Author Topic: MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane)  (Read 30623 times)

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane)
« on: July 29, 2006, 04:42:53 PM »
So- MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) appears to be more wonderful than I first had thought.  Anyone know more about this?

MSM General Information
    MSM is a derivative of dimethysulfoxide (DMSO) and has many of the same therapeutic properties, especially in the healing of injuries. Methylsulfonylmethane contains sulfur, which is an essential mineral that helps the body heal itself. MSM is found naturally in foods such as fresh fish, plants, meat, fruit, and milk; however, it is often eliminated through processing. North Americans today eat large amount of processed foods, which means there is either very little MSM in the average daily diet, or none at all.

MSM Uses & Scientific Evidence For
    MSM detoxifies the body on a cellular level, and provides nourishment to the hair, skin, and nails. MSM helps relieve pain and inflammation, reduces allergy problems, and promotes gastrointestinal health. It boosts immune function and in some cases, has been beneficial for heartburn, arthritis, lung problems, migraines, and muscle pain. Some have reported that MSM has eliminated wrinkles, brown spots, skin tumors, and spider veins.[/list]

G

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
    • Administrator
    • Guru
    • administrator
      • wouldn't you like to know?
    Re: MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane)
    « Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 04:47:34 PM »
    MSM is a derivative of dimethysulfoxide (DMSO)

I know my dad says that DMSO rocks for muscle pain, although I think they only sell it for horses ;)  He says the stuff moves through your blood stream so fast that you can taste it shortly after applying it to your skin.   :P
      My favorite herb book!!

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
    « Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 05:29:49 AM »
    Yes, I have heard of it.  I'm going to buy some from Vibrant Life for my husband.  He has terrible hip pain and along with painful joints.  I'm praying that this will be the last resort to put an end to his agonizing pain!!  I will let you know if it helps him.  I have read several testimonials from people on the website.  Let me see if I can find the website.....I think I got it from Beetifool sp?
    "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it(Prov. 22:6).

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
    « Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 05:31:39 AM »
    This is a wonderful website on MSM: www.chelationtherapyonline.com
    "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it(Prov. 22:6).

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
    « Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 06:08:36 AM »
    Yes, I have heard of it.  I'm going to buy some from Vibrant Life for my husband.  He has terrible hip pain and along with painful joints.  I'm praying that this will be the last resort to put an end to his agonizing pain!!  I will let you know if it helps him.  I have read several testimonials from people on the website.  Let me see if I can find the website.....I think I got it from Beetifool sp?

I will be interested in seeing the site.  I have come to believe for my own use, that the purity of the MSM is important, and being able to buy it in bulk is very nice on the wallet (or purse).  The cheapest source I have found (and the purest), is the one my mother researched out which is included in the first post.

G

PS

It appears that the Vibrant Life (Karl Loren) site becomes cheaper than the link I posted when you are buying at 25 lbs (11kg) or more at a time- up to that point, the site I listed above is cheaper.  Both claim to be "pure" MSM.  Here is the price list for the Karl Loren MSM:

http://www.bulkmsm.com/prices.htm

Wow- just wow.  Read it for yourself:

http://www.bulkmsm.com/research/msm/msm12.htm

G
    « Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 04:52:02 PM by gusoceros »

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
    « Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 01:00:46 PM »
    My OptiMSM came in today, and it says on the bag to work up to about 6-8 teaspoons a day for several weeks, then to drop back to 1-2 teaspoons a day.  This stuff has NO flavor mixed in a glass of water- even my skeptical wife said she couldnt taste anything.  I am adjusting the dosage, to see what is best to get started with- Im thinking about 2 teaspoons a day, given my size- about 250 lbs.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
    « Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 06:14:07 PM »
    I have not heard of MSM in powder form.  I've been taking it in pills (horse pills I might add) for a long time.  It's very helpful with joint pain.  When I had surgery on a toe joint it seemed like it hurt forever (even months after the surgery).  I started taking MSM right after the surgery trying to help the pain naturally and it worked very well.  Is the powder supposed to be used as a salve or drink internally or both?  Thanks

Patti
    For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
    « Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 01:12:04 AM »
    Patti- it can be used for both- it is the same (maybe even more pure at 99.9) as the capsules, just without the capsule.  You can buy bulk bags of capsules as well from the link I noted above in the first post.

G

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
    « Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 04:49:18 PM »
    Just wanted to let everyone know what a great product MSM is.  My husband started taking the capsules as soon as I got them in the mail.  He noticed a difference with his chronic hip in like two days!!   Try the website and see for yourself www.bulkmsm.com.  It is amazing stuff!!  It is the purest MSM I know so far and the cheapest!  If you suffer from chronic pain or need a great metal detoxifier this is the stuff for  you.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
    • Administrator
    • Guru
    • administrator
      My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
    • Administrator
    • Guru
    • administrator
    « Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 05:41:28 AM »
    If I wanted some MSM, could I find a version at Walmart to help hubby with a torn muscle until I can get him a better brand?
      My favorite herb book!!

Offline LKS

• Master
    « Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 07:54:17 AM »
    We buy glucosamine with MSM from Walmart. My husband has an old football injury to his shoulder that is very painful when he forgets to take his MSM. He continually proves how well this stuff works because he will forget to take his vitamins with him when he travels and he hurts! He comes home and starts taking it and he is fine. I am sure the Walmart brand is frowned upon by the purists in this forum but it works well for us. Hope that helps, HB. :D
    LKS

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
    • Administrator
    • Guru
    • administrator
    « Reply #12 on: November 11, 2006, 10:07:32 AM »
    We buy glucosamine with MSM from Walmart. My husband has an old football injury to his shoulder that is very painful when he forgets to take his MSM. He continually proves how well this stuff works because he will forget to take his vitamins with him when he travels and he hurts! He comes home and starts taking it and he is fine. I am sure the Walmart brand is frowned upon by the purists in this forum but it works well for us. Hope that helps, HB. :D
    LKS
    Yes, yes it does, thank you.  How long before he notices a difference?  How much should he take.  According to a site I read, the recommended dosage on many commercial brands is too low.  This site said 1000-2000 mg per day.  What does your husband think?
      My favorite herb book!!

burlsgirl

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2006, 10:59:16 AM »
    This is a little of the topic of joint pain, but a lady I know who is the ultimate naturalist says that every year her grandmother would take her & all the cousins onto her farm and give them sulpher and blackstrap molasses. She said it was the ultimate total cleanse. She is currently looking for a new supplier of liquid MSM as hers stopped carrying it. I don't know the science or how it would work w/ powdered MSM, but there is a side reference note about sulpher & molasses as a healer in the NT book. Apparently, this is an old timey remedy for elimating toxins. She says it's her first option every time to detox anyone, any age.

Just chiming in.

Emily

Offline LKS

• Master
    « Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 06:52:52 PM »
    LKS
    Yes, yes it does, thank you.  How long before he notices a difference?  How much should he take.  According to a site I read, the recommended dosage on many commercial brands is too low.  This site said 1000-2000 mg per day.  What does your husband think?

HB,
    He thought it was a couple of weeks before he noticed the initial improvement, but if he misses a day or two now he feels bad right away. He takes 1500mg of MSM and 1500mg of glucosamine daily. So that's like 3 pills a day of the brand we have.

LKS

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
    « Reply #15 on: December 09, 2006, 04:48:14 AM »
    LKS

Hi guys- Im really glad that MSM is so helpful for you- You might consider for the sake of money, buying bulk.  It doesnt matter who sells it- it is simple stuff.  When you buy it in little bottles from a store- you are paying huge amounts of overhead for the product.  The 2 links I posted towards the beginning of this thread, provide some great sources to get the product in bulk (powder or capsules) as well as bulk glucosamine.  If you are a long term taker of the product, you would likely see a very large savings in your pocket book by considering getting these products in bulk- you can also play with the dosages of both products this way as well.

G

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
    « Reply #16 on: December 09, 2006, 04:56:28 AM »
    SC- that is great news on the use of DMSO.  Thanks for posting it.  For those that are interested, my joint pain is essentially gone.  I have the normal aches and pains that come from a 38 yo man playing at life like a 16 yo, but hey- this is good right?  ;D

I have stopped taking the MSM several months ago, and I wish I hadnt- I have just felt fine, and had forgotten to take it.  I had wanted to work on cleansing at higher doses of MSM- but I have not been able to remember to take it long term- yes, its lame.

Its the first thing I reach for though, if I am really sore from a hard workout- having essentially sworn off ibuprofen for aches and pains.

G

Offline SC

• Guru
    • Ephesians 5:2
      • Lexington Slim
    « Reply #17 on: December 09, 2006, 05:05:14 AM »
    I have stopped taking the MSM several months ago, and I wish I hadnt- I have just felt fine, and had forgotten to take it.  I had wanted to work on cleansing at higher doses of MSM- but I have not been able to remember to take it long term- yes, its lame.

G - I wonder if this is required for long term applications unless the condition is persistent. In other words, if the application is for the purpose of repair (as in an injury or infection), this may be one of those tools that is useful for short term and not necessary for long term application. What do you think?

Also, I am understanding that MSM is a derivative of DMSO. Am I correct in that? What, if any, benefit is there in using one product as opposed to the other? For now, I am of the opinion that we are satisfied with the benefit received from the DMSO. We haven't tried the MSM.
    I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
    See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
    • Administrator
    • Guru
    • administrator
    « Reply #18 on: December 09, 2006, 05:19:33 AM »
    Also, I am understanding that MSM is a derivative of DMSO. Am I correct in that? What, if any, benefit is there in using one product as opposed to the other?
    The previous article I posted explains some of this and yes, MSM is derivative of DMSO and no, I'm not gusoceros.  ;D
      My favorite herb book!!

Offline Ami H.

• Adept
    « Reply #19 on: December 09, 2006, 06:04:54 AM »
    Earlier in the thread, it was mentioned that MSM is derived from sulfur.  Any ideas if it would have a negative affect on someone with a sulfa drug allergy?  (think hives, really, really itchy hives...........everywhere :-[)  I am not sure I want to chance it, but some relief from this back pain would be awesome.
    ...I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord...Phil 3:7-11

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
    « Reply #20 on: December 09, 2006, 07:11:59 AM »
    Earlier in the thread, it was mentioned that MSM is derived from sulfur.  Any ideas if it would have a negative affect on someone with a sulfa drug allergy?  (think hives, really, really itchy hives...........everywhere :-[)  I am not sure I want to chance it, but some relief from this back pain would be awesome.

Well, I dont know much about allergic reactions- and I would defer to someone that knows more about medicine in these areas than me.  I will however, give you my free opinion as an average Joe  ;)

MSM is naturally occuring, and you get it in fruits and vegetables already (as well as other sources as noted below).  Your body needs sulfur to function:

NATURAL SOURCES OF MSM

MSM is the natural form in which sulfur is found in the earth's sulfur cycle (3). Algae and several forms of plankton in oceans are capable of absorbing massive amounts of inorganic sulfur from seawater, and to convert this into a simple, organically-bound form.  When these algae and planktonic organisms die, enzymatic processes result in the breakdown of the organic molecules into DMS, or Dimethylsulfide. This compound is volatile and poorly soluble in water. It collects in the stratosphere, where it is oxidized under the influence of ultraviolet light into DMSO (Dimethylsulfoxide), and further converted into MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane). DMSO and MSM are highly soluble in water, and therefore concentrate easily in atmospheric water vapor, returning to earth in the form of rain. Plant roots rapidly collect and concentrate these sulfur sources. Laboratory research has shown, that a one ppm mixture of radioactive labeled DMSO and MSM, can concentrate hundred fold in plant roots within hours (4).

Rainwater in particular therefore contains a lot of MSM. It is also abundantly found in fresh fruit and vegetables in amounts generally ranging from 1 to 4 mg/kg (3). Raw milk from cows which graze in pastures contains 2 to 5 mg/kg MSM. Due to the volatile nature of MSM, it is rapidly lost due to heating during the preparation of food. It is also lost when vegetables and fruit are left for a period of time, heated or not. Pasturized milk therefore contains less than 0.25 mg/kg MSM, roughly the same amount as found in milk from cows fed dried, artificial food (3). Due to our present day's dietary patterns, it is unavoidable that modern man suffers from a chronic shortage of MSM.

MSM AND HUMAN HEALTH

The natural level of MSM in the circulatory system of an adult human male is about 0.2 mg/kg. Normal adults excrete 4 to 11 mg MSM per day in their urine. Several studies suggest, that the systemic concentration of MSM drops in mammals with increasing age, possibly as a result of changing diet or body metabolism. Some research suggests, that there is a minimum concentration of MSM that must be maintained in the body to preserve the normal function and structure (8, 9). Low concentrations of MSM in our bodies have been linked with unspecified complaints of fatigue, depression, high sensitivity to physical and psychological stress, and with a large number of degenerative diseases (5, 6). MSM is an important source of sulfur, but also has unique properties related to its chemical structure and biological activities. To understand the preventive and therapeutic properties of MSM, a distinction needs to be made between "why humans need sulfur" vs. "why humans need MSM".[/list]

While I was in Survival School for the USAF, they taught us a technique with which to test a new plant source to see if it was edible, in a survival situation.  Try a little bit, and see if you have a reaction (real small dose), and incrementally increase the dosages.  My guess though, is that you will likely not have a reaction because MSM is naturally occuring, and you are already getting it in your food- naturally though, in smaller doses.

G

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
      « Reply #21 on: December 09, 2006, 08:14:14 AM »

G - I wonder if this is required for long term applications unless the condition is persistent. In other words, if the application is for the purpose of repair (as in an injury or infection), this may be one of those tools that is useful for short term and not necessary for long term application. What do you think?

Also, I am understanding that MSM is a derivative of DMSO. Am I correct in that? What, if any, benefit is there in using one product as opposed to the other? For now, I am of the opinion that we are satisfied with the benefit received from the DMSO. We haven't tried the MSM.

I think that long term there are 2 main benefits, 1) MSM is a detoxifier at the cellular level, and has a feature of increasing the utilization of vitamins, and 2) it is thought to be an inhibitor of various AI diseases or reactions.  So, I think that long term, there is significant benefit, in addition to being a good source for the immediate soreness.

Yes, MSM is a derivative of DMSO, and is the form of it occuring naturally in our food, as I understand it.

G

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
      • Administrator
      • Guru
      • administrator
      « Reply #22 on: January 31, 2007, 05:20:37 AM »
      This thread started leaning toward the DMSO topic, so I moved those replies and responses to the DMSO thread.
        My favorite herb book!!

cecac

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2007, 02:07:47 PM »
      Hello,

I am considering MSM for chronic back pain.  I am wondering if anyone knows of the connection to insulin production.  Has anyone taking this noticed improvements in sugar levels?  Has anyone noticed more fatigue, or trouble metabolizing carbs after you took it for a while?

I am concerned that MSM might increase insulin production.  That's one thing I'm trying to avoid.

In the articles I have been reading, MSM seems to help diabetics.  I know it helps with the cell walls, so I am wondering if it would actually help insulin resistance or make it worse? :-\

Thank you,
      Cara

cecac

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2007, 02:26:40 AM »
      Bump-thank you

Offline morningglory

• Adept
      « Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 06:51:57 PM »
      http://www.msmguide.com/msm-facts/safety.html

I recently stumbled onto this supplement (thansk floydian!) and have been reading good things about it.  We're ahving a hard time carrying a baby full term due to auotimmunity.  According to this link, MSM can help resolve autoimmuntiy by putting a mucosal covering over the lining of the intestines, keeping toxins from leaking into the bloodstream.  It also reduces inflammation, and lessens allergic responses, both of which are part of autoimmunity.  According to this site, the only problems have been minor, and sound like die-off to me.

What do ya'll think about taking this during pregnancy?  There aren't any studies I know about on its effects during pregnancy.  If I'm understanding right, this is a naturally occurring nutrient.  My thought so far is that, if MSM does in fact help to resolve immunity while the leaky gut is healing, the benefit would outweigh a moderate risk.  Is there any way this could cause problems for me? 

Offline MamaKate

• Adept
      « Reply #26 on: February 12, 2008, 08:05:54 PM »
      http://www.msmguide.com/msm-facts/safety.html

I recently stumbled onto this supplement (thansk floydian!) and have been reading good things about it.  We're ahving a hard time carrying a baby full term due to auotimmunity.  According to this link, MSM can help resolve autoimmuntiy by putting a mucosal covering over the lining of the intestines, keeping toxins from leaking into the bloodstream.  It also reduces inflammation, and lessens allergic responses, both of which are part of autoimmunity.  According to this site, the only problems have been minor, and sound like die-off to me.

What do ya'll think about taking this during pregnancy?  There aren't any studies I know about on its effects during pregnancy.  If I'm understanding right, this is a naturally occurring nutrient.  My thought so far is that, if MSM does in fact help to resolve immunity while the leaky gut is healing, the benefit would outweigh a moderate risk.  Is there any way this could cause problems for me? 

I read the book The Miracle of MSM by Stanley Jacob, M.D., a year or so ago, and it seems like it said you shouldn't start taking it while pregnant or nursing due to the de-toxifying effects of MSM.  However, if you were already taking it I think it was OK.  I was pregnant at the time, so I just put it off as something to think about later...now I'm nursing ::).  The book was at our library and was very informative.  You might want to look for it to find out for sure. 
      Mama to 6 Beautiful Bessings!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
      « Reply #27 on: February 12, 2008, 08:57:23 PM »
      Hello,

I am considering MSM for chronic back pain.  I am wondering if anyone knows of the connection to insulin production.  Has anyone taking this noticed improvements in sugar levels?  Has anyone noticed more fatigue, or trouble metabolizing carbs after you took it for a while?

I am concerned that MSM might increase insulin production.  That's one thing I'm trying to avoid.

In the articles I have been reading, MSM seems to help diabetics.  I know it helps with the cell walls, so I am wondering if it would actually help insulin resistance or make it worse? :-\

Thank you,
      Cara

Cara,

I have "about to be diabetic" stamped on my forehead as a result of pancreas damage in pregnancy.   I've been taking MSM for years for an autoimmune disease and other stuff.  I've not noticed that it's "helped" my insulin resistance but I know it hasn't made it worse.  And, maybe it has helped and I just don't know it.  I don't test my BS very often anymore.  I LOVE MSM.  It is a terrific supplement.  I have also taken it for joint pain where I had some hand and foot surgery and it's great.  It can take a few days for it to work if you've had chronic pain but my husband noticed a difference immediately one day when he took it for a hurt thumb. 

hth

patti
      For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline morningglory

• Adept
      « Reply #28 on: February 13, 2008, 06:49:56 AM »
      ANybody know of a really reputable place to buy this from?  I usually buy supplements from NOW, but Gusoceros said he buys it in bulk. ???  I need to make sure it's pretty pure.  NOW brand is 99.7% pure.  And what are your thoughts on giving this to children in appropriate amounts?

Offline gusoceros

• Adept
      « Reply #29 on: May 18, 2008, 04:06:49 PM »
      ANybody know of a really reputable place to buy this from?  I usually buy supplements from NOW, but Gusoceros said he buys it in bulk. ???  I need to make sure it's pretty pure.  NOW brand is 99.7% pure.  And what are your thoughts on giving this to children in appropriate amounts?

http://www.msm-msm.com/

OptiMSM- in bulk, 99.9% pure.

Enjoy!