Author Topic: Post Partum Belly Wrapping  (Read 137003 times)

Offline littlewife

• Adept
Re: Post Partum Belly Wrapping
« Reply #120 on: March 09, 2009, 01:25:22 PM »
I'm so glad I saw this thread! I was thinking about this the other day. Actually, I was trying to find a picture or drawing of just where exactly my organs are going to end up by the time I'm 9 months preggo, and that led me to a sight about corseting (which is apparently a practice that is still alive and well) that I just had to check out, and then that led me to another sight about belly wrapping. It held my attention for about two seconds, and then I completely forgot that I meant to do more research about it. All that to say, thank you well tell me for reminding me. (I never really believed all those stories about losing brain power during pregnancy but it is so true.)
Okay, now that I have completely gone off topic... ::)
What about blood flow? My MIL expressed concern about that. I read the thread once, then talked with her about it, and then came back and read it again, to find the answer, but all I saw was that it helps with it.
I guess my question is how exactly does it help? In my mind I can picture it sort-of like the idea behind wringing the water out of a cloth...but is that even close?
I'm sorry if I missed the answer to my own question, but I really did read through this a couple times! Honest!

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #121 on: March 14, 2009, 08:32:28 AM »
I thought I'd post this link - an interview with Julie Tupler who wrote Lose Your Mummy Tummy - mentioned above - she describes how to do the exercises - though I can't say I get it.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56021&page=3

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2009, 05:17:45 PM »

What about blood flow? My MIL expressed concern about that. I read the thread once, then talked with her about it, and then came back and read it again, to find the answer, but all I saw was that it helps with it.

hmmmmm i'm not sure but i think you don't put it tight enough to effect blood flow. i am looking into this also soo any info is helpful!!

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2009, 05:35:32 PM »
I did some reading on this since I have a history of 'boggy uterus' (gotta love the nurses technical terms).  My uterus won't stay contracted so I leaked like crazy with my first 2-3 births before I figured it all out.

I intend to use a wrap post-partum this time and will monitor it's use with lots of stuff like this in mind - Is this too tight that I'm constricting?  Is this too loose that it's not even doing anything?  How are my innards doing in there?

I suspect that it just requires some awareness on the part of the wearer.  If I find I'm leaving serious pinch/vice-grip marks in all the pudge that spills out the top & bottom of the wrap - it's probably a good sign that I'm due for a review of what I'm doing.

I think it just takes some thought and maybe a second opinion from someone near that you trust (husband?) if you doubt what you see. 
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2009, 06:06:08 PM »
unlike many corset wearers who suffered through the agony for the "look"!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #125 on: March 15, 2009, 06:32:03 PM »
I found this in an old book and thought it should be added to the discussion....

After the tenth day, the abdominal binder may be pinned as tightly as the patient desires, but prior to the tenth day many physicians believe the exceedingly tight binder causes misplacements of the enlarged, softened, and boggy uterus. It should be pinned snugly; but not drawn as tight as possible with the idea of keeping the uterus from relaxing, for at best, it does not do it; while tight constriction may produce a serious turning or flexion of the uterus.

WR

I'm assuming you are talking about blood flow to the uterus and organs...... I posted the quote above, earlier in the thread, and believe it helps to understand how people used to do it, back when it was standard practice. Apparently, it was NOT put on super tight for the first 10 days, to prevent it from causing problems with the uterus getting back into the proper position. Then, after 10 days, you could put it on as tight as is comfortable. I would think that following the same procedure would prevent any "blood flow" problems to the uterus too.
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #126 on: March 21, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
So, any good results from those who have tried this AFTER the immediate postpartum time? Months, years, whatever, I'm curious if it's worked.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #127 on: March 22, 2009, 05:30:05 PM »
So, any good results from those who have tried this AFTER the immediate postpartum time? Months, years, whatever, I'm curious if it's worked.

bump.  I'm also wondering this.  I've been considering it to wear around during the day and while I workout but I had my last baby 7yrs ago.  Is it too late? 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #128 on: September 12, 2009, 08:47:09 AM »
I'd like to get one of these, but the belly bandits are so expensive.  What kinds did everyone buy and did they like them?

Offline MommyGus

• Mymanswoman
  • Adept
  • most of my kids
« Reply #129 on: September 12, 2009, 12:25:55 PM »
I used the ezywrap ma entioned eariler in this thread.  It did help a lot with cramping and bleeding.  I don't think it did much to help my figure though. If I had it to do over again, I would get a belly bandit, or a baby baboosh.  I think you get what you pay for.  I ordered the ezywrap because it was so much cheaper than the others.  I am thinking about getting a belly bandit, since I am only 3 months post partum.   Maybe there is still hope ;)
4yo DD: "Mom can I have a cookie?"
MommyGus: (being silly) "Say 'You are the best mom in the whole world'"
4yo DD: (being very sweet) "I love you Mom...In the best world...I love you"

Offline westernmama

• Adept
    • Cheap Pregnancy Tests
« Reply #130 on: September 12, 2009, 05:02:54 PM »
Thanks, Mommygus.  That's the kind of info I want to hear.  I certainly don't want to go cheaper and regret it.

Offline yasmine

• Adept
  • God is my strength and my shield!
« Reply #131 on: September 22, 2009, 03:07:11 PM »
wondering if pushing the intestines back in when you have  a umbilical heria is fine to keep doing ..its sooooo uncomfortable to wear the velcro wrap thing ugggg..

ANYONE? I know :-\sounds gross huh....

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #132 on: October 06, 2009, 01:04:18 PM »
So, I've been doing some research on belly wrapping, and the products that are available.  Crunchy, stiff velcro panels don't sound appealing...even the pricey ones.
And lets just say that the market for waist cincers gets a bit dicey.  :-[

BUT!  Since this is a practice that is hundreds of years old (at least!) it predates velcro, hook and eye, and polyester.  Thank you Lord, Amen.

Check out this video: it shows a woman wrapping with a 10" by 5 meters (about 4 3/4 yards) or longer of white cotton fabric. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU2thhFGnw4

The fabric is just the basic wrapping fabric that is used in Japan for diapering, binding the chest, etc...when wrapped for pregnancy and post pardum is called a hara obi. 
The cotton is breathable, and can be wrapped to fit any body type.  During pregnancy, the top is wrapped wider/looser, but still offering support.  During postpartum, it's wrapped evenly and snugly around the whole waist.  The woman in the video said that her fabric was stretchy on one end, but I don't think that's traditional.

I found the second post by Xanthius very helpful:
http://community.babycenter.com/post/a4082505/maternity_support_belts
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 01:07:01 PM by hi_itsgwen »
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline all4him

• Adept
« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2009, 07:01:20 AM »
I got a slightly used bamboo one on ebay-- i wore it most of the time during the day the first week after my baby was here-- he's 1 1/2 weeks old and i still wear it some-- the bamboo does not tend to roll -- its so soft and most times comfy. I added a few more strips of velcro so i wouldnt have to buy a smaller size.As for the crunchy stiff velcro-- it's supposed to be on your side so it hasnt bothered me much at all! Also the after birth pains were very few and mild! never connected it to the belly bandit till someone mentioned it on here. I say its the way to go-- and get bamboo if at all poss!
The Joy of the Lord is my Strength!

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #134 on: January 21, 2010, 03:42:27 AM »
This is not belly wrapping so I should probably start a new thread, but it is a solution to the same problem. This article helps you diagnose the abdominal split (diastasis recti) which has been mentioned throughout this thread, and, more importantly, gives you several exercises to help fix it. Most articles just tell you to buy their book (or get plastic surgery) so this one is the first one I've found that is actually helpful. It says 50 times a day for a week should get rid of your diastasis recti, that's not bad!

http://health.howstuffworks.com/how-diastasis-works2.htm

Offline nick-hemilt

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2012, 11:56:00 PM »
Hello there, I studied the reviews of many women as they experienced wearing abdominal binder as saying Belly Wrapping and it provides relief to them. These binders are also known as bandit belly as part of pregnant women to wrap stomach. It is very comfortable for wearing and helps a lot in many ways.

bandit belly