Author Topic: How are the postpartum mamas?  (Read 102162 times)

Offline Helpmeetmom

• Adept
    • Avon organics
Re: How are the postpartum mamas?
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2008, 07:27:57 PM »
SIGH!! I am having mastitis-ey feelings  >:( GRRRR! so I sloshed down some garlic right away and have been "working"  :D that side hard! Took some vitamin C too so hopefully I can stop this before it really starts!

Got some cabbage handy?  Some women say it helps to put a cabbage leaf down in their bra.  But, then again, who likes to go to bed with a bra on?  :P

I got mastitis horribly this time, high fever, shaking uncontrollably major headache, and my uh sorry n*pples felt like they were on fire!  This is what we did, because I was told by my midwife that if it gets out of hand, worse case scenario a doc will have to cut out the mass and I would have to get antibiotics intravenously.  She said that we needed to fight this thing hard and to start out by taking Echinacea capsules 2 every 2 hours.  I'm sure you can take it inother forms, this was a desparate measure.  It was to raise the white blood cell count.  I also used a heating pad and applied hot water with drops of cayenne oil in the water to the area.  I massaged the huge mass often which was excrutiating but did the trick.
     I had another issue with breast pain and the cayenne compresses cleared it up immediately then too.  Mastitis is not fun.  It was absolutely horrifying this last time for me.  Thank the Lord it cleared up a couple days after it started. 
     I felt a very tender marble-sized lump and a couple hours after noticing it I had a fever that completely debilitated me to the point of agony.  I had the heat up so high that my family was sweating.  I couldn't stop shaking.  It was so awful, plus with the terrible pain from starting nursing again.  Yikes...anyway, chasing rabbits over here.  Hope that info helps someone. 
So grateful for all the Lord has done for me and my family.  God is so good!

Offline Blue Rose

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2008, 10:50:49 PM »
Nice to be joining in with you all! Baby and I are doing really well health wise and getting a nice lot of rest, hubby is seeing to that these first few days. He is loving his little boy and it is so nice to see him interact with him. Though when I asked him about is he said he didn't know what to do with a boy, was really good with a girl, but concerned I think that he wouldn't be a good dad for his boy. I smiled at his frown and told him I thought he would figure it out quickly. He is SUCH a good daddy.

Still trying to get our boy to n*rse. He has the want to, still working on his sucking strength. Most of the problem is me and my anatomy. Hoping to see the lactation consultant tomorrow. Really hoping to get this figured out this time so I don't end up tied to a pump for 6 months again. Really wanting to enjoy the experience of n*sing.

Going back to bed now that he is asleep, resting while he does.
Hope all is well with you.
~Blue Rose

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2008, 02:15:32 AM »
I went grocery shopping yesterday.  I practically flew around the store as I didn't bring the baby with me and I had to get home to put supper in the oven.  Man, was it hard to be away from the baby!  Then I called dh on the way home to let him know I was coming and I could hear her crying in the background. I think I drove at the speed of light back to the house!  Good thing we live on minimally traveled country roads and the store isn't far.  It was a mistake to push it and try to do it all that fast though because I had bad cramping and clotting all afternoon and evening after that.  :P

I also am a bit perplexed.  See if you can help me with this TMI situation.  I was all excited after delivery that I was able to have a BM only a day and a half later (other times it was 5-10 days before I could!).  But then they spaced out.  Now it's been like 3 days or so and no matter how much oatmeal and prunes and water, nothing is happening... ??? What's up with that?

Offline Sparkys9

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2008, 03:26:23 AM »
Be sure to drink enough (about 3 qts non- caffeinated liquid/ day), otherwise all that extra fiber will actually work like a plug.
I can do all things through Christ which strentheneth me. Phillipians 4:13

Offline Leilani

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2008, 09:27:36 AM »
Well I definitely have mastitis, but its not too bad. I think I caught it soon enough. I am trying the cabbage leaf thing and it does seem to be helping. I can't feel a lump anymore but I am still real sore. Johanna is not thrilled with having to nurse on that side all the time  ::) I think it must be harder to get milk with the clog or something. It feels like its right under my n*pple though so I am surprised it even GOT clogged. I was nursing her a little different last couple days though after the nurse was here and told me some different positions. I think that the way I have been doing it for 3 kids is just fine thank you! 

LM- I think it just takes a while for things to get back into a normal um cycle?  ;D I have been taking TT every day too and that seems to help.
Leilani married to my Mr Visionary (now that I think about it he is really more of a Command man :D ) for 12 years!
my sweet boys 10, 8,4 and our baby girl is 2

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
  • blessed to be my husband's wife
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2008, 02:33:39 PM »
Ugh...I woke up early this morning to nurse little bit, and my right side was so painful.  I could feel at least two hard knots on the underside.  I went ahead and latched the baby on that side and rubbed the knots with my knuckles as I nursed.  It hurt SO bad, I cried.  I have done that all day when I nurse on that side, which I try to do each feeding...at least for a couple of minutes.  It has really helped.  I haven't run fever or anything, so I think it is just a clogged duct and not mastitis.  Hopefully, I caught it before it went that far.
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010

Offline Leilani

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2008, 03:04:13 PM »
Man Jess that is no fun! I was doing the same thing while nursing this morning it hurt SOOO bad  :'( for me the sick feeling starts at the same time as the lump/pain. I have never had a clogged duct that wasn't mastitis.

So my MIL called yesterday and I guess a friend of hers wants to get us a real nice gift for the baby ($100 range) and wants to know what we want. Since this is baby number 4 I have all the "Big" stuff and am having a hard time coming up with anything. Got any ideas??
Leilani married to my Mr Visionary (now that I think about it he is really more of a Command man :D ) for 12 years!

Offline diaperswyper

• Adept
  • A DOUBLE BLESSING!!
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2008, 03:07:58 PM »
  Poke root is supposed to be really good for breast infection. I got mine from HerbLore. It's very potent so it doesn't take much. I always struggle with blocked ducts/infection, tho if i get it soon enough it won't develop into infection. I've had one blocked duct so far and i took poke root and it was pretty much gone by that evening.

YoopreMama

« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2008, 03:10:36 PM »
I'm so sorry you two are in pain.  :(  I'm glad you have each other to commiserate with.  :)

Leilani...my MIL wanted to get me a portable dishwasher...that'd be nice, but I think I'd put the $$ toward a co-sleeper.  ;D  I have an Ergo, but that'd be on the list, too.  How nice of her!  Let us know what you pick. 

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2008, 03:26:23 PM »
Leilani:  ummmm ... cash  -  babies love that   8)  lol

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2008, 03:54:11 PM »
My mom just sent about that much cash for my baby a gift.  This is our fourth, so we have all the big stuff too.  The fam and I went to Dillard's tonight to find a pretty dress for the baby's first church service on Sunday.  We found some gorgeous dresses....for $7!!!!!  I bought two...one to wear Sunday and a 12 mo for next winter.  I also bought some lace tights for the baby...they are so pretty.  Tomorrow, I am going to go to Walmart to get ribbon to make a HUGE bow to match the dress.  She is going to look GORGEOUS!!!!
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010

Offline goatgirl

• Adept
« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2008, 05:55:27 PM »
 I haven't been on in a couple of days (busy nursing ;D) Sorry about you ladies with mastitis. With my last baby I had plugged ducts a few times due to wearing a bra to bed. I was so tired of leaking through the night that I started wearing a bra with nursing pads. I paid the price! What helped most for me was leaning over in the shower and letting hot water spray the area while massaging down. Also massaging while nursing. Lelaini I remember the lactation consultant telling me that I needed to be nursing in all of these different positions but by baby #2 I did what I wanted ;) With my home births the birthing kit we ordered came with a little jar called cord care, mostly goldenseal, and the cord came off within 4 days. This home birth I opted to take the herbal bath and her cord came off in 2 days! May your babies sleep well tonight.

YoopreMama

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2008, 03:26:11 AM »
Thanks, goatgirl--those are good tips to tuck away for future reference--NEXT MONTH, I can finally say!  I think, anyway  ;).

My current midwife says that cords come off sooner taking the herbal baths w/ baby, too.  I LOVE Goldenseal--powder for cord and the salve for perineal trauma.  :)

Offline JeffAngie

• Adept
    • Our Joyful Living
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2008, 05:51:32 AM »
Can any of you tell me what is in the herbal bath that you take as well as give your new baby.  I am due in about 4 weeks (WOO HOO) and I am intrested in knowing about what herbs are in the bath for both mama and baby.

God Bless,
Angie

YoopreMama

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2008, 08:17:09 AM »

Offline Leilani

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2008, 08:19:19 AM »
I am not sure if its the same thing goatgirl is talking about but I bathe baby with the seasalt/olive oil mix from the bathing infants naturally thread here on WTM. I am not using soap on her at all, then I lotion with coconut oil. Her skin is sooo beautiful, not breaking out like my other kids did with baby acne. Her cord came off at about oh 8 or 9 days.

Offline goatgirl

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2008, 05:43:08 PM »
The herbal bath that I got from my midwife consists of 4 baths total. The first to be taken shortly after birth. I brought the baby in with me. On the forth day, per instruction, I added sea salt and myrh (spelling?)The ingredients were shepherds purse, uva ursi (spelling?), comphrey, and I can't remember the other one. I am not much of a bath person, so I hadn't used the herbal bath before but this midwife kind of insisted, so I tried it and it was great! As I said the cord came off in record time and I healed very quickly (externally) as well. My old midwife pre-makes these baths and sells them for $25. If any one is interested pm me and I can give her #. I am also using just sea salt and lavendar oil in the bath for the baby with olive oil after and her skin is better than any of my other babies were by far! Thanks Becka. ;) Have a great day at church tomorrow everyone. Kim

Offline marksgirl

• Adept
    • My Life As I Know It
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2008, 07:49:28 PM »
I got mastitis with my 5th baby, so I can really relate!  The instantaneous feeling of horrible flu, the extreme soreness from nursing...ouch!  Cabbage leaves did help a lot.  So did being able to just lay around and nurse baby as much as possible while my mom took care of the others.

As far as different nursing positions, don't be afraid to try what the lactation consultants suggested!  From what I remember, the baby's nose should be facing the plugged area, which might mean laying baby down and then sort of hanging yourself above.  Or when laying beside baby, have them "upside-down" (feet towards your face).  Depends, of course, on where your particular problem area is.

Here's a somewhat humorous story from that time:
My brother was sick with the flu at the same time I had mastitis, but he stayed upstairs in his bedroom while I had the couch in the living room.  Friends were coming over to visit and see the baby, and one of the younger girls asked her dad if I had the flu, too.  "No," he said, "she has udder problems."  ::)

Will be a while yet before I officially join this "club", but wanted to offer my help.

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2008, 12:28:33 PM »
So far I have learned the following about my new baby:

-The smell of clean clothes makes her nauseous.

- The feel of a fresh diaper gives her the runs.

- The smell of a hot dinner for mama makes her so hungry she must nurse NOW.

-The sound of Daddy sleeping peacefully makes her so sad she needs to cry it all out.

-She feels that sitting in a baby seat or bouncer is only acceptable if one or more people are paying 100% attention to her; otherwise it is complete injustice.

-She hates carrides, the car seat, everything involving the car really except the radio...

-She knows that we are absolutely in love with her and wouldn't have her any other way!   ;D  8)

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2008, 12:30:41 PM »
So far I have learned the following about my new baby:

-The smell of clean clothes makes her nauseous.

- The feel of a fresh diaper gives her the runs.

- The smell of a hot dinner for mama makes her so hungry she must nurse NOW.

-The sound of Daddy sleeping peacefully makes her so sad she needs to cry it all out.

-She feels that sitting in a baby seat or bouncer is only acceptable if one or more people are paying 100% attention to her; otherwise it is complete injustice.

-She hates carrides, the car seat, everything involving the car really except the radio...

-She knows that we are absolutely in love with her and wouldn't have her any other way!   ;D  8)

Do we have the same baby? :D
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline Leilani

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2008, 03:22:12 PM »
LM- that is so funny!  ;D

So far baby hasn't had a chance to find out what its like to NOT have 100% of SOMEONES attention but I second the smell of dinner thing! Somehow no one is interested in holding a baby when there is food to be eaten  ::)

Offline happyhomemaker

• happyhomemaker
  • Adept
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2008, 05:25:23 PM »
LM, that's too funny!  ;D ;D  No, really...I thought having a new baby was a speicial kind of diet.  It's kinda like the "see food" diet, only in this one you see everyone ELSE eating the food and are unable to eat it in most cases yourself.  >:( ???

At our house, there's nothing that brings on a messy diaper faster than a fresh clean dry one!  :P
Happyhomemaker :)

Offline Blue Rose

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2008, 04:46:58 AM »
Aaahhhh, the house is quiet this am and I actually got a good amount of sleep last night. So needed. Our little guy seemed to have some trouble with his breathing the first few days. His tongue was really lazy and slid back while sleeping making him very uneasy. He ended up sleeping best while laying on me while I was upright in our recliner or in bed. I slept better in the chair while holding him so that is where we ended up. He was able to be in his own little bed in our room for the first time last night and I got to sleep in bed for the first time in a LONG time without heartburn (soo glad that is gone).  :)

I am just really enjoying our boy. He is so cuddly and sweet. So different from our dd and yet so similar. We were comparing their newborn pics the other day and if I didn't know better I would have thought it was the same baby! Wow, guess they must have the same parents!  ;D ::) ::) He really is a good baby. So much fun to watch him grow. His face is clearing up and his eyes are opening more, getting more alert all the time. I think the only time he is really fussy is when he is getting his diaper changed, that he REALLY doesn't like.

Oh, we got a box of fun clothes and goodies from my MIL yesterday! So much fun to get a box from her. We didn't have a shower for this baby and so all we really had was a few gender neutral outfits and a TON of everything pink! So getting a box FULL of blue was so fun. My MIL is one of those people who buys things when she sees them on sale and puts them away for a rainy day (or the birth of the other kind of grandchild!) and so is always sending us something. So much fun to see what she has been collecting, creating or just found on sale :)!

I think I hear our dd waking up. She has missed having me come in to get her in the am so I think I will go surprise her.  ;) It is nice to be finally caught up on sleep enough to join you all here.  :)
~Blue Rose

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2008, 08:40:18 AM »
What kinds of foods should I buy to snack on for this crazy munchy postpardum nursing time?  It's gotta be something that satisfies the munchies but doesn't add to the hips, PLEASE!!  I don't think celery and carrots will cut it though... suggestions, recipes?  If this isn't the place to post 'em then guide me to where is...thanks!

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2008, 08:43:58 AM »
What kinds of foods should I buy to snack on for this crazy munchy postpardum nursing time?  It's gotta be something that satisfies the munchies but doesn't add to the hips, PLEASE!!  I don't think celery and carrots will cut it though... suggestions, recipes?  If this isn't the place to post 'em then guide me to where is...thanks!

Nuts they are gh in fat but they will last with you longer.

Em

Offline Gigi

• Master
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2008, 10:10:01 AM »
Frozen berries (blueberries, raspberries & blackberries) make a fun snack.  I love them cold right out of the freezer, or just put a few in a cup and let them sit out a few minutes.   

Definitely second the nuts suggestion.  They have lots of good fat for holding power and their full of vitamins/minerals.

HTH!

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2008, 10:53:03 AM »
two very good suggestions ... keep 'em coming!  (They're making me hungry   :-\)

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2008, 10:55:16 AM »
whole grain breads and peanut butter,yogurt, pretzels, ...

Em

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2008, 03:51:43 PM »
OK...very frustrated.  My scalp has been so oily since I had the baby.  I have to wash my hair EVERY day or it is disgusting.  Any suggestions...and, will this go away?

Offline happyhomemaker

• happyhomemaker
  • Adept
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2008, 04:12:15 PM »
Hmmmmm. I'm not sure.  My hair always gives me fits while prego, and then it gets thick and goes back to "normal"  :o  In times past, I have used baking soda to remove the build up of hair products on my hair.  Maybe something like that would work????  Don't no.

Hubby suggests maybe Lysol kitchen spray???  It SAYS...it cuts grease. LOL!! Hope you find SOMETHING that will work for you!
Happyhomemaker :)