Author Topic: How are the postpartum mamas?  (Read 102163 times)

YoopreMama

How are the postpartum mamas?
« on: February 24, 2008, 11:31:50 PM »
You all keep saying there should be a thread to transition to from the Preggo Mamas thread...so here you are.   ;)  I figure you'll all have it up and running by the time the end of April rolls around  ;D  with being one-handed and all.   8)

Offline Blue Rose

• Adept
Re: How are the postpartum mamas?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 04:08:31 AM »
Yeah!! Can't wait! I plan to try to post something once a day, one handed or not!  :D

~Blue Rose

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 04:42:02 AM »
Thanks Yooper!  You're the best!   ;D  I'm doing well adjusting to baby especially since milk came in.  P.M feedings do seem a bit more complicated than I remember - I keep forgetting to change her and we both just fall back asleep!  Dh is absolutely in love with her and I am afraid he is already planning #6....  :o  :o  8)

Offline Blue Rose

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 04:53:52 AM »
Dh is absolutely in love with her and I am afraid he is already planning #6....  :o  :o  8)

Personally I think he is just enjoying having a little girl to be a daddy too. I saw soo many good things come out in my hubby when our dd was born. He is just so sweet with her. Now that she is 13 months, they have the best time romping on the LR floor. He lays down on the floor and she body slams him. It is so fun to watch and they both end up laughing, giggling and her squeals are so contagious! Nothing better than a loving, protective Daddy for a little girl to grow up knowing who she is.

~Blue Rose

Offline happyhomemaker

• happyhomemaker
  • Adept
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 05:44:13 AM »
Hi everybody!  :D  Hope today is a good day for each of you! It's bright and sunny here, and I've been sunning the little guy a bit this am. He's not bad, but his eyes looked a little yellow. He's finally filling out. I've had some problems getting him to latch on (acts like he can't find what he's looking for...using a "help" most of the time). Yesterday the cabage leaves and I spent time together.  ;)  Today I have no pain and no problems!

Other than being tired, I really feel pretty perky. I'm not having any PPD--- but hubby is.   ??? Have any of you had this problem before with your guys? If so, what did he take to help out? It's been very hard to rest when things are so moody around here.  Any ideas would be great!

Better go. I need to get the baby so hubby and ds1, can head to town to do the shopping. Happy resting and recovery to all!!!  :D :D :D
Happyhomemaker :)

Offline Leilani

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 06:01:34 AM »
hehe ooh yay! I keep reading the preggos thread. You know with all my extra time  ::) Really Johanna is SO good I think she is my easiest baby so far. I am trying to be really careful what I eat too so I don't upset her tummy and also hopefully with out any extra "junk" maybe I will actually lose weight while BF. My stomach seems to be just about back to normal now and I have completely stopped bleeding. I don't remember it happening that soon before. I have been able to get a lot of rest though and I think I have finally learned to let stuff go. The world will not end because I haven't vacuumed  ;D I think that must be some of the benefits of RR tea showing too.

Amanda we are lucky if we get more than one diaper change in a night cause we just cuddle up and both go to sleep. She usually sleeps till about 3 am after we go to bed so that is usually when she gets a change. After that it sometimes happens again and sometimes we wake up and its morning  :o

HH-he is filling out  :D  is hub just hanging around the house tryig to "Help?" cause whenever my hub has to spend a large amount of his time in the house he gets crabby and restless.

Can't wait for more of you ladies to join us!
Leilani married to my Mr Visionary (now that I think about it he is really more of a Command man :D ) for 12 years!
my sweet boys 10, 8,4 and our baby girl is 2

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
  • blessed to be my husband's wife
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 06:19:45 AM »
Doing great here!!!  I took little Avery Brynn to the doctor this morning.  She has gained 9 oz in the last week!!  I am so relieved.  She had jaundice her first week and became dehydrated.  She got REALLY sluggish in her feeding, and lost weight.  She is now 5 oz over her birth weight...praise the Lord!!
My sweet hubby is just enthralled with her.  I remember he was the same way with our older dd.  I think it is even worse, or better this time.  He loves to cuddle and love on her.  He talks about how pretty she is...this from the man who think all newborns are ugly, except his little girls, of course.  I love watching him with the baby.
Altogether, things are going well.  I could definitely use a little more continuous sleep at night, but I know that this time will pass too quickly.
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010

Offline goatgirl

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 09:28:14 AM »
Hi everyone, I got in on the preggo thread at the tail end of my pregnancy, so I never joined in but I did read a lot and prayed for a lot of you. Our little girl was born January 27th at home. She is our sixth child. I had a real hard time with nursing this time for about the first week. She just wasn't latching on well and grabbing just the tip :o I was ready to try a shield and all of a sudden (praise God) she started nursing well enough to let me heal some and now she is doing very well. I also had some ppd issues this time around for lack of a better term. Trying to figure out how to manage homeschooling, house, farm and all of the extras! God has been very gracious to me and things are starting to take shape. Like many of you vacuuming and dusting sometimes just has to wait ;) My husband is a very good man too but he gets a little crabby when he is in the house too long with me and the kids. He was off for 4 days for the baby  and by the 2nd he was saying I don't know how you do this every day I need to go back to work ;D I am looking forward to reading how all of your days A.B. (after baby) are going and sharing mine too.

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 12:49:44 PM »
I just got back from taking Zoe to her 1st dr appt.  She is 5 days old now.  They hadn't taken her cord clamp off at the hospital so they were trying at the dr office and the girl doing it was literally pulling at her cord stump and I was getting real upset about it- trying to tell them I'd just do it at home, but they finally managed to cut it off.  Yikes, it was very frustrating. 

I was real lucky this time to have dh at home for 2 whole days and then he worked one day and was home ALL weekend.  He gets a bit grouchy if he's home and not constantly occupied.  It reall gets to him.  He also was taking SUCH good care of me at the end of the pregnancy that I think he's real ready for me to get back into the swing of things and take my jobs back over.  I am almost there.  My mind is ready but my body is still sluggish. 

I am borrowing a body brace wrap thingy from my mom to try the binding that others are taking about on the postpardum body wrapping thread.  I hope it helps me feel a bit better.  Right now I kinda feel like things are just flopping out in space and some support would seem to feel good.  I just gotta figure out how to put it on...???  I am glad to hear how well everyone is doing!  Take care of yourselves and those precious babes!  :-*

Offline happyhomemaker

• happyhomemaker
  • Adept
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 05:45:27 PM »
Our little guys cord fell off either yesterday or today. I think it got rubbed off. It wasn't ready to  be off from the look of it, but it is looking better. Been keeping an eye on it to make sure it's not getting infected.

Baby B. is sleeping better, now that he's getting enough food. He's been a touch yellow, but is much better now that he was "baked" in the sunshine today.  ;)  I've been amazed how alert he is. He is already tracking the mobile on his swing.

My 2 year old is sick again, and today he and the baby were screeming for 10 min. before I could get them calmed down.  :-\ Daddy was doing the shopping and I was here with the 2 youngest. It's so hard not to pick up the kids when they need you to. Hoping that tomorrow will be better for all of us.

Well, this mama needs to get some rest. Hope all of you are taking it as easy as you can.

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 02:26:20 PM »
anyone know if EPO will help fend off PPD?  I've never had PPD before but I think it's trying to sneak on me this time... :-[

Offline AndysJess

• Adept
  • blessed to be my husband's wife
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 02:59:55 PM »
I had PPD with my last baby...horribly...for 3 months!!!  I have been taking EPO with this one.  It seems to really help.  We have been going through a lot with our finances, and this helps when the feelings of despair get a little overwhelming.  I have been taking one 1000mg in the morning and at night.  HTH

***does anyone know if Wild Yam is okay to take while nursing?  I know that helps with hormonal surges too.
Helpmeet to Andy for over 10 years.  Mama to Drew, Dylan, Cullen & Avery...new baby due in May 2010

Offline Leilani

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 04:38:15 PM »
Hi Gals,
we are good today. Our first dinner "alone" my parents who have been cooking us dinner every night had plans with my grandma. They have been a wonderful help, but also its nice to have a normal evening.  Yesterday a nurse came out to do baby's PKU and weigh and all that since I flat out told them at the hospital there was no way I was bringing her back into the hospital just for that  ;D  She is just a 1/2 ounce shy of her birthweight so that was kinda fun to know. I usually never do all the follow up appts. Her belly button/cord is kinda gross... hopefully it will come off soon. I give regular baths though so I guess that might make it take a little longer although  my first was the only one I didn't do regular baths with and his took the longest (1 month!!  :o )  This time I am doing the salt baths and coconut oil along with a little hair shine on her head and her skin so far is BEAUTIFUL I am wondering if she will break out at all.

Oh I read that EPO does help with PPD and also I think CLO I am still taking both... when I remember  ;D OK now I am off to work on my circle letter!
Leilani married to my Mr Visionary (now that I think about it he is really more of a Command man :D ) for 12 years!

Offline happyhomemaker

• happyhomemaker
  • Adept
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 04:52:06 AM »
Goodmorning! How is everyone??? I feel good this morning, but tired.  My Benjamin bunny decided to eat his way to 2am., and then acted like he was hungry again at 3am. As it turns out, he just wanted mama to hold him.  So I was pumping at 4am....  :-\ Very little sleep, and we have a toddler on our hands that's ready to tackle the world!  Baby is majorly off his schedule now, but  that's okay. Today he's a week old!

Take care and have a blessed day! It's cold here today, and I am going to enjoy staying inside in comfy clothes.  :D

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 05:03:28 AM »
Oh I read that EPO does help with PPD and also I think CLO I am still taking both... when I remember  ;D OK now I am off to work on my circle letter!

I think it DOES help.  I took a dose last night and one this a.m. and I already feel more normal.  I knew it had to be hormonal because along with all the gloomy despair type thoughts I was craving chocolate BIG TIME!  I wanted one of those molten lava cakes with cookie dough ice cream on the side.... still sounds good.

I am STARVIN since I began nursing!  I was actually losing weight at the end of the pregnancy and now I want to eat EVERYTHING in sight!  arrrgggh!

Offline Wing

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 05:49:06 AM »
what is EPO?

Offline Leilani

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 05:50:45 AM »
what is EPO?

Evening Primrose Oil  ;D

Offline Leilani

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 05:55:10 AM »
I am STARVIN since I began nursing!  I was actually losing weight at the end of the pregnancy and now I want to eat EVERYTHING in sight!  arrrgggh!

This is why I NEVER lose weight while nursing!  >:( I am always SO hungry. So I am really trying to just not eat junkfood and baby doesn't like spicy stuff so that limits me. Trying to get in lots of protein... I hope (HOPE being the key word here  :D ) to start doing something like pilates or walking around the 3 week mark... but I am not real stuck on that cause I tried to do too much too soon with my last one and ended up sick over and over.  I sure would love to be one of those people who breastfeeding just melts the weight off though  ;D

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 06:00:24 AM »

We gotta figure out something to eat and or drink that fills us up but doesn't "weigh us down" KWIM?  I KNOW I won't find the time to do a whole workout thingy that soon.  I have an elyptical bike that I am planning on attempting for 10-15 minutes a day to start...that's as much as I can see for now.  With homeschooling the others and possible starting to watch my brother's 2 y/o and 3 y/o soon - a workout regime just isn't in the vocabulary... :-\ :(

This is why I NEVER lose weight while nursing!  >:( I am always SO hungry. So I am really trying to just not eat junkfood and baby doesn't like spicy stuff so that limits me. Trying to get in lots of protein... I hope (HOPE being the key word here  :D ) to start doing something like pilates or walking around the 3 week mark... but I am not real stuck on that cause I tried to do too much too soon with my last one and ended up sick over and over.  I sure would love to be one of those people who breastfeeding just melts the weight off though  ;D

Offline Leilani

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 06:07:39 AM »
wow you ARE going to be busy! I was watching my niece until the end of January and then had to stop, five kids seemed like WAY too much right now  ;D My pliates video is about 20 min so I think I may have time for that and as for walking I was thinking of putting baby in the sling when fussy and walking that would work for both of us.  :)  I want to do the master cleanse again... SOMEDAY!  ;D

Offline Wing

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2008, 06:41:52 AM »

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2008, 06:51:29 AM »
Anyone know if it is a serious problem if baby's cord stump starts bleeding?  She is 1 week old today and instead of the gooey yellow/brown around the dried up part, hers is bloody now.  She doesn't seem to be in pain and its not so bloody that it's soaking herr clothes but I don't recall this happening with my boys... ???

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2008, 06:55:46 AM »
It happens.  Actually, it happens more often than not with my kids.  I just wait for it to dry and then flake it off so I don't disturb any clotting.  It may do that again when you change clothing and then again when it finally drops off. 

Unless I can't stop it I don't get concerned - and that's never happened.  I usually notice after the blood has dried and taken care of itself.
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline happyhomemaker

• happyhomemaker
  • Adept
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2008, 08:28:50 AM »
LM, Funny (not as in laughing...) that your little one's cord fell off too soon also. We went through that the other day. Kinda had me worried, but it seems to be healing well. It is drying up nicly and looking better. Can't wait to have it done. I want to do the real bath thing. KWIM?  ;)

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2008, 09:06:55 AM »
We finally got some cod liver oil about 4 weeks PP and if I take a TBSP every evening I can handle even the most stressful days without a trace of tears.  :P :-[ Really, really agree w/ cod liver oil helping in PPD. Not sure if I have PPD though, or if it is just having 2 little boys under three and a baby with colic.  ;) I don't really feel depressed this time; not in comparison to what I struggled w/ after the birth of our first child.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 10:43:08 AM by boysmama »

Offline littlemama24

• Master
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2008, 09:17:11 AM »
Yeah, I have been taking one CLO pill and 2 EPOs every day now,and it seems to be helping.

Offline Leilani

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2008, 11:14:46 AM »
Anyone know if it is a serious problem if baby's cord stump starts bleeding?  She is 1 week old today and instead of the gooey yellow/brown around the dried up part, hers is bloody now.  She doesn't seem to be in pain and its not so bloody that it's soaking her clothes but I don't recall this happening with my boys... ???

Hey we are dealing withe the same thing! I don't remember the other kids having this problem either. I asked the nurse when she was here and she said no its totally fine and normal she said what you need to watch for is the area around the bellybutton on her stomach getting red and hot feeling, that would mean infection. Johanna's cord is hanging on by a tiny thread SOO gross! (full body shiver here!!) I am looking forward to it being gone. That same nurse said that homebirth cords come off the fastest cause they rub goldenseal root powder on them as soon as the are born. Anyone else heard of this? Thought it was interesting anyway.  I am having a hard time getting used to girl diaper changes!  :o there is so much more to clean there!

YoopreMama

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2008, 11:16:19 AM »
We did the goldenseal powder for our last cord care and it was amazing!

Offline Leilani

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2008, 06:33:32 PM »
SIGH!! I am having mastitis-ey feelings  >:( GRRRR! so I sloshed down some garlic right away and have been "working"  :D that side hard! Took some vitamin C too so hopefully I can stop this before it really starts!

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2008, 06:42:26 PM »
SIGH!! I am having mastitis-ey feelings  >:( GRRRR! so I sloshed down some garlic right away and have been "working"  :D that side hard! Took some vitamin C too so hopefully I can stop this before it really starts!

Got some cabbage handy?  Some women say it helps to put a cabbage leaf down in their bra.  But, then again, who likes to go to bed with a bra on?  :P