Author Topic: Oatmeal Cake Recipes  (Read 9519 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Oatmeal Cake Recipes
« on: February 20, 2008, 11:08:08 AM »

Yep, oatmeal cake. Deeeelicious! But it needs to be converted to a healtier version so I haven't made it in a long while. Anyway, here it is.

Leftover Oatmeal Cake

Cream together:
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs 1 egg
1 tsp of vanilla
2 cups (more or less) leftover oatmeal

Sift together:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda 
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. of cinnamon.

Add to creamed mixture and beat well. Pour into greased and floured 9 x 13 cake pan. Bake 35 minutes or until tests done.

For a great topping combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup margarine, 1/4 cup cream or milk, 1/2 cup chopped nuts and 1 cup coconut. Spread on hot cake and broil 2 - 4 minutes until brown. Watch closely. This is yummy! It is very rich and moist so serve in small pieces.

I have done the topping without the nuts and coconut and it was still great!

Oh! and yes, you can use regular salt in the crockpot oatmeal.
WR
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
Re: Oatmeal Cake Recipes
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 11:16:21 AM »
This recipe looked really good except it seemed like a lot of sugar to me, so here's the recipe I used in case anyone is interested and BTW, what a great idea WR.  Very yummy.

Keep in mind, when I make oatmeal, I tend to make it very dry so that when we add milk, it's not soupy.  I also presweetened it so I had to make adjustments for the sugar when I made it, but I listed the full amount in the recipe.

My oatmeal is is 6 cups of water to 4 cups of oats.  This isn't the normal recipe so I added milk to the recipe below to make up for the lack of wetness.

2 cups oatmeal (or 1 1/4 c boiling water and 1 cup quick oats -- if you use this, the recipe said you have to let it soak for a bit)
1/2 cup butter softened
3/4 cup brown sugar (I used 1/2 because of the presweet)
3/4 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder (this recipe didn't have it, but I added it because it was in WR recipe and this cake is very dense.  needs all the help it can get to rise well)
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup milk (not needed if your oatmeal is wet)

Cream wet stuff and mix dry stuff in separate bowls.  Then add flour mix to wet stuff and mix well.  Spread in greased/floured 9X13 pan and bake for 25-30 minutes at 350o or until toothpick is clean.

I found another one I'm going to try as soon as I get some chocolate chips.

2 cups oatmeal
1/3 c butter
1/3 c applesauce
3/4 c brown sugar
1/2 c white sugar
1 heaping T cocoa powder unsweet
2 eggs
1 3/4 c all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips

Do everything the same and fold in chips last.  Bake for 40-50 minutes at 305o.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 06:28:05 AM »
Just a quick question about WR's original recipe.  It states "2 eggs 1 egg" in the same line.  Was this a typo or some sort of special way of adding the eggs?  :D  I am assuming that the 2 eggs works, since it is in HB's recipe, too.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 06:46:28 AM »
Just a quick question about WR's original recipe.  It states "2 eggs 1 egg" in the same line.  Was this a typo or some sort of special way of adding the eggs?  :D  I am assuming that the 2 eggs works, since it is in HB's recipe, too.
I think she forgot to delete the conversions for a smaller recipe.  It's 2 eggs for this size and 1 egg for another size. ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 07:09:34 AM »
Yeah, I'll go with HB's explanation! Especially since it's been so long since I put that recipe in my files that I can't remember how the 2 egg 1 egg thing happened.  ;D

Oh! HB, our oatmeal was always very thick too (for the same reason), but I never bothered to thin it for the recipe and it work great. I also reduced the sugar because our oatmeal was already sweetened.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 08:52:10 AM »
I'm gonna try this today.  My oatmeal has chopped prunes in it... I hope it'll still be good...

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 09:49:23 AM »
I'm gonna try this today.  My oatmeal has chopped prunes in it... I hope it'll still be good...
alot of the recipes I ran across called for raisins so I think this would work fine.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 10:00:52 AM »
Success!  Even the non-lovers of oatmeal in the house enjoyed this - prunes and all!  ;D Thanks for the recipe

Offline joyful_mommy03

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 10:06:19 AM »
Whiterock has great recipes!!  I made the crock pot oatmeal with the apple pie filling that she posted on the "healthy crock pot recipes" thread and then had leftovers.  She gave me this recipe and I made a double batch of the cake with it - everyone loved it - like you said littlemama, even the non-oatmeal lovers!!

(I wasn't sure about the egg thing too - since I was making a double batch, I just put in 5 eggs altogether and it was great.)

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 10:15:29 AM »
Thanks.  :-*
I'm glad I posted a lot of them here and other places online because I lost my recipe file when our computer crashed last month.  :-[ :'( I do have a stack of them that I had previously printed out, but it is so much easier to bring them up on the computer than to dig thru the basket of loose recipes.

WR
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 11:47:51 AM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline joyful_mommy03

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 11:46:01 AM »
We should start a "Whiterock's Recipes" thread!!

Offline orcuttranch

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 11:13:18 AM »
This is hilarious!  I was going to come on here thinking I was so smart and apparently I am behind the times!  That is what I get for thinking I was so smart, I guess.  ;D

I looked at our leftover oatmeal this morning and thought it was the consistency of the bananas that I just made banana bread with.  So I substituted the oatmeal for the bananas in my recipe and everyone loved it.  I'll post it here anyway in case anyone wants it.  We made ours into muffins.

1 1/4 cups sugar (could probably use honey, but I only had raw and wasn't going to "waste it" baking with it)
1/2 cup butter
2 large eggs
1 1/2 - 2 cups oatmeal (ours had dried cranberries in it, so I added a few more, too)
1/2 cup buttermilk (I used Kefir and upped it to 3/4 cup)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour (used white whole wheat from Trader Joes)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup chopped nuts, if desired (I don't desire!!  :P)

Heat oven to 400 degrees.
Grease muffin cups.
Mix sugar and butter in large bowl.  Stir in eggs until well blended.  Add oatmeal, buttermilk, and vanilla.  Beat until smooth.  Stir in flour, baking soda and salt just until moistened.  Stir in the nuts.  Pour into muffin tins.  Bake about 15 min.

If you want to make it into a loaf style bread, heat oven to 350 degrees and bake for approx 1 hour to 1 hour 15 min.  Depends on the size of your loaf pans.

I don't pre-sweeten my oatmeal when I do it in the crockpot.  We add honey when we dish it up.  So if your oatmeal is pre-sweetened, you might want to alter the recipe a little to account for that. 

Everyone loved it!