Author Topic: Chocolate a health food?  (Read 70716 times)

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Re: Chocolate a health food?
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2007, 08:24:44 AM »
They are also available on the worldwidechocolate website.

See, I told you that website was a bad idea!  :D

Offline oneblessedwoman

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2007, 11:27:22 AM »
There is a line of thinking that it is very unhealthy to get between a woman and her chocolate.  :o ;) :D
Yes.  Yes.  Hubby discovered this some time ago.

LOL!  Definitely a proven fact.

Nickole

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2007, 11:19:05 AM »
How do you guys stand dark chocolate  :P?  Seriously, did you always really prefer the taste, or just get used to it b/c it's healthier?  I've always hated it, but then we had given to us for Christmas a huge gourmet bag of truffles, and when there were only the dark chocolate ones left, well, better than nothing, so then it seemed to not be so bad.  I thought, hmm, maybe I could get used to this.

Now, is it healthier just because there isn't as much sugar in it?  Or is there something else too that makes it better ?  There are antioxidants in semi-sweet too, right?  But then you get the added sugar with it. 

I saw those Nestle chips HB - no soy!  Buuuut I got semi-sweet, because those Nestle ones only came in Dark and Bittersweet (beige bag I think, everyone).  I wonder why?  Had to go with the soy.  But now I'm wondering if I should get used to the dark.   :-[ ???

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2007, 11:26:51 AM »
How do you guys stand dark chocolate  :P?  Seriously, did you always really prefer the taste, or just get used to it b/c it's healthier?  I've always hated it, but then we had given to us for Christmas a huge gourmet bag of truffles, and when there were only the dark chocolate ones left, well, better than nothing, so then it seemed to not be so bad.  I thought, hmm, maybe I could get used to this.

Now, is it healthier just because there isn't as much sugar in it?  Or is there something else too that makes it better ?  There are antioxidants in semi-sweet too, right?  But then you get the added sugar with it. 

I saw those Nestle chips HB - no soy!  Buuuut I got semi-sweet, because those Nestle ones only came in Dark and Bittersweet (beige bag I think, everyone).  I wonder why?  Had to go with the soy.  But now I'm wondering if I should get used to the dark.   :-[ ???

I used to hate dark chocolate when I was a kid but then my taste buds grew up  ;D

I think you do get used to it and then milk chocolate begins to taste like plastic.  In high school I had a twix every day.  I still have chocolate every day but always dark and never a candy bar type.  Of course, I ONLY eat it for the health benefits... ;)

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2007, 11:37:54 AM »
How do you guys stand dark chocolate  :P?  Seriously, did you always really prefer the taste, or just get used to it b/c it's healthier?  I've always hated it,...

It's a matter of sophistication. Those who attain that level do appreciate the dark chocolate and those who haven't....

Anyway, I like the flavor.  I like dark beers, too.  I might 'take' something that was good for me if it tasted nasty - but I don't choose it.  That's why the dark chocolate is back in our room and the Jungle Juice is left in the kitchen getting dusty.
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Nickole

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2007, 11:41:35 AM »
How do you guys stand dark chocolate  :P?  Seriously, did you always really prefer the taste, or just get used to it b/c it's healthier?  I've always hated it,...

It's a matter of sophistication. Those who attain that level do appreciate the dark chocolate and those who haven't....

Anyway, I like the flavor.  I like dark beers, too.  I might 'take' something that was good for me if it tasted nasty - but I don't choose it.  That's why the dark chocolate is back in our room and the Jungle Juice is left in the kitchen getting dusty.

So you're a chocolate snob?  ;D

I just ate some semi-sweet chocolate chips and I feel so  :P :P :P :P.

freshisbest

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2007, 11:45:50 AM »
When I read somewhere that dark chocolate was GOOD for me I started acquiring a taste but quick!! I was happy to give up milk chocolate in favor of the dark if it meant I could eat it guilt free!! Thats not to say I eat it MORE...just that I reach for the dark if and when I do. And I use the dark chips in my cookies. We made the peanut butter haystacks with them too...didn't stop the kids from chowing down.

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2007, 11:48:46 AM »
The darkest, unsweetened chocolate I can find. Black Cherry Juice concentrate 1:1 with water in one of my nicest glasses.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :)
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2007, 12:02:21 PM »

My dad's family was very German/European, and their deserts are generally more fat and rich, and less sweet.  So when we ate dessert, it was usually fat and rich.  I think that's why I love the richness of dark chocolate that isn't very sweet.  And if there's some unsweetended whipped cream to put on top of it...yummmmmmmmmmm.  We also ate chocolate with fruit -- European, again (like SC's dessert). 

That's why the dark chocolate is back in our room and the Jungle Juice is left in the kitchen getting dusty.

ROTFL... ;D
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2007, 12:58:41 PM »

Semi-sweet - that's your problem.  Try bittersweet!  Trader Joes carries these bittersweet pound plus bricks.  My husband and I can go through a pound plus pretty quickly.

Nickole

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2007, 04:48:53 PM »

Semi-sweet - that's your problem.  Try bittersweet!  Trader Joes carries these bittersweet pound plus bricks.  My husband and I can go through a pound plus pretty quickly.

Ok, Nestle had the bittersweet so at least until I can make it to Trader Joes I can try that.

To top it off I had Taco Bell for dinner.   :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P  Don't need any lectures - I paid for it! :-X An hour in bed and catnip/peppermint tea in my hands.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2007, 04:51:43 PM »

To top it off I had Taco Bell for dinner.   

YUP!  That's why my hubby calls it Taco H*LL!  ;D

Nickole

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2007, 04:53:59 PM »

To top it off I had Taco Bell for dinner.   

YUP!  That's why my hubby calls it Taco H*LL!  ;D

I knew I should have put "healthyinOhio" in parentheses after the not needing a lecture part!  ;D

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2007, 05:03:37 PM »
What's that about Taco Bell using a lower grade of meat than is required for dog food?  No lectures here, sounds like your body is already lecturing you :D

Nickole

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2007, 05:05:07 PM »
What's that about Taco Bell using a lower grade of meat than is required for dog food?  No lectures here, sounds like your body is already lecturing you :D

You're making me feel bad again!  GROAN!!!   :P :P :P

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2007, 06:36:56 AM »

I used to hate dark chocolate when I was a kid but then my taste buds grew up  ;D

I think you do get used to it and then milk chocolate begins to taste like plastic.  In high school I had a twix every day.  I still have chocolate every day but always dark and never a candy bar type.  Of course, I ONLY eat it for the health benefits... ;)
I liked milk chocolate up until a few months ago.   It's a sugar thing.  You have high or low tolerance for sweets.  I know mine is much lower since treating for candida.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2007, 07:43:56 AM »
You know how some people crave sweet and some crave salty?  I like bitter.  I like lemons, darker beers, and darker unsweetened chocolate.  I also love that feeling you get in your jaw when you eat something tart; when I'm pregnant I crave that. 
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Nickole

« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2007, 07:46:48 AM »
As I have gotten older, I have craved bitter more and sweet less  :-\.  I wonder if there's a hormonal thing going on. 

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2007, 07:56:43 AM »
Bitter, dark, rich . . . YUM!
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2007, 08:03:03 AM »
I have a feeling when we all get together for the first WTM gathering there's going to be a lot of dark chocolate, home made ales and d'uva for comparing, kefir swapping, and that famous thunder from down under chili.   :D

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2007, 08:35:31 AM »
You know how some people crave sweet and some crave salty?  I like bitter.  I like lemons, darker beers, and darker unsweetened chocolate.  I also love that feeling you get in your jaw when you eat something tart; when I'm pregnant I crave that. 

Yep...I like bitter, tart, and tangy.  The right amount of sweetness added to any of those is really good. 

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2007, 08:59:18 AM »
Yep.  I always calll first dibs on yellow or green candy!

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2007, 09:09:09 AM »
Hey check this out.  You may have to hit translate into English.

They have one called Noir Infiniti-- 99%!!!

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2007, 10:22:50 AM »
Chocolate is not always the answer.  When I was pregnant with our second child I asked my husband to bring me home some kiwis.  He saw the price of them, and brought me a box of chocolate covered cherries instead, thinking (and herein lies his mistake!) cheaper, and how can you go wrong bringing a pregnant women chocolate. 

The advice he always gives to men with pregnant wives is, don't think, just bring her what she asked for!

Offline heatheronthehill

• Adept
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2007, 12:14:35 PM »
Chocolate is not always the answer.  When I was pregnant with our second child I asked my husband to bring me home some kiwis.  He saw the price of them, and brought me a box of chocolate covered cherries instead, thinking (and herein lies his mistake!) cheaper, and how can you go wrong bringing a pregnant women chocolate. 

The advice he always gives to men with pregnant wives is, don't think, just bring her what she asked for!

HA!  I'm pregnant for the first time right now, and I'm amazed that I have no desire at all for chocolate anymore!  I just plain don't want it!  Sad because my husband got me some really nice dark chocolates for Valentine's day.  :(  He's the one eating them now! 

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2007, 04:15:55 PM »
Ok...for all of us who consider chocolate to be a necessity  ;) ...this health guy, Mike Adams, reviewed some really great healthy chocolate options.  This is the rich, dark stuff.  All of the reviewed products (five of them, I think) are sweetened with agave nectar, or some other natural thing!  Anyway, they look GREAT, so I thought I'd post this.  The review is here, and the links to each product are in his review:

http://www.newstarget.com/021756.html

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2007, 07:53:36 AM »
I ordered Coca Nibs from Azure Standard Food Club.  They are supposed to be a really good source of Magnesium.   I was hoping I could just eat them by the handful   :D   but~~~~they really aren't that tastie.   :(    I did put them in Chocolate Chip cookie recipe (instead of the chocolate chips  ;D ) and I really like them.  Gave the cookies a different taste and a little crunch.  I love chocolate and am kind of disappointed I can't eat these just plain.   Anybody else tried them?
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2007, 08:02:44 AM »
Ok...for all of us who consider chocolate to be a necessity  ;) ...this health guy, Mike Adams, reviewed some really great healthy chocolate options.  This is the rich, dark stuff.  All of the reviewed products (five of them, I think) are sweetened with agave nectar, or some other natural thing!  Anyway, they look GREAT, so I thought I'd post this.  The review is here, and the links to each product are in his review:

http://www.newstarget.com/021756.html

Katie,

Forgot to mention that I went to that Raw site to find the chocolate sweetened with agave necter and I couldn't see where to buy it?  I guess they said they have too much business, right now?  Did you find that?

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2007, 08:04:38 AM »
I ordered Coca Nibs from Azure Standard Food Club. 

Acutally, I just got a free pack of Garden of Life's Rainforest Cacao pieces with brazil nuts and coffee, today, in the mail.  Sounds similar, but I am hesitant to eat it because of the caffeine in it.  Mine is sweetened with some rain forest can sugar....ooohhhh.....aaahhhhh!  :D  Ya think it would make it taste better?

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2007, 08:10:26 AM »
I ordered Coca Nibs from Azure Standard Food Club.  They are supposed to be a really good source of Magnesium.   I was hoping I could just eat them by the handful   :D   but~~~~they really aren't that tastie.   :(    I did put them in Chocolate Chip cookie recipe (instead of the chocolate chips  ;D ) and I really like them.  Gave the cookies a different taste and a little crunch.  I love chocolate and am kind of disappointed I can't eat these just plain.   Anybody else tried them?

I love chocolate nibs...but I've never eaten them plain.  I've been keeping an eye on them at our HFS because I want to buy them, but don't have money for that luxury just yet!   I like them in stuff.  Especially in chocolate (or on top of something chocolate).  The Endangered Species Bat bar has cocoa nibs in it -- I really like that one.  I've heard of putting them in salad or on top of ice cream or in a smoothie.  I looked to find some other ideas and found this site:

http://www.adventuresinrawfood.com/what-to-do-with-raw-cacao-nibs-or-cocoa-nibs-aka-chocolate-nibs

Here's a muffin recipe that looks really good -- it includes kefir and cocao nibs!  What more could you want?   ;D ;D

http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archives/2005/03/muffins_a_la_framboise_eclats_de_feve_de_cacao_imbb13.php

Let me know how you use them, and what you like!