Author Topic: Using Milled Flax Seed  (Read 22316 times)

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
Using Milled Flax Seed
« on: February 16, 2008, 04:56:27 AM »
I just bought some Milled Flax Seed yesterday because it wasn't as expensive as I thought it'd be and I know it's good for me.

Would you share some ideas on how to use Milled Flax Seed?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Using Milled Flax Seed
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 04:58:30 AM »
I sprinkled it on spagetti last nite.  Very yummy.  I also put it on peanut butter sandwiches, salads and mix it into a gob of peanut butter with chocolate chips.  Last night, I was feeling the need for chocolate, so I took some cocoa and honey and threw it in the almost empty peanut butter jar, sprinkled in some crushed flax seed and stirred it up until it was the consistancy of mashed brownies and ate it with a spoon.  Yummmmy.

Personally, I think it's very versatile.  It's kinda nutty flavored but very light, so it can be sprinkled on a variety of things - even a bologna sandwich.  I've also sprinkled it any soup that I put crackers in.  You can barely even tell it's there.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 05:03:56 AM »
It makes great low-carb breading for fried stuff.  I used to use Ritz crackers before we went GF/CF, and DH really missed the crunchiness.  I just mix it up with a little brown rice flour.  It makes chicken nice and crispy, and the flavor's really good.  DH says it's the best breading I've ever used!

Offline LoveSunflowers

• Master
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 05:12:00 AM »
I have flax seed and need to get more fiber in my diet since starting the no yeast diet...is flax seed low enough in carbs.
That would be great.

Offline *MommaJo*

• Master
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 06:13:49 AM »
Great ideas.  I didn't know it was so versatile.
Keep the suggestions coming.  :)

Offline twitterpated4hubby

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 06:56:48 AM »
I have been wondering the same thing. I bought some from Kroger and it was pretty cheap. Made me wonder if it was even healthy. I use mine as an egg substitute sometimes and i also use it to coat my chicken nuggets. I just roll the chicken in some egg white mixed with spinach puree and then i roll it in the flax meal. I add a few more things to the flax meal also, like spices and stuff. Then i fry the chicken in EVOO. YUM!
http://keepyourcloveson.blogspot.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

"...I found the one my heart loves. I held him and would not let him go..." -Song of Songs 3:4

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 07:11:54 AM »
I have been wondering the same thing. I bought some from Kroger and it was pretty cheap. Made me wonder if it was even healthy. I use mine as an egg substitute sometimes and i also use it to coat my chicken nuggets. I just roll the chicken in some egg white mixed with spinach puree and then i roll it in the flax meal. I add a few more things to the flax meal also, like spices and stuff. Then i fry the chicken in EVOO. YUM!
I acutally asked this on the flaxseed thread the other day but never got an answer.  Here it is......

I found whole flaxseed at the grocery store once.  Now they don't seem to have it.  They have what they call whole ground.  Not sure how it can be whole and ground at the same time.  Anyway it is bob red mill but it is ground but I thought if it stayed ground it would be rancid?  If it is sealed and then kept in the fridge will it be fine?  And will the oils still benefit but not as much or not at all?

YoopreMama

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 07:21:20 AM »
Pennie--I think whole ground means it was whole and then they ground it for you!  :D  I thought it started to get rancid once it was ground and that it needed refrigeration.  I buy mine whole and grind as I have need.

Morningglory--thanks for the GF coating idea!

HB--I'll make some noodles today to try it on that...

I use it in my blender pancakes, in my peanut butter, in my children's once a week cold cereal w/ shredded coconut and chopped almonds, any baked goods I make, on salads, in oatmeal, hmmm...

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 07:39:47 AM »
Pennie--I think whole ground means it was whole and then they ground it for you!  :D  I thought it started to get rancid once it was ground and that it needed refrigeration.  I buy mine whole and grind as I have need.

That was what I had thought I heard too.  I bought it anyway though b/c I had no access to a HFS and wanted it for the fiber but I did notice when I opened it(it was not in a clear bag, supposedly that helps keep it "good")it was alot darker than the whole that i ground myself.  I just thought it was weird to say "whole ground" b/c duh, of course it started out whole.  ;D  Kind of like when I was in boarding school most of the kids were from the northern states and would say "long pants" well, in my mind duh, pants are long and shorts are short so you don't need to say long.  :D  I married a Yankee and he says "long pants"   ;)

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 08:32:44 AM »
Anyway it is bob red mill but it is ground but I thought if it stayed ground it would be rancid?  If it is sealed and then kept in the fridge will it be fine?  And will the oils still benefit but not as much or not at all?

I'm wondering about this also. My mom told me they're selling ground flax seed at Costco really cheap. However, I don't understand how it's still healthy for you. I've always been under the impression you have to grind it and consume it immediately. Anyone know?

YoopreMama

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 08:51:24 AM »
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/flaxinfo.htm

Oxidation/Rancidity: The oil in flax is highly unsaturated. This means that it is very prone to oxidation (rancidity) unless it is stored correctly. The very best way is nature’s own storage system – within the seed. Flax seeds not exposed to large amounts of heat stay safe to eat for at least a year. However, flax meal, and especially flax oil, are a different story. The meal, stored away from heat and light, will keep fresh for a few months, and the oil must be protected by refrigeration in dark containers, preferably being consumed within a few weeks of opening.

Actually, the surprising thing about flax is not that the oils go rancid, but that they don’t go rancid as quickly as we would think, considering how unsaturated they are. The oils are quite stable when the seeds are used in baked foods, for example. Researchers theorize that this is due to the high levels of antioxidants in the seeds.

Flax seeds vs. Flax Seed Meal Whole

Flax seed stays fresh for up to a year if stored correctly. However, they will go rancid more quickly after being ground up into meal. For this reason, many people choose to buy whole flax seed and grind it into meal themselves (this takes seconds in a blender or coffee grinder). The meal can be purchased, but follow these guidelines:

Purchase from a source where you’re sure there is rapid turnover.

Ideally the meal should be refrigerated at the store.

The bag should be opaque, as light will accelerate the meal going rancid.

Vacuum-packed packaging is the best, because it prevents the meal from having contact with oxygen before opening.

If you question how long the flax meal has been on the shelves or how it has been stored, it is recommended that you purchase whole flax seed and grind it yourself. It’s also less expensive this way. Any time you taste flax meal that is at all bitter, throw it away. It should be mildly nutty tasting, and not at all harsh.

Flax Seed Storage
Whole flax seed should be stored in a cool, dark, dry place. Many people choose to store it in the refrigerator or freezer to be on the safe side. Flax meal should be stored in the freezer and used up within a few weeks.

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 11:19:07 AM »
I also add ground flax seed to kefir smoothies with fruit, and when I bake bread...

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 11:29:19 AM »
THANK-YOU YOOPER  ;D

Offline farmgirls

• Adept
  • On my journey to be an excellent helpmeet
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 01:03:29 AM »
We put flax seed on pancakes and yogurt.  It isn't too bad on either one. 
HTH!
And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and maintenance for thy maidens. Psalms

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check out my blog! http://www.alpinesjoy.com/

Offline Mama Sita

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 07:19:30 AM »
I just couldn't resist posting this recipe. It's what we use our fresh-ground flaxseed for more than anything else. This recipe is from my SIL, and it's been a total hit at our house. In fact, I don't even make regular old banana bread anymore.

Banana Energy Bread
1 c. sugar (I use pure cane sugar and sometimes rapadura)(Sometimes I add a little honey to this recipe instead of the sugar--all depends on what I have on hand)
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. butter
1/3 c. milk
Mix well. Add 4 mashed bananas, then add:
1 1/3 c. flour
1/3 c. ground flaxseed
1 tsp.  soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Bake in small loaves (4"X6"?) at 350 for 45 min. Makes 4 small loaves. This recipe doesn't work for regular size loaf pans (I don't know why.)

** I don't have 4X6 pans, so I use the mini pans. Works great. If I double the batch I get 20-22 small mini loaves. The kids love this bread and absolutely gobble it up right when it comes out of the oven.  :)

"No one stands as tall as a Christian on his knees."
Get $5 off your first iHerb.com order: Code ISA141

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 07:51:51 AM »
Tortillia and cream cheese sprinkled with flax seed and black pepper.  Yummmmy.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 08:14:37 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 03:57:52 AM »
When ya'll put flax in your muffins and bread and stuff do you replace it for some of the flour or do you just add it in extra?  I went to the healthfood store last night and asked if they had whole.  It was in the bulk section and she said they have light and dark.  So, I guess that might explain why my milled is so dark.  It must be the dark and the whole I bought was light.  I bought light again b/c she said there really was no difference.  Do ya'll agree with that?  Thanks.

YoopreMama

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 04:03:00 AM »
I add mine in extra...maybe 2 T...depending on the recipe.  We buy ours in the bulk section, too--I just learned that!  :)

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2008, 04:07:38 AM »
I add mine in extra...maybe 2 T...depending on the recipe.  We buy ours in the bulk section, too--I just learned that!  :)
oh, wow, I may have over done it.  I am making bread.  It is 4 2/3 cup flour so I replaced 1/3 cup of flour for the flax.  Guess we'll see how it turns out.   :)  Thanks!  :)

YoopreMama

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 04:13:21 AM »
Nah...you're probably still OK.  :)  Really.

Offline smileyface

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 04:47:20 AM »
When ya'll put flax in your muffins and bread and stuff do you replace it for some of the flour or do you just add it in extra?  I went to the healthfood store last night and asked if they had whole.  It was in the bulk section and she said they have light and dark.  So, I guess that might explain why my milled is so dark.  It must be the dark and the whole I bought was light.  I bought light again b/c she said there really was no difference.  Do ya'll agree with that?  Thanks.
I usually substitute about 1 cup ground flaxseed in replace of 1 cup of flour. I also don't add any oil or other fat, since flax can be a substitute for oil. And from what I heard, the light and dark flax are nutritionally the same. So I use the light because it makes my bread look prettier.  ;D
Wife to a wonderful Mr. Command, and mommy to 5 sweet little ones!

Visit http://hyenacart.com/SunnyDayBabies/ where I sell cloth diapers and more!
WTM members recieve 10% off with the code WTM0409!

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2008, 04:52:45 AM »
I usually substitute about 1 cup ground flaxseed in replace of 1 cup of flour. I also don't add any oil or other fat, since flax can be a substitute for oil. And from what I heard, the light and dark flax are nutritionally the same. So I use the light because it makes my bread look prettier.  ;D
Oh, I hadn't thought about the oil factor.  Well, the seed I used today was already ground when I bought it so maybe it won't be so oily?  It tastes good though.  Not bitter or anything and it was in a opaque bag like the  info Yooper posted that is should be like.  I will buy whole from now on though since I know where to get it and it wasn't that expensive it didn't seem.  One pound of the milled at the grocery story was 2.90 and whole bulk at the HFS was 1.99/lb. 

Offline ArmyWife

• Adept
    • the Kirkland Family
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 03:06:22 PM »
If I use ground flaxseed in pancakes and muffins and other baked things, are there still beneficial oils in it after the high heat, or is the main benefit the fiber?  I found a coffee grinder for cheap at the thrift shop, and this works great for grinding the whole seeds.
Feel free to visit our family blogspot!  http://toddandannakirkland.blogspot.com

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2008, 06:53:57 AM »
I would suspect that the oils would be gone in the heat.  I haven't been able to find documentation for this though.  Flavor seems to be there and the fiber never goes anywhere, but I think the oils are zapped.  Anyone have a resource for this?
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2008, 10:02:30 AM »
flax seed oil is easily oxidized, and rapidly becomes rancid with an unpleasant odor unless refrigerated. Even when kept under cool conditions it has a shelf life of only a few weeks.[9][10] Oil with an unpleasant or rancid odour should be discarded.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linseed_oil

I use milled flax seed too, for extra fiber.  But be aware that it does have phytoestrogens, so frequent use or large does should probably be avoided.  I guess it depends on what your specific health conditions are...if you have to have extra fiber, and don't have estrogen dominance, then it's prob. fine.  But if you are already struggling with estrogen dominance, then I'd look for another source of fiber.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline txseawater

• Adept
  • JESUS PRESENCE~
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 04:24:42 PM »
Golden Flax which is Omega 3 ( not to be confused with brown flax which is Omega 6) has phytoestrogens? Wow! I never knew that! No WONDER! I've always been estrogen dominate. I tried to regulate the amount to 1/4 cup 2 weeks, and 1/8 cup two weeks because of my tendency to bloat. Seems like I lost weight when I no longer had it available for my regular diet. I just replaced it with almonds for my morning routine. Ive missed my golden flax seed! I used to grind it fresh in a coffee grinder designated for it and' LOVED to mix it in a small glass of apple juice which to me, was the best flavor combination. It is the highest known source of lignans isn't it? Ultra cancer fighter! For us down here in South Texas, it has become pretty tough to find the golden flax seed in bulk like we used to get it when we dealt more directly with bulk grains and seeds. I had a farmer friend from North Dakota that supplied us and we did ship it in UPS in 50 lb bags double boxed when we didn't hook up with him! We bucketed it in smaller more handy containers after that. Canada has it in abundance, and the Dakotas. Barleans is pricey, but I think it is the very best cold process flax oil & yes, you refrigerate! Perfect for use on salads! It's nutty!   
Sea ~~~_/) ~~~