Author Topic: how to make your own hair shine?  (Read 15041 times)

Offline just jane

• Adept
how to make your own hair shine?
« on: March 07, 2008, 05:10:18 AM »
Does anybody out there make their own hair shine or a detangling spray that smells good too?

I have girls with long hair and would love some recipes.   Right now I have mixed in a small spray bottle, some water and about 2 tbsp. of coconut conditioner.
It works well, but is it good to let in their hair?

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
Re: how to make your own hair shine?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 06:36:20 AM »
Here is my recipe for "hair shine":
4 oz. of aloe juice
3 drops of lavender, sweet orange and rosemary essential oils
Put in a spray bottle and shake before using. It works great on my son's fine, blonde curls.
Here is a picture of his curls and all I use is this recipe.

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 06:41:47 AM »
4 oz. of aloe juice
Put in a spray bottle and shake before using. It works great on my son's fine, blonde curls.

i did almost exactly this a year or so ago, and all i could smell was the aloe.   :P  any ideas if i bought the wrong kind? it's GNC whole leaf aloe vera juice. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 06:48:40 AM »
I use the brand "George's". It is $25. a gallon but it has NO taste or smell. We love it and it works great. I've gotten the aloe juice from GNC and it does have a strong taste and smell. I'm a bit surprised that the oils didn't cover up most of the odor but I would "George's". We get it at the HFS. Hope that helps. :)

Offline MommyGus

• Mymanswoman
  • Adept
  • most of my kids
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 07:34:33 AM »
I get mine at Sam's, I don't remember how much it was, but not $25.00 :o, I smell Lavender, and it works well
4yo DD: "Mom can I have a cookie?"
MommyGus: (being silly) "Say 'You are the best mom in the whole world'"
4yo DD: (being very sweet) "I love you Mom...In the best world...I love you"

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 07:41:06 AM »
I get mine at Sam's, I don't remember how much it was, but not $25.00 :o, I smell Lavender, and it works well

Yeah, it is pricey but I know it works well for what ails ya!  ;) We buy this more for internal use but I use it for hair shine as well. I would by something cheaper that doesn't have a smell for hair shine. I can't believe Sam's has aloe juice, we haven't had a membership for awhile.  :(

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 08:04:11 AM »
I bought the cheap Fruit of the E@rth brand of aloe at Wally World and I don't really smell anything with it.  I don't use it internally, only for hair shine stuff.  My dd really likes peppermint, so that's the EO we use, along with Lavender.

Offline MommyGus

• Mymanswoman
  • Adept
  • most of my kids
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 08:12:46 AM »

Yeah, it is pricey but I know it works well for what ails ya!  ;) We buy this more for internal use but I use it for hair shine as well. I would by something cheaper that doesn't have a smell for hair shine. I can't believe Sam's has aloe juice, we haven't had a membership for awhile.  :(
Yea, I guess I would be willing to pay more if I were going to be drinking it.  :)  We just use it for hair shine
4yo DD: "Mom can I have a cookie?"
MommyGus: (being silly) "Say 'You are the best mom in the whole world'"
4yo DD: (being very sweet) "I love you Mom...In the best world...I love you"

Offline jaemom

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 08:38:10 AM »
I read the title to this thread and kept thinking..."as opposed to making someone else's shine?"   ::)  I didn't get it until I read the post.  :D
Wife to J (10 yrs)
Mom to B (9), G (7), G (2), and B (1)

Offline just jane

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 09:09:57 AM »
I read the title to this thread and kept thinking..."as opposed to making someone else's shine?"   ::)  I didn't get it until I read the post.  :D
As opposed to buying it  ;D   

Thanks for all your posts!   Aloe juice!  I would have never guessed it!!

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 08:24:04 AM »
Hi i made this and like it so far!! don't mind the aloe smell or lavender so works for me and my daughter's curlies!! i just wanted to know- does it need to be refrigerated? i usually put my aloe in the fridge so i don't know if this should be too. i guess wouldn't hurt since it felt wonderful being sprayed on my sunburn cold!!
4 oz. of aloe juice
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 09:50:44 AM by kittyninja »

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 08:52:54 AM »
Kittyninja, I don't refrigerate mine but my aloe juice doesn't require refrigeration. But, if you are going to use it for sunburn, it would feel good cool that is for sure. It won't hurt it. ;) Glad you like it for your curlies.

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 08:54:08 AM »
I made this and sprayed it on my hair when it was wet.  It didn't help me comb through it at all.   :'(  So I tried it when my hair was dry and it didn't work either.  It made my hair feel super dry and frizzy.  Anyone else have this issue?  I'm sure I'm not doing something right, I really want this to work!  :D ;)

abbiliynn
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 09:41:15 AM »
That seems odd. I use it on my hair wet and dry and I don't have that problem. The same with my son. What kind of aloe juice are you using? That is the only thing I can think of that would cause a problem.

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 09:51:06 AM »
CORRECTION i didn't word write. I have no curlies- stick straight ::)!! my daughter does though however!! :D
Kittyninja, I don't refrigerate mine but my aloe juice doesn't require refrigeration. But, if you are going to use it for sunburn, it would feel good cool that is for sure. It won't hurt it. ;) Glad you like it for your curlies.

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 08:32:20 AM »
ok my bottle says it does require refridgeration. hmmmm i wonder why it's diff? ok i'll check out the aloe thread...if we have one!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 06:52:34 AM »
I put some aloe and water with and few drops of lavender EO in a spay bottle. I can't really tell that it make my hair shiny, but it makes stay back without making it greasy or stiff. I read on one of these threads it was good for acne too, so I spay some on my face while I'm combing my hair.Its helped a ton. Thats what I have to say about it! ;D
do you have measurements you can share?  you can't post a remedy without a recipe, lest the other members come after you.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 08:52:32 AM »
I put some aloe and water with and few drops of lavender EO in a spay bottle. I can't really tell that it make my hair shiny, but it makes stay back without making it greasy or stiff. I read on one of these threads it was good for acne too, so I spay some on my face while I'm combing my hair.Its helped a ton. Thats what I have to say about it! ;D
do you have measurements you can share?  you can't post a remedy without a recipe, lest the other members come after you.  ;D
Well...umm...uh...I don't really measure unless I'm cooking or going by a recipe. I just kinda dump some of this and dump some of that. Bad habit ;). Actually I probably did half water-half aloe vera, and a couple drops of lavender, if that helps clarify.  ;D
aloe vera juice or gel? oh and how large (1 cup, 1 quart, etc?) was 1/2 for your couple of drops of lavender? 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2008, 03:59:50 AM »
I make my hair shine with aloe juice...

4 oz aloe juice
8-10 drops each lavender, rosemary and orange EOs

That's it.  We love it.  Works great on tangles in my little one's hair.  (Mine too ;D)
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3