Author Topic: Making Kefir: Recipes, Tips & Tricks  (Read 289624 times)

Offline queentea

• Adept
Re: Making Kefir: Recipes, Tips & Tricks
« Reply #600 on: January 05, 2008, 04:59:14 AM »
has anyone made kefir with raw cream?  I have an excess of cream, but not really milk (have to skim off most of cream for dh and kids) and I need to make more kefir.  Our raw milk supplier is on vacations so I kind of have to ration our milk and would like to use the cream for kefir.  We just use it in smoothies and baked goods anyway.
I'd give it a try. You can use kefir grains in all kinds of juices, teas, and even water, so why not cream? :)
good, cuz their already swimmin' in the cream.  I'm guessing that it will just be thicker than normal, we'll have to see. Thanks!

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #601 on: January 05, 2008, 05:03:04 AM »
I may have asked this b/f, in fact, I know I did but never got an answer.  It looks like I may have to resort to doing store bought milk atleast some of the time for my kefir.  Has anyone done both store and bought and did you notice a difference?  I am wondering if the whole homo problem with drinking the milk would be the same with kefiring or even baking with it?  And is it better to use whole or skim?  I would really appreciate some help on this as my 8 yr old really has had problems with store bought milk in the past.  Thanks.  :)

I've done my kefir three different ways.  With store bought milk (skim) with powdered milk, and now with raw milk.  I think it is better with raw milk!  But IMO it is better have kefir in whatever form you can have it to get the good bacteria in you.  If going with store bought, I'd do skim personally.  I am now trying my grains in cream as I am low on milk and have an excess of cream....we'll see how it turns out! ???

Offline queentea

• Adept
« Reply #602 on: January 05, 2008, 05:09:12 AM »
has anyone else noticed that you can't kill your kefir grains?  In Aug. we were getting ready to move so I used up the last of my kefir and stuck my grains in some powdered milk in the back of the fridge.  When we moved at the end of Aug. they got put into the fridge in the garage and I forgot about them of a LONG TIME, like 3 1/2 months.  When I decided to see if they were dead, I strained the almost solid milk and picked out a few of the bigger grains and threw out the rest.  I put the grains I saved in some raw milk (finally can get it now) and set them in the cupboard for a few days then back in the fridge for a week or so.  I strained it last night and we had smoothies with it today.  On the tangy side because it went so long, but it was still YUMMY! I sure like it better with the raw milk.  Anyway, I just wanted to let those who may have stuck their grains in the back of the fridge for awhile to know that they are very hard to kill and you can probably give it a try again!

Offline pupu4four

• Adept
« Reply #603 on: January 08, 2008, 11:21:26 AM »
I haven't made a batch of kefir in a week or two, but I've kept my grains fed with fresh milk (store bought).  I set out some grains in maybe two cups of milk 24 hours ago, but no kefir.  My grains have floated to the top and the milk smells very sour, but the texture is still very thin and no kefir-ish coating on the jar. 

What's my problem?  Are my grains dead? 

I am in maine and the temp is maybe 35 degrees here but i keep the house at a consistent 68F. Suggestions Please!  :-[

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #604 on: January 08, 2008, 04:41:44 PM »
I haven't made a batch of kefir in a week or two, but I've kept my grains fed with fresh milk (store bought).  I set out some grains in maybe two cups of milk 24 hours ago, but no kefir.  My grains have floated to the top and the milk smells very sour, but the texture is still very thin and no kefir-ish coating on the jar. 

What's my problem?  Are my grains dead? 

I am in maine and the temp is maybe 35 degrees here but i keep the house at a consistent 68F. Suggestions Please!  :-[

I wouldn't give up yet. Try a couple more batches and see if it improves. :)

Offline mom24boys

• Adept
« Reply #605 on: January 08, 2008, 08:47:52 PM »
How has it turned out?  Inquiring minds want to know!!!

I may have asked this b/f, in fact, I know I did but never got an answer.  It looks like I may have to resort to doing store bought milk atleast some of the time for my kefir.  Has anyone done both store and bought and did you notice a difference?  I am wondering if the whole homo problem with drinking the milk would be the same with kefiring or even baking with it?  And is it better to use whole or skim?  I would really appreciate some help on this as my 8 yr old really has had problems with store bought milk in the past.  Thanks.  :)

I've done my kefir three different ways.  With store bought milk (skim) with powdered milk, and now with raw milk.  I think it is better with raw milk!  But IMO it is better have kefir in whatever form you can have it to get the good bacteria in you.  If going with store bought, I'd do skim personally.  I am now trying my grains in cream as I am low on milk and have an excess of cream....we'll see how it turns out! ???

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #606 on: January 09, 2008, 02:37:31 AM »
How has it turned out?  Inquiring minds want to know!!!

I may have asked this b/f, in fact, I know I did but never got an answer.  It looks like I may have to resort to doing store bought milk atleast some of the time for my kefir.  Has anyone done both store and bought and did you notice a difference?  I am wondering if the whole homo problem with drinking the milk would be the same with kefiring or even baking with it?  And is it better to use whole or skim?  I would really appreciate some help on this as my 8 yr old really has had problems with store bought milk in the past.  Thanks.  :)

I'm guessing you are asking about the cream.  I just now put some store bought skim in mine but it was still with half raw so I don't know.  I have a friend that goes back and forth though and she said it sure if different and not as good with store bought. 

Offline pupu4four

• Adept
« Reply #607 on: January 09, 2008, 09:50:24 AM »
As of this morning... more than 36 hours after i set it out.... still no kefir.  Should I keep waiting, or dump it and try again?  I'm not home now, so i'm not sure what has happened over the course of the day.

Offline Kellyj

• Adept
« Reply #608 on: January 09, 2008, 11:36:34 AM »
As of this morning... more than 36 hours after i set it out.... still no kefir.  Should I keep waiting, or dump it and try again?  I'm not home now, so i'm not sure what has happened over the course of the day.
I left mine in the fridge for over a week and it did what your's is doing. Your house might not be warm enough. You didn't say where you set it out. I keep mine on the kitchen counter where it is warm during the day and then I put it in the fridge over night. If you do decide to start over you can still separate the curds and whey and keep the whey if you use it for anything. Then you can use the curds to make a veggie dip (use like sour cream) or add a sweetener to it to make cream cheese.
Kelly
"Is anything too hard for the Lord?" Gen 18:14a

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #609 on: January 09, 2008, 12:32:05 PM »
I have a kefir question in regards to cow milk.  My goats are dried off and I've never used my kefir grains with raw cow milk.  However, when I dried off the goats last year and I did not have a cow, I tried the grains with store bought cow milk.  It killed the grains.  I'm wondering if anyone has switched their grains from raw goat milk to raw cow milk?  Also, do you use skimmed milk?  Elsie is a jersey and gives quite a bit of cream.  Any thoughts would be helpful.  I'm missing my kefir smoothies in the morning and it will be at least a month before the Zoe kids.  :)

Blessings,
Jammie
Mrs. P

Offline sweetestday

• Adept
« Reply #610 on: January 09, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »
I have a kefir question in regards to cow milk.  My goats are dried off and I've never used my kefir grains with raw cow milk.  However, when I dried off the goats last year and I did not have a cow, I tried the grains with store bought cow milk.  It killed the grains.  I'm wondering if anyone has switched their grains from raw goat milk to raw cow milk?  Also, do you use skimmed milk?  Elsie is a jersey and gives quite a bit of cream.  Any thoughts would be helpful.  I'm missing my kefir smoothies in the morning and it will be at least a month before the Zoe kids.  :)

Blessings,
Jammie

I got some grains from a lady who used hers with goat milk. The grains lived and did fine with store bought milk, but stayed grainy. Another batch of grains I got, turned into a big cauliflower that sticks together. I like that better just because it's easier to strain. I don't know if the goat milk had anything to do with that or not.
I used my kefir with Jersey milk all summer, and skimmed most of the cream off first. I used the cream for butter, but left some of it in the milk for extra fat. The only thing about cream in the kefir, is that it was harder to skim the cream off the grains, and I don't like to rinse mine.
I hope some of this was helpful to you. It's just my experience.  ;)

Offline pupu4four

• Adept
« Reply #611 on: January 10, 2008, 02:54:48 AM »
I left mine in the fridge for over a week and it did what your's is doing. Your house might not be warm enough. You didn't say where you set it out. I keep mine on the kitchen counter where it is warm during the day and then I put it in the fridge over night. If you do decide to start over you can still separate the curds and whey and keep the whey if you use it for anything. Then you can use the curds to make a veggie dip (use like sour cream) or add a sweetener to it to make cream cheese.
Kelly

I'll do that thanks.  It still smells ok, no rottenness at all.  So I'll use it and start a new batch.   ;)

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #612 on: January 12, 2008, 05:10:57 PM »
Okay, I need help.  I tried to search out the answer, but didn't get anywhere.  I received my grains yesterday and put them in a glass jar with milk and covered with saran wrap.  It has been about 20 hours and I now have this foamy, clumpy yogurt like stuff on the top and a watery looking stuff on the bottom.  Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?  I tried to strain out the grains and now I am having trouble finding them in the chunky stuff. ??? :-\
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #613 on: January 12, 2008, 05:20:02 PM »
Okay, I need help.  I tried to search out the answer, but didn't get anywhere.  I received my grains yesterday and put them in a glass jar with milk and covered with saran wrap.  It has been about 20 hours and I now have this foamy, clumpy yogurt like stuff on the top and a watery looking stuff on the bottom.  Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?  I tried to strain out the grains and now I am having trouble finding them in the chunky stuff. ??? :-\
It sounds like you have curds and whey... I would put them in a plastic colander and see if you can't gently stir it and get your grains to appear.  I also generally cover mine with a coffee filter or paper towel so that the air can circulate better.
I did a little post on my blog on the steps I take to make kefir, there are some pictures also, if you are interested. 
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/seethebluesky
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 05:21:42 PM by Mrs. B »

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #614 on: January 12, 2008, 05:58:03 PM »
Thanks, I guess I will give it another try.  I am going to have to get more milk in the morning though.  Can I still use the curds and whey stuff?

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #615 on: January 12, 2008, 06:20:47 PM »
Okay, I strained and found my grains.  Am I crazy.  I think my grains have already multiplied and they are bigger than when I got them yesterday?  Did I find the wrong things?  They look like the grains to me.  I stirred the yogurt like stuff back in with the clear liquid.  It has some really small clumps in it.  I am either really brave or really stupid, I haven't decided which yet, but I tasted the stuff.  It was nasty.  The most sour tasting stuff ever.  I put the gains in a clean jar with some new milk.  I just want to make sure that I understand this correctly.  I leave it on the counter for 12-24 hours, stirring a couple of times.  After this time I can either put it in the fridge or use it.  If I put it in the fridge do I still take the grains out and put them in fresh milk or do I leave them in with the kefir?  I hope I can get this, I really think my son and daughter could really benefit from the kefir.

Offline ShannaC

• Adept
« Reply #616 on: January 12, 2008, 07:23:58 PM »
In reference to your first post about having curds and whey, I would say you needed more milk and/or you left it to long. That is what happens if you leave it for a long time. It is still fine to use but will just be stronger tasting/more sour.  And also will have clumps like you mentioned. You can tell/feel the difference between those 'cheese' clumps and grains. Just rub it between your fingers. The grains are rubbery and won't fall apart and have a slight yellow tint. The 'cheese' with just crumble and mush up.   You don't have to stir your kefir during the day. I don't even do that anymore. Once I am ready to strain it, I just shake it up to get the thick stuff mixed in with the more liquidy stuff and then use a slotted spoon to pull out the grains. 

Kefir is very sour. We don't drink it alone. We use it in smoothies mostly.  There are some other good recipes on here too. I will also mix it with yogurt and then put fruit/applesauce on top. Then the tartness isn't so noticable. 

When the kefir is done take the grains out before you put it in the fridge otherwise it will get stronger yet.   Put the grains with new milk and make more or put the new milk and grains directly in the fridge and take a break for a day or week, etc. 

Hope this helps and makes sense!

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #617 on: January 12, 2008, 11:00:46 PM »
Thanks so much.  That was what I needed. ;D

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #618 on: January 13, 2008, 05:22:12 AM »
I'm pretty certain that the most recent questions posted have been asked and answered more than once throughout the thread.  After a while a thread gets so long and this repetition begins to happen a lot, so I've locked the thread to encourage you to read back through what's already been posted and to keep the thread from getting ridiculously long.

If you read through this entire thread and do not find your question or the answer you're looking for, send me a note and we'll see about adding it to the thread.

Thanks

~hb
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #619 on: October 20, 2009, 11:51:41 AM »
Way back someone said they made kefir by just using some kefir and adding warm milk.  NO GRAINS.  I have been doing it ever since and my "kefir" turns out great.  SO, my question is, is this kefir???  It looks like kefir, smells like kefir, tastes like kefir - but I can't find any info on the web about making kefirt without the grains.  Am I making kefir or something else?  Or, is it, if it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, etc etc, it is a duck?????