Author Topic: All about Vasectomies  (Read 23725 times)

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
All about Vasectomies
« on: March 14, 2008, 09:26:35 AM »
Tell Me Your Stories, if medically relevant, and the Pros and Cons.

I have a family member considering this option (not my husband ;)).

Please tell us again if posted somewhere else.....This is the only thread devoted to Vasectomies.

Key Search Terms=[Vasectomy, Vasectomie, Vasectomys, Vans Deferenz]

« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 11:25:38 AM by healthybratt »

Offline Gigi

• Master
Re: All about Vasectomies
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 11:26:26 AM »
Well, I have two stories.  The only two men I know who have had this procedure done.

First, husband of friend:  Procedure done, no complications during procedure but MAJOR swelling/redness/tenderness that lasted for at least FOUR years afterwords.  Many follow-up appointments for the VERY noticeable (to him and wife) swelling/tenderness and he was told repeatedly that everything was fine and some guys just have swelling longer than others.  He is only "back to normal" now after 5 years.

Second, an older relative, now in his 50's.  Procedure done back in the day, I think it must have been 20 years now.  Everything fine until last several years - went to Dr. because of scrot@l pain - turns out it is from the vasectomy.  He has constant pain and nothing seems to help relieve it.  He said Dr. said it is from a build-up of semen from over the years - there is nothing they can do.   

Those are the only stories I have. Is that what you're looking for, Kristen?

Offline seeker

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 11:42:33 AM »
I personally know two men who had vasectomies and still fathered one baby AFTER the procedure but WITHOUT a reversal.  :o

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 11:54:58 AM »
My husbands experiences are here:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,785.msg5210.html#msg5210

Testicular pain associated with vasectomies:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,10916.0.html

Post Vasectomy Pain:
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,493.0.html

HTH, Kristen!  ;)

PROS:  My husband's sex drive went through the roof(okay pro for him ha ha)!  It is because his body absorbed the sperm, which gave him extra testosterone.

CONS:  Post vasectomy pain, body absorbed sperm; which can cause many problems, increase in potential prostate cancer, MADE WIFE MAD!  >:( :D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 12:01:56 PM by healthyinOhio »

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 11:57:06 AM »
I know two men also.  One had his about 35 years ago.  No complications and no babies.  ;)  Although now they know they wouldn't have minded. They were young and didn't get good counsel.  In their opinion.

Second man, about two years ago.   No complications that I know of. 

cecac

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 04:44:41 PM »
My Dad.  For about 40 years, no complications.

The only con is that it seems like I'm reading alot on another board and in person with two ladies that anytime there's a Vas or Tubal, there is regret afterwards.  Particularly on the mama side.  That would be emotional I guess.

My parents didn't regret it until after becoming Christians.  They were of the mind, ya know, only replace yourself otherwise you are being selfish.  That was many years ago.

My dad hasn't even had any prostrate problems, etc.  He's in his upper 70s now.

Offline kamom

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 05:37:07 AM »
  I know one man who has no problems, close family, never heard of any, with it. It's been about 20 yrs ago. They did have one child right after the procedure, so watch out!

Offline blessedmama

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 06:00:24 AM »
Well I have a vasectomy story for you!  My DH had his done four years ago at our home in our recliner!!   ;D ;D  Yeah I know weird, but I use to work for a General Surgeon for many years and helped him do lots of medical procedures in the office.  Well at the time the Dr. was practicing a couple hrs away and didn't have a local office.  So me being a homebirther said, "If I can have babies at home why can't we do his vasectomy at home?!?!?"  So the dear Dr. agreed and in the recliner my DH went.  I assisted and all was grand!  How's THAT for a vasectomy story???  People are always shocked when I tell them that one.    :D :D
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh no, she's awake."  Above Rubies e-newsletter

www.homesteadblogger.com/prestonacreage

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 06:14:31 AM »
I know two men also.  One had his about 35 years ago.  No complications and no babies.  ;)  Although now they know they wouldn't have minded. They were young and didn't get good counsel.  In their opinion.

Second man, about two years ago.   No complications that I know of. 
This couple were counseled to not have any more children b/c they were pretty poor at the time and she was rh- so was told if she didn't have the 75 dollar(at thetime)shot her next preg would be bad. They were young and ingnorant and did what they were told.  Now they say they would have figured out a way to come up with the money.  I definitely think a couple should really be sure they can't or don't want any more b/f make the decision.  People don't always opt for no more children for selfish reasons.   :)

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 07:27:51 AM »
Friends of ours were going (went) to Ch1na as missi0naries and so after the birth of their first child he had a vasectomy here in the states.  Most Chinese have only one child, and they figured one child was enough for them too, and they'd adopt a Chinese orphan if they ever felt the desire to expand their family. 

Well around 4 months later the wife was pregnant.  It was a hysterical conversation.  "I'm pregnant."

"Hah-hah.  Good one."

"No really."

"That's impossible."

"Unlikely, yes.  Impossible, no."

"Well who may I ask is the father?!"

"WHAT?!"

"Just kidding.  How is this possible?!"

So they had their second child and then she got her tubes tied.  Vasectomies aren't always successful.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline HelpmeetPlusHelpers

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 08:38:24 AM »
We know lots of men that have had vasectomies.  :(

Both my dad and fil had one after the birth of their second child. They haven't had any complications that we know of and they both recommend that my DH have that done too. I think if they had experienced anything, they would have let us know.

My cousins, uncles, men at the auto shop my husband works with, and even men at church have talked about how easy it was and recommend that it's the way to go when you are "done having children."

No one that we know of has had children after having it done. We don't know anyone who has had it reversed because of a desire to have more children or because of problems.

With all of these experiences, my DH decided that I was too ill to carry any more children. So, he had one done too. He has had a good bit of pain and is still tender 18 months or so later.

Someone said that they thought that everyone regretted it somewhat afterwards, but mostly the mother. In our family, we both are so sad every month when we are reminded yet again that we cannot have more. We both wanted so many. It was really unwise to keep going though.

Anyway, that is our experience.

Offline mauimom

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 12:22:41 PM »
I have hesitated to post our story, b/c dh was labeled as one in a million, but it did happen, so others should know.

I am not going to explain or justify our decision, this thread is for vasectomies, not our beliefs one way or the other.  We asked many men who have had vas about their experience and they ALL said it was a piece of cake, no problems.  Dh went in and had the procedure.  He drove himself home and took it easy that day, staying around the house.  The incision looked normal.  That night he was in some pain, but nothing that some ibuprofen couldn't handle.  The next morning he was still in pain and on the side of the incision he was swollen much more then before.  By now, according to the doctor's information, he should be feeling better.  Later that day dh called the doctors office and explained what was happening and asked if it was normal.  The nurse said yes some swelling was normal and that he was fine.  We later found out that they always say that b/c most men are babies about this very sensitive spot!  By now his left side was much larger than the other side and also had a blue color to it.  Over the next couple days he continued to swell and ended up with his left side as big as one of those very large grapefruits.  This is not an exaggeration.  He was in so much pain.  When we finally realized that he was not fine as the nurse had said, about three days later, he again called the doc, only to find out he was away on vacation.  His associate refused to see him stating that since he did not do the operation he would not see him.  Now my dh has a very high tolerance for pain.  He is the one who gets root canals and tooth extractions w/o any novacaine!!!!  But this was too much for him.  He couldn't work, was constantly taking OTC drugs, and spent a lot of time in bed. 
Finally one night he couldn't take the pain anymore and went to the ER.  After waiting for three hours, they took him in, looked at his left side and refused to treat him.  They said go back to the doctor who did this. 
Now, dh did not have an infection, he had no fever, the incision itself was healing nicely.  He just had one very large t*sticule.  With lots of pain.  He kept returning to the original doc office hoping his office mate would see him.  He eventually did, but again, he refused to touch him for fear of being involved with something that could turn into a legal battle.
After living like this for 3 weeks, the original doc finally saw him.  By this time I was really getting scared.  The doc's office had a policy that no spouses be allowed into appointments, but I demanded that I be allowed back with dh.  When the doc finally saw his handiwork, he cursed at what he saw.  That is how bad it was.  His diagnosis was that dh was what he called a bleeder.  Apparently at some time during the procedure, something caused him to start bleeding and he never stopped bleeding.  The procedure was scalpel free.  We never did find out what was bleeding and what caused it.  When bleeding occurs in the t*sticules, there is nothing to stop the blood flow.  The t*sticule will enlarge to accommodate the blood.  Dh has never had bleeding problems b/f.  When he gets cut, the bleeding stops like normal.  So we really aren't sure what happened in this case.  The doc said he hadn't seen anything like it in 30 years.
Anyway, doc reopened the original incision, made another incision about an inch to the side and then threaded some gauze through the two holes to make a "wick" to wick out the blood.  He was to take hot baths 3X a day to help the blood out.  Sounds bizarre, I know.  As I am typing this I can hardly believe it myself and I was there.  The wick did help some, but not fast enough.  Back to the doc. By now I was pretty much in panic mode and lashed out at the doc.  He snapped back at me and announced that he was trying to save my dh t*sticule and dh's life.  Of course that just put me further into panic mode.  Dh's LIFE???!!!!  This was to be a simple procedure!!! 
After contemplating what to do, the doc said he was going to do something radical.  He graciously allowed me to be there.  I am so thankful for that.  He numbed dh's left side and then made a 2 inch incision.  :o  Dh could still feel the pain.  I was up at his head holding his hands.  The doc fished around inside with his fingers to check everything out.  He checked all the parts and said they were fine.  Then he pulled out a blood clot that was huge!!  He put it in a measuring cup which measured 1/2 cup!!  For all you men, look at a 1/2 measuring cup and imagine that much inside!!!  It was unbelievable!!  Even the doc couldn't believe it. 
After having the blood clot out, dh said his pain diminished to almost nothing.  He only had the incision to deal with.  Which still took awhile to heal.  It took him 2 years to recover, not just physically but also mentally.  The scar tissue is sensitive and the area is sensitive to pressure.  We are thankful that he has no constant pain.  I was sure after all that, he would be in constant pain.  Who knows what the future holds for him in that area.  That is in the Lords hands.
Dh wanted me to say that this was not meant to scare anyone.  His was a very, very rare case.  We have never come across anyone else who has had these problems.  From my perspective, I would not have it done.  From dh perspective, well you will have to ask him yourself.  ;)  His perspective is not what you would think.
hth
mauimom

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 12:51:53 PM »

Finally one night he couldn't take the pain anymore and went to the ER.  After waiting for three hours, they took him in, looked at his left side and refused to treat him.  They said go back to the doctor who did this. 

I cannot believe that an ER doctor would do nothing!  That is absolutely insane!  >:(

Also, if someone would decide to have a vasectomy, any NSAID's medications increase the flow of blood.  Taking Ibuprofen is probably what contributing to the blood not clotting.  Just a thought.  Not that it helps you, now!  :D

Offline mauimom

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 01:02:43 PM »

I cannot believe that an ER doctor would do nothing!  That is absolutely insane!  >:(

Also, if someone would decide to have a vasectomy, any NSAID's medications increase the flow of blood.  Taking Ibuprofen is probably what contributing to the blood not clotting.  Just a thought.  Not that it helps you, now!  :D

You're right, the whole thing is insane!  At that time we didn't know he was bleeding.  Our thought was just to help with pain and decrease the swelling. 
I also forgot to mention that this happened on the mainland, not here in Hawaii.  There is a saying here on island, "When in pain, get on a plane".  In other words, don't trust the doctors and hospitals here.  But this vasectomy saga happened in Ohio.

Offline Jo-Mama

• Learning
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 02:33:50 PM »
Good or bad decision? God has used our story to encourage others.  In 1986 we chose a vasectomy(some swelling, no big problems).   We had no one to consult. In 1992 we made the decision to reverse(swelling, no problems).   Seven years later after much prayer, at 40!, our beautiful blessing!

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2008, 05:58:31 PM »
Good or bad decision? God has used our story to encourage others.  In 1986 we chose a vasectomy(some swelling, no big problems).   We had no one to consult. In 1992 we made the decision to reverse(swelling, no problems).   Seven years later after much prayer, at 40!, our beautiful blessing!

I read recently that sometimes men put some sperm in "storage" before the procedure in case there is a change of heart and a reversal is not possible or successful!

Offline Wing

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2008, 06:30:54 PM »
Mauimom, reading your story was just painful!  Poor man!  1/2 cup is huge!  :o

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2008, 09:16:41 AM »
Are there sources that show side effects of Vasectomies. I want to gather as much possible info for people to read about it.... Before they decide on a Vasectomy.

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2008, 10:45:24 AM »
Are you basicaly wanting info that would help them decide against it?

Offline mauimom

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2008, 10:46:54 AM »
I found these two sites very informative! Lots of post vas stories to contradict the "risk-free procedure"  lies.

www.2bnb4.com/is-vasectomy-risky.htm

www.dontfixit.org/

hth

cecac

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2008, 02:31:27 PM »
You know what I'm wondering?  There are vas stories that are negative now, but like back when my dad was having one, I've never heard stories from back then, or maybe things are just not connected to vas that should be. ???

Or, are they doing the procedure differently now than they were 35 years ago?

Offline servantgirl

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2008, 07:36:48 PM »
WOW  :o what stories!!
My DH had his done 5 years ago, because we finally had insurance that would cover it. We knew for sure that we didn't want any more kids, and I knew for sure that I didn't want to be on the "pill" any longer!
The only urologist in the immediate area is this little Jewish fellow who says he does 2 or 3 a week. I believe it. He was a sweet guy, and was a little surprised when I asked to be present for the surgery, but was all for it. He numbed the area but let DH be able to see, sometimes letting me hold up a mirror for DH to get a better view. He explained everything while he was doing it, and answered all questions we asked during the surgery. Not much pain, just a little tender for about 3 days. DH had to wait a few months afterward and then get tests done to make sure he was sperm-free. Everything was fine, and has worked fine since, PTL!!!! We are both SO thankful!!  ;D Hubby says he only wishes he had done it sooner.
HTH!
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2008, 11:22:40 PM »
Are you basicaly wanting info that would help them decide against it?

Nah. Just real information.
It seems like the med community says "it's no risk!" then I haven't (before) on this site ever read anything good about vasectomies. It wasn't matching up ya know.....
So, balanced and real info.

burlsgirl

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2008, 02:26:08 AM »
Mark's vas. was very "easy". Minimal pain & swelling Day 1; Day 2, just took it easy; Day 3, pretty much back to normal. We were told that many of the "problems" can arise when the man tries to do too much, too soon. Dh took that seriously & just hung out for a day or two, with no problems.

His reversal left him in much more pain; he said he would not do that again, ever.

He says he's probably getting another vas. this summer. I'm quietly hoping he decides not to!

HTH,
Em

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2008, 04:55:49 PM »
bump

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2008, 04:23:12 AM »
I haven't read any of this thread yet because im busy with a sick kid. I may have missed where this question was asked but i need to know if anyone knows if getting a vasectomy with a knife or a laser is best.

Im afraid to read this thread cuz dh has decided he will get one and if i find a horror story he may chicken out. :D I don't believe in the pill and there arent really any options other then that besides condoms which are getting to be expensive cuz we buy them a lot. :-[

I heard its easier on the man then the woman so i figure its his turn since i had 3 kids.  :D
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2008, 04:24:53 AM »
Laser is always less invasive.  ;)

Offline tynnille

• Adept
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 11:05:42 AM »
Have you looked into Natural Family Planning? There is a book called Taking Charge of Your Fertility (maybe it is at your local library). I would check out this option before hubby gets the snips. That would allow you only to use condoms during your fertile times. Also, I understand there to be many later-in-life side effects to vasectomys too, that you may want to look into (prostate problems, impotency, etc).  NFP also allows for more chilcren down the road if either one of you changes your mind. Just my $.02. Tennille

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2008, 12:19:17 PM »
Yes, i looked into it. I'm to scatter brained to do it right and that's what we were doing when i got pregnant with our last. :DIm glad we did but i really don't want anymore and neither does he. I went on and read this thread and part of me is tempted to tell him not to do it because i don't want to chance him being hurt. He is chicken already to do it so if i said don't then he for sure wouldn't do it. LOL!! I just don't know what else to do. :-\
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2008, 02:40:45 PM »
Yes, i looked into it. I'm to scatter brained to do it right and that's what we were doing when i got pregnant with our last. :DIm glad we did but i really don't want anymore and neither does he. I went on and read this thread and part of me is tempted to tell him not to do it because i don't want to chance him being hurt. He is chicken already to do it so if i said don't then he for sure wouldn't do it. LOL!! I just don't know what else to do. :-\

Read these threads before you decide.  This isn't just a "quick easy fix" like the docs would have you believe.  It's an important decision and not easily reversible.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,3403.0.html
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1066.0.html
  My favorite herb book!!