Poll

What kind of fat do you use most frequently in cooking at home?

Shortening and/or Margarine
4 (2%)
Butter
44 (21.8%)
Tallow/Suet (Beef Fat)
4 (2%)
Lard/Bacon Grease (Pork Fat)
20 (9.9%)
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
32 (15.8%)
Refined Coconut Oil
13 (6.4%)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
41 (20.3%)
Light Olive Oil
6 (3%)
Refined Olive Oil
0 (0%)
Canola Oil
7 (3.5%)
Peanut Oil
4 (2%)
Sunflower Oil
1 (0.5%)
Safflower Oil
4 (2%)
Sesame Oil
7 (3.5%)
Palm Oil
5 (2.5%)
Grape Seed Oil
3 (1.5%)
Vegetable Oil (Soy or Other Based)
2 (1%)
Pumpkin Seed Oil
1 (0.5%)
Other (Unspecified)
3 (1.5%)
Walnut Oil
0 (0%)
Almond Oil
1 (0.5%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: Fats I cook with Poll  (Read 24492 times)

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
Re: Fats I cook with Poll
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2008, 11:21:44 AM »
(lyrics) Did you ever know that you're my hero? ... You are the wind beneath my wings.....

;D Thanks! ;D

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2008, 11:23:37 AM »
The only "other" that I think I use occasionally is almond oil.  That is EXCELLENT on salads!  Yummy nutty but light flavor.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2008, 11:25:42 AM »
Walnut oil is an 'other' as well.  I had it a couple of times years ago and didn't particularly like it.  Almond sounds good, though.  I really LOVE sesame oil.  We use the toasted sesame quite a lot, just in such small amounts that I didn't count it.
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2008, 11:27:53 AM »
They were added.  You can change from other to whatever.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2008, 11:39:19 AM »
 :( Ok, ladies.  I'll 'fess up that I put in that one vote for shortening.  What else do you use for  a pie crust when you want to roll out the crust?  I have an olive oil recipe, but you can't roll it out very good. 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2008, 11:42:04 AM »
:( Ok, ladies.  I'll 'fess up that I put in that one vote for shortening.  What else do you use for  a pie crust when you want to roll out the crust?  I have an olive oil recipe, but you can't roll it out very good. 
Lard or butter.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2008, 11:44:08 AM »
Cookies made with butter go thin and flat ... dh raves about how great they are if I use (gulp) margarine or shortening (which are SO much more affordable) but he doesn't want us to have that if it's bad for us... 

So, coconut oil in cookies holds up better???

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2008, 11:46:19 AM »
Cookies made with butter go thin and flat ... dh raves about how great they are if I use (gulp) margarine or shortening (which are SO much more affordable) but he doesn't want us to have that if it's bad for us... 

CC gave a recipe on the chat thread that used half butter half coconut oil.  They turned out great...and SOOOO YUMMY! ;D
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2008, 12:26:45 PM »

I have found that creaming the bajeebies out of the butter, sugar, egg and vanilla in a cookie recipe actually makes the cookies fluffy.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2008, 12:29:50 PM »

I have found that creaming the bajeebies out of the butter, sugar, egg and vanilla in a cookie recipe actually makes the cookies fluffy.
One at a time is best.  Butter first, then add sugar, then add eggs one at a time.  It really makes a difference in cookies and cakes if you do it in this order.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2008, 04:37:03 PM »
Wow, am I really the only one who uses beef fat?
I love it when I have a little of this on hand. I only ever have it when I have made beef stock recently (I set the stock in the fridge and save the fat from off the top after it has hardened), but it is great to use as the fat in gravy.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2008, 04:41:19 PM »
I love it when I have a little of this on hand. I only ever have it when I have made beef stock recently (I set the stock in the fridge and save the fat from off the top after it has hardened), but it is great to use as the fat in gravy.

WR

You are right, wr, it DOES make the best gravy!  I didn't check it because we don't have it often.  Somebody gave us a deer so the freezer is currently 'out of stock' on beef.  I love to brown a beef roast in the rendered fat, too. 
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline blessedmama

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2008, 06:22:39 AM »
WR

WR I have 5 BIG bags of tallow in the freezer than I need to render soon so I plan on using it too, I have it if that counts!  ;D
Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh no, she's awake."  Above Rubies e-newsletter

www.homesteadblogger.com/prestonacreage

YoopreMama

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2009, 08:19:21 AM »
Bump...should I check out the Rendering thread?   ???

Found it, and posted HERE and HERE.   ;D
...I do have some suet in the freezer from a processed cow- it this the same as tallow or does it have to be processed some how- and what do you cook with it?

WR

WR I have 5 BIG bags of tallow in the freezer than I need to render soon so I plan on using it too, I have it if that counts!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 08:36:04 AM by Yooper »

Offline Ruesae

• Learning
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2009, 08:03:21 AM »
Hurray!!! I just substituted Coconut Oil (unrefined good stuff) for Crisco in my mom's Oatmeal Cookie recipe that I was making for my dad. I forgot CO leaves a slight taste when I made that decision but I absolutely refuse to use Crisco so the choice was use all butter or half butter half CO (instead of Crisco). And he loves them - Hurray!!!! I was really nervous when he tried them! (they're for company also) My dad and this recipe follow the stereotype about "mom's recipe". Only her's is good and only the way she makes it - so HURRAY! I snuck in more healthy eating w/o being caught. :D Usually my efforts don't work that well. Anyway, I wasn't sure where to post this but I wanted to let other WTMers that the substitution worked really well in my oatmeal cookies!