Author Topic: Chocolate a health food?  (Read 69747 times)

Offline DawnsEarlyBirds

• Adept
Chocolate a health food?
« on: August 01, 2006, 05:25:39 PM »
I learned while touring the Hershey Chocolate factory (as a kid, now you have to go to Chocolate World) that cocoa beans are fermented.  In my mind, having spent the past two years working on increasing our intake of fermented foods (thanks to Nourishing Traditions) that MUST mean chocolate is good for you.  I can imagine the sugars and other nasties added to it are not, but is the chocolate itself - or would that be the cocoa? - bad for you?  I have a friend who says chocolate makes her happy, so that's a good thing, right?  Any one know really what the scoop is?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Chocolate a health food?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 05:31:32 PM »
I learned while touring the Hershey Chocolate factory (as a kid, now you have to go to Chocolate World) that cocoa beans are fermented.  In my mind, having spent the past two years working on increasing our intake of fermented foods (thanks to Nourishing Traditions) that MUST mean chocolate is good for you.  I can imagine the sugars and other nasties added to it are not, but is the chocolate itself - or would that be the cocoa? - bad for you?  I have a friend who says chocolate makes her happy, so that's a good thing, right?  Any one know really what the scoop is?

Chocolate is reputed as being one of the highest natural sources of magnesium.  Magnesium deficiency has been associated with PMS which is why some believe you crave chocolate during that time of the month.  ;)

I read many articles which support this theory.  Here's one of them.

http://www.hub-uk.com/interesting/healthy-chocolate.htm

My favorite herb book!!

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 06:03:51 PM »
From what I understand dark chocolate is very high in anti-oxidants as well.

Offline Chickory Chick

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 06:19:07 PM »
Here are some health facts according to Dagoba Chocolate....now they sell chocolate so you may want to take that into consideration.  :)

http://www.dagobachocolate.com/healthfacts.html
Chickory Chick fka Kayinpa http://kayinpa.blogspot.com/

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 08:48:20 AM »
I found a new chocolate chip that is healthier than your standard brands. 

Nestle Chocolatier now has Bittersweet and Dark chips that only contain:

cocoa, cocoa butter, milk fat, nonfat milk & sugar

since they add the milk and the fat separate, I'm guessing homogenization shouldn't be a huge problem here, so except for the sugar, we have a healthy version of chocolate.  all the other brands contain soy lecithin and hydrogenated fats in place of some of the cocoa butter.

they cost about $3 for 10 oz as compared to $1 for 16oz of the Walmart(Sam's) brand, but they are yummy and make a great substitute for a candybar when you get the hankering. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 09:09:19 AM »
Chocolate and I are dear friends.  I eat some every day.  If I travel I take it with me.  Yes I took it to the hospital when I was delivering my babies.  I take it on plane trips and road trips and always keep some in the house. 

I had a good friend who stopped smoking about 4 years ago.  He said he was donating the money he was saving from his 2 pack a day habit to the church building fund.  He said no matter how poor you are, if you're a smoker you always have money for cigarettes.  He said since I've never touched a cigarette, "You probably wouldn't understand," but I assured him that I feel the same way about chocolate. 

I have struggled with depression in the past, and chocolate releases within me pleasure endorphins.  It is cheaper and healthier than prozac or paxil and only has good sexual side effects  ;)

I am an admitted, bonafied chocoholic, and I have no problem with that.  I come from a long line of chocoholics.  My grandmother used to say, "I never met a chocolate I didn't like."  I (and Kati*did) prefer it as dark as possible, like 85% cocoa or more.  And I'd rather eat unsweetened bakers chocolate than a Hershey's kiss.  That's my opinion.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 09:31:59 AM »
  I (and Kati*did) prefer it as dark as possible, like 85% cocoa or more.  And I'd rather eat unsweetened bakers chocolate than a Hershey's kiss.  That's my opinion.

Count me in on that list! I've been known to nibble unsweetened chocolate. The funny thing is that it must truly be a physical  need, because I'll go for weeks without wanting chocolate at all, and then suddenly for 3 or 4 days, I crave it, and eat it like crazy - the darker the better. Unfortunately, if I eat a little every day, I get a migraine headache.

Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 09:33:22 AM »
I am an admitted, bonafied chocoholic, and I have no problem with that.  I come from a long line of chocoholics.  My grandmother used to say, "I never met a chocolate I didn't like."  I (and Kati*did) prefer it as dark as possible, like 85% cocoa or more.  And I'd rather eat unsweetened bakers chocolate than a Hershey's kiss.  That's my opinion.
I don't know what's in baker's chocolate, but I bet you'd love the dark chocolate chips I just mentioned.  ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline milmuth

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 09:42:27 AM »
I found a new chocolate chip that is healthier than your standard brands. 

Nestle Chocolatier now has Bittersweet and Dark chips that only contain:

cocoa, cocoa butter, milk fat, nonfat milk & sugar

since they add the milk and the fat separate, I'm guessing homogenization shouldn't be a huge problem here, so except for the sugar, we have a healthy version of chocolate.  all the other brands contain soy lecithin and hydrogenated fats in place of some of the cocoa butter.

they cost about $3 for 10 oz as compared to $1 for 16oz of the Walmart(Sam's) brand, but they are yummy and make a great substitute for a candybar when you get the hankering. 

I ditto that!  They ARE very good.  I made a large heart shaped PB cup for my dh with them for Valentine's and he loved it!  We don't like chocolate that tastes waxey, and many do, at least to us. Godiva has been the best we've found, but very pricey.  These were a very close second :)

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 09:47:12 AM »
I am definitely looking for those Nestle chips at the supermarket.  I've been eating Ghiradelli or Gitard semi-sweet.  My mom also bought me a block of 85% cocoa for valentines day.  My hubby's been out of town so I went through it a little faster than I normally would, what with it being 40 degrees and uber blustery outside and having 2 little boys inside...  :o

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 09:48:53 AM »
I am definitely looking for those Nestle chips at the supermarket.  I've been eating Ghiradelli or Gitard semi-sweet.  My mom also bought me a block of 85% cocoa for valentines day.  My hubby's been out of town so I went through it a little faster than I normally would, what with it being 40 degrees and uber blustery outside and having 2 little boys inside...  :o
I don' t remember for sure, but I thought Ghiradelli had soy lecithin in them and that's why I didn't get them.  I can't remember though.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 10:27:04 AM »
Soy lecithin aside, back when we used to go to Sam's Club, about two years ago, they sold a big five pound bag of Ghiradelli's chocolate chips for I think $6 or $7.    ;D ;D ;D

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2007, 10:47:20 AM »
Yes, I got my Ghiradelli in a 5 lb. bag from sam's club for around $6-$7.  Not a bad deal!!  It does have soy lecithin.  I cannot find many things that do not, though.   :P

Offline princesstea

• Learning
  • Howdy!
    • My FaithWriters Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 10:56:40 AM »
Chocolate and I are dear friends...I am an admitted, bonafied chocoholic, and I have no problem with that.

My sentiments to the "t"! Now if only my mom was OK with it...there's the whole cavaties issue with me...and I'm actually not to keen on Dark chocolate, which I know is better for you...semi-sweet and milky are yummer.  ;D And I like my chocolate to have peanut butter, or almonds and toffe bits, or mint with it!
Kaylee Bake

A face without freckles is like a sky without stars.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2007, 12:45:11 PM »
Yes, I got my Ghiradelli in a 5 lb. bag from sam's club for around $6-$7.  Not a bad deal!!  It does have soy lecithin.  I cannot find many things that do not, though.   :P
I know, that's exactly why I was excited to find the Nestle's. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2007, 12:47:58 PM »
If you're a chocoholic, read "The Fat Fallacy".  This book describes many of the same concepts in "Eat Fat Lose Fat", but his book is written about his observations living in France.  He actually recommends you eat chocolate after lunch and supper EVERY day.   ;D  He says to get the expensive stuff and only eat a small square and to let it dissolve - don't chew.  The fats in the chocolate (among other ingredients) help to satiate hunger between meals. 

Good book~
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2007, 01:21:01 PM »
Unfortunately, if I eat a little every day, I get a migraine headache.

Yeah, caffeine withdrawl.  I buy organic dark chocolate from my health food store and have it timed to eat every other day.  If I do eat it everyday, I get a headache, too. 

Green and Blacks chocolate makes a heavenly ginger chocolate.  It is dark and spicy.  Yeah, you won't like it, HB!!  :D
Check out this thread:
http://www.worldwidechocolate.com/

Okay, maybe that was a bad idea?!  ;D

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2007, 01:28:46 PM »
Just last night I got some of the dark chocolate chips HB mentioned.  :-* I am a dark chocolate fan too :D I used to eat bittersweet everyday, but as I have gotten healthier I only crave it periodically, especially during hormone shifts ::) Anyone like those Dark chocolate Dove Promises?

Offline 4my3rascals

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2007, 02:49:06 PM »
Anyone like those Dark chocolate Dove Promises?
Oh, yeah...just discovered those little goodies a few weeks ago in the checkout lane.  Just one more thing to resist while paying for my healthy groceries.

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2007, 02:49:20 PM »
In my opinion this is some of the best chocolate I've ever tasted. I actually worked here in highschool. I could eat all I wanted while working :o ::) Unfortunately they are really pricey so I don't eat it now that I'd have to buy it.
http://www.boehmscandies.com/catalog/

My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2007, 02:58:31 PM »
Sometimes I find that coffee satisfies my chocolate cravings. Of course they taste good together, too.  :-*

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2007, 03:54:52 PM »
OOOhhh, I almost forgot.  I also love Dagoba's organic lavender chocolate.  Mmmmm....gotta go find some, now!

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2007, 04:29:31 PM »
OOOhhh, I almost forgot.  I also love Dagoba's organic lavender chocolate.  Mmmmm....gotta go find some, now!

Did you say chocolate lavender? As in like the purple lavender plant?     :o

I love lavender and chocolate.  If lavender was to be put in chocolate somehow I think I would have  death by chocolate. Ill be sure to tell hubby thats what I want on the tombstone "DEATH BY CHOCOLATE"
muahahahaha

:P ;D :D ;)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2007, 04:47:59 PM »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2007, 05:05:12 PM »
I remembered another way to taste chocolate without eating all the sugar and bad fats. I mix up some peanut butter and honey, then add some cocoa powder. Of course the kids love it, too, and it adds antioxidants to their peanut butter sandwiches! Sometimes I make a big bowl of it and add wheat germ, raisins, maybe a FEW chocolate chips, etc, and then we make what we call "super duper mucho yummy peanut butter sandwiches" or something along those lines.

Also hot chocolate made from real cocoa is nice and chocolatey. I've also added cocoa powder to tea - like tasteless tea like alfalfa or something, and if you sweeten it with honey it's pretty good.

Offline Kati*did

• Master
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2007, 05:26:37 AM »
Chocolate and I are dear friends.  I eat some every day.  ... I (and Kati*did) prefer it as dark as possible, like 85% cocoa or more.  And I'd rather eat unsweetened bakers chocolate than a Hershey's kiss.  That's my opinion.

My absolute favorite bar that I've settled on is 85% from Lindt.  I know they aren't organic, but I haven't found an organic bar with that high of a percetage of cocoa.  Also, it only has 5 grams of sugar per 4 squares of the bar, so I only eat 1 or 2 squares a day, and it doesn't do a thing to my blood sugars!  Oh...and this Lindt bar doesn't use soy lecithin.

He actually recommends you eat chocolate after lunch and supper EVERY day.   Grin  He says to get the expensive stuff and only eat a small square and to let it dissolve - don't chew.  The fats in the chocolate (among other ingredients) help to satiate hunger between meals.

Yes!  I knew I was onto something.   ;D  Although I can take it or leave it -- I don't actually crave it -- I love to finish every lunch with 1 (sometimes 2) squares of chocolate.  I never crave desserts or sweets when I do this, either. 

Also, Shabby Chic...I wanted to tell you I love your pic -- so fun to see you!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 05:29:32 AM by Kati*did »
"...plain Kate, and bonny Kate, and sometimes Kate the curst..."

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2007, 06:34:57 AM »
There is a line of thinking that it is very unhealthy to get between a woman and her chocolate.  :o ;) :D
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2007, 06:40:39 AM »
There is a line of thinking that it is very unhealthy to get between a woman and her chocolate.  :o ;) :D
Yes.  Yes.  Hubby discovered this some time ago.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2007, 08:23:51 AM »
Unfortunately, if I eat a little every day, I get a migraine headache.

Green and Blacks chocolate makes a heavenly ginger chocolate.  It is dark and spicy.  Yeah, you won't like it, HB!!  :D
Check out this thread:
http://www.worldwidechocolate.com/

Okay, maybe that was a bad idea?!  ;D

Chocolove makes a wonderful dark chocolate bar with chrystalized ginger chuncks in it.  Very addictive.  I have to break off what I want and put the rest in the back of the car otherwise I'd eat the whole thing on my drive home.  They are also available on the worldwidechocolate website.