Author Topic: Healing Muscles After Weight Lifting  (Read 2064 times)

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
  • blessed to be my husband's wife
Healing Muscles After Weight Lifting
« on: August 02, 2006, 07:59:12 PM »
OK...my husband wanted me to ask this.  He has started lifting again, and he was wondering if there is a supplement that will speed the healing of his muscles after he lifts. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 12:17:22 PM by healthybratt »
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Healing Muscles After Weight Lifting
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 08:47:54 PM »
OK...my husband wanted me to ask this.  He has started lifting again, and he was wondering if there is a supplement that will speed the healing of his muscles after he lifts. 

L Glutamine is an amino acid good for muscles and the digestive tract.  Two for one.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 12:17:32 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 01:09:37 PM »
Check this thread also.

MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 12:17:43 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 01:57:39 PM »

Tell your husband: I HEAR YOU BROTHER!

I have found what works well for me- I workout several times a week, and sparr hard at least once a week for TaeKwonDo.  I am sore on a routine basis- so, here is what I do:

At the risk of sharing info that you already know, I will explain the soreness as I understand it.  THe soreness is muscle recovery and chemicals leftover from the strain put on the muscles during the workout- ammonia if I recall correctly.  Its gonna hurt no matter what, yet we can work to shorten the recovery time, and lessen the severity.

After each workout, there are a couple of things that I do to give my body what it needs to recover, and clean out the muscle from the reconstruction I put on it.  I use/sell a product from Advocare that is exceptional for a recovery drink called REHYDRATE- it is like Gatorade (which I drink after a workout if I cant get to my REHYDRATE).  This product is outstanding, and has greatly reduced my recovery times, while providing sustained energy during my workouts.  I love this product.

In addition, I will get some quality protein into my body as soon after the workout as possible, to provide the materials necessary for the muscles to rebuild.

I also will take extra Vitamin C (which is an ammonia scavenger), Garlic Oil, Lecithin, as well as a LOT of water to aid in the movement of nutrients.  Nothing makes sore muscles like a dehydrated body that is trying to rebuild.

I also will eat a lot of fruit, especially berries and pineapple if it is available. 

I have recently added MSM and the Glucosamine Matrix for my joints- which I made sore through an incredibly ignorant thing I did going into Instructor Boot Camp, and now Im paying for it.  MSM and Glucosamine are good for your joints- the MSM as a natural pain reducer and detoxing agent, and the Glucosamine for maintaining excellent joint health.

When I was weightlifting years ago, I took Amino Acid supplements regularly to ensure my body had what it needed, as well as a terrific vitamin supplement.  Today, I use an Amino Acid supplement energy drink from Advocare called SPARK, which is just as good as the REHYDRATE at what it does- I will add this to my REHYDRATE if I am tired going into a workout- it adds a terrific amount of energy- dont drink it before bed, it makes it hard to sleep (I sometimes try and get my wife to drink some before bed  8)).

Anyhow, that is what I do, and it works pretty well- I find I rely most heavily on the REHYDRATE and the SPARK, and then the Vitamin C, fruit, and water. 

Adequate rest helps as well.

G

PS- While I do sell Advocare products, it is more of a feature than a design- I am a wholesale customer (and not actively developing customers or a business), and to be able to use the products mentioned, as well as a few others because they do work well for me.  Some folks get bent out of shape when a product reference is made by someone who sells the same product because they think somebody is in it for the money and not their interests.  While I do not have a habit of turning away money, I really dont care if I make a dime in Advocare, I really dont have time for such a business at the moment.  FWIW
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 12:17:53 PM by healthybratt »