Author Topic: Looking for a cloth option for a 5 year old at night...  (Read 20904 times)

YoopreMama

Looking for a cloth option for a 5 year old at night...
« on: March 07, 2009, 02:05:36 PM »
Can anyone suggest a site or product to be used for my 5 year old?  He only needs one at night, but can't fit into cloth diapers.  Are there "big" all in ones? 

Offline Melie

• Master
Re: Looking for a cloth option for a 5 year old at night...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 02:11:47 PM »
Can anyone suggest a site or product to be used for my 5 year old?  He only needs one at night, but can't fit into cloth diapers.  Are there "big" all in ones? 

I've tried these in size 4/6.  They are made by fuzzibunz I think but they often leaked for us.  My 5 yr old daughter is a heavy night wetter though and sometimes leaks through her pull ups.

They are called overnight undies.

http://www.motherofeden.com/overnight-undies.php

Offline thus_I_fight

• Adept
    • My xanga page
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 02:13:36 PM »
I would opt to sew a few for him.  Use one of the patterns you can find online, and adapt it to fit his measurements.  You can use an old towel for a terry cloth diaper, and sew it with a waterproof outer layer, fastened with velcro.  Or just do a basic diaper and get him some plastic pants to go over it.

I tried the cloth at night for our older daughter, but had to go back to Pull Ups because her skin broke out in a bad rash from being in contact with the urine half the night.  She was diapered with cloth diapers as a baby with no problem, but her skin seems more sensitive now.
"I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.  The LORD God is my strength, He will make my feet like deer's feet, and He will make me walk on my high hills." Habakkuk 3:19

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 03:07:49 PM »
I haven't tried them but Nikky Bed Wetter Pants are supposed to be good & from what I understand, Nikky makes bed wetter pants up to adult sizes I think. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

YoopreMama

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »
WOW!  You are all so kind to reply so fast.  I didn't expect much a reply...THANK YOU!   :-* 

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 04:32:57 PM »
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 05:21:54 PM »
I have ordered prefolds from www.clothdiaper.com and I know they sell diapers for adults and youth.  I really like their prefolds and they have good customer service.  Here are links to two possibilities, one is for a super toddler all in one (I don't know how big you 5 year old is), the other is a youth option.
http://shop.clothdiaper.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=clothdiape&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=249981105&Count2=167121529&CategoryID=7&Target=products.asp

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=acd&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=706234157&Count2=623374581&CategoryID=4&Target=products.asp

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 08:46:39 AM »
My friend's website www.purpleberrystitches.blogspot.com has a great hand made, re-usable pull-up.  We used one for EVER.  They are like a larger cloth pocket diaper with snaps instead of velcro, and she can use REALLY pretty PUL fabric.  It is AWESOME because they look like pretty underwear, just a little thicker. 

I used one for my son, and it was great.  I just washed it each morning and it dried in 2 hours at the most.  I could use just one for nap and bed time.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

YoopreMama

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 12:12:33 PM »
Thanks for the replies! 

I'm finding that the Overnight Undies by Fuzzi Bunz are often out of stock and run about $25.  They look GREAT.

I'm looking at these
http://shop.clothdiaper.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=clothdiape&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=502742946&Count2=419883370 and wondering if they'll work for $15 (I can't take on another sewing project right now).

Another friend bought from here:
https://usshop.motherease.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=15&cat=Bedwetter+Pants
and
https://usshop.motherease.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=9&cat=All+in+One+Diaper

Off to check out Shabby's link.   ;D

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 01:21:16 PM »
Shabby, those diapers are beautiful.  I'm bookmarking them.  I may have to get a few for my soon to be 3 in diapers.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

YoopreMama

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 10:19:43 AM »
Hi Yooper...have you tried giving him Magnesium?

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,2019.msg204314.html#msg204314
I forgot about that...thanks!  ;D

I ordered the ones here http://shop.clothdiaper.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=clothdiape&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=502742946&Count2=419883370.  I have doublers or inserts I can use, if needed.

Shabby, those are beautiful!

P.S.
Mine is called "All In One Cloth Diaper Super Toddler"...I see the link doesn't go to that product specifically, no matter what I try.   >:(
The All Together Deluxe All In One Diaper - The most economical and durable all in one cloth diaper available. The All Together Deluxe Diaper features a contoured form fitting shape with a built-in waterproof barrier and adjustable snap closures. The layer against baby's skin is a 100% cotton birdseye weave. The interior is comprised of multiple layers of thirsty flannel and the waterproof outer layer is a coated polyester. The adjustable snap tape fittings are more durable than velcro and do not get bound to each other in the washer and dryer. This wonderful cloth diaper is so durable you can save it for your next child and yet so comfortable your baby will love them. The convenience of a disposable in a reusable cloth diaper! Available in sizes from Preemie to Super Toddler. Manufactured in the USA by stay at home moms!

Features of the Super Toddler size - Super Toddler diapers are for young ones weighing approximately 35-45 lbs. This will fit skinnier kids up to 50 lbs.This makes a good cloth diapering alternative for toddlers this size. Often this diaper is used at night time only for children that are still working on night time potty training. This diaper is not offered in any of the other diaper packages.

Youth sized diapers, fitting 50-100 lbs are available at our sister website at www.adultclothdiaper.com.

Super Toddler    35 to 45 lbs.    Blue stitching
3X11X3 (layering: side, middle, side)    $15.00 each    
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 01:31:18 PM by Yooper »

YoopreMama

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 01:37:08 PM »
They fit well (he's 40#) but gap slightly in front they may fit better after they're less stiff).

I also think they need a pre-washing to prep them.   :o :-X :P   I'm contacting the company now b/c their washing page doesn't quite address the AIOs, IMO.

They do take awhile to line dry.  Haven't used insets/doublers, yet.  They are soaked in the AM...and leak about as often as the disposables did, but I think it's due to the gap (he has no tummy).   ;D

YoopreMama

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 07:03:08 AM »
A reply from Clothdiaper.com:

There isn't much difference in prepping these diapers from your prefolds.  The only issue with boiling is that with extremely high temps for more than 5 minutes can cause the snaps to melt.  Usually just a few prewashes in your washer and dryer should do the trick.  The ammonia smell of course is from urine and is altering the PH of the diapers.  To get rid of this the most effective way is to add 3-5 table spoons of vinegar to your diapers in a prewash.  Adding vinegar will also make the diapers more absorbent by removing residue from your detergents.  This should neutralize the smell.  IF they are leaking you either need more absorbency (doubler or insert) or you need to strip the diapers.  Check out  http://www.zany-zebra.com/stripping-cloth-diapers.shtml for more on stripping diapers.  Also attached to this email is a list of detergents that bummis recommend for their covers.  The covers on our all in ones are they same material as bummis, so it might be worth checking it out.  Hope this helps!

http://bummis.com/en/Detergent-Residues.html is a link that explains it somewhat.  My PDF file won't attach b/c the uploader is full.   :(
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 02:55:56 PM by Yooper »

YoopreMama

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 02:56:34 PM »
I added the PDF now for the Bummis Detergent Info, since the AIOs are made of the same material.

Offline mamato5

• Learning
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 12:52:34 PM »
My 4 and 5 yr olds still wet at night. The 4 yr old lightly, but the 5 yr old soaks everything when he has a pull-up on. I bought Happy Heiny pocket trainers last week on DS and they work AWESOME!!!! I stuff them with 2 infant prefolds b/c that's what I have and they don't leak at all. I am so excited about this.  ;D Oh and Yooper my 5yr old is super skinny. They do run big also, he's 40 lbs and wears the mediums.
pregnancy due date" border="0

YoopreMama

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 01:23:30 PM »
...but the 5 yr old soaks everything when he has a pull-up on. I bought Happy Heiny pocket trainers last week on DS and they work AWESOME!!!! I stuff them with 2 infant prefolds b/c that's what I have and they don't leak at all. I am so excited about this.  ;D Oh and Yooper my 5yr old is super skinny. They do run big also, he's 40 lbs and wears the mediums.
Good to hear that!  :)  A pocket diaper IS nice for stuffing more absorbency in...I'm going to try a diaper doubler tonight (or something).  They don't stink as badly, but they're still quite wet.  Thanks for the tip...I'm going to check them out.  ;D

Offline TXMom

• Learning
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 11:31:06 PM »
My 4 and 5 yr olds still wet at night. The 4 yr old lightly, but the 5 yr old soaks everything when he has a pull-up on. I bought Happy Heiny pocket trainers last week on DS and they work AWESOME!!!! I stuff them with 2 infant prefolds b/c that's what I have and they don't leak at all. I am so excited about this.  ;D Oh and Yooper my 5yr old is super skinny. They do run big also, he's 40 lbs and wears the mediums.

Do you have a link for these?  Thank you for posting!

YoopreMama

Offline khrys

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 03:19:46 AM »
My son is 4 and wears these in a size medium for overnight use (he is thin).  We ordered them in a custom size since the standard medium was still too big in the legs.  They work very well.  There is no extra charge for custom sizing.  They do take a long time to arrive though, since they are made after you order.  They use inserts, but you can also put infant prefolds in them. 

http://www.theecstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=168&products_id=530
Helpmeet to dh since 8/99, SAHM to ds1 (3/05) and ds2 (12/09)

Offline its_me518

• Adept
  • Check out GenuineAid.com for Natural Health info.
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 02:59:54 PM »
Hello!

I have a almost 4 year old who has to wear a diaper at night... I decided to try cloth ones... I figured it would save me $ (since I don't throw them away  ;) ) but also be somehow better for him.

Anyway, there is a local lady here who I just found out sews these... so I actually went to her house, looked at her stuff, asked her a bunch of questions...and bought...

I just wanted to share her info with you cuz it looks like she does a VERY good job! The diapers are very well made, very cute... and you can tell they are good quality! What I like is that they are waterproof... I tried the trainers.. but he totally soaked through them.. so I had to go to the one with the pocket since it is made to absorb a lot more.. anyway

here is her website:

http://hyenacart.com/primmnproperbaby/
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline rejoicing

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2009, 02:38:36 PM »
We had to deal with this issue for a while. We tried everything! Here is what worked...

Microfiber towels from the auto./cleaning section of sam's club
We used 2-3 of these folded inside covers I made out of a thick fleece.  It came from an old polarfleece jacket of mine (if you don't have any think thrift store)  I really think the high quality fleece made the difference.  We also put fleecey/poly carters pj pants over them.  To make the cover I just cut out a diaper shape from the fleece way bigger than her, and added elastic at the legs and waist.

We continued to use these until she outgrew the problem.  I don't think she ever leaked out of these, and she leaked out of EVERYTHING else!!!

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2009, 04:06:17 AM »
I have some of the motherease bed wetter ones.  Our 4 yo hasnt wet at night in a while, but when he did, they absorb a ton.  I still use them just in case.

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 11:18:19 AM »
I haven't tried them but Nikky Bed Wetter Pants are supposed to be good & from what I understand, Nikky makes bed wetter pants up to adult sizes I think. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom
  I have a few Nikky Bedwetter pants.. you can read my review on
 http://www.epinions.com/review/100_Cotton_Nikky_Bed_Wetter_Pants/content_497222585988

I got mine off of ebay for half the price. they were new.

Offline plnkmomma

• Learning
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 05:18:36 AM »
Ok So I know cloth diaper/underwear needs to be line dried so what do you do if that is not an option?

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 07:03:14 AM »
Ok So I know cloth diaper/underwear needs to be line dried so what do you do if that is not an option?
Dry it in a drier?  ;D or hang up in the house/porch to air dry?  You may need to pay more attention to cleaning without the sanitizing and bleaching sunshine. I've used the drier on cotton trainers. The label or manufacturer should tell you if it's not recommended for your type of diaper/underwear.

Offline suzukiviolinest15

• Learning
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 08:01:44 AM »
There are several cloth diaper options. Fuzzi Bunz and Blueberry Minky are some popular brands. They don't need to be line-dried, but the drier needs to be set on low heat. Also, they need a specific type of soap. Normal detergent will stick onto the diapers. Check the brand's website for info on what soap. We use soap nuts with them, and that seems to work fine.

Those kinds of cloth diapers have an insert that you put into them, and you can double stuff them for at night. There are some all-in-ones, but they take longer to dry, and they might be harder to use on a five year old.