already split the grains and had to do so again. From what I had read this is normal, the grains are living things and go through changes. Grain menopause perhaps?
They went back to normal
I did last month change to whole, pasteurized, non homogenized organic milk. wow that was a mouthful. My grains adapted well, I did not have a bad batch when I changed.
I did notice one thing, when a batch is ready, and I just do not have the time to stain and fix up a new batch, I place the completed jar in the fridge. Its okay for 12  hours or less. But leaving it for a full 24 hours gives the next batch a lot of whey. As I have done this  a few times in the last week, I work in an airport and the holiday put me near exhaustion with all the extra hours.