Author Topic: How are the postpartum mamas?  (Read 102160 times)

Offline Leilani

• Adept
Re: How are the postpartum mamas?
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2008, 05:33:38 PM »
OK...very frustrated.  My scalp has been so oily since I had the baby.  I have to wash my hair EVERY day or it is disgusting.  Any suggestions...and, will this go away?

you mean this is not normal?  :D I have always had to wash my hair every day. I did go through a phase a year or two ago where my hair was soo greasy it looked wet as soon as it dried (if that makse any sense) anyway changing shampoo did the trick for me. could just be weird PP hormones though. My skin on my face has been dry and itchy since I had baby.
Leilani married to my Mr Visionary (now that I think about it he is really more of a Command man :D ) for 12 years!
my sweet boys 10, 8,4 and our baby girl is 2

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2008, 11:41:53 AM »
I've just been in the business of trying not to despair over my physical appearance.  Dh says he thinks I'm almost to what I was at when we got married (bless his heart) he doesn't know I'm twice the woman I was then unfortunately. :-\  :'(   
Can we do the water cure preggo?

arrrggghhh!  >:(

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
  • blessed to be my husband's wife
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2008, 12:56:40 PM »
Aren't hubby's sweet?  My husband told me yesterday he thought my legs and arms were really getting thinner.  It really made me feel good, since I was currently feeling like a sow, or cow...depends. 
Anyways, I have been drinking (or trying) half my body weight in oz in water since I was pregnant.  I don't see why the water cure would hurt anything.
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010

Offline hollyolly123

• Adept
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2008, 04:11:37 PM »
He He, my husband likes me chubby.  He says I'm one hot mamma  8).

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2008, 04:30:10 PM »
How 'bout this?  Baby doesn't want anyone but mama.  She hates to be set down at all really.  I can put her in the tiny bassinet in the livingroom if she's asleep, but that's about it.  The rest of the time she is with me.  If dh holds her, she is only quiet for maybe 5-10 minutes!  It is a little frustrating... not too bad since she isn't the first child so I am well-aware of how fast they grow through their phases.  Just wondering if anyone else has this prob.  None of my boys were this clingy or this particular of WHO had them.  I like that she's a mama's girl but it is just so hard to hear her shrieking from another room when dh has her... 

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2008, 03:25:40 AM »
I have had a few that would like to have been Mama's babies.  It is possible to discourage that.  It's harder since.... well... mama is the lunch wagon.  But I highly recommend changing her perspective.

You are very right - it can get annoying.

Sarah K
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2008, 03:34:09 AM »
I remember a similar Pearl story from one of their books about Debi and one of the kids.  They said eventually friends had to high-jack the toddler for awhile and get him to realize that there was life beyond mama's hip. 
Mine is only 2 1/2 weeks old, do you think she's too young to be truly concerned about it at this point?  I know habits could already be developing but bonds are still forming too right?  I guess I'm not sure which one takes precidence as far training goes?  I had been of the mindset that for training reasons - I'd rather just have her with me than pick her up when she's crying because I don't want to train her to cry to get me, KWIM?  Am I off track?  At the same time though - her daddy sure would like time with her   ;) .  thanks

Offline SarahLaRae

• Master
  • Sweet Anna
    • My Blog
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2008, 03:40:41 AM »
I remember a similar Pearl story from one of their books about Debi and one of the kids.  They said eventually friends had to high-jack the toddler for awhile and get him to realize that there was life beyond mama's hip. 
Mine is only 2 1/2 weeks old, do you think she's too young to be truly concerned about it at this point?  I know habits could already be developing but bonds are still forming too right?  I guess I'm not sure which one takes precidence as far training goes?  I had been of the mindset that for training reasons - I'd rather just have her with me than pick her up when she's crying because I don't want to train her to cry to get me, KWIM?  Am I off track?  At the same time though - her daddy sure would like time with her   ;) .  thanks

I know I'm not a postpartum lady but I'm going to respond to this because I've been there and done that.  My last one was like this and she still is at 2 1/2 years old.  If it were me I'd feed my baby give her to daddy and then leave for half an hour to an hour that way she has her cry out and you don't have to listen to the crying wishing you could go pick her up.  :D (I'm not talking about doing that every feeding, I mean do it every once in a while)  Just my .02 cents

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2008, 03:51:01 AM »
My current one is like this...I agree with Sarah.

Thankfully my dh is not deterred by a SCREAMING baby (ours can scream for hours and not give up).  I feed her and then hand her off for a while.  As long as I know she's fed and changed then there's no reason for her screaming except that she's MAD.

Ours is 5 1/2 mos and is getting better.  She now enjoys daddy time and even reaches for him when he comes home.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2008, 03:56:55 AM »
I remember a similar Pearl story from .....

I know I'm not a postpartum lady but .....

I think this is a great idea.  I have also just placed baby nearby where (s)he can hear me talking/banging around in the kitchen or wherever.  I am near but baby doesn't _need_ me to be in physical contact.  (This helps when Dad isn't around.)

NDMomOf5 - you are so quick!  I agree that it is important to find the difference between need and MAD. 

LM24 - I can tell you are thinking along these lines anyway already (your posts show that you think!).  Guess you just got lots of different ways to say "You are right to train -  Yea Mom!"

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2008, 04:00:57 AM »
I remember a similar Pearl story from .....

I know I'm not a postpartum lady but .....

I think this is a great idea.  I have also just placed baby nearby where (s)he can hear me talking/banging around in the kitchen or wherever.  I am near but baby doesn't _need_ me to be in physical contact.  (This helps when Dad isn't around.)

NDMomOf5 - you are so quick!  I agree that it is important to find the difference between need and MAD. 

LM24 - I can tell you are thinking along these lines anyway already (your posts show that you think!).  Guess you just got lots of different ways to say "You are right to train -  Yea Mom!"

thanks ladies!

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2008, 04:43:37 AM »
My recent  little is a sweet attached one too....
For the first few weeks she only wanted to be held and sleep in my arms. I complied because I wanted to, and it was important for me to bond this way too.

As I healed and was up more, I couldn't hold her all the time.
SO, over the next months she had 2 or 3 months she has had 2 or 3 big crying fits about it. But, now is very content to sit/lay by herself as long as she is near. She is even sleeping not in the bed anymore (but right next to it  ;))

I did things very gradually. It might have been easier to train more abruptly ... But I took the gradual approach because I liked holding my baby a lot.  :)

I can already tell she will be more attached and sweet than my first daughter. Just different personalities IMO .

Oh, and we could tell a difference between MAD and she needed something. It became obvious after 2 months or so.

Offline happyhomemaker

• happyhomemaker
  • Adept
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2008, 04:49:48 AM »
Okay,  sorry to change the toppic, but i need some help. :-[

I have a question for you mama's revovering from delivery.  I had lots of stitches, and most of them have come out.  ;D I still have one place that is very sore and still has some stitches in it.  It feels kinda hard, and the dr. said he had to pull it tighter because of the previous x's this has happend. I'm wondering if there is something I can put on the spot to keep it from getting infected? Would witch hazel help, or just make it feel better? I'm trying to avoid another dr. visit....

Sorry this has been TMI.  :P Hope someone has a good idea.
Happyhomemaker :)

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2008, 04:55:38 AM »
What about rubbing Evening Primrose Oil on it?  That should help soothe and soften it IMO, but I've never had tearing or stitiches so I actually don't know what I'm talking about... ;D sorry.

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2008, 05:01:45 AM »
My recent  little is a sweet attached one too....
For the first few weeks she only wanted to be held and sleep in my arms. I complied because I wanted to, and it was important for me to bond this way too.

As I healed and was up more, I couldn't hold her all the time.
SO, over the next months she had 2 or 3 months she has had 2 or 3 big crying fits about it. But, now is very content to sit/lay by herself as long as she is near. She is even sleeping not in the bed anymore (but right next to it  ;))

I did things very gradually. It might have been easier to train more abruptly ... But I took the gradual approach because I liked holding my baby a lot.  :)

I can already tell she will be more attached and sweet than my first daughter. Just different personalities IMO .

Oh, and we could tell a difference between MAD and she needed something. It became obvious after 2 months or so.

Yeah ... I figured I was probably the one with bigger attachment issues (after having lost the last one, ya know) so I guess I am trying to make sure I don't "damage" her or "spoil" her.  Since this is my first girl, dh and I had wanted to train her early to be with mama always doing what mama was doing, etc and trying to weigh that against forming a dependency to be actually in my arms.  I have never used and infant carrier or sling with one quite this young... maybe that would help a bit ...  ??? I think I fear being too clumsy and banging her around (LOL).  Thanks for the advice all - dh and I will weigh it all out and decide from there.  I know dh said yesterday that HE would rather see her always with mama than see mama pick her up WHEN she cried and therefore teach her that that is the way to get attention.  We are still learning all her "cues" too and I know at night time her crying is more out of tummy trouble, etc and not manipulation ...she is still pretty young for that (I think)... 

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2008, 05:15:35 AM »

I have a question for you mama's revovering from delivery.  ... I'm trying to avoid another dr. visit....

Sorry this has been TMI.  :P Hope someone has a good idea.

I had a spot that ended up very sensitive and had a head on it the size of the ball in a ball point pen.  I think it was an infection or a plugged gland or something.  Hurt like the dickens!  I put tea tree oil on it (drop on my finger and then on the spot/area as best I could guess).  It didn't burn me, but you might want to have the peri bottle handy just in case for yourself.  The TTO cleared up the spot in 2 days when I finally got consistent with applying it whenever possible instead of just when it stung so bad I couldn't miss it.

Offline bizymum

• Adept
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2008, 06:20:21 AM »

I have a question for you mama's revovering from delivery.  I had lots of stitches, and most of them have come out.  ;D I still have one place that is very sore and still has some stitches in it.  It feels kinda hard, and the dr. said he had to pull it tighter because of the previous x's this has happend. I'm wondering if there is something I can put on the spot to keep it from getting infected? Would witch hazel help, or just make it feel better? I'm trying to avoid another dr. visit....

Soaking in the tub with some Dead Sea Salts would probably help alot, if you have some.  The Big Lots around here is still carrying them for $3/bag.

Offline Leilani

• Adept
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2008, 06:32:33 AM »
LM- I am going to disagree ( just a little  ;D) with all the others. NOT that they aren't right cause I totally agree with what they are saying about not having baby rule your life  ;) but I always feel that in the first few weeks (I usually give them a month) they are still trying to adjust to life outside the womb and all they have ever known is mamma... Plus I can never get my babies on a solid enough schedule for me to KNOW they are not hungry or in need of a change.  After around the 4 week mark is when I start nursing them then putting them in their own beds to go to sleep and letting them cry it out that kind of thing. Also I use a sling right from the start and find it REALLY helpful this early.

HH- never had that problem myself but there is a thread here where someone was putting comfrey teabag poultices on their perineum something like that might help with soreness

Leilani married to my Mr Visionary (now that I think about it he is really more of a Command man :D ) for 12 years!
my sweet boys 10, 8,4 and our baby girl is 2

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2008, 07:10:09 AM »
Well, I don't have a sling but I have a front-carrier.  I tried that today while I was vacuuming and she seemed to like it a lot.  I think she also doesn't like to sleep on her back.  I know that is the position "they" say is a must but I tried to put her on her tumy and she's been quiet now for a longer stint than usual.  I think it helps her tummy to be laying like that.  I dunno... I do appreciate all the advice - on both sides.  It just shows me that there are a few ways to look at it and as long as we are doing what works for us...

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2008, 07:21:16 AM »
I do appreciate all the advice - on both sides.  It just shows me that there are a few ways to look at it and as long as we are doing what works for us...

Yup!
Each kiddo and each family has different goals/desires.

As for holding her all the time vs picking her up when she cries.... We purposefully try to pick her up and smile and enjoy her WHEN she is happy (but we figure she wants to be up).
It's all about training (not discipline....just what the kid is used to KWIM?)

Offline Sparkys9

• Adept
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2008, 09:19:02 AM »
To littlemama24-
Just a thought, have you considered getting her adjusted by a chiropractor? Sometimes when babies are cranky and almost inconsolable, they're in pain. Mom usually figures out how to hold them in such a way that they hurt least.
This is most likely to happen with babies that had a rapid birth, descent, or were lying or delivered in a less than ideal ( head flexed,back of the head towards mom's pubic bone, no shoulders sticking, or cord wrapping) position. I would suggest you try it.
You cannot "train" out a physical problem. JMO. Amy
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 09:23:35 AM by Sparkys9 »
I can do all things through Christ which strentheneth me. Phillipians 4:13

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2008, 09:22:35 AM »
Sparkys9/Amy-
Ooooo - very good point.  I didn't think of that.
Sarah K

Offline Sparkys9

• Adept
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2008, 09:27:20 AM »
Sometimes we can get so bent on training issues (which I thoroughly agree with), that we forget to address the physical side of the person. Jesus didn't neglect people's physical needs ( pain, food, etc) and only focus on the spiritual side. Neither should we. ;)
I can do all things through Christ which strentheneth me. Phillipians 4:13

Offline steadygirl

• Adept
    • My church home page
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2008, 09:47:04 AM »

I have a question for you mama's revovering from delivery.  I had lots of stitches, and most of them have come out.  ;D I still have one place that is very sore and still has some stitches in it.  It feels kinda hard, and the dr. said he had to pull it tighter because of the previous x's this has happend. I'm wondering if there is something I can put on the spot to keep it from getting infected? Would witch hazel help, or just make it feel better? I'm trying to avoid another dr. visit....

Vitamin E oil on the area will help heal it faster and maybe soften things up so it  won't hurt so bad. I am always amazed at how much quicker things heal up when  I put E oil on them! Just make sure it is natural and not synthetic. The synthetic just doesn't seem to work! ( from my experience)

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2008, 10:35:44 AM »
Wow, all us mamas must really be busy - nobody is posting in here  ;D.  Well, I will update.  I am tired!   ;) My new little girl has been either fussing or up nursing for the past two nights - we are still learning her cues and figuring out when she is having tummy troubles, etc. 

On a brighter note: I think my new "diet" (I hate to call it that) is working.  I feel better anyway and I have a lot of hope of losing the extra stuff and getting healthier!  I borrowed my mom's scale and it was very encouraging to see that I already weigh 20 pounds less than the day before I had her.  I know most of it was that 8 pound baby and all that water and placenta and all but it was still nice to see!  That means I only have about 60 to go... :-\  Ok, it sounds better to talk about the 20 I lost...

Offline happyhomemaker

• happyhomemaker
  • Adept
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2008, 11:23:42 AM »
It has been a busy week! This past weeks was my first week "alone" with the 3 kids.  The week wasn't bad, but I seemed to have a good day one day and a bad one the next. I'm still recovering and somedays are better than others.

Friday evening (I think...) things took a turn for the messy. My newest little boy barfed all over hubby, the floor and some on our bed. I've never seen anything like it, and I was very concerned that he might be sick. Best I call tell, he just ate too much, so  EVERYTHING came back up.  It was after 1am by the time we got things cleaned up + baby nursed again (I was concerned that he might get dehydrated if I didn't feed him before putting him down). I'm thankful to say he's not done it again, and that he seems to be fine.

This week I've had some eye trouble. I wear contacts, and new that my eye didn't feel quite right on monday. The day was busy, and I didn't get a chance to "mess" with my eye to see what the problem was, till around 10pm.  By then, it was really sore and very dry. I was afraid that I had somehow managed to scratch the eye.  The eye wasn't red, but it did hurt.  I didn't wear my contacts for 2 -3 days, and did lots of praying about it. I called around to see where I could get in to get seen. From that time on, my eye felt so much better and I've not had  trouble since then. PTL!!!  HE is so good!

I've also had some headaches this week. It seems like everyday, there was something new bothering me when hubby came home from work.  :-\ I'm making sure I take calcium mag., some of these have felt a little like migraines.

Yesterday, I went out of the house (as in to town) for the first time since coming home with baby...nearly a month ago!  It was sooooooooo good to be out and about as  a family again! We all enjoyed it so much!  I got to go in 2 stores all by myself!! Doller General in our area, already has their spring clothing out.  I found 2 things that fit now  ;D, and found a new golf/knit shirt for hubby for $9. IT was a good day!!!

My sister and her hubby come in this Friday! We haven't seen them since before Baby arrived.

I'm getting back into the swing of things, but most days I do feel a little tired.  Naps are wonderful and I usually get to take one after I get all the kids down for naps at 1pm.

Hope each of you have a  good week!  Spring is coming!!   ;D I think the first "real" day of spring is Thursday---baby's one month old birthday!  Happy one month birthday coming up to all of you February baby's!
Happyhomemaker :)

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2008, 08:45:24 AM »
We've been doing well the past couple of days.  Baby had been spitting up a lot at first but seems to be over it now.  The breastfeeding is going a lot better to as I'm all "toughened-up" and no more soreness.  She does still have extra fluid that collects in her right eye.  I have been TRYING to express milk to squirt her to avoid infection but can't really do that too well. I will have to look up those threads on here again and see what other options I have...
I hope all the other new mommas are doing good and bonding with your babies.  How are the new daddies adjusting?

My dh gets a little frustrated cuz the baby has a "fussy time" it seems every night from around the time he gets home until we go to bed  :-\.  He thinks she just doesn't like him, poor guy.  I don't think he's serious but I think it does get a little on his nerves... :)

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2008, 08:49:32 AM »
My dh gets a little frustrated cuz the baby has a "fussy time" it seems every night from around the time he gets home until we go to bed  :-\.  He thinks she just doesn't like him, poor guy.  I don't think he's serious but I think it does get a little on his nerves... :)

We have had this with a lot of the kids in our house.  Seems to be better if I can give them a good balance of sleep/wake time during the day - but it's not always do-able. 

Tell him "SarahK says that she will grow out of it before long.  She will still have plenty of time to wrap you right around her little finger..."

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2008, 08:59:49 AM »

We have had this with a lot of the kids in our house.  Seems to be better if I can give them a good balance of sleep/wake time during the day - but it's not always do-able. 

Tell him "SarahK says that she will grow out of it before long.  She will still have plenty of time to wrap you right around her little finger..."

I'm sure this will help.  He likes you... or at least what I have to reiterated to him from your posts  ;)  thanks :D

Offline Isaacsmama

• Adept
« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2008, 06:25:27 AM »
thought I would add into this thread.  I saw MW for first check Thursday, this was day 11 after birth.  She said I seem great, everything healing well.  Javan had gained a full pound allready and is now 10 lb 8 oz(or was on thursday, more now I am sure)  My bleeding has slowed way down, which is good.  Now I dont have any help, my sister and my mom have all left, so we will see how I do with just me and my two boys now.  DH just found out they wont be home on time, a few weeks later than expected. >:(  I am still praying he gets to leave earlier.  He is having a hard time not seeing his new baby.  Hope all you other new mommas are doing well!