Author Topic: Recipes for Homemade Fruit Juices  (Read 4629 times)

Offline CrimsonRose

• {Christy}
  • Adept
  • Big sister to Wind_Dancer
Recipes for Homemade Fruit Juices
« on: March 19, 2008, 07:57:04 AM »
The subject pretty much says what I'm looking for - recipes for those deliciously fresh, homemade fruit juices8)

I recently borrowed Juice! by Pippa Cuthbert from our library and fell in love with the full color, full page photos of her juices. I copied off quite a few recipes and the half ones I've tried so far were keepers. {I'll post my versions of them shortly} But now I'm getting bored and decided to tap the wealth of wisdom here at WTM. Any takers?

Sign the petition and say no to abortion!

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
Re: Recipes for Homemade Fruit Juices
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 08:17:13 AM »
The subject pretty much says what I'm looking for - recipes for those deliciously fresh, homemade fruit juices8)

I recently borrowed Juice! by Pippa Cuthbert from our library and fell in love with the full color, full page photos of her juices. I copied off quite a few recipes and the half ones I've tried so far were keepers. {I'll post my versions of them shortly} But now I'm getting bored and decided to tap the wealth of wisdom here at WTM. Any takers?
I'm excited to see what you post, CrimsonRose...  I love juicing, but my problem is that I hate the "waste" of the fiber... One thing I've started doing is using the blender to liquify things as much as possible and use them in that way... Most often I just blend them with some kefir...
Do you strictly use a juicer, and if so what kind?  Mine is the cheap one from W-M, but it does a decent job.

Offline CrimsonRose

• {Christy}
  • Adept
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 09:32:54 AM »
I'm excited to see what you post, CrimsonRose...  I love juicing, but my problem is that I hate the "waste" of the fiber... One thing I've started doing is using the blender to liquify things as much as possible and use them in that way... Most often I just blend them with some kefir...
Do you strictly use a juicer, and if so what kind?  Mine is the cheap one from W-M, but it does a decent job.

I have only used the juicer to make juice so far. We got the Omega 8005 a couple months ago - I love it! It makes a thick juice, without large bits of pulp. And the pulp that is 'leftover' is very dry (no wasted juice). The citrus pulp is too stringy to reuse, but carrot, apple, pineapple are perfect for throwing in cakes or muffins or whatever. I have some spinach/cilantro pulp in the freezer that I think would be yummy in dips but I haven't tried it yet.

These 'recipes' will be more like ingredient lists, but here's the first two. First amount is the "correct" amount, second is my version.

Blackberry Pie {Spicy}
2 handfuls / 1-12 oz. bag of blackberries

2 apples / 6 apples

Juice berries, then apples. Stir together. Pour into glasses and sprinkle on cinnamon before serving.

One {Warming}

1 / 4 peeled carrot(s)

1 / 4  orange(s)

1 / 4 apple(s)

2 tsp chopped / 2 inches, cut in half, fresh ginger root

Juice all ingredients. Stir well before serving. (Be forewarned - the ginger is STRONG  :o and you may wish to adjust the amounts to your own taste.)

Offline CrimsonRose

• {Christy}
  • Adept
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 11:42:02 AM »
Strawberry Blond {Sweet}

1/4 of / 1 whole pineapple

1 handful / 1 12-oz bag strawberries (raspberries even better!)

1 / 4 orange(s)

Juice pineapple. Pour into glasses. Juice berries and oranges together. Carefully pour on top of pineapple juice. Serve 'layered'. Be sure to stir well before drinking to mix the flavors. (My favorite juice yet ~ so very refreshing!)

ETA:  First amount is the "correct" amount, second is my version.

Offline CrimsonRose

• {Christy}
  • Adept
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 11:45:29 AM »
Orange Sunrise {Sweet}

1 / 4 orange(s)

1 / 2 lemon(s)

3 / 6 carrots

Juice all ingredients. Stir well before serving.

{First amount is the "correct" amount, second is my version.}

Offline CrimsonRose

• {Christy}
  • Adept
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 10:10:14 AM »
This is one my original concoctions...

Cold Cure {snappy} (it's not quite as powerful as Granny Clampett's, but it's close  ;) )

4 grapefruits

2 oranges

2 apples (I prefer cooking apples)

1 lemon, optional

3 to 4 inches of ginger root, cut into chunks

Juice all ingredients. Stir well before serving. (My family prefers this one chilled.)

Yield: 3 to 4 cups of juice (depends on how juicy your citrus is)

Offline CrimsonRose

• {Christy}
  • Adept
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 09:55:41 AM »
This isn't exactly a "juice" recipe - more of a way to use your fresh juice. Come to think of it, this might be a good GF dessert.

Grapefruit Granita {refreshing}

2 1/2 cups fresh pink or ruby grapefruit juice, at room temperature
1 cup boiling water
1/3 cup sugar

Combine juice, water and sugar in bowl and whisk until the sugar has dissolved. Pour liquid into a 13 by 9-inch baking pan. Freeze until hard, about 3 to 4 hours.

To serve, scrape with a fork and spoon the scrapings into small chilled glass bowls.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

{I also made a grapefruit and raspberry version and that was yummy as well.}

Offline CrimsonRose

• {Christy}
  • Adept
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 04:21:17 PM »
Another of my own...

Apple Pie {Crisp}

6 or more apples (I prefer Granny Smith's)

1 lemon

2 to 3 inches of ginger root, cut into chunks

Juice all ingredients. Pour into glasses and sprinkle with cinnamon. Stir well before drinking.

Offline CrimsonRose

• {Christy}
  • Adept
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 04:06:44 PM »
Another juice-stretching recipe... also a good replacement for ice pops.

Mango Green Tea Granita {Verdant}

3 regular size green tea bags

3 c. boiling water

1/4 c. sugar

1/2 to 1 c. mango juice (depends on how much "mango flavor" you want)

Pour boiling water over tea bags and let steep for 5 minutes. Discard tea bags. Add sugar; stir until dissolved. Add mango juice and mix thoroughly. Cool completely. Pour into 8 x 8 pan and freeze until almost firm. 

To serve, scrape with fork and spoon scrapings into glasses. Serve immediately.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 11:12:19 AM by CrimsonRose »