Author Topic: How are the postpartum mamas?  (Read 102208 times)

Offline iluvphil

• Adept
Re: How are the postpartum mamas?
« Reply #300 on: June 06, 2008, 04:19:01 AM »
Well, we all finally recovered from our food poisoning and I think I have reclaimed my house, but still dealing with the after affects of being sick. My milk is still so low that I am basically pumping just enough to keep him fed and that is all. I have even had to supplement with formula a couple of times.  :-[ He seems to be doing ok, but I feel bad having to do that to him. I have been taking a milk increasing supplement and eating good and drinking lots of water, napping in the afternoon, etc. Still having trouble getting enough much less being able to get any ahead. It seems like I just get it pumped and he scarfs it right down. He is still gaining weight and growing, but I hate struggling to get him fed this way. Wears me out physically as well as mentally, trying to figure out what he his going to eat next and is there enough milk pumped to feed him or do I need to supplement. Ahhh.

Just finished pumping. Heading back to bed to get some rest. Thinking of you all.

I can't imagine the back strain it must be to nurse with the baby in the car seat. I have back troubles as it is. I bet it works though.  ;) :P

Big storm headed our way.

~Blue Rose
  BR, I know exactly what you're going through with a low milk supply and pumping. I've been pumping for several weeks now and just barely have enough; i certainly never have extra! I've also had to supplement with formula but my little girl (she's 4 mo.) didn't do so well with that so I found canned goats milk at Walmart that I use to mix with my milk when I don't have enough. I'm sure it's not nearly as good as the fresh raw milk but she does better on that than formula! It's not as convenient though.....
  I've tried lots of things to increase my supply including Maximilk, which usually works wonderfully for me. But I guess pumping is just not the same as nursing and our bodies must know it. :( I could probably increase it if I would take the time to pump very often for several days but I already feel like all I do all day is pump and feed my baby! :D Plus I have a 2 yr old to run after...
  So hang in there... at least we have the satisfaction of knowing that we're doing all we can to give our babies the best! If you find something or someway to increase your supply, I'd love to hear about it! Have a wonderful day...

Offline Blue Rose

• Adept
« Reply #301 on: June 06, 2008, 06:35:41 AM »
Well, we all finally recovered from our food poisoning and I think I have reclaimed my house, but still dealing with the after affects of being sick. My milk is still so low that I am basically pumping just enough to keep him fed and that is all. I have even had to supplement with formula a couple of times.  :-[ He seems to be doing ok, but I feel bad having to do that to him. I have been taking a milk increasing supplement and eating good and drinking lots of water, napping in the afternoon, etc. Still having trouble getting enough much less being able to get any ahead. It seems like I just get it pumped and he scarfs it right down. He is still gaining weight and growing, but I hate struggling to get him fed this way. Wears me out physically as well as mentally, trying to figure out what he his going to eat next and is there enough milk pumped to feed him or do I need to supplement. Ahhh.

Just finished pumping. Heading back to bed to get some rest. Thinking of you all.

I can't imagine the back strain it must be to nurse with the baby in the car seat. I have back troubles as it is. I bet it works though.  ;) :P

Big storm headed our way.

~Blue Rose
  BR, I know exactly what you're going through with a low milk supply and pumping. I've been pumping for several weeks now and just barely have enough; i certainly never have extra! I've also had to supplement with formula but my little girl (she's 4 mo.) didn't do so well with that so I found canned goats milk at Walmart that I use to mix with my milk when I don't have enough. I'm sure it's not nearly as good as the fresh raw milk but she does better on that than formula! It's not as convenient though.....
  I've tried lots of things to increase my supply including Maximilk, which usually works wonderfully for me. But I guess pumping is just not the same as nursing and our bodies must know it. :( I could probably increase it if I would take the time to pump very often for several days but I already feel like all I do all day is pump and feed my baby! :D Plus I have a 2 yr old to run after...
  So hang in there... at least we have the satisfaction of knowing that we're doing all we can to give our babies the best! If you find something or someway to increase your supply, I'd love to hear about it! Have a wonderful day...

Iluvphil, yes, we are doing what we can, but I still feel guilty about having to supplement with other things. A lady in my church is always so supportive of doing what we can. She is always so positive and encouraging. She has said she didn't know if she would have been able to stick with the pumping as long as I did last time (6 mo for my dd) or this time (3 mo already).

I did try the canned goats milk with my dd last year, but it didn't sit well in her tummy, so I haven't even tried it with him (no access to raw goat's milk). I made the Nourishing Traditions (I think) homemade formula recipe last year for dd and she did well on it, but it was hard to take it anywhere as it didn't keep as well at room temps as bm does.

I am taking MoreMilkPlus capsules and that has helped a lot, but it is still not back up to where it was before I got sick. Oh, and the oatmeal thing someone suggested is probably a good idea. I have read good things about oatmeal, but Oatmeal and I don't get along. I always have a sour tummy afterwards, so that is not a good option for me. I am pumping pretty frequently, but like you, I haven't had a day where I could just pump every two hours to get it back up. I have to keep up with my almost 17mo old dd. I pump as often as I can for at least 20 mins. at a time, but is still isn't up where it was before. At least I am not stressing about it. Last year with my dd, I stressed about not giving her anything but bm and that stress made my milk even less. This year, I am not opposed to doing other things, I just hate doing it. And as far as my body knowing the difference between the pump and actually nursing, I wouldn't know. My dd never latched and my ds was just latching when we discovered he did better with his acid reflux when he ate from a bottle. He sleeps better, longer when fed from a bottle too. I don't get it, and I would love to nurse, but at this point, the struggle of reteaching him to latch again is more than I want to muddle through. I need my energy to last for other things.

Ahh, the joys of being a mom and trying to do what is best.
Thinking of you as you work with your milk supply too.
~Blue Rose

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #302 on: June 06, 2008, 05:16:56 PM »
hey everyone, just checkin' in.  we are on a mini-vacation in Wisconsin Dells.  It's fun but draining for mama trying to keep tabs on everyone and keep everyone happy (kwim?).  Its worth it though. 
I hope you are all having a nice weekend and resting peacefully with your new babies... :D

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #303 on: June 09, 2008, 10:21:52 AM »
This topic has been locked for moderator review.

[modreview]
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #304 on: June 09, 2008, 10:22:12 AM »
Although, posting is not a requirement for members to participate and utilize the forum, the intent of the WellTellMe is to share information related to physical ailments and healthy living as related to herbs, diet & other natural resources and without the posts of the members, WellTellMe is nothing but a structure waiting to be filled.

We don’t ever want to discourage you from being social and making new friends when appropriate; however, we also don’t want the overall function of the forum to become that of a social club and by allowing this thread to continue, I’ve allowed good information to get lost in the tangle of chatter and niceties, when it would have been more appropriately placed in other threads, where it could be read again and again and used by many others for months or even years to come.

Beginning as a moderator of this forum, two-plus years ago, I was walking in totally unfamiliar territory.  This is and will most likely continue to be a learning experience for me.  The guidelines by which I have allowed certain topics unrelated to health to occur have been rather fuzzy and unclear and I’m working to define them more clearly for future posts and topics.

You’ll find that many topics will be locked for review & decluttering.  I don’t want any members to feel that they have acted inappropriately as I feel that you were all acting within the guidelines given.  I just hope you’ll be patient and forgiving as I attempt to make things more streamlined and profitable, both for WellTellMe as an entity and for the members which make up the forum.

For this thread in particular, I have decided to lock it and attempt to salvage useful posts and move them to their appropriate locations and delete the rest.  I feel that this thread has become a blog of sorts with multiple posters and this really is not appropriate for the forum structure.  It is very normal to want to share your lives and the details of such with others, but this really isn’t the best place for it.  I would encourage you to start a blog if you haven’t already and consider posting your routines, schedules, appointments, life events, feelings and venting there.  You can put a link to your blog in your signature line or in the provided website label in your personal profile.  Please, also feel encouraged to use the personal message function provided as a benefit for the active forum members to exchange messages of a more personal nature with other members that you would like to share with.

Thank You,

healthybratt, moderator
  My favorite herb book!!