Author Topic: Ergo Infant Insert  (Read 21170 times)

Offline mamatomany

• Adept
Ergo Infant Insert
« on: February 27, 2008, 07:43:14 AM »
Does anyone own one of these, and can you tell me if it would be hard to sew one?  I was looking at the price and it seems that it would be more economical to whip one up?  Does anyone know of a pattern ofr something similar maybe?

YoopreMama

Re: Ergo Infant Insert
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 07:44:27 AM »
On the favorite baby carrier thread someone mentioned using a folded up towel, I think.

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 07:54:18 AM »
You can just take a blanket, thicker than a receiving blanket, lay the baby in the middle of it, wrap kind of what a taco would look like, and put the baby in the front position of the carrier with their feet dangling to one side. The baby is in their kind of diagonal, if that makes sense. My SIL did this and I believe I read that mexmarr did that as well. Maybe someone else can explain it better.  :-[

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 08:01:04 AM »
I saw mt name, lol.

Actually, I used the Infant Insert.  I sold it when I moved, and then got pregnant right away, lol.   I kept my Ergo and with this new baby, I will probably use the carrier w/o the insert.  If you have the money, it is definately nice and convenient.  I was very happy with it.  But, I don't see why you can't make something else work.   Just experiment until you find what works for you.

Maybe someone else who has done this will pop in and tell us.  ;)

YoopreMama

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 02:24:13 PM »
Anyone using this w/ a newborn feel like in some positions, the baby's chin rests on their neck so that when they breathe, they make lots of noise b/c their breath is going over their vocal cords?  ???  Does that make sense?  I'm trying to maneuver my little guy in here, and sometimes I get it right...other times...??? 

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 03:03:53 PM »
Yooper, I have this trouble too.

I love my ergo, but have not ever felt like I could get the real little ones in there right.  I do not like that feeling like they are pinching off their air supply with the chin down on the chest either.

I do not have the infant insert and have only tried to use a blanket.  Maybe that's my problem?

Anyway, I don't have any help only to say I know what you mean.  I am saving the ergo for when ds can hold his little noggin up better.

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 03:51:53 PM »
I used a blanket folded up about the same size as the insert. I watched the online video of how to use the insert & just fixed the blanket the same way. I only had to use that for such a short time, it was worth it to me to not buy the insert. By a couple of months old, I was carrying the baby in the regular front carry position. I didn't think she looked comfy, but I guess she was since she slept for 2 hours while walking around at a huge street festival. I guess babies that new are used to it!

Here is where I found the video:
http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/support/instructions

YoopreMama

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 03:41:51 AM »
Thanks for the "commiseration", Gigi.  ;)  After rereading sunshine's post:

...The baby is in there kind of diagonally...

I'm trying to get him more reclined in that diagonal position...w/ the feet to one side.  He sure is content in it.  8)

Mommyoftwins--thanks for the link! 

Offline mamaincolorado

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 06:55:15 AM »
mommyoftwins- thanks for that link, i think i get it now! the only thing the video left out was how to get a fussy, squirming, arms and legs everywhere baby in there! if my baby was peacefully asleep i might not need the carrier! ;)

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 07:36:04 AM »
yeah, most of the babies in those videos are pretty happy.  :)

Offline mamaincolorado

• Learning
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 02:00:04 PM »
I used the diagonal position and my baby seemed to really like it! And I was really surprised how comfy it was! I have always used the new native style sling for the newborn stage but after awhile my one shoulder starts to ache. In the ergo the weight is not all on one side. So a question for you all who use this for newborns.... how much do you carry your babies around? I will admit I don't really like to carry mine when doing stuff around the house- I always feel like I am bumping their heads and squishing them! But my sweet little fusser doesn't sleep well at naptime--- so do some of you carry them all through naps and just most of the day? Just trying to figure out how to be a mom for the third time around!

YoopreMama

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 02:54:17 PM »
I used the diagonal position and my baby seemed to really like it! And I was really surprised how comfy it was! I have always used the new native style sling for the newborn stage but after awhile my one shoulder starts to ache. In the ergo the weight is not all on one side. So a question for you all who use this for newborns.... how much do you carry your babies around? I will admit I don't really like to carry mine when doing stuff around the house- I always feel like I am bumping their heads and squishing them! But my sweet little fusser doesn't sleep well at naptime--- so do some of you carry them all through naps and just most of the day? Just trying to figure out how to be a mom for the third time around!
It IS much more comfortable, I agree than my sling/pouch, which DOES pull on my shoulder eventually...the weight is certainly more evenly distributed.

My baby is 3 weeks old and he's just started going in the Ergo w/i the last week--I give him 1/2 hour to 45 minutes in it (he falls asleep w/i 10 minutes) and then transfer him to the couch/recliner (reclined upright) when he's in a deeper sleep.  Sometimes he stays sleeping, sometimes not.  I do this once in the AM and once in the afternoon and once in the evening.

If he's fussy, he settles in it pretty quickly, IF he's fed and in a dry diaper.  It keeps him burping, too--which is why I think babies in other cultures have less crying b/c they're worn more...gets all those air bubbles out.  ;)

Off to get him strapped on!   ;D

Offline mamaincolorado

• Learning
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 04:13:54 PM »
It keeps him burping, too--which is why I think babies in other cultures have less crying b/c they're worn more...gets all those air bubbles out.  ;)

Off to get him strapped on!   ;D
[/quote]

Hmmm.... that's an advantage I hadn't thought of! My baby seems to burp right away but then has more burps later that I think do wake him up. It seems like a good idea to carry him till all those burpies are out.  :D
Do you think you will eventually start laying him down instead of "wearing him down" in the ergo? I guess I've got one foot in the babywise method and one in the attachment parenting... :-\ This unpredictable newborn stage is hard for me!

YoopreMama

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 04:39:18 PM »
Good question, mamaincolorado.   :)

We did Babywise w/ #1, ~9 years ago...the routine is helpful...wake, eat, play, sleep (I think), but that's about all we use from the book...and we've moved more toward AP, too.

I'm not sure what I'll do...I guess I'm waiting to see what kind of pattern we fall into for sleep...I don't want to nurse to sleep...that seems to produce gas/burps w/ my babies.  Wearing them works, but I won't always do that...I suspect I'll work on putting him down when he's tired eventually...maybe around 6 weeks?   ???  That may be for another thread, though.  ;)

I do keep him snuggled in the insert when I take him out, and that does help to keep him sleeping.  :)

Offline Becky Jane Designs

• Learning
    • Becky Jane Designs
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 05:29:59 PM »
You know, I can to WTM tonight just browsing, so it is kinda funny I came across this.  My little one is now 10 weeks and I struggled with all of the things you are talking about!  I received the ERGO for a gift and decided not to splurge for the infant insert.  I tried the blanket one time and he slept well, but he just didn't look that comfy to me.  I think he was about 2 weeks.  When he was about 4 weeks I tried it again with him to the side, but his legs always seemed squished together and he didn't seem to settle in, so I went back to the ring sling ( with him pulled up against me, facing me) until this week when I started wearing him in the ERGO facing me.  He seems much more comfortable that way, and I like it better.  He still brings his legs up kinda froggy style.  Cute.

I only end up wearing him around the house when I am trying to make dinner!  The rest of the day I can recognize when he is getting ready to nap and just lay him down.  I have never been able to listen to the pediatricians advice to lay them on their backs, mine are always on their bellies.  Oh well.

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 04:11:47 AM »
How old or how big have your babies been when they tolerated the ergo?  My 3 1/2 month old loves the sling (I have a sling ezee) but she HATES the ergo.  I'm not sure why.  She's a hoss; she weighs over 17 lbs and is 25" long.   :o 

And is there a way to make the straps narrower across the shoulders?  I've watched every video on their site, but I have narrow shoulders, and the chest strap still has them sitting on the edge of my shoulders.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline mamaincolorado

• Learning
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 04:16:09 AM »
How old or how big have your babies been when they tolerated the ergo? 

The only other baby I have used it with was my 14 month old who probably was about the same size as your 3 month old! He liked it a lot, but I used the side carry position which she is probably not big enough for. Is she on your front facing you? My children have never really liked that position in any carrier.

Offline ShabbyChic

• Master
  • Wife, mom, motorcycle enthusiast, and chocoholic.
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 05:10:26 AM »
Yeah, she's been on my back straddled, and her legs weren't big enough so that lasted about a minute.  When I tried her diagonally on the front, or front facing she didn't like that either. 

My first son was 100% sling.  My second son was 100% Bjorn (which I borrowed and returned to a friend) because of his neck condition.  The Bjorn actually helped him strengthen his neck muscles, whereas the sling catered to his injury and comfort position.  Still, he liked to face outward and not toward me. 

Now my daughter likes to be in the sling, facing me, but she has a great range of motion and can look all around.  But my husband doesn't like to wear the sling, and I was hoping to get her into the ergo so we can do some hiking with HIM carrying her instead of me the whole time.  Not that I'm complaining, I'd just like to run and jump with my 2 and 3 1/2 year old some.
That's Shabby SHEIK not Shabby CHICK.  Hee-hee.

Offline Mrs. Dugger

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 12:08:30 PM »

I used the Ergo with my 3rd born baby from the time she was 3 days old until currently.  I can't get ANYTHING done around the house without it, lol.  She usually spends 4 or 5 hours a day in it.  Now that she is 10 months old, she is on my back, which makes chores easier.  She is a very snuggly baby, and I'm not sure if it's because she's been carried so close to me for so long, or if I am able to carry her so long because she's so snuggly... if that makes sense... :)  She will gladly nap in the Ergo, if the other kids are too noisy for her to take a decent nap in her crib.  Now that she is on my back, she has a little more room to play with toys while she's in the carrier. 

About the infant insert, I also used a rolled blanket.  You can use it like a "taco" to keep their heads upright.  The only issue I had with a newborn in it was that her leg circulation would sometimes get cut off if she stretched her legs out the side and they dangled over the bottom edge of the carrier.  I really had to watch that. 

Offline firecattx

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2008, 09:39:55 AM »
Do I HAVE to use the insert with my 10 week, 15lb baby? I know they say it's good until 4 months but he just doesn't fit. I wondered if I could carry him using the front carry and use the sleeping hood for head support? Do you think the front carry would be okay for his legs/spine??

Offline mommyoftwins

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2008, 03:50:44 AM »
By 15 lbs, I had already been using the front carry for a while. (DD was 9-10 when born). I don't know about the age, but here is what Ergo has to say about this:

I have a 3-month old, 15 lb. son. He has excellent head control for his age, but not so well when he's tired. Do I need the infant insert?
Because your son is right on the cusp of needing the infant insert, it is probably not worth buying for only a month’s use. Try putting your son in the carrier and let him tell you whether it works for him or not. There are several ways of placing him in the carrier on the front without the infant insert. One way to carry him would be with both legs off to one side and his bottom still located in the center of the carrier. The other way, having one leg/foot tucked up in the carrier cross legged style and the other leg dangling down on the other side. Continue to try it every once in a while until he seems content sitting in the carrier.

Offline Mrs. Dugger

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2008, 10:31:22 AM »
Do I HAVE to use the insert with my 10 week, 15lb baby? I know they say it's good until 4 months but he just doesn't fit. I wondered if I could carry him using the front carry and use the sleeping hood for head support? Do you think the front carry would be okay for his legs/spine??

are you sure the baby is all the way down in the carrier when you put him in?  I don't think his head should be able to be completely above the top edge of the carrier when he is that small.  I know my husband has trouble getting the babies seated all the way in the very bottom of it.  I have a 25-lb 10-month-old and her head still does not come completely out of the top of carrier.  So I don't think you would need anything for head support.  In my experience, the ergo holds babies a lot snugger than other carriers.  As far as the front carry with legs straddling, it would kind of depend on the baby's legs and your torso, but I think he may be too little for that.  I was able to keep my (big) baby sitting sideways for quite a few months.  She was REALLY cozy. 

Offline firecattx

• Adept
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2008, 02:50:40 PM »
My 10 week old is VERY gassy and prefers to remain upright. I'm sure if I really scrunched I could make him fit to the side but..... since he prefers being upright I just thought maybe I could switch to the front carry. I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't hurt his legs/spine at his age.

Offline mamaincolorado

• Learning
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 08:53:09 AM »
I am wondering if anyone else has tried the ergo with an infant on their backs... now, I am not recommending this as the instructions don't say to wear an infant on your back until about 5 months. But I have tried my 6 week old on my back, with a thick blanket and he loves it. And I love it! On my back is so much easier than the front for doing things around the house. Only problem is someone needs to put him in there for me. Oh, and I just have his legs froggy style- but he is snug against me, so he's not really putting all his weight on his spine. This position kind of reminds me of a papoose.... has anyone else tried this with a little baby? You can also use the sleeping hood as more head support on the back... although with the blanket my little guy is snug and secure without the bobble head effect.

YoopreMama

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2008, 02:29:23 PM »
Never tried it.  Is it still working?  :)  Reminds me of the Native American women w/ their cradleboards...I can't wait to get my guy on my back (in our backpack, probably)! 

We're probably moving out of using the insert...he's at least 14 pounds (3 months old)...I try and fit him against me in a comfy position...legs to the side and then use the Ergo to hold him in place.  That's a new approach for me...instead of trying to mimic the video people, holding him in place against my chest, and then making it work for us and our body types.

Offline purewellspring

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2008, 11:16:46 AM »
This doesn't have to do with the insert so much as the inFANT ;) ;D...but I need some help! (If this needs to be on the general carrier thread, redirect me!) I just started using the Ergo with my 4 month old this week because she's too heavy for me in the Moby hug hold (which is her favorite). I may just have a weak back or something, but the baby-wearing thing is getting tough! Well, the Ergo is way more comfortable and I can wear her for sometimes up to 2 hours at a time. But I just noticed yesterday that it's chafing her legs, on her calf right under her knee. Anybody else have a problem with this? I really want to keep using the Ergo because otherwise I just don't wear her nearly as much (I can't figure out my Maya in a way that is comfortable for more than 20 minutes, and she no longer fits in my pouch sling!), but I certainly don't want to end up with blisters on her legs! Any ideas?

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2008, 02:02:36 PM »
You could try alternating carriers and see if this helps.  There are several different carrying positions with a sling...I still carry my 9 month old on my hip with my sling (her legs stick out the bottom, and she sits in it like a seat on my hip.)  You could also try putting long pants on her in the mean time while the chafing heals up.  :-\
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.