Author Topic: Food Art: Fun Recipe Ideas for Kids  (Read 9764 times)

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
  • one insignificant particle, combined
Food Art: Fun Recipe Ideas for Kids
« on: February 26, 2008, 06:28:45 AM »
Just popping in here to share a fun family tradition of ours...

Have any of you ever made "owls" with your kids? My mom taught it to us as an easy lunch, and we were always begging to do it again:

You first spread a piece of bread with butter. Then you slice a hard boiled egg the long way. You cut long triangles of cheese , and then assemble your "owl": Eggs for eyes, cheese for beaks. Yum!

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
Re: Food Art: Fun Recipe Ideas for Kids
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 07:57:12 AM »

Have any of you ever made "owls" with your kids? My mom taught it to us as an easy lunch, and we were always begging to do it again:

You first spread a piece of bread with butter. Then you slice a hard boiled egg the long way. You cut long triangles of cheese , and then assemble your "owl": Eggs for eyes, cheese for beaks. Yum!

Sounds yummy, I have been learning that the Amish believe owls are a harbinger of death.  I saw a dead one in 87 and three live ones yesterday!  I hope no one dies cause I don't want to become superstitious ::) ;D.

Ok, what about trying "ants on a log"? Stuff peanut butter into celery sticks and "ant" with raisens...or cream cheese and peanuts...or edible cookie dough and chocolate pieces, or cheese spread and piminto pieces for fire ants...

If that gives you "ants in your pants", would you like me to give you my mom's  alligator idea?  ;D

Offline all2Jesus

• Wait on the Lord, be of good courage!
  • Adept
  • My guys.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 07:59:29 AM »
yes, Naturalgirl. These are fun ideas.
<><  respecting Mike for 15 yrs, Momma to Noah 6 1/2 yrs. and Titus 2 yrs .
http://allthedaysofmylife-ohhollyf.blogspot.com/

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 10:00:30 AM »
   Get peanut butter, almond slivers or sunflower seeds, carrots and raisins out. Carefully peel the carrot. With a knife, cut a large V into the top (bigger) part of the carrot, where the leaves used to come out. That will be the alligator's mouth. Optional: put a sort of stair-step spine on its back with the knife.Then let the kids put peanut butter in the mouth and fill it with "teeth", the almond slivers or sunflower seeds. Next, paste some eyes on with more peanut butter and raisins. Lastly put legs on with raisins and more peanut butter.

Have a wash cloth ready--this is a mess kids will love :D

Hmm...would lettuce be a great slimy lake for these "things" to live in until eaten, or is that going overboard? Never tried it...

Here's another one we used to make for dessert:

Elephant ears : Make your favorite cinnamon roll recipe. Cut out rolls. Flatten into a pancake and bake like a cookie. Works wonderfully on a biscuit-type cinnamon roll recipe.

I'd love to make a mouse with something, but have no idea how that would work. Any ideas?

So much for telling the children not to play with their food! Maybe I haven't grown up yet.  ;D

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 10:19:21 AM »

I'd love to make a mouse with something, but have no idea how that would work. Any ideas?

I've seen a mouse made out of a nice little red radish with the root "tail" left on.  Just cut a small slice off the side of the radish so that it has a base to "sit" on.  I think there were carrot slices set in notches for "ears"   . . .  not sure about the rest . . .

Offline ShannaC

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 12:20:01 PM »
I've also seen a mouse out of a strawberry. Cut slits to put in some seed/nut for the ears, a little skinny licorice tail. Can't remember the rest.

www.familyfun.com might have some good ideas. I know there are lots of other websites for these ideas too...preschool sites would have ideas.

Shanna

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 01:21:51 PM »

I've seen a mouse made out of a nice little red radish with the root "tail" left on.  Just cut a small slice off the side of the radish so that it has a base to "sit" on.  I think there were carrot slices set in notches for "ears"   . . .  not sure about the rest . . .
Are you wanting a healthy mouse?  At christmas we make mice.   Oreos, hershey kisses, marichino(Iknow that is spelled wrong but don't feel like thinking. :))cherries with the stem, melted chocolate, sliced almonds and decorating gel.  black for nose and red for eyes.  The oreo cream part the cookies is the base(snow you know) then dip the cherry in melted chocolate stick in on the flat part of the kiss.  then use sliced almonds for the ears and make the eyes and nose.  Hope that makes sense.......

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 03:05:36 PM »

I've never done owls, but an easy breakfast I do sometimes is this:
use a round cutter and cut out a circle from a buttered slice of bread.  Put the bread in a skillet, a little butter in the hole, then crack an egg into the hole, cook, etc..  Toast the cut-out circle and use that for dipping in the yolk of the egg (if you like it soft).  Voila!  Egg-in-a-nest. 
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 02:43:01 PM »
Carrot flowers:

Cut "triangles" around sliced carrots. Put on "stem" toothpicks. Paint mustard in the middle for the center of flower...or some kind of condiment. I wonder if broccoli leaves might be "weaved" on for leaves?

Offline jenibee

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 07:45:42 AM »
This isn't to eat, but it sure is fun!

Face Paint

corn starch
water
cold cream
food coloring
muffin tin

In each cup of the muffin tin, mix 1 t cornstarch, 1/2 t water, 1/2 t cold cream and a couple of drops of food coloring - a different color for each cup.  Stir.

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 08:36:06 AM »
Now that's a neat way to have several small colors at once to work with. Great idea!

This isn't to eat, but it sure is fun!

Face Paint

corn starch
water
cold cream
food coloring
muffin tin

In each cup of the muffin tin, mix 1 t cornstarch, 1/2 t water, 1/2 t cold cream and a couple of drops of food coloring - a different color for each cup.  Stir.

Offline naturalgirl

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 08:55:49 AM »
   Check this out! If you have teens as well as little ones, they can "play along" too with food art creations. Just look for yourself  8)

http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/Catherine-food.htm

Or, if you are feeling artful (or just want to see some amaizing art food...):

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,23513038-5014324,00.html

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/large-gallery/0,25537,5030889-5013959-4,00.html

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/large-gallery/0,25537,5030889-5013959-5,00.html
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 09:09:46 AM by naturalgirl »