Author Topic: Atrial Tachycardia (prolonged rapid heartbeat)  (Read 72635 times)

Offline fairwinds

• Learning
Re: Atrial Tachycardia (prolonged rapid heartbeat)
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2008, 09:57:22 PM »
When you fell nauseated or maybe like you need to use the restroom, it is just your body trying to help itself. sometimes straining to have a bm will correct heart rate

This is true.  I sometimes experience this too and a friend of mine who has this heart problem real bad, told me to plug your nose with your fingers and push down like you are having a bowel movement and this will restart your heart. It has done it for me every time. I only get this rapid heart rate I notice when I have had too much coffee and no food in my stomach and if I am experiencing stress at the moment!

Offline faith

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2008, 03:37:21 AM »
Fairwind!
Thanks I am going to try this. Just bearing down never worked for me. And it beats sticking my finger down my throat.
Does it work right away??? That would be so wonderful.

As for blood clots with the wpw syndrome..... can't taking Cayenne pepper help with that?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2008, 02:25:17 PM »
From "Prescription for Nutritional Healing":

Potassium / Raw Potato Juice
1 lb. potatoes
1 carrot or 1 stalk celery
6-8 oz. distilled water

1.Scrub potatoes well and cut out any eyes. Do not use potatoes that are part green.
2. Cut each potato in half. Cut the peel from the potato, making sure to keep about 1/2 inch of potato on the peel. Set aside the potato center for another use.
3. Cut the potato skins into small enough pieces to fit into the juicer. If desired, wash the carrot or celery, peeling the carrot if it was not grown organically. Cut into pieces.
4. Process the vegetables in the juicer. Add the water and drink immediately. Do not allow to stand.
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

-Ezekiel 43:2

cecac

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2008, 09:05:17 AM »
I am wondering if I need to be concerned about this.

I have to keep an eye on my BP, so I take it 4x per day.  I rarely see a heart rate reading under the 80's, and today they are all in the 90's, almost to 100. :P  My BP is doing fine.  I don't feel very well at all, though.

Symptoms:  Inability in social situations (usually adrenals for me, but I'm on Isoscort, that shouldn't be a problem now)
                 When I lift my arms to do anything, there is muscle weekness, to the point of pain.
                  Out of breath sometimes, several times per day
                  My head hurts, low level.
                   I am hot a lot, and breaking out in sweats easily.

I am 27 weeks pregnant.  I take Calcium Lactate and one Magnesium capsule at night (150 mg).  I've tried a banana-blueberry-raw milk smoothie a couple of times after reading this thread.  It makes me a bit ill.  I guess I'll go for the potassium pills, unless this isn't a potassium deficiency. 

Can you overdose on potassium?  Oh, and one other questions.  Likemanywaters is saying we get Vitamin D from raw cow milk.  Really?  So I don't need to worry about that one in this mix?  I guess I was under the impression that the Vit D was added to other milks because raw doesn't have it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 09:08:58 AM by cecac »

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2008, 09:24:18 AM »
I think Vitamin D is added to pasteurized milk because pasteurization removes it.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2008, 09:27:34 AM »
Can you overdose on potassium? 
Yes.  If I remember correctly an overdose of potassium will mirror a definciency - rapid heart rate- and even cause a heart attack.
  My favorite herb book!!

cecac

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2008, 09:43:34 AM »
Yes.  If I remember correctly an overdose of potassium will mirror a definciency - rapid heart rate- and even cause a heart attack.

OH MY GOODNESS.  :o :o  I think I'll stick to bananas here, for a bit.  I really, really don't need more heart palps, HBP, rapid heartrate, etc, on top of what I've already tried to combat in this preggars.  I'll up it to two bananas, and see.

Thanks Whiterock.  That actually really relieves my mind tremendously, not just for me but for my kiddos.  I've worried about that one. And since it was spoken of here, I thought, here I go again, another deficiency.

Ladies, thank you so much. 
Cara

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2008, 09:43:57 AM »
I think Vitamin D is added to pasteurized milk because pasteurization removes it.

WR

I thought it was added because the cows don't get the grass and sunshine that regular cows used to get which gives the milk a lower D count.  I was pretty sure I read that in "Eat Fat Lose Fat".

So if you get raw milk from a grass fed cow, you should in theory get more vitamin D naturally from your milk.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2008, 09:48:09 AM »

OH MY GOODNESS.  :o :o  I think I'll stick to bananas here, for a bit.  I really, really don't need more heart palps, HBP, rapid heartrate, etc, on top of what I've already tried to combat in this preggars.  I'll up it to two bananas, and see.

Thanks Whiterock.  That actually really relieves my mind tremendously, not just for me but for my kiddos.  I've worried about that one. And since it was spoken of here, I thought, here I go again, another deficiency.

Cara

Excessive intake

* Intoxication with salt-substitute, potassium-containing dietary supplements, or potassium chloride (KCl) infusion. Note that for a person with normal kidney function and nothing interfering with normal elimination (see above), hyperkalemia by potassium intoxication would be seen only with large infusions of KCl or massive doses of oral KCl supplements.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperkalemia
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2008, 09:53:34 AM »

WR

I thought it was added because the cows don't get the grass and sunshine that regular cows used to get which gives the milk a lower D count.  I was pretty sure I read that in "Eat Fat Lose Fat".

So if you get raw milk from a grass fed cow, you should in theory get more vitamin D naturally from your milk.

Oh! That's right. It's vitamin A that's destroyed by pasteurization, not vit D.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

cecac

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2008, 10:20:00 AM »

Cara

Excessive intake

* Intoxication with salt-substitute, potassium-containing dietary supplements, or potassium chloride (KCl) infusion. Note that for a person with normal kidney function and nothing interfering with normal elimination (see above), hyperkalemia by potassium intoxication would be seen only with large infusions of KCl or massive doses of oral KCl supplements.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperkalemia

Well, hmmm, then, I guess I'd need to see whether my supplements have any potassium in them.  And also, I just don't know how much calcium would be too much.  I take a lot plus drink raw milk.  I had achy legs after my bout of sickness, so I guessed my calcium was low.  I might be depleting my potassium with too much calcium.

Maybe I need to try a dose or two of potassium, cut down on the calcium, and keep the magnesium where it is.  Or, I could down two bananas a day. :P  Not my favorite food, and they can give me a sugar swing.

Wow--we get vitamin A too with that grass fed cow milk?  I need to read more.  This is getting better and better.

I'll report in if I can see any changes with some of this.  My elevated heart rate has been there for a while, so I dunno, maybe it'd go away if I get this straight.

Thank you!!

burlsgirl

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2008, 10:43:03 AM »
Glad to see this topic brought up. Just this morning my grandmother was put on a monitor for a few days for this very thing. She did this lots in her younger years, and it's just now coming on again. She swears that before, it was when they had her taking estrogen. She stopped taking it, and said the heart racing all but stopped.

I started to have these arythmias when I was pregnant. I still have them, but to a lesser degree. Along with rapid, irregular heart beat, I will have some of the symptoms cecac described, like muscle weakness. And of course, shortness of breath, almost like when exercising, with the least bit of activity. Occasional dizziness, faintness, or a feeling of being "shaky".

I've noticed that my symptoms are almost always after a meal and/or at the end of the day. Also, Diet Pepsi and chocolate both really aggravate it, but coffee doesn't seem to bother. Wonder why?

I've been EKG'd several times, and once had an episode of my left arm going numb, so they did the whole stress test w/ dye, cat scan, MRI, the whole works. Nothing. I guess that's a good thing! My doc does seem to think I have some esophageal issues.

Lately, Magnesium deficiency comes up everywhere I turn! I'm wondering if I shouldn't try the Bone Ami from Beeyoutiful. I even had it in my shopping cart the other day, then had to leave the computer & have never gotten back over there!

Maybe Bone Ami & a banana will do the trick for me!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 11:07:43 AM by burlsgirl »

Offline likemanywaters

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2008, 12:54:35 PM »
About the Estrogen, I remembered, I have a friend who, while she was taking birth control (a low dose one) that she started having heart issues, I think rapid heart beat. When she stopped taking it, it stopped. I know with pregnancy, you have hormonal swings. So, kind of related?
And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory.

-Ezekiel 43:2

cecac

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2008, 01:31:25 PM »
I'm also wondering about a connection with insulin.  Burlsgirl mentions noticing problems with rapid heartbeat after food.  I've noticed some of my symptoms do the same, they are worse after eating.  Might there be a blood sugar connection?

I've thought about estrogen also, because I am hot a lot now and that can be an estrogen situation, just I'm not sure that'd be with pregnancy. :-\ 

We didn't manage to get potassium today.  I think I'll try banana tonight and tomorrow.  When I took a nap, I got up and my heart rate was in the 80s instead of 90s.  I do feel better, but I'm tired since it was up until after lunch.  Maybe a banana tonight will give me something to go on in the morning.

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2008, 05:57:34 PM »
Um, I know brought this up before but hiatal hernia can cause this. And if it is happening after you eat, then I would look into that.

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline hedy

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2008, 06:42:25 PM »
Um, I know brought this up before but hiatal hernia can cause this. And if it is happening after you eat, then I would look into that.

WR

Yup, my hubby has a hiatal hernia which gives him PVC's (arrhythmia) after he eats.

cecac

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2008, 09:47:17 AM »

WR

I dunno what's happening, but maybe I'm having a problem here?  The banana last night was NO help--heartrate in the 80s all night, but I dunno if this is even in the correct thread because as I've been reading, this thread is more about episodes of 100s as far as heart rate.  I'm feeling really weird.  I got ahold of some potassium, though, so I've taken 99 mg at lunch.  I took some Emergen-C with breakfast (for electrolytes and potassium) too.

Now I'm nauseated (like with the banana a few times  :-X) and thirsty all the time.  I am drinking water. I am staying down because I feel sick and when I do too much the heartrate goes to the 90s and I'm grabbing counters to breathe :P.

Any ideas here?  Am I barking up the wrong tree?  I've been struggling with this for about two weeks now. :-\

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2008, 12:17:42 PM »

WR

I dunno what's happening, but maybe I'm having a problem here?  The banana last night was NO help--heartrate in the 80s all night, but I dunno if this is even in the correct thread because as I've been reading, this thread is more about episodes of 100s as far as heart rate.  I'm feeling really weird.  I got ahold of some potassium, though, so I've taken 99 mg at lunch.  I took some Emergen-C with breakfast (for electrolytes and potassium) too.

Now I'm nauseated (like with the banana a few times  :-X) and thirsty all the time.  I am drinking water. I am staying down because I feel sick and when I do too much the heartrate goes to the 90s and I'm grabbing counters to breathe :P.

Any ideas here?  Am I barking up the wrong tree?  I've been struggling with this for about two weeks now. :-\

I know this might be totally off but have you considered diabetes?
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

cecac

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2008, 12:35:33 PM »

WR

I know this might be totally off but have you considered diabetes?

Thank you.  I had the GD test last week.  I thought about calling the doctor's office, so I think I will after you asked that. 

Oh my, Sorry HB, I think I should have moved this to Diagnose me, please.

Offline hollyolly123

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2008, 06:37:54 PM »
Hey y'all, I have lots of personal experience with this.  I've gone into seizures twice in my sleep from my brain being deprived of oxygen, because of Atrial tachycardia.  I've been to the hospital twice and had to get that heart- grabbing medicine in the ambulance (I forget what it is- but it feels probably like what a bad lsd trip feels like- being sucked into the bed and dying and then popping back out again :P).

Most of the time it's not that dramatic though.  Here's what works for me in the midst of it: nursing a baby :D, lying on my right side and coughing hard, sometimes repeatedly (left side doesn't work).  Cayanne capsules are AWESOME.  Take one today even if your having mild issues with it.  No, especially if you are.

I've learned these are my rules- No sugar or caffine if I'm having trouble with it.  I'm talking months, not hours.  Lots of good fats (butter, other animal fats, coconut oil, cod liver oil.  Protein.  Blood sugar swings make it worse, but it's not the whole issue.

No stressig out or being fearful.  I have to operate in slow motion in my heart- make sure to be extra sweet and calm and loving.  These things will very often bring on a bad attack.  No bitterness or anger either.  I highly reccomend Biblical Foundations of Freedom by Art Matthias. Check out the website if you are interested-  and his book about the endocrine system.  Forget what it's called.

I've had years of experience with it.  In my opinion, it is resolvable, but it's not as simple as this vitamin or that nutrient.  I am quite sure that, although perhapse more susceptible due to genetics or nutritional deficiencies, I nearly destroyed my heart (and whole endocrine system- thus throwing my hormones out of whack along with the rest of my body) with fear, bitterness, and anger.  This started early in my childhood, and I spent years upon years actively being filled with hate and fear.  Seriously, take a good look at your thoughts.  Start taking all of them captive, if you know what I mean. 

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2008, 06:43:41 PM »
  I've been to the hospital twice and had to get that heart- grabbing medicine in the ambulance (I forget what it is- but it feels probably like what a bad lsd trip feels like- being sucked into the bed and dying and then popping back out again :P).
Adenosine??  It stops the heart for about 6-9 seconds with the hopes that it will return to its baseline or slow enough so the underlying rhythm can be determined. 
It's actually quite scary... even just to give and watch the reaction..

Offline hollyolly123

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2008, 06:56:24 PM »
Yep, that's it.  Feels scarier than it looks- trust me.  The first time I had it I was a fairly new Chrsitian, and I was sure I was dying.  I was looking foreward to seeing the Lord, really!  And then I "popped back out of the bed" after being sucked into it (ok, I know that didn't really happen, but it felt real).  Instead of heavenly choirs surrounding the throne, I saw the scraggly but dear paramedic who was just telling me (at my request) about the liver sandwich he had for lunch.  I said "liver, gross!" before I got "sucked in." I asked him what he had for lunch to get my mind off the pain in my chest and my spinning head.  Later I saw the other paramedic at the toy store where I worked at the time, and he told me I was the best patient they ever had.  I really had supernatural peace that night.  I had clenched my fist in preparation for the insertion of the needle, and he was like "don't hit me!"  I said, "oh, I can't believe you thought I was going to hit you!"  But some lady actually did that to him.

cecac

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2008, 06:01:14 AM »
Hollyolly123,

Overnight I have come to the conclusion of your post.  While I am taking potassium, I am also having to do some other things.  I posted my symptoms on another site of which I'm a member.  There is a midwife on this board that helps with female symptoms.  I listed mine and she said that it sounded like a blood volume issue.  She said four things for me:  drink plenty of water, lie on my left side a lot, look into iron, and eat lots of protein.

So, the rapid heartbeat appears to me to be a symptom--but of many different things, and in pregnancy it appears to me it can be slightly different than when we are not pregnant.  I do not struggle with this outside of pregnancy.

Today, I'm taking three doses of potassium, eating more protein, and staying down.  When I don't stay down my heart rate is in the low 90s.
Last night I woke up hungry and so I checked my pulse.  Resting is about at 82.  These numbers are not cause for concern according to my OB, he says over 100 is what you need to pay attention to.  However, prolonged like this seems to wear me out, and I have episodes of muscle weakness, shortness of breath, and my head is heavy, almost painful.  It may just be something that I will need to put up with til baby is born.  It would, however, be better for me as far as just feeling well, to have a pulse in the 70s.

It doesn't appear to me to be affecting my blood pressure. :-\  Oh, and I will up my iron depending on the blood sample taken last week.

I agree with you about anger issues.  I am staying calm, but late yesterday we had an incident come up with a family member that took my blood pressure and heart rate pretty high.  Not good.  I am keeping this issue in prayer before the Lord and I'm having to decide to keep it at the Lord's feet.

Offline hollyolly123

• Adept
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2008, 07:57:44 AM »
Oh yeah, I forgot about hydration.  Usually my first clue is that I feel my heart racing.  If I weren't nursing, I'd probably drink 4 to 5 quarts a day, but I am, so I drink much more than that.  I have bad low blood pressure problems if I don't drink enough, and even when I'm dehydrated, I'm still drinking more water than most people do!.  Glad someone else knows what I'm talking about!  I've never once talked to someone else who has the same issues I do with atrial tachycardia.

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2008, 10:33:05 AM »
I have experienced this on occasion during this pregnancy.

I wanted to mention an effective temporary treatment that my OB gave me - maybe it has been mentioned but I didn't see it.

"Diving Reflex"

from Wikipedia:

In mammals,
Every animal's diving reflex is triggered specifically by cold water contacting the face -- water that is warmer than 21 °C (70 °F) won't cause the reflex, and neither will submersion of body parts other than the face. Also, the reflex is always exhibited more dramatically, and thus can grant longer survival, in young people and animals.

Upon initiation of the reflex, three changes happen to the body, in this order:

1. Bradycardia is the first response to submersion. Immediately upon facial contact with cold water, the human heart rate slows down ten to twenty-five percent. In the seal the changes are even more dramatic, going from about 125 beats per minute to as low as 10 on an extended dive. Slowing the heart rate lessens the need for bloodstream oxygen, leaving more to be used by other organs.
    . . .

In short, when your heart is racing, splash your face with nice cold water.  This will effectively slow your heart down. (If you are a mammal   ;))

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2008, 06:34:21 AM »
I'm having trouble with my heart racing. It seems to be staying around 80-98. I had a few bouts of this very briefly in early pregnancy and potassium helped. I'm taking potassium pills now but it doesn't seem to be helping  Hubby is going to pickup an iron supplement on his way home. I have guests coming to our sons Bd party tonight and this is really wiping me out and starting to make me nervous since I can't seem to get it under control. Your prayers would be appreciated!

I had posted that in the prayer request thread but thought I'd update here. I've continued to take potassium and it seems to help a little. Iron however seems to be the key for me. I haven't been able to buy a true iron supplement but I started taking 3 sprialina with a vitamin c twice a day as well as a green drink from Garden of life that is very high in iron. My heart rate is staying normal for the most part. If this continues to work I plan to try and find a good iron supplement at my local health food store.

Does anyone know when a fast heartbeat becomes dangerous? I haven't seen a cut off number for how it can get before it becomes dangerous. I'm just wondering incase it were to become a problem again in labor. At what point should we seek help if we can't get it under control?
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

cecac

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2008, 10:11:38 AM »
My OB says anything over 100 is what you worry about.  I have had heart rate trouble, also, and I take potassium and iron, too.  Oh, and I dropped my organic minerals just in case the iodine was doing anything. 

Do you know what has brought my heartrate down more permanently?  The baby dropping. :o  Now my blood pressure and heart rate are so, so wonderfully normal.  OB said he was likely on one of the main veins. 

But, I hope you get that heartrate down, ((((hugs)))) while it didn't hurt to me, it was like pressure feeling and hard to breathe, and when I layed down at night, pounding, pounding, always pounding.

Offline kings daughter

• Learning
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2008, 08:35:27 AM »
This would happen to me while i was pregnant.  My midwife said that it was normal and nothing to worry about unless i would have chest pains along with the rapid heartbeat and difficulty breathing.  She also told me to have some extra sea salt, through out the day i would take a little pinch in my mouth or put about 1/8 tsp. in water and drink up. This seemed to help with my racing heart.  I hope this helps.

Offline maceoghain

• Adept
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2009, 12:59:13 PM »
Just a thought...Forever Girl mentioned a while back that sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) could contribute to a potassium deficiency. Now, I don't know about youse, but when I am pregnant I eat saltine crackers to help with morning sickness. One of their primary ingredients is baking soda (not to mention the salt if you get them salted)!

I experience heart palpitations regularly during pregnancy too...now I think I'm beginning to see a connection.

Hmmm... :)
All the way my Savior leads me...