Author Topic: Scoliosis  (Read 7050 times)

Offline HelpmeetPlusHelpers

• Adept
Scoliosis
« on: March 10, 2008, 09:37:15 AM »
I have scoliosis. I had herrington rods put in about ten years ago. Usually, I do okay. I have a good bit of pain most days, but no so much that I can't function. I started seeing a really great chiropractor for about 9 months and have been doing so much better. Almost all the pain is going most days now. However, I am hurting again. And really badly! I saw my chiro this morning and allowed her to take xrays. she said that it appears that now that my hips are level my back is tryng to straighten. So my rods are actually keeping my spins in the wrong place. I have thought about having the rods removed before, but now I am seriously looking into it. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Pain relief ideas? Rod removal stories? Anything?

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
Re: Scoliosis
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 10:00:04 AM »
My siblings and I all have scoliosis....we are now in our 40's ( late 40s!) and all would agree the chiropractor has helped the most. We never had surgery or braces, having been diagnosed in high school and deemed " too old" to bother with any treatment. Stress made mine worse in later years. I stopped going to the chiro years ago when I quit working ( the stressful job) and when I have trouble now I use muscle relaxers, calming teas, heating pad. My brothers was the worst of all of ours...he said with the chiro's help his was ' almost cured ' , and that he was amazed how much straighter it got. My sister has trouble now, and combined with some severe muscle spasm issues, has begun to see a naturopath/chiropractor/accupuncturist. She was prescribed "Muscle Tranquil" ( herbal) which I suggested to someone on another thread which I now use as well. She says the accupuncture has changed her life!Common sense tells me that as muscles tense up, over time, the bones are readjusted and nerves are pinched and the muscles never relax enough for long enough to allow things to go back to " normal." Another factor is exercise....if you have a certain regimine and then quit.....as the muscles slacken things get out of alignment again. As to removing your rods, my nephew had a rod put in his breastbone years ago when he was young, and as I recall the removal process was not nearly as big a deal as the putting in...but I can get you some better feedback from his Mom ( my other sis). IMHO, what they did years and years ago may, by medical standards, have since been replaced by better methods. If it was me? Chronic pain would not be something I would want to tolerate any more if there was a way to avoid it. But its not me..its YOU! Thought I'd throw in a few cents while you mull over your options.

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 10:08:20 AM »
Hmm...I'm thinking :) My hubby has titanium in his back (different reason) So, we often talk about things like this. My first (and main) thought is have you thought of getting a different opinion? Is that even possible? I know sometimes it can be hard enough to find one good doc.

My hubby claims that when he is in pain very few drugs help, if any. Even narcotics don't touch his pain. Sometimes he will use Bromelain. I'm thinking there's another thread on here about dosage for pain relief and such. He claims what helps the most are exercising and stretching. He has to modify how he chooses to exercise but favors the elliptical and swimming.

I would try to google for awhile and see what you come up with as far as the actual surgery goes. You know success rates, recuperation, etc...

Offline blackbird

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 10:31:31 AM »
I have the rods in too, and the only time I have lots of discomfort from them is when I'm pregnant and the extra weight pulls the muscles tight accross the top screw.  Stretching, hot showers and heating pads seem to work best for me.  Sorry to hear you are having so much pain.  I was told they could be removed someday if I wanted, but it was major surgery so unless I am having lots of problems with them I probably won't have that done.  Another thing to consider when having the surgery done for anyone considering it, once the bone graft is in place there is no option for epidural during labor.. Hope you find a solution.  Glad to hear a chiropractor is and option even with the rods...I wasn't sure on that one and it is good to know just in case I ever get to that point.
Oldest son to recently unemployed grandma, "You don't need another job, Grandma.  You already have a job being old." (This was a couple days before her 49th b-day).  Boys.

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 10:49:54 AM »
Thank you for your responses. I know that stress and muscle strain is a huge factor. Thank you fr reminding me. When I am in this much pain I don't think clearly! Amandamook is going to help me make a salve or rub and see how that does. (Thank you Amanda!) Unfortunately, I have also tried many of the pain relievers out on the market, and like grocerygetter's dh, I don't find that they do much more than to destroy my liver.

Blackbird, I actually have no more pain when I am pregnant than usual. I have been able to deliver all my babies (4 so far) vaginally and without any pain meds. My orthopedic surgeon told me that I wouldn't be able to deliver that way, but I tried and thankfully, I did.

I also have a double "s" curve. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I have 2 rods, one on top of the other. My degrees of curve were 39 & 42 when they discovered that I had scoliosis at 14 yo. Then after being put into a charleston brace and seeing a pathetic chiropractor for 2 years it had gone to a horrible 65 and 72 degree curves. They stopped bracing and just did the surgery. It helped me be able to breathe easily and a few other things, but as I am getting older, the pain is getting worse. I am only 26. I don't know that if we leave things as they are that I can continue. I can't be a good wife or mother this way. I have to do something.

Thank you for responding. I will keep researching this and see what dh and I think is the best option for our family.

cecac

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 12:19:14 PM »
My scoliosis is mild, but the area between my shoulder blades where it is can get painful, chiro has helped me too.  Another thought is that I could not hold adjusments for quite some time because I was mineral deficient.  Therefore, my scoliosis area hurt constantly, or I would be in spasms of pain by the end of the day due to the work load of homemaking with 5 children, one a baby.

But when I got the mineral/vitamin deficiencies cleared up and have chiro care, I am down to minimal back pain most of the time.

So I dunno if that helps, because this isn't about rods.  (Been tempted to try those, though, so I appreciate this thread because it sounds like some of you have dealt with pain anyway. :-[)  But, it is about maybe holding adjustments better through care with supplementation.  Also, strangely enough, there was a link for me with adrenal stress.

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 02:43:39 AM »
I see a chiropractor who gives excersices that strenghten the muscles in the neck and spine so that you hold the adjustments longer. It is working wonderfully for that, but also giving me trouble because me spine is getting straighter and the rods is holding it in the wrong place. I know that I could just stop seeing her altogether and then my hips would be off again and I would have terrible migraines  again. Everyone has noticed how great I have felt by seeing her and I just don't want to go back to how it was. On the otherhand, I can't keep doing this either. The pain is bad and constant.

Cecac, do you mind telling me what supplement it was that you needed to take?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 02:49:00 AM by HelpmeetPlusHelpers »

cecac

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 07:29:49 AM »
((((((hugs)))))))) Helpmeetplushelper.  Oh my, that pain. :'(

Well, I do the basics and then I also do some for specific adrenal support. 
Right now, here's my list:  Catalyn (multi-type vit), Cataplex B (b-complex), Organic Minerals (Iodine, low level in preggars and potassium), Calcium Lactate, Folic Acid, Magnesium, Potassium, Ferrofood (Iron), and Pantothenic Acid (that's a B, I am taking it due to illness so that I could shore up my adrenals a little more, it's a biggie for adrenals).

I cannot use most vitamins due to adrenal weakness, so most of what I use is from Standard Process.  They seem to work well for me. 

When I was in the pain of which I spoke, I had gone, unsuccessfully, to two different chiros.  The third one is a chiro/OMD who pinpointed deficiencies.  He also knew how to get my pelvis in place, something the others didn't seem to be able to do. My pelvis is slightly twisted.
So, that chiro pinpointed some b vitamins which I lacked, and helped me address my adrenals.  The above list I have given you I actually have put together more myself after understanding some things which that doctor helped me with.   And now, I usually only go to a basic chiro for the scholiosis pain because the adjustments hold better so he can keep me pain free. 

But, like right now, I'm going to have to go back to the chiro/OMD because I betcha I'm into some more problems after an illness, my jaw is cracking, my pelvis is out, and my scoliosis spot can act up. ::)

And I will say that my scoliosis is mild, like a little over 20 degrees.  It still has put me in pain, so I cannot imagine what those of you who have the rods are going through, reallly.

My adjustments wouldn't hold for more than a week, if that, back when things were very bad for me.

Since your twists have actually gotten worse over time (I understood after the teen years that stopped) I am wondering about Calcium/other mineral deficiencies. :-\  My OMD/chiro explained to me that if the body is functioning with optimal nutrients, it should automatically account for scoliosis or other things which happen to the back. :-\  But now, I'm sitting here wondering if he meant as twisted as you are or not.  If I go to him here in the next week, I will ask that question and see what he says.  You might be helped by a naturopathic type doctor who can test you for major vit/min deficiencies along with the proper chiro care.  I would say you might want to check into Oriental med, but that is very controversial and you can get into some weird stuff on that one.  My Oriental MD/chiro is not weird, and my dh has checked him out.  I know on 7xSunday there was a discussion about this, and I understood that my doctor may be rare as far as that goes, I really don't know.  But, a naturopathic type doctor who can test for deficiencies may be just as well, and safer.

Just some thoughts,
Cara 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 07:38:23 AM by cecac »

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 08:29:13 AM »
I am going back to talk to the chiropractor today. I will see if she can send my research in a better direction. Most of the things I have been reading about don't include chiro care. I will most definitely be continuing to see her IF I have the rods removed so that would make a difference. The good thing is that the orthopedic surgeon didn't fuse the vertebra when he installed my rods. So would be free if we took all the hardware out.

The problem with the hardware (from what I have been reading lately) is that herrington rods were not meant to stay in forever. The purpose was to install them to support the spine after it was fused and then remove the rod 18 months to three years later when everything had hardened and healed. So, after a while they moved to using titanium rods (instead of stainless steel) and leaving them in. Now, they only fuse some of the time. However, after 10-15-20 years, the rods are breaking. Like when people go to pick something up and it just snaps! Well, how horrible is that!?!

Also, the disks that are not being "supported" by the rods are carrying more of a load and so after a while you end up with degenerative disk disease.

Or you end up with flat back syndrome because the muscle in your back cannot be used since you are not immobile in that area. So as you age you slowly bend farther and farther forward until you need more rods connected to your pelvis to help you stand upright! 

Now, I am scared to leave them in and to take them out. My husband says to just take them out. He thinks that it would be better. He wants to think and pray about it more though. The risks are the same as when they were put in for paralysis. Long term issues would be the same as when the scoliosis was really bad before the rods. It could also get way worse if the rods are removed. We just don't know.

I will look into the supplements. I can use all the help I can get. Thank you.

cecac

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 08:36:15 AM »
I will pray for you.

YoopreMama

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 04:05:26 PM »
I'm bumping this up for a friend who had the rods removed in Dec., and is still in some pain...looking for info on natural pain relief (i.e, herbal narcotics)?  Chiropractics help?  She's in PT now for a month.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 07:37:02 PM »
I'm bumping this up for a friend who had the rods removed in Dec., and is still in some pain...looking for info on natural pain relief (i.e, herbal narcotics)?  Chiropractics help?  She's in PT now for a month.

has she tried white willow bark?  It may not be strong enough - I'm not sure.  But it might be worth a shot.

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

YoopreMama

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 01:30:26 AM »
Has she tried white willow bark?  It may not be strong enough - I'm not sure.  But it might be worth a shot. patti
Thanks, Patti  :)  I sent her the thread on Natural Painkillers and the one more like herbal narcotics (wild lettuce, etc.), along w/ some others.  She's new to this perspective, so I'm just getting some general stuff out to her as she contemplates alternatives...herbal painkillers, chiropractics, and sugar water injections--anyone try that?

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 02:15:10 AM »
This thread may also be of some help.  It's a form of physical therapy (simple exercises) that cause the muscles to pull the spine back into alignment.  I had sciatica problems in my hip, and this fixed it!

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,22257.0.html
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline rainygladness

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 03:17:26 AM »
Our daughter has severe scoliosis and we got her a DVD by Elise Browing Miller with special excercises for scoliosis.  She said it brings a good deal of relief from the pain. 

*Note: the lady that does the exercises has a little of that "yoga new age" talk sometimes (we just ignored it).
Always remember you're unique - just like everybody else!

YoopreMama

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 01:21:38 AM »
www.scoliosisrehab.com is a place that my friend will check out next week (there are 2 spots--WI and AZ).  She will learn exercises over 2 days that are designed to help someone w/ scoliosis (particularly w/ the fused vertebrae) to breather better.

Anyone ever hear of it?