Author Topic: Recurrent Illness in Spite of Healthy Living: Troubleshooting  (Read 33766 times)

Offline CountyCork

• Master
Recurrent Illness in Spite of Healthy Living: Troubleshooting
« on: February 19, 2008, 10:55:30 AM »
Here is a question with no answer, apparently.  And HB, don't tell me to go to the immune boosting thread, we are doing it ALL!   ;)

WHY, if we are taking good stuff, eating good stuff, and boosting our immune systems, are we getting sick EVERY month? 

Our only "major" deal was the high fever and cough FLU in January.  All others have been trifiling colds with fine energy and sleep, etc.  But, still sick.

WHY WHY WHY?  I am a root problem kind of girl.  And this is not normal for our family. 

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 11:12:20 AM »
Here is a question with no answer, apparently.  And HB, don't tell me to go to the immune boosting thread, we are doing it ALL!   ;)

WHY, if we are taking good stuff, eating good stuff, and boosting our immune systems, are we getting sick EVERY month? 

Our only "major" deal was the high fever and cough FLU in January.  All others have been trifiling colds with fine energy and sleep, etc.  But, still sick.

WHY WHY WHY?  I am a root problem kind of girl.  And this is not normal for our family. 
This sounds like our family this Winter too :( I haven't figured it out. I know other families who have been the same way recently. I hadn't been to the doc for a sick visit in over five years and I even had to go in this past January. We've literally been sick off and on with about a week of health in between since September. I just started treating us all of leaky gut figuring it wouldn't hurt.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 11:15:44 AM by grocerygetter »

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 11:15:18 AM »

All others have been trifiling colds with fine energy and sleep, etc.  But, still sick.

Ditto

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 11:49:14 AM »

The question may have an answer but you were too vague for me to formulate an answer, so you were probably right in assuming that I would have sent you there for lack of information.  ;D

Give me details and I'll attempt to direct you if I can. :D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 12:26:01 PM »

The question may have an answer but you were too vague for me to formulate an answer, so you were probably right in assuming that I would have sent you there for lack of information.  ;D

Ok, HB-friend, here goes!
We are catching every mild upper respitory virus about monthly.  Not everyone every time, and me only twice, but EVERY month since August. 

We've never had any allergies or asthma, no food allergies, all have good digestion.  We eat good bacteria almost daily, plus take it as a supplement.  We take CLO every day.  Good vitamins (beeyoutiful).  We don't drink juice or pop, we drink raw milk.  We eat meat, grains, dairy and fruits and veggies - all organic.  The all organic thing is new since January 1, but prior to that we had a way above average diet.  No one has any skin issues (those were resolved with CLO and home made soaps).

What's new with us?  We moved last January, so we've been here a year.  There is NO mold, lead paint of asbestos.  Water could be the issue - city water.  Sometimes we filter, but we need to buy a new filter.  Waiting for uncle sam's refund in the next week or two.  Anyway, I know we're getting flouride, chlorine and probably arsenic we never had before.  We were on a well two years prior, but city again before that.  We've NEVER had a winter like this!  Every month?  It simply doesn't happen here.

Any brilliant notions?  Enough info?  Thanks for the offer to help!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 03:36:49 PM »
You said you moved.  How far?  Maybe you developed allergies to the local pollens?  Bee pollen and propolis and honey from a local source is supposed to help with this.

How much difference in climate change?  Are you keeping the house and/or people too warm (breeding germs)?

What about the arsenic?  Do you have reason to believe you have this in your water?

How much chlorine?  This can reverse the good effects of the good bacteria.

Is yeast even a possibility?  It wasn't my first thought in your case, but it's still a possibility.  Ever take antibiotics?  The kids?  Ever treat for yeast and/or parasites?  What about leaky gut?  (You don't have to have food allergies to have leaky gut).

What about the lymph?  Could your lymph system be overloaded from your "previous life"?  Chlorophyll works wonders for this.  (Watch it on the iron).  ;D

Liver congestion?  Same as previous question.

Food digestion?  Same as previous question.  Maybe look into enzymes.  Malnutrition (lack of vitamins because of problems breaking down foods).

I really don't know the answer, but these are all of the things that came to mind.

One last thought.  I've noticed that the healthier I get, the more sensitive I am to toxins, so if you all were very healthy before the move and suddenly became germ magnets, then I would guess that you're getting some new toxin and your body is very sensitive to it.  This is good, it means that your body is doing it's job, but you'll need to find the source, or you'll eventually get less "sensitive" to it and it will become more difficult to find the trigger before it causes you more problems.

We are catching every mild upper respitory virus about monthly.  Not everyone every time, and me only twice, but EVERY month since August. 

We've never had any allergies or asthma, no food allergies, all have good digestion.  We eat good bacteria almost daily, plus take it as a supplement.  We take CLO every day.  Good vitamins (beeyoutiful).  We don't drink juice or pop, we drink raw milk.  We eat meat, grains, dairy and fruits and veggies - all organic.  The all organic thing is new since January 1, but prior to that we had a way above average diet.  No one has any skin issues (those were resolved with CLO and home made soaps).

What's new with us?  We moved last January, so we've been here a year.  There is NO mold, lead paint of asbestos.  Water could be the issue - city water.  Sometimes we filter, but we need to buy a new filter.  Waiting for uncle sam's refund in the next week or two.  Anyway, I know we're getting flouride, chlorine and probably arsenic we never had before.  We were on a well two years prior, but city again before that.  We've NEVER had a winter like this!  Every month?  It simply doesn't happen here.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 03:40:20 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 06:21:46 PM »
You said you moved.  How far?  Maybe you developed allergies to the local pollens?  Bee pollen and propolis and honey from a local source is supposed to help with this.We lived an hour west, and are now in the area we lived two years previously.  So with the exception of 2 years in "the country" we have always lived in a 10 mile area.

How much difference in climate change?  Are you keeping the house and/or people too warm (breeding germs)? No climate change, 68 F during day, 60 at night.

What about the arsenic?  Do you have reason to believe you have this in your water?Need to test, for sure.

How much chlorine?  This can reverse the good effects of the good bacteria.

Is yeast even a possibility?  It wasn't my first thought in your case, but it's still a possibility.  Ever take antibiotics?  The kids?  Ever treat for yeast and/or parasites?  What about leaky gut?  (You don't have to have food allergies to have leaky gut).  Kids never been on antibiotics - all 6 never!  Me, it's been many years.

What about the lymph?  Could your lymph system be overloaded from your "previous life"?  Chlorophyll works wonders for this.  (Watch it on the iron).  ;D  Previous life of alcohol and such are 18+ years.  Junk food has been gone for several years, but organic is new.

Liver congestion?  Same as previous question.

Food digestion?  Same as previous question.  Maybe look into enzymes.  Malnutrition (lack of vitamins because of problems breaking down foods).Always been healthy, energetic, full of life and good color, etc.

I really don't know the answer, but these are all of the things that came to mind.

One last thought.  I've noticed that the healthier I get, the more sensitive I am to toxins, so if you all were very healthy before the move and suddenly became germ magnets, then I would guess that you're getting some new toxin and your body is very sensitive to it.  This is good, it means that your body is doing it's job, but you'll need to find the source, or you'll eventually get less "sensitive" to it and it will become more difficult to find the trigger before it causes you more problems.  This certainly could be the deal.  We really can only pinpoint the water.  Well water before here, and then before that was different "city."  But the whole house filter soon to come will help!

Thank you so much, HB, for all the good questions.  I will consider the yeast thing and look through the threads for symptoms and ideas.  You're a real pal, even with a "poopy" start to your day!

Offline cjanderin

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 11:34:37 PM »

What about some kind of plant that is growing nearby that you have become allergic to? 
Or the supplements - could you have developed a sensitivity to one of your supplements?  Or maybe you have too much of something in your body (like something that you have now gotten too much of from the supplements ) and it's reacting?
Or something that the cows are eating (and going into the raw milk) that you are sensitive to?

Hope you work it out ...
If it makes you feel better I just had two months straight of getting a "cold" every Friday night, feeling grotty all Saturday and getting better Sunday - EVERY WEEK for two months!! 
Still not sure what it was but we suspect that I have developed a sensitivity to wine because we had friends over for dinner and a wine every Friday for quite a while.  Not a fool-proof solution though since I can have wine sometimes with no reaction and one or two of those Fridays I got sick and hadn't had any wine.  So pretty clueless really  ???  ::)

Erin :)  Wifey to Chris and mummy to Marcail (10), Alex (8), Joel (6), Timothy (4), Zipporah (3) and Jeremiah (8months).

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
Re: Recurrent Illness in Spite of Healthy Living: Troubleshooting
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 07:04:10 AM »
I am wondering about something, well two things...

One is that we switched churches last July (07) and I'm curious about the cleanliness of the toys and nursery there. I'm pretty sure they're not clean.

Two is that we were very blessed to move into new home last January (08) that is carpeted. I'm curious about the cleanliness of our carpet. Unfortunately hardwood flooring is *not* in the budget. I am working on borrowing a cleaner from a friend who uses a homemade cleaning solution including essential oils and such for germ killing power that won't leave behind nasty chemicals for my kids to play on :)

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 07:14:19 AM »
My opinion is that it seems the viruses going around since last fall have been much more aggressive than in the past. 
I have seen many people who have been very sick during this time period and those who eat/live healthier are benefitting by getting over them much more quickly than those who don't.
I don't know if this is a mutation of previous viruses due to presciption antibiotics or related to something within the environment/ wind patterns/currents/ food modification/addititive/etc... There are a ton of theories, I'm sure.
To personally put things into perspective I like to think back to about 100 years ago though... they ate great and lived active lives... their lives and diets were what we are often trying to emulate here, but people then still got sick and died. 
Sometimes what is going around is just particularly aggressive and tenacious like it has been this year.... be glad if you are one of those healthy enough that you are able to bounce back so quickly and not be more debilitated by the illness around you.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 08:59:50 AM by Mrs. B »

Offline Wing

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 08:05:51 AM »
Just wanted to add that we are doing all the right things healthwise too, yet have been "catching" every cold/flu since before Christmas.  It was getting so old I didn't want to take the kids ANYWHERE anymore (especially church) because if someone was around with a runny nose or cough, sure enough, my kids and I would have the same thing in a couple of days.  The only way to keep us from getting sick has been staying at home and away from people, but that's not always an option.  It bothers me, because it doesn't seem we should be brought down so easily. 

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 08:46:59 AM »
I'm with you all.  Our family has been sick almost constantly since the beginning of January.   For years (4?) we've hardly caught a thing.  We've really been pretty healthy.  Now we are ALL 6 constantly sick!  We've all been healthy for about a week now but tonight I have to take all the kids grocery shopping and by Friday, I imagine it will start all over again.

We take probiotics, clo, all our produce, meat etc is organic.  We've cut out sugar almost completely.  We don't have any major underlying health issues.  I've got my conspiracy theories but here's not the place I suppose.... ;)

It seems like this is happening all over the US, not at all isolated.  I would be curious to know where people live who are experiencing this.  I am in the NW.  This has also been happening to my parents, my in-laws and other friends and acquaintances.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 08:49:22 AM by hhmom »

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 08:58:40 AM »
I've got my conspiracy theories but here's not the place I suppose.... ;)

It seems like this is happening all over the US, not at all isolated.  I would be curious to know where people live who are experiencing this. 
;D
I'm near DC but my extended family members have been dealing with it in FL and VA

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 09:25:31 AM »
It just occurred to me, are you a "germaphobe"?  Meaning, do you clean and disinfect everything?

I tend to keep an uncluttered house, but it's always been my theory that too much disinfecting can cause low immunity.  I don't let my kids eat food off the floor at the restaraunts, but around here, we subscribe to the 30 second (or 10 minute) rule.  If nobody has stepped on it and it wasn't anywhere near the bathroom or the litter box, it's fair game.  ;D

I also very seldom ever spray or disinfect our door knobs (now you'll never come to see us-LOL).  I don't use bleach for anything except the toilet.  I don't use cleaners other than baking soda most of the time.  I don't even use dishsoap on my pans.  I only wash clothes in cold water and I just am not very obsessive about handwashing and that sort of thing.  I also rarely even think about the toys in the nursery and the carts in the grocery store.  In all honesty - as much as this may gross some of you out -- I think this is part of the reason that we are healthy more often than others.

I've also noticed in our family that many overdress the kids.  They put snowsuits on them when it's 40 degrees outside.  To me this is ridiculous.  When the body is too warm, it's a breeding ground for more germs.  These kids are always sick and mine rarely are.  My kids run around in a cold house with bare feet and rarely complain.  I try to keep their feet covered, but most days it's fruitless.  I'm not entirely sure of the mechanics behind it, but I think being on this side of cold is better for the body than being on this side of hot--especially where sickness is concerned.

This may or may not help, but I thought I'd share.  Now that you all know  this about me, you'll probably never come over for coffee.  :-\ ;D   ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 09:33:21 AM »
It just occurred to me, are you a "germaphobe"?  Meaning, do you clean and disinfect everything?

For the record, I'm not a 'germaphobe".  We have farm animals and I hardly ever remember to have the kids wash up before dinner.  Gross, I'm sure.  I also don't use bleach or disinfectents.  What I do is often bathe my kids in epson salt and a few drops of tto after a long day out getting cuts and scrapes and dirt.  I keep a clean but not immaculate house, most of the time.

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008, 09:47:09 AM »
I'm with you HB on the "not too clean" thing.  We have a dog, which I have heard "helps" with immune boosting.  We wash our hands before meals.  I like to keep my bathrooms clean, but with natural products mostly.  The dog (too often) cleans off the baby's high chair tray.  I usually use a rag after dog is done  ;)

My mom comes to my house and is horrified at our standards of sanitation.  My kids drop food on the floor and we don't flinch.  At my mom's house, it's a race between her and the kids to get food off the floor.  My mom has been known to pull something out of a baby mouth that was previously on the floor.  She sanitizes and disinfects everything every day.  That's how I grew up.  Probably why I am so lax now.

We do have wood, tile and carpet, about 1/3 each in the house.

The only conclusion I can come to is:  it's a bad winter!  And I am very glad to know it's all over the country, amongst the healthy and not healthy alike.  I (and I repeat from above) get discouraged when we are doing good things and getting sick, and I see others eating terrible and doing everything "wrong" and staying healthy.

But I will say - we are getting over things WAY faster than we ever have before.  Other folks I know are getting flu and having lingering results.  OUrs was quick and easy.

Thanks for fixing this into its own thread, HB.  I am still interested in knowing other's opinions, even going back years, if this has happened before to the "healthy" crowd and how they've handled it.

Muchas gracias, amigas!

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008, 10:11:02 AM »

My mom comes to my house and is horrified at our standards of sanitation.  My kids drop food on the floor and we don't flinch.  At my mom's house, it's a race between her and the kids to get food off the floor.  My mom has been known to pull something out of a baby mouth that was previously on the floor.  She sanitizes and disinfects everything every day.  That's how I grew up.  Probably why I am so lax now.

My long lost twin! ;) :D
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 10:22:01 AM »
My house is usually very neat and uncluttered, my hubby wouldn't have it any other way. I usually "clean" once a week. I use all "natural" "cheap" products, vinegar and water and such.

The only thing I really like to do is remove our shoes before we walk all over the house.

We have a dog, I knew we had her for a reason :) 'cause she definitely brings in more dirt and such.

I use bleach in the toilets but that's it.

I'm not a hand cleaning OCD girl by any means and we've most certainly eaten off the floor.

I was thinking though that cleaning the carpet might be needed. If nothing else but to take care of it and keep it in good condition.

The nursery though does gross me out. At least this nursery. The other kids are constantly sick and chewing on things and then handing that off to another kid to chew on. It doesn't bother me b/t my kids but it does with others...

Anymore suggestions? I would still come to your house HB 'cause I know you'd serve us good healthy food :)

Offline Wing

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 11:18:17 AM »
I'm with you all.  Our family has been sick almost constantly since the beginning of January.   For years (4?) we've hardly caught a thing.  We've really been pretty healthy.  Now we are ALL 6 constantly sick!  We've all been healthy for about a week now but tonight I have to take all the kids grocery shopping and by Friday, I imagine it will start all over again.

We take probiotics, clo, all our produce, meat etc is organic.  We've cut out sugar almost completely.  We don't have any major underlying health issues.  I've got my conspiracy theories but here's not the place I suppose.... ;)

It seems like this is happening all over the US, not at all isolated.  I would be curious to know where people live who are experiencing this.  I am in the NW.  This has also been happening to my parents, my in-laws and other friends and acquaintances.

Last year and the year before we rarely caught anything, but since winter hit it has been awful.  We are in the NW too.  My conspiracy theories have to do with people being out and about after getting the "flu shot" and spreading whatever was injected in their bodies with the rest of us.  :o  My husband works in a hospital and said all the guys in his department who got the shot were out sick for weeks and were very indignant that they got so sick after getting "immunized" against it. 

Offline Roehrmomma

• Master
    • Polished cornerstones
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2008, 11:37:51 AM »
Us too!  We are in KS. More this yr than all our married years combined.  ???

Em

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2008, 11:56:29 AM »
I thought it was only us this year that cannot seem to shake the sicknesses. First, it was a horrible respiratory thing in January, and it has lasted 3+ weeks (some still not over it, including myself), and now the stomach flu has hit our house!! We have never been this sick in YEARS!!

I have been chalking it up to viruses mutating very quickly, spurred on by the medical community shelling out 'antiviral' meds, including flu shots, to no avail. That, combined with being cooped up indoors due to bitterly cold temps, I believe is the root of the problem.

Any other ideas?

"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline GarlicMomma

• Adept
  • My dd took this one in late summer in TN.
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2008, 05:14:59 PM »
Us too! This is the first time I can remember an illness going through all the members of our family.

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2008, 05:26:53 PM »
I feel so bad for those of you who have been going through this! I'm sure it gets very old. :(

We've been spared of anything too bad- so far. Just a couple times of short-lived respiratory stuff and some stuffy heads. We older ones kicked it with LOTS of garlic but it took longer for the little ones to get over it completely. Because of rough weather we haven't been out and about much which I'm guessing has been the main reason we haven't been sick.

As far as diet, along with the normal no-sugar, probiotics, CLO, etc. we eat beef or chicken stock almost everyday and esp. if I know we are or have been exposed to people. :D  ::) Seems to really strengthen our systems. :-\

Just wanna say too that I think Mrs. B had a good poin. And HB too, as far as being "germful" :D and not overdressing- that's us!! Also we get fresh air daily whether inside or out. A blessing of an old, drafty house. ;)

Oh, and we have old, dirty carpeting in our main room- probably where we get our immunity! :D

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2008, 04:08:19 AM »
Has anyone had success in using either Airborne or Emergen-C?

Are they junk or helpful?

Just wondering.  Some friends swear by them as immune boosters, claiming they "knock" something out right as it is starting. 

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2008, 04:27:53 AM »

Just wondering.  Some friends swear by them as immune boosters, claiming they "knock" something out right as it is starting. 
I don't care for using Airborne, it has sucralose in it. The Emergen-C we've used once. Until this Winter the only time my dd had gotten sick was when we flew. So, this Winter when we flew I gave her (and myself, b/c b*feeding ds) Emergen-C for three days beforehand and then three days after flying also. I didn't bother w/ the days in between actually. None of us got sick so it might be the Emergen-C :) I was just looking at getting some more actually...

Offline Melie

• Master
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2008, 04:35:52 AM »

I don't care for using Airborne, it has sucralose in it. The Emergen-C we've used once. Until this Winter the only time my dd had gotten sick was when we flew. So, this Winter when we flew I gave her (and myself, b/c b*feeding ds) Emergen-C for three days beforehand and then three days after flying also. I didn't bother w/ the days in between actually. None of us got sick so it might be the Emergen-C :) I was just looking at getting some more actually...

Emergen-C has Asparic Acid in it.  I know that is at least related to Aspartame.  I don't know if it's as bad or not but Aspartame freaks me out because I have not gotten a definitive answer and we avoid aspartame like the plague.  It's the 2nd to last ingredient, I believe.

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2008, 04:50:09 AM »

Emergen-C has Asparic Acid in it.  I know that is at least related to Aspartame.  I don't know if it's as bad or not but Aspartame freaks me out because I have not gotten a definitive answer and we avoid aspartame like the plague.  It's the 2nd to last ingredient, I believe.
Oh rats! Hmm...What about just taking old fashioned vitamin C and zinc :) That's what I have now 'cause it cheaper.

Offline Siege

• My avatar is my youngest frying deer tongue!
  • Adept
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2008, 04:55:44 AM »
I used airborn BEFORE WTM. I love it. I am not quite avoiding sucrolose yet, so....I have not used it since WTM because I have been learning about things like garlic and coloidal silver and Ultra Immune....that are FAR cheaper! I still have some and i may take a few doses today, as I have a sore throat/ears. It may help.

I used to take it as soon as I started feeling something coming on. It lessened the symptoms and the time of whatever I caught. Also, I took it when we were going somewhere with a lot of people who were sick (church, airplane, store) and sometimes my family got whatever but I did not.

CJ

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2008, 06:32:34 AM »

On Emergen-C- I've used it for little ones and was disappointed that it didn't seem to help. :-\ Not like GOOT, echinacea or bee propolis....

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2008, 07:26:41 AM »
http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/dangers.htm This cleared up the details of asparic acid for me :) I checked the Emergen C website and it does contain asparic acid.