Author Topic: Synthyroid & Armour: Side Effects & Personal Experience  (Read 24985 times)

Offline bakermom

• Adept
Synthyroid & Armour: Side Effects & Personal Experience
« on: March 09, 2008, 02:54:05 AM »
Has anyone experienced side effects with this drug?   My endo will not prescribe anything else.  Are there any studies I could read that point to Armour as better?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 04:42:26 AM by healthybratt »

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
Re: Synthyroid & Armour: Side Effects & Personal Experience
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 03:19:23 AM »
I have been taking for years!  It will be very difficult for you to convince your endo to give you armour, in my opinion.  At one time I tried to convince my doctor and he said that synthroid was better formulated and provided a consistent dosage, which he insisted armour did not.

From my research, the risks of an uncontrolled thyroid outweigh any risk that the synthroid might cause.  I take synthroid every day and have not experienced any adverse effects.

May I suggest that you start taking it to bring things under control, work on maybe supplementing your diet with thyroid healing foods such as coconut and cod liver oil, and see if maybe your body can help itself either reduce the necessary dosage, or perhaps heal itself entirely.

The implications of an uncontrolled thyroid are not one that I personally would want to risk.  If you have any other questions, you can check out our thyroid threads or PM me.    Obviously my opinion is pretty strong ;-)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 04:42:41 AM by healthybratt »
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
Re: synthroid side effects and armour
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 04:46:15 AM »
I have been taking for years!  It will be very difficult for you to convince your endo to give you armour, in my opinion.  At one time I tried to convince my doctor and he said that synthroid was better formulated and provided a consistent dosage, which he insisted armour did not.

From my research, the risks of an uncontrolled thyroid outweigh any risk that the synthroid might cause.  I take synthroid every day and have not experienced any adverse effects.

May I suggest that you start taking it to bring things under control, work on maybe supplementing your diet with thyroid healing foods such as coconut and cod liver oil, and see if maybe your body can help itself either reduce the necessary dosage, or perhaps heal itself entirely.

The implications of an uncontrolled thyroid are not one that I personally would want to risk.  If you have any other questions, you can check out our thyroid threads or PM me.    Obviously my opinion is pretty strong ;-)

Synthroid is only T3 hormone.  Armour is T3 and T4.  Your body is made to respond and needs both T3 and T4 to fully function the way God intended it to.  From a health standpoint, I would not put synthroid in my body.  It is a chemical and as chemicals go, they usually aren't good for you.

As far as side effects, I did a very quick google search and this is one of only a bunch of links I found http://mb.rxlist.com/rxboard/general.pl?noframes;read=5867 .  These don't sound like side effects from something that won't "hurt" you because your body needs it.

If you can't get your doctor to prescribe armour, then find another one.  My guess is if you tell your doctor to prescribe armour or you'll find another doc, he will (money talks).  But if he doesn't, find one who does.  I'm usually polite in my first request to see how they respond and if they fight me then my gloves come off.  Nicely, of course.   ;D It wasn't that hard for me to find a doctor to do it.  For whatever excuse he gives you tell him you are the final decision maker and will choose what goes into your body.  If he says he doesn't know how to prescribe it then tell him to call a pharmacist.  Duh.  Dosing starts at 20mg. I believe.  It's very different from synthroid in terms of dosing.  If memory serves me correct, synthroid is prescribed in 100's of mgs. 

But if it were me, I wouldn't touch that stuff.  If you have to, you could take it until you find someone to prescribe the armour if your thyroid is that bad, but if it's just a little low, I'd just go on a doctor search.  JMHO. FWIW.

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline bakermom

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 01:56:05 AM »
The dr says it is IMPOSSIBLE to have side effects.   Well the fourth night, I had these horrible heart palpations.  I could feel them even with my hand.  Scary.  The three days before there was headache etc.  but that went away.   I just feel the need to at least explore other possibilities and then I can always take this again at any time.  I have to wait to see the family dr for three weeks just to ask about armour.  That seems wrong to me.  I don't even know if he will help me.  I have a natural dr appointment but they won't take me until July so I am going to call a radio program nutritionist who is famous today and see what he says.  I don't really want someone to tell me to quit eating meat and dairy etc though.  I would try supplements though.  Coconut oil is good but I can't see myself scarfing down three whole tablespoons per day.   I already use it in my cooking when possible. 
I am just so mad about this whole thing!!!!!
And I am tired of people telling me when I am tired that it is my age and that I have 6 kids.  The synthroid helped my energy in just four pills so I know the real me is lurking in me somewhere!!!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 02:10:19 AM »
The dr says it is IMPOSSIBLE to have side effects.   Well the fourth night, I had these horrible heart palpations.  I could feel them even with my hand.  Scary.  The three days before there was headache etc.  but that went away.   I just feel the need to at least explore other possibilities and then I can always take this again at any time.  I have to wait to see the family dr for three weeks just to ask about armour.  That seems wrong to me.  I don't even know if he will help me.  I have a natural dr appointment but they won't take me until July so I am going to call a radio program nutritionist who is famous today and see what he says.  I don't really want someone to tell me to quit eating meat and dairy etc though.  I would try supplements though.  Coconut oil is good but I can't see myself scarfing down three whole tablespoons per day.   I already use it in my cooking when possible. 
I am just so mad about this whole thing!!!!!
And I am tired of people telling me when I am tired that it is my age and that I have 6 kids.  The synthroid helped my energy in just four pills so I know the real me is lurking in me somewhere!!!
I am so sorry.  I used to take Leveoxly years ago.  Very small dose.  It is the generic of synthroid.  I never had side effects but it was very low dose.  I ended up just quitting b/c I didn't think there was any benefit.  I didn't really have symptoms and the blood test showed I was fine.  Then I started losing hair so badly after several yrs.  So I went to a ND.  Will your dr not perscribe Armour?  I am not really surprised that your dr said no side effects.  I take something now called Total thyroid.  I have seen a difference in my hair and I remember this morning to take my basal and it was 96.4(not adding a degree)which is up.  Used to run in the 94s.  My hair is not falling out either.  Well, the normal loss now.  I am in a quandry right now as to whether I should stop.  It is for healing my thyroid not medicating it for life.  It says for professional distrib. only but I was able to purchase this online.  Is there any way you can see an ND that would perscribe something natural?  If you would like more info on what I am taking you can pm me.  I don't know if you would want to take something like that w/o a drs okay or not.  I hope  you find a solution.  I quit taking the levoxyl b/c of the side effect it said of bone density loss.  Well, I sure didn't need that.  Course they say don't quit "cold turkey" like that but I figured my dose was so low it couldn't make much difference.  I got shocked looks but after 3 mo of checking(and i was preggo) and it was fine.....it was fine.  I had found something online called thyroxine or something(it's been like 6 yrs)but right after I purchased it I found out I was preggo so I didn't think I should take it as I did  it on a whim.  I knew I would be preggo or nursing for yrs so I just threw it out.   :)

Offline bakermom

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 04:52:44 AM »
I have seen those natural things and would like to try them but I want to get pregnant as soon as I can and I am afraid it may not be safe without a dr okay.

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 05:07:36 AM »
I have seen those natural things and would like to try them but I want to get pregnant as soon as I can and I am afraid it may not be safe without a dr okay.
Yeah, I understand.  I think what i am taking would be okay while preggo, I was taking it while nursing but yes, it's hard to do w/o some saying okay and I am quite sure an MD would not say okay to something that was not a drug.   ::) I knwo that ND does phone consults but not sure if you want to go that route.  All she could do really I think would be able to say if that thing was safe while PG or not. 

Offline bakermom

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 02:20:17 AM »
I am taking armour - for two weeks now.  It is normal for me to have heart paplitations at times.  Since taking this medicine I am having a racing pounding heart all the time escpecially when i go to bed.  I cut the pill in half yesterday and it was much less but still there.  I am already taking the lowest dose- 15 mg.  I know I want my thyroid to work properly so I want to take the medication.  Any of you have trouble with a poundy heart?  Could it be some other problem?

Offline jenibee

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 04:16:36 AM »
Yikes!  That sounds scary!   :o

I don't know anything about Armour, but my family has been off prescription meds for a few years now and we all feel much healthier.  DH was on blood pressure medication and having some horrendous side effects; the doctor kept switching his meds, but they all had yucky side effects.  Hopefully somebody that knows more about Armour will reply, but let me know if you're interested in an herbal combination for your thyroid.  I can just tell you how to make it yourself - it will be WAY cheaper than any prescription.

Here are some quotes from "The How-To Herbal" on thyroid combinations:
[This combination] regulates the thyroid gland whether hyper-thyroid (over active) or hypo-thyroid (under active.)

When synthetic thyroxin goes into the blood stream it tells the thyroid there is already thyroxin in the blood thus the thyroid ceases to function normally.

Herbs for the thyroid aid the thyroid so it can regulate itself and produce the thyroxin the body needs.

Contains nutrients and minerals, including iodine and trace minerals, that feed the thyroid.

The herbs seem to try to put themselves out of a job whereas many times drugs cause the body to depend upon them.

These herbs all fall under the category of FOOD and therefore will not alter your body chemistry unnaturally.  Let me know if you're interested - I try not to be an 'herb pusher' any more than I can help it.  :D

cecac

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 08:30:17 AM »
I am taking armour - for two weeks now.  It is normal for me to have heart paplitations at times.  Since taking this medicine I am having a racing pounding heart all the time escpecially when i go to bed.  I cut the pill in half yesterday and it was much less but still there.  I am already taking the lowest dose- 15 mg.  I know I want my thyroid to work properly so I want to take the medication.  Any of you have trouble with a poundy heart?  Could it be some other problem?

My MIL is on Armour, and I would think pounding heart is a side effect of taking too much.  I would be calling her doctor at the point she had that symptom.   You may want to give it a day or two to settle down at the reduced dose, though, too?

I believe there is also a thread about racing heart here--there are some possible links to magnesium deficiency and other minerals that might be a culprit, although if the racing started with the Armour, then that may not would be a possibility.

Also, you may want to check out the Iodine thread--just some more to be aware of with thyroid situations.

HTH, blessings,
Cara

Offline servantgirl

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 04:45:03 AM »
Hi,
My Dr put me on Armour about 3 weeks ago now. 30 mg per day. At first I noticed that I just generally felt better, nothing specific though. Then I felt "stronger", not more energy, just as if I had more strength, which I really needed as I usually feel very weak. Now it seems that the feeling fades away later in the day, and I am back to feeling drained and spacey at the end of the day. ( I take the Armour in the morning.)

What does this mean? Do I need a higher dose?

Oh, BTW, I have always had a weak and slow heartbeat, and this seems to help strengthen that a little.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.

Offline Ruby

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 08:06:24 AM »
I would be interested in an herbal combination for the thyroid.  I am currently on synthroid.  Thanks!

cecac

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 08:25:26 AM »
There is Thytrophin from Standard Process.  You can find Standard Process on the web.  It is full of glandulars, etc, specifically designed to nourish the Thyroid.  I've used Drenamin for adrenals by the same company and did very well on that supplement.  I will be taking Thytrophin, Drenamin, and Symplex F by Standard Process after this baby is born.  Symplex F nourishes more of the entire endocrine system.

There is no live horomone in these products (as in Armour).

Offline jenibee

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 08:57:21 AM »
I would be interested in an herbal combination for the thyroid.  I am currently on synthroid.  Thanks!

Standard Process products are all very good, from my experience.  If these are too costly (most likely, insurance won't cover it), you might look into compounding this formula yourself:

4 parts kelp
2 parts irish moss
1 part parsley
1/2 part capsicum

- or - if you can find all these ingredients, here is a broader-spectrum glandular formula:

1 part Parsley
4 parts Watercress
5 parts Kelp
1 part Irish moss
1 part Romaine lettuce
1 part Turnip tops
1 part Iceland moss

Formula #2 is from Dr. Christopher's School of Natural Healing.  Dosage for either formula will be 2-3 capsules 3 times per day; take the capsules for six days and simply remember to drink lots of water on the 7th day.  Repeat this same cycle each week.

It will probably run you about $20 per month for the herbs, but you'll need to buy them in bulk (maybe 1 lb at a time, from www.herbalcom.com) to get the best deal.  I make up our whole-food vitamins this way, and an initial expense of $100 worth of herbs keeps us going for more than a year!

Results will be slower coming with an herbal treatment than with, say, Synthroid, but after three to four months, you should notice a marked change, and hopefully you'll be able to "ease off" or quit your prescription.   As I said in the quote I posted before, these herbs tend to put themselves out of a job.  Best wishes!!  Let us know how it goes.

Offline mande

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
I am also taking Synthroid 75 mcg/day and have been for almost three years.  I would love to no longer be putting a chemical into my body and was excited to read this blog, especially the herbal recipe.  I have a few questions regarding the herbal recipe:
1.  I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis which is an autoimmune disease.  Do you think that the herbs will still work for me?
2.  I am currently 3 months pregnant.  Should I wait until I am done breastfeeding to start "experimenting with herbs"?  Sorry - I have never tried a herbal remedy before, besides Beeyoutiful vitamins, etc. and never made my own capsules.  It's kinda scary, but it would be such a blessing to have normal thyroid function again.  :)

Offline WithLoveAndJoy

• Master
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 02:30:25 PM »
I am also taking Synthroid 75 mcg/day and have been for almost three years.  I would love to no longer be putting a chemical into my body and was excited to read this blog, especially the herbal recipe.  I have a few questions regarding the herbal recipe:
1.  I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis which is an autoimmune disease.  Do you think that the herbs will still work for me?
2.  I am currently 3 months pregnant.  Should I wait until I am done breastfeeding to start "experimenting with herbs"?  Sorry - I have never tried a herbal remedy before, besides Beeyoutiful vitamins, etc. and never made my own capsules.  It's kinda scary, but it would be such a blessing to have normal thyroid function again.  :)

I would not make a change during pregnancy, but that is just me. The thyroid is critical especially during early pregnancy, particularly to help supply hormones to sustain and nurture the pregnancy, and I would be very careful about making any changes without the observation of  a professional, be they an OB or an ND.    But again, that is just my opinion.
Visit my blog and see my deals for the week :)

http://homemakersresource.blogspot.com/

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 06:26:27 PM »

Mande,

If you have Hashimoto's it is likely herbs will not work for you.  An AI is a little different then just low function.  That said, there are a few things I would highly recommend.  Autoimmune diseases as a whole are generally caused by a toxic body.  Therefore, I would encourage you to do both short term cleansing and long term slow cleansing.  Cleaning out the toxic body will do more to heal you then anything.  Additionally, you CAN take Armour thyroid for Hashimoto's and that is a natural hormone.  So, I would recommend you tell your doctor (he does work for you) that you want him to switch you to Armour.  If he refuses, I would tell him you will find a doctor that will prescribe it then.  Basically, you just told him you'll take your money elsewhere.  If he doesn't back down then find another doctor.  There are doctors who will prescribe Armour.  It might be wise to print off some information on Armour and why it's better (it has both T3 and T4 just as one example) to take with you.  This way, he'll know you did your research and you can give it to him for dosing information. 

I think if you do these two things you will find long term healing of your thyroid.  Cleansing for an AI can take a long time.  I've heard of some people healing AI diseases in 2yrs and others in 5yrs.  So plan on being in it for the long haul. 

hth

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline evalea

• Learning
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 03:51:24 PM »
Just my experience, but I have been on Armour for almost three years.  My thyroid was shot because of another disease I have, so bye-bye normal function!  The heart palpitations are a normal reaction to Armour.  I know how you feel.  At first, I was scared that something was wrong with my heart as well as thyroid, but after some research and talking to my doctor, it is normal to have heart palpitations and racing pulse.  I take Bach's Rescue Remedy and it helps the heart thing.  I am on a higher dose, 100mg, but my doctor tested and it is the exact amount that I need.  I can notice a difference in a few hours if I forget to take it.  Kind of a brain fog and odd fatigue.  Are you taking it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach?  This is what my Dr. told me to do.  HTH
~e

In all things approving ourselves as the ministers of God.

Offline Kellyj

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 11:28:36 AM »
I've been on Armour for almost two years now and I feel much better on it than I ever did on synthyroid. As for the heart palpitations (these are NOT normal), I only get them when I take too high of a dose. Once I cut the dose back, it takes about 2 days for the palpitations to stop completely. I take my dose cut up into three doses each day. I'm currently taking 135 mg so I take 60 mg in the morning, 45 mg in the early afternoon around lunch and then 30 mg while I'm fixing supper. I've also found that taking it with food or putting my dose under my tongue and letting it dissolve on it's own makes me feel better. The 3:00 pm "slump" seems to be normal for most people. I just eat a healthy snack like a hand full of raisins or grapes, etc. at that time and then my energy builds back up. When I took my whole dose in the morning, I was tired again by lunch and couldn't get my energy back up at all until the next morning.
Once you are on the proper dose for your body, if you still occasionally get heart palpitations (perimenopause/menopause symptoms) you can take a dropper full of Motherwort tincture/glycerite every half hour until the palpitations stop. Don't take this long term though (everyday for several months) since it lowers thyroid function for those with hyperthyroidism.
Kelly
"Is anything too hard for the Lord?" Gen 18:14a

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 02:48:12 PM »
I know that there are others on this forum who are taking Armour for their thyroid, and thought that you might be interested in reading about the reformulation that is causing problems for some people.

Armour Reformulation

I just learned of this today when my daughter called our homeopathic physician's office to order medications for the next few months and was told that he has replaced Armour with another supplement.  She is extremely worried about how this will impact her health.

Hmmmm????

ETA:  Just found another article saying that ALL dessicated thyroid products have had production stopped!!

Natural thyroid treatment
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 03:27:10 PM by ladyhen »
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 04:26:49 PM »
Wow!  Thanks for this info.  While I have not been on Armour for quite some time now, it was instrumental in keeping me "normal" while I healed my body naturally.  I will keep this info for future reference as I think it's SO important!

patti

Offline Kellyj

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2009, 03:22:11 PM »
I bought the last batch of Armour from my local Walgreen's in Sept. It turned out to be the reformulated stuff. My legs have had an itchy rash on them since I started taking it. I can't stop taking it since my thyroid doesn't function at all.
I found out in Aug that Forest Labs wasn't making Armour anymore due to some trouble with the FDA. Naturethroid and Westthroid by RLC Labs are supposed to be back on the market in January, according to my pharmacist. In the mean time, anyone who needs their natural dessicated thyroid can call a compounding pharmacy. I found two near me that have plenty of dessicated thyroid powder to make capsules of whatever dose I need. One pharmacy takes my insurance but is only local, the other pharmacy doesn't take any insurance but they ship to anywhere in the US for $5.00. They charge $1.35 per capsule made no matter the dose.
You can go to http://www.iacprx.org/site/PageServer?pagename=home_page to find a compounding pharmacy in your area. Click on "Find a compounding pharmacy" on the right side of the screen.
Kelly
"Is anything too hard for the Lord?" Gen 18:14a

Offline guysgal

• Learning
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
I've ordered the herbs recommended by jenibee. Can anyone tell me if I should continue taking my dose of synthroid for a while after starting the herbs? I know it will take a while for the herbs to do their work but will continuing the synthroid slow down the herbs progress? I have reduced my own dose of synthroid over the past year so I am down to about 35 units. I feel that my thyroid function is still low but couldn't take the side effects of the synthroid any longer. My Dr wouldn't listen to me at all and wouldn't consider Armour. There is a naturpath dr here but she won't see me without my medical records. Getting the records from the dr's office has proven to be impossible. >:(

Any advice?
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Pr 3:6

Offline RenaissanceWomn04

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2013, 03:48:52 AM »
Yikes!  That sounds scary!   :o

I don't know anything about Armour, but my family has been off prescription meds for a few years now and we all feel much healthier.  DH was on blood pressure medication and having some horrendous side effects; the doctor kept switching his meds, but they all had yucky side effects.  Hopefully somebody that knows more about Armour will reply, but let me know if you're interested in an herbal combination for your thyroid.  I can just tell you how to make it yourself - it will be WAY cheaper than any prescription.

Here are some quotes from "The How-To Herbal" on thyroid combinations:
[This combination] regulates the thyroid gland whether hyper-thyroid (over active) or hypo-thyroid (under active.)

When synthetic thyroxin goes into the blood stream it tells the thyroid there is already thyroxin in the blood thus the thyroid ceases to function normally.

Herbs for the thyroid aid the thyroid so it can regulate itself and produce the thyroxin the body needs.

Contains nutrients and minerals, including iodine and trace minerals, that feed the thyroid.

The herbs seem to try to put themselves out of a job whereas many times drugs cause the body to depend upon them.

These herbs all fall under the category of FOOD and therefore will not alter your body chemistry unnaturally.  Let me know if you're interested - I try not to be an 'herb pusher' any more than I can help it.  :D

I would love to know what the herbs are that help. If you would, please email them to me.
Thank you,
Karen

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2013, 05:48:19 AM »
Karen,  The herbs are listed on this thread in Reply #13
hth
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline RenaissanceWomn04

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 02:37:39 AM »
Karen,  The herbs are listed on this thread in Reply #13
hth

Thank you!
Karen