Author Topic: Curds and Whey  (Read 22773 times)

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
Curds and Whey
« on: August 03, 2006, 09:27:00 AM »
Well, a couple of days ago we set out a quart of milk (raw) in order to try making cream cheese and whey, as shown in Nourishing Traditions (NT).  Each time I looked at the jar I shook my head.  It just baffels me...wasn't I taught that is you leave milk out too long it goes bad?  And the longer you leave it out the worse it is?  Well, today I opened the jar, after watching my milk disappear, being replaced with "stuff" i'd never seen before.  I was just sure that it was going to be putrid!  It wasnt.  The cheese on top sure looked like cream cheese (it's still draining) and the whey...well, We shall see.  I'm going to try to pickle some grape leaved tomorrow...

I'm just shocked and perplexed by all I've been reading in NT.  So contrary to what "seems right."  Wow.  I feel like I"ve been brainwashed for the past 24 years, just so I could poison myself.  ::) 

Thanks for all the wonderful insights and ideas and "stuff" you all share!!!

Licia
My attempt at blogging:  The Carpenter's Wife

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Curds and Whey
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 10:06:34 AM »
I can relate.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 10:11:16 AM »
IMO Nutritional brain washing can be helped with regular vinegar rinses and liberal splashes of kombucha and kvass. Maintain improvements with regular doses of kefir. Enjoy the new and improved view!  ;D 8) ;)
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 02:09:03 PM »
It just baffels me...wasn't I taught that is you leave milk out too long it goes bad? 

That is because P&H milk (Pasteurized & Homogenized) do go putrid if you let them sit out because all the good bacteria has been killed.  But raw milk is like good wine, it just improves with age.  ;D
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

YoopreMama

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 05:12:47 PM »
Amen to that! ;D

I just made my 1st curds and whey, too.  Using the whey w/ sauerkraut and beets...and any other NT recipes that come along.  Not sure about the cheese stuff, yet.  Any suggestions?  Like cream cheese..chop up some garlic and onion for a spread?  Just pretend it's Philly and do what I'd do with that? 

P.S.
It's supposed to stay good for a month in the fridge...can it be frozen successfully?

« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 04:10:05 PM by Yooper »

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 02:32:31 AM »
We just spread our cream cheese on our toast this morning!  It was a bit bland, so I added some sea salt, dried basil and garlic powder.  It was actually good  :o!!

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 04:48:28 AM »
I love cream cheese and jelly. So if you have some homemade jam, use that or I am sure spreading some honey with it would be great!

Offline musicmommy

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 02:42:48 AM »
Hi!

I'm having trouble making cream cheese this morning.  My yogurt is not very thick and it all ran through the cheese cloth.  What should I do??

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 02:45:02 AM »
Hi!

I'm having trouble making cream cheese this morning.  My yogurt is not very thick and it all ran through the cheese cloth.  What should I do??

My first thought is to put it into a jar and let it sit for a day or so, just to begin to separate, then strain it.  Just a thought; I know NT said you didn't have to lst it sit, but it may help... ???

Good Luck!

Offline musicmommy

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 08:29:20 AM »
Will it spoil?  I used store bought milk instead of raw to make my yogurt.  Just thought I'd ask before I set it out.  ;)

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 10:45:24 AM »
I have no idea.  But my thoughts are thus:

In making the yogurt, the good bacteria and stuff was put back into the milk so it wont spoil.  Again, that is just a thought.  You could just try a quart of it and see what happens, all in the name of scientific experimentation on behalf of WellTellMe, of course. ;D Then you can let us know... :D  O.  I'm sure you will know for certain if it spoils.  :P

Have fun!!

Offline 4my3rascals

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 07:28:18 AM »
I have fresh raw goat's milk.  Can I make Curds and Whey from goat's milk?   Will it separate?

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 07:38:37 AM »
I have fresh raw goat's milk.  Can I make Curds and Whey from goat's milk?   Will it separate?

It should.  I used goat's yogurt to get whey and cheese from, so I would think the milk would do the same. 

Offline 4my3rascals

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 11:14:11 AM »

It should.  I used goat's yogurt to get whey and cheese from, so I would think the milk would do the same. 

Thank you!   I just put it on the counter.   Just did not want to waste 1 quart of goat's milk since I am paying $7 per gallon.

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 11:59:35 AM »
 I have some curds and whey due to a failed yogurt making experiment. What can I do with them? I guess I don't really know if they are curds and whey or not, what I did was start to make yogurt with the starter in the milk (store bought), then I left it out on the counter in an insulated bag, but I wasn't home for 4 or 5 hours and haven't found a good way to keep it warm enough yet without babysitting it, so when I got home and realized it was cold and still liquid I thought I'd warm it back up to 110 on the stove and add more starter, but I forgot about it and let it boil and poof! - it turned into a curds and whey looking mixture! I put some of the whey in a loaf of bread and it worked okay. The curds don't taste bad but they aren't much like cream cheese as you all seemed to indicate. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 10:40:01 AM by JuliaofSunnyside »

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2006, 12:03:36 PM »
Okay, I don't have Nourishing Traditions (I asked my husband for it for Christmas but I think he got me something else instead.) I have some curds and whey due to a failed yogurt making experiment. What can I do with them? I guess I don't really know if they are curds and whey or not, what I did was start to make yogurt with the starter in the milk (store bought), then I left it out on the counter in an insulated bag, but I wasn't home for 4 or 5 hours and haven't found a good way to keep it warm enough yet without babysitting it, so when I got home and realized it was cold and still liquid I thought I'd warm it back up to 110 on the stove and add more starter, but I forgot about it and let it boil and poof! - it turned into a curds and whey looking mixture! I put some of the whey in a loaf of bread and it worked okay. The curds don't taste bad but they aren't much like cream cheese as you all seemed to indicate. Any ideas?

I think that you just made cheese.  Obviously not cream cheese, which doesn't require boiling.  Maybe more like cottage cheese.  The whey can be used for all kinds of things.  I'd drain the curds and sprinkle it on your food like cheese.

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006, 03:05:09 PM »
WOW! I thought cheese making would be a lot harder than that!

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2006, 03:07:59 PM »
Well, a couple of days ago we set out a quart of milk (raw) in order to try making cream cheese and whey, as shown in Nourishing Traditions (NT).  Each time I looked at the jar I shook my head.  It just baffels me...wasn't I taught that is you leave milk out too long it goes bad?  And the longer you leave it out the worse it is?  Well, today I opened the jar, after watching my milk disappear, being replaced with "stuff" i'd never seen before.  I was just sure that it was going to be putrid!  It wasnt.  The cheese on top sure looked like cream cheese (it's still draining) and the whey...well, We shall see.  I'm going to try to pickle some grape leaved tomorrow...

I'm just shocked and perplexed by all I've been reading in NT.  So contrary to what "seems right."  Wow.  I feel like I"ve been brainwashed for the past 24 years, just so I could poison myself.  ::) 

Thanks for all the wonderful insights and ideas and "stuff" you all share!!!

Licia

This is interesting because I've had to throw out some hard-earned breastmilk because I thought it had been sitting out too long. Maybe it just would have been a super-healthy blend of curds and whey !

Offline B

• Learning
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2006, 06:11:06 PM »
The curds don't taste bad but they aren't much like cream cheese as you all seemed to indicate. Any ideas?

My mom has often made 'cheese' with curds. I'll explain as well as I can. - drain the curds very well. To 1 quart curds add about 1 tsp baking soda and stir very well. Let it set like that for a while, about half an hour, you'll see the curds begin to 'melt'. put the mixture in a double boiler and heat it until it is a smooth cheese. The cheese will foam during the heating, so make sure you're pot is large enough. We sometimes add caraway seeds.

Or for a shortcut you could use a microwave...

Offline 4my3rascals

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2007, 05:39:16 PM »
So my source of raw goat's milk is currently "dried up."   I used Seven Stars Farm Organic Whole Milk Plain Yogurt to make curds & whey.  3 days later I have wonderful whey, and the best cream cheese ever.  Added some raw honey and used the sweet cream cheese for icing a carrot cake.  Yum!   

Offline joeswife

• Adept
    • Jumping on the bed.
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2007, 06:22:06 PM »
We have goats and I have tried leaving the milk out to separate. It didn't seem to work...but I don't know If I waited long enough. Goats milk is naturally homogenized (meaning the fat is mixed in). So, I am not entirely sure it will separate. I know you have to use a cream separator (an expensive machine) to get cream of the milk for butter and the like. Plus depending on the breed of goat there may not be much cream. Anyway...If anyone uses goats milk for this purpose please let me know, I am curious.

Cammie

Offline 4my3rascals

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2007, 10:10:57 AM »
If anyone uses goats milk for this purpose please let me know, I am curious.

Cammie

I used goat's milk for my very first batch.  It took about 3 days after it warmed to room temperature, but the whey and cheese easily separated when strained.

YoopreMama

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2007, 04:12:24 PM »
Bumping for more suggestions on what to do w/ curds and/or whey...

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2007, 06:23:26 PM »
This has nothing to do with the current coversation but I've had this link for awhile and meant to post it for those who wonder exactly what whey is.  I am allergic to whey (supposedly a rare allergy).  However, I found this link helpful for understanding what whey is to help me know how to read lables effectively.  Unfortunately, whey is in everything.   :(  Anyways, maybe this will be helpful to someone.

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2007, 04:33:10 AM »
This has nothing to do with the current coversation but I've had this link for awhile and meant to post it for those who wonder exactly what whey is.  I am allergic to whey (supposedly a rare allergy).  However, I found this link helpful for understanding what whey is to help me know how to read lables effectively.  Unfortunately, whey is in everything.   :(  Anyways, maybe this will be helpful to someone.

patti

Could you try giving us that link again?  thanks
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline ~esposita~

• Master
    • Family Fotos
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2008, 09:28:57 AM »
I have quite a bit of whey left over from making mozerella this morning.....what can I do with it?    How do you use it to make the cream cheese?

You can use it to make soup.  May I suggest (1) Potatoe Soup and (2) Don't tell your DH it is different: If he doesn't know he may like it; if he does know...- lets just say 'head trip'.  (My DH smelled the whey/curds while it was curdling and it reminded him of baby barf) :P

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2008, 10:17:33 AM »
thank you  ;D- I also yahooed it and one site said you could even sweeten it and drink it!  use it for bread, soup - as you mentioned and to cook veges or beans in

I am using most of it to make a batch of Ricotta now

Let us know how the ricotta turns out. I tried making it from whey and it didn't work.

Whey, I'm sure is mentioned around here is excellent for soaking beans, rice, quinua, etc. before cooking.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2008, 12:06:20 PM »
This has nothing to do with the current coversation but I've had this link for awhile and meant to post it for those who wonder exactly what whey is.  I am allergic to whey (supposedly a rare allergy).  However, I found this link helpful for understanding what whey is to help me know how to read lables effectively.  Unfortunately, whey is in everything.   :(  Anyways, maybe this will be helpful to someone.

patti

Could you try giving us that link again?  thanks

Oh my goodness!  I didn't put the link in and I'm just seeing this months later?  Good grief.  Sorry.  Now I'll have to go hunting for the link again because I think I deleted it.  I'll see if I can repost it later. 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline southmom2k

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2008, 07:58:47 AM »
Can you just drink the whey plain? I am making curds and whey with raw milk (started yesterday) and I am wondering what on earth to do with whey? I am sure I can figure out what to do with cream cheese! =)
Do you make smoothies with it? Anyone have a good way they like to use whey?
Want to SAVE $5 on your first order at iherb.com??
Enter KAN020 at checkout!

Check out my etsy shop!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/southmom3kids