Author Topic: Chocolate a health food?  (Read 70690 times)

Offline Kati*did

• Master
Re: Chocolate a health food?
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2007, 08:17:06 AM »
Ok...for all of us who consider chocolate to be a necessity  ;) ...this health guy, Mike Adams, reviewed some really great healthy chocolate options.  This is the rich, dark stuff.  All of the reviewed products (five of them, I think) are sweetened with agave nectar, or some other natural thing!  Anyway, they look GREAT, so I thought I'd post this.  The review is here, and the links to each product are in his review:

http://www.newstarget.com/021756.html

Katie,

Forgot to mention that I went to that Raw site to find the chocolate sweetened with agave necter and I couldn't see where to buy it?  I guess they said they have too much business, right now?  Did you find that?

I just assumed it must be somewhere in stores.  But I did notice that I couldn't buy it online, which is what I wanted to do.  One of the bars (or was it the energy-type bars?) was available, but you had to buy a case. Ummm...right.  I could probably convince me, but not dh.   ;)  I'm going to search online more and see if they're selling them anywhere else.
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2007, 08:44:30 AM »
How did I miss this thread?  I can't believe I missed a chocolate thread!!

I haven't been out and about for awhile, but they now have dark chocolate M&M's.  And dark chocolate Reeces.  I'm sure yall all already knew this, but I was excited!!  I can't afford the really good stuff right now.  I'll go back to eating healthy again after the chocolate is gone from Easter.

And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2007, 09:52:42 AM »
I just found out that my beloved Lindor Truffles come in 60% dark now and they are swoon worthy!

Offline dara

• Master
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2007, 11:34:15 AM »
I just assumed it must be somewhere in stores.  But I did notice that I couldn't buy it online, which is what I wanted to do.  One of the bars (or was it the energy-type bars?) was available, but you had to buy a case. Ummm...right.  I could probably convince me, but not dh.     I'm going to search online more and see if they're selling them anywhere else.

Let us know if you find it!
"Write your hurts in the sand
and grave your blessings in stone."

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2007, 04:00:17 PM »
Thanks for the info on the cocoa nibs.   I will try sweeten somehow.  They are really horrid alone. ::)   :o   
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2007, 05:07:48 AM »
I love chocolate nibs...but I've never eaten them plain.
I'll bite.  What's a nib?  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2007, 05:19:17 AM »

It's the actual cocoa bean without the shell. 

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2007, 06:01:27 AM »
I ordered Coca Nibs from Azure Standard Food Club. 

Acutally, I just got a free pack of Garden of Life's Rainforest Cacao pieces with brazil nuts and coffee, today, in the mail.  Sounds similar, but I am hesitant to eat it because of the caffeine in it.  Mine is sweetened with some rain forest can sugar....ooohhhh.....aaahhhhh!  :D  Ya think it would make it taste better?

I got one of those, too except mine has macadamia nuts and no coffee. Being a dark (the darker, the better) choc fan, I think its great esp. because its a little too strong for anyone else in our house and I get it all to myself. :)

Yeah, I'm sure the rain forest cane sugar makes it taste better. ;) ;D

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2007, 06:28:38 AM »
HealthyInOhio, you have to tell me how to get FREE CHOCOLATE!!!  The only thing better than chocolate is free chocolate.  And more chocolate. 

And lindt chocolate is my favorite, too.  So smoothe.  I just made some dark chocolate chip and craisin cookies.  I used 1/3 of the recommended sugar and they're still too sweet, though.  Next time I'm going sugar free and just let the chips sweeten the cookie.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2007, 06:42:34 AM »
HealthyInOhio, you have to tell me how to get FREE CHOCOLATE!!!  The only thing better than chocolate is free chocolate.  And more chocolate. 

Well, it sort of wasn't free.  When you buy something from wholefoodtoday.com (I buy my primal defense there) then everytime you order they send you a free sample.  So, you can order something from them and then get something free.  HTH

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2007, 06:54:28 AM »
I knew it was too good to be true...  :D
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2007, 07:02:14 AM »

Okay, so what are they good for?  I was under the impression that cocoa powder was minus the cocoa butter, but the bean would still contain the butter needed to make real chocolate.  So does this mean you could grind them up, add sweetner and make your own dark chocolate?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2007, 07:07:54 AM »

Okay, so what are they good for?  I was under the impression that cocoa powder was minus the cocoa butter, but the bean would still contain the butter needed to make real chocolate.  So does this mean you could grind them up, add sweetner and make your own dark chocolate?

Yeah...I think so.  But I wouldn't use nibs for that because I can buy chocolate with very little "added" (Lindt 85% is my favorite) for cheaper than I could make it.  And the nibs are far from cheap!!

ShabbyChic -- let me know if you make the cookies without sugar.  They sound awesome and I'd love to try them.  Do you just use a regular choc. chip cookie recipe?  Will they be weird (texturally) without the sugar? 

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2007, 07:08:30 AM »

The only thing I have done with them so far is put them in cookies in place of chocolate chips.   They are REALLY good that way.   Some sites say you can eat them plain but when my chocolate loving daughter and I tried it we both almost gagged.    :'(   ::)   We love dark chocolate but these were~~~~I don't have a word!   Maybe it is an acquired taste thing.   ;)     I will keep researching and let you know if I find a good recipe.   

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2007, 07:16:22 AM »

Yeah...I think so.  But I wouldn't use nibs for that because I can buy chocolate with very little "added" (Lindt 85% is my favorite) for cheaper than I could make it.  And the nibs are far from cheap!!
Okay, so what are they good for? ;D ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2007, 07:28:46 AM »

Okay, so what are they good for? ;D ;D

They're crunchy and they're chocolate!!!  What aren't they good for?   ;D ;D  LOL.  Ok...they supposedly have incredible health benefits.  I mentioned ways of using them above.  I LOVE them in chocolate bars because of the crunchiness and the flavor.  If you make a chocolate cake with a ganache on top, they're great to sprinkle on top.  (OH, YUM). 

I meant to post this site earlier that tells the process from nibs to chocolate:
http://www.itdg.org/docs/technical_information_service/cocoa_and_chocolate.pdf

I typed "cocoa nib" into the google search bar and came up with lots of recipes/uses.

I found this recipe for icecream.  Sounds good!
http://habeasbrulee.com/2006/03/13/cocoa-nib-ice-cream/

Cocoa Nib Ice Cream
1 1/2 C heavy cream
1 1/2 C whole milk
1/4 C cocoa nibs, finely chopped
1/2 C sugar
1/8 tsp salt
Additional cocoa nibs, to be used as a topping

Bring all ingredients (except those nibs which are to sprinked on as a topping later) to boil over medium heat. Remove from heat, cover, and let steep for about 20 minutes. After the mixture has had a chance to steep, strain it through a fine strainer and/or cheesecloth, making sure to squeeze all the liquid out of the cocoa nibs, which are then discarded. Refrigerate and then freeze in your ice cream maker.

When serving, sprinkle on some extra, unsteeped cocoa nibs on as a topping. The contrasting texture and concentrated bursts of flavor perfect the experience.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 07:36:24 AM by Kati*did »

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2007, 07:31:56 AM »
Are the nasty tasting cocoa nibs just made without any sweetener to them?  Maybe this is why they tasted so gross?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2007, 08:28:13 AM »
What's ganache ???   ::)  Seeeeeee!  I DON't know EVERYTHING.   ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2007, 08:37:27 AM »
What's ganache ???   ::)  Seeeeeee!  I DON't know EVERYTHING.   ;D

;D ;D  Ok, ok...you only know the IMPORTANT things.  ;)  A ganache is kind of like a cross between a frosting and a fudge (although to call it either is kind of an insult  ;)) that you can use to glaze a cake or fill truffles.  Super rich...a mixture of pretty equal weights of chocolate (dark, not milk) and heavy cream.  If you want a ganache sauce, I think you add a little more cream than chocolate.

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2007, 08:40:30 AM »
Are the nasty tasting cocoa nibs just made without any sweetener to them?  Maybe this is why they tasted so gross?

From what I understand they are the cocoa without the shell.   They are the highest magnesium content of all foods and are a natural anti-depressant.  They are supposed to be good for people who suffer from migraines.  That is why I got them, thought I would have a good tasting/natural  headache remedy.   ::)  So much for that idea!   :-\    I think a person could eat them in a snack mix that had something sweet in it to balance the  'bitterness'?   In their natural state they are not the slightest bit sweet.   :(

Offline goatgal

• Learning
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2007, 08:51:12 AM »
Dr. Donsbach, a pioneer in holistic health, has made a chocolate bar that he recommends for his cancer patients, all of the benefits without the sugar. He claims chocolate is one of the most powerful known anti-oxidants.  (He claims melatonin is more powerful yet).  His hospital has one of the greatest success rates internationally, so he may have something there.  His chocolate bars are the yummiest, according to me :)   You can buy them at www.letstalkhealth.com

Offline daisey

• Master
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2007, 09:09:20 AM »
http://gourmetsleuth.com/search.asp?search=cocoa+nibs+recipe&SrchType=ALL

Hope this works.  I've never put in a web link before.   Anyway, it is a site with some recipes for Cocoa nibs.  I haven't tried any of these yet but there are a couple that look interesting.

http://www.scharffenberger.com/NEart4.asp

Here is another one that tells about the nibs themselves.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 09:13:20 AM by daisey »

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2007, 02:52:45 PM »
  You can buy them at www.letstalkhealth.com

Is the chocolate the one that is sugar free?  Does it have any sweetener in it?  Is it really that good?

Offline littlewife

• Adept
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2007, 12:57:32 PM »
Does anyone have a good recipe for chocolate chip cookies? If it used honey instead of sugar that would be even better! (wouldn't that make it a healthy cookie?! woohoo!)

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2008, 03:34:17 PM »
Does anyone have a good recipe for chocolate chip cookies? If it used honey instead of sugar that would be even better! (wouldn't that make it a healthy cookie?! woohoo!)

My friend created this recipe for 'healthy' chocolate chip cookies, and they are incredible.  I was sceptical about the spice, but it's a tiny amount, and doesn't compete with the chocolate at all...it lends a nice background flavor.

She uses Sucanat (3/4 c) + Sucanat with honey (1/2) to sweeten. 
I used Zulka (unrefined cane juice crystals). 

Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies

1 c. butter, creamed
1 1/4 c. sugar or equivalent sweetner of your choice
1 egg
1 t. vanilla extract
1/2 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
1/8-1/4 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 c. flour
3 c. old fashioned oats
1 1/2 - 2 c. choc. chunks (Ghirradelli recommended)

Cream together wet ingredients.  Measure out dry ingredients (except chocolate chunks) into a mound on wax paper, blending together a bit.  Add dry ingedients into butter mixture in three batches, combining well between each addition.  Add chocolate chunks last and blend in.

Preheat oven to 375.  Bake for about 9-11 min for crunchy cookies, or 6-9 min. for chewy cookies.  I love them chewy, and so I bake just until the edges are pale brown and the centers still look raw.  They'll conintue to bake and set up after you take them out of the oven.

Yield: approx. 2 dozen cookies.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2008, 06:29:21 PM »
My hubby is quite convinced that chocolate any wya is bad for you. I would love to be able to show him that it is not because I much prefer chocolate of carob, although carob peanut chews are SO good! Anyway does anyone know why it is assumed that even dark chocolate is bad for you, and why it may be good for you?

Offline MamaSong

• Adept
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2008, 03:21:45 AM »
Chocolate gets its bad reputation because it is typically associated with candy/dessert/sugar.  It also contains the stimulant theobromine which is similar to caffeine (see http://www.xocoatl.org/caffeine.htm for details).  It makes you feels good and people crave it, so that automaticaly makes it suspect to some folks.

Dark chocolate is full of antioxidants and has been shown to lower blood pressure.

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2008, 03:47:05 AM »
And chocolate can make an otherwise nuts-o woman very happy and content, and mental health is important, too!   ;)

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2008, 08:33:45 AM »
And chocolate can make an otherwise nuts-o woman very happy and content, and mental health is important, too!   ;)

Yep.  Dark chocolate is definitely a health food.  I agree with CC.  You can tell your poor dh that every woman will agree that chocolate is very healthy and that every woman on the planet instinctively knows this!!  ;D
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2008, 08:52:12 AM »
Chocolate is high in magnesium and chocolate cravings can be a sign of magnesium deficiency.