Author Topic: Insomnia/Can't Sleep: Causes & Cures  (Read 80824 times)

Offline floydian

• Master
Re: Insomnia/Can't Sleep: Causes & Cures
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2008, 02:31:27 PM »
Well... how are all you doing? I guess I'll join the thread... not with advice, but with questions.  ::)

My brain doesn't sleep!  >:(  I exhaust myself during the day... I exercise & do the usual mom/wife duties all day long.. when we go to bed, I am very tired & think I will have a great night. My body falls asleep pretty fast, but my brain is thinking the whole night!!  :o  Its horrible. I wake up with a headache & don't feel so great... its been like this for a while now... Last night I finally tried Valeiran tincture. I was so excited!! But it didn't work. The whole night my brain kept thinking "this isn't working.. why isn't this working"... I woke up with a headache & the whole day has been messed up!!  :(  I have tried the sleepy teas... they don't work...

I tend to drink a lot of caffiene during the day, usually no later than 4 in the afternoon though. I have switched from coffee to green tea... could this be what's keeping my brain up at night?? Should I try to cut out all the caffiene and see what happens?? Is there anything wrong with taking the Valarien Tincture?? How many drops should I take? last night I took about 35 and it didn't work... should I try more??

Thanks!!

Are you getting enough good fats?  I know when I added them back into my diet, it helped me tremendously.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2008, 05:16:18 PM »
I would definitely try cutting out all the caffeine (maybe gradually) and see how you do with that. I know it really has a big effect on my system, including my mind. (I feel really sharp, alert- on a "buzz").  That would be my first step if I were you.  BTW, I've been there, done that...  :-\ It's frustrating!

Offline its_me518

• Adept
  • Check out GenuineAid.com for Natural Health info.
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2008, 12:51:22 PM »
Hi. Well, another frustrating night of "brain not sleeping". I didn't have ANY caffeine yesterday, had tons of exercise throughout the day & was really tired when I went to bed.... yep... brain still didn't sleep. How long does it take for caffeine to exit the body? And yes, I do get plenty of good fats.... I like fat!  ;D  I guess I'll just try to avoid caffeine for a few days and see if it does any good.... it's hard though cuz I NEED the caffeine during the day!!  :(  Oh well.... any other advice?? Oh, what about the Valerian.. what's bad about it? How much should I take (tincture)? Thanks!
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline ladyhen

• Master
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2008, 12:54:52 PM »
Start with 20 drops tonight and increase it in 2 days by 5 drops until you find the dosage that works for you. 
HTH

Maybe try having a cup of chamomile or rooibos tea at bedtime.  Both are relaxing and help insomnia.
Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;    Titus 2:13

Offline its_me518

• Adept
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2008, 12:24:33 PM »
Hi. Thanks! I have previously tried the teas (a lot of times) but it still does not work. I think maybe the brain not sleeping has something to do with my unconciously keeping myself up at night to make sure to take my son to the bathroom at the right time so he doesn't wet the bed... I think the stress of it has something to do with it. I am still working on this whole 'no sleep thing'... will have to try things... thanks though!
http://www.GenuineAid.com is the Natural Health Blog for Nutrients and Benefits of Fruits, Vegetables, Berries, Nuts, Meats, Dairy, Herbs, and other Foods.

Offline MamaSong

• Adept
« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
Well... how are all you doing? I guess I'll join the thread... not with advice, but with questions.  ::)

My brain doesn't sleep!  >:(  I exhaust myself during the day... I exercise & do the usual mom/wife duties all day long.. when we go to bed, I am very tired & think I will have a great night. My body falls asleep pretty fast, but my brain is thinking the whole night!!  :o  Its horrible. I wake up with a headache & don't feel so great... its been like this for a while now... Last night I finally tried Valeiran tincture. I was so excited!! But it didn't work. The whole night my brain kept thinking "this isn't working.. why isn't this working"... I woke up with a headache & the whole day has been messed up!!  :(  I have tried the sleepy teas... they don't work...

I tend to drink a lot of caffiene during the day, usually no later than 4 in the afternoon though. I have switched from coffee to green tea... could this be what's keeping my brain up at night?? Should I try to cut out all the caffiene and see what happens?? Is there anything wrong with taking the Valarien Tincture?? How many drops should I take? last night I took about 35 and it didn't work... should I try more??

Thanks!!

I often have a hard time shutting my brain down at night and found it helps if I "transition" to sleep time.  For instance, if you're doing housework until the moment you head to bed, your mind will probably keep racing.  It's tempting as a mother to try to fit in as much work as possible after the kids are in bed, but that can back-fire, as you can give yourself a "second wind".  Try something relaxing, like a bath/shower, curling up with a good book or magazine, etc.  For instance, I usually "have" to read something mindless before I turn out the light.  If you have a set bedtime routine, you are more likely to "train" your brain to transition to sleep time rather than wake time.  Also, if at all possible, stick to the same bedtime so your body & mind automatically "know" when to expect sleep.

And, yes, avoid caffeine for a few days to see if that helps, or maybe just treat yourself to one cup of your favorite caffeine source first thing in the morning, and none after that.

Offline its_me518

• Adept
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2008, 01:03:25 PM »
Thanks for the great advice!!  :)  I will definetly have to try that!!

Offline its_me518

• Adept
    • Natural Health Blog
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2008, 12:46:49 PM »
Well... I thought I would let you all know... I believe my problem has been solved!!  ;)  This might seem lame, but its the truth. I believe I was keeping my brain awake on purpose. See, I have a little boy who does not wake up at night when he has to go pee... so he wets the bed... I have been having a "mental" alarm clock and all night my brain is thinking whether or not it is time to wake him up yet to make him pee on the toilet. Well, I've had enough.. so we put him back in diapers for the night.. and what do you think  ???  I've been sound asleep ALL night long!! My brain is SLEEPING!!! Everything is so much better now!! So, maybe you should think about why you're not sleeping... maybe you'll find something that you are keeping yourself up about... Thank you God!!  ;D  Sleep is wonderful!! So what if a 2 year old is still in diapers at night....  ::)  The things we stress over sometimes!!  ::)   ::)

Offline MamaJ

• Adept
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2008, 04:02:48 AM »
I wonder if just too many changes in life could be to blame for me.  I always slept well as a young person.  It always took me a long time to actually fall asleep, but then I would sleep without waking until morning.  Since I married and had kids, however, I've not been able to sleep well.  I still take forever to fall asleep, but then I wake often during the night as well.  I have tried different teas and warm baths, even warm milk, which used to work for me.

I think perhaps that just making it a point to go to bed without worrying about daytime things would help.  I don't know if any of you are like me, but I can be completely stressed out and not really know it.  I just know that something is "off".

Mama J.

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2008, 01:43:33 PM »
I'm starting to get what I'll call "pregnancy-induced insomnia" - i.e. my second trimester and instead of being tired all the time, I can't sleep! My midwife said to try magnesium which I've also seen on this thread. Does anyone know if this means more magnesium in your diet overall or does it mean magnesium at night before bedtime?

cecac

« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2008, 04:42:02 PM »
I'm thinking magnesium before bedtime.

But whoa--watch out not to take too much, as it will give you a serious case of diarrhea.  Ask me how I know. ::)

I've also used Valerian herb to stop the insomnia I get in pregnancy.  Usually it only takes 1-2 nights of 2 capsules each to break the cycle for me.

HTH,
Cara

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2008, 01:25:45 PM »
I bought powdered "magnesium citrate in ionic form"....called Natural Calm, distributed by Peter Gilham's Natural Vitality . I put a tsp ( or up to 3 ) in hot water and sometimes mix it with juice or otherwise chug it down. Its tart but not unpleasant. It fizzes when you first put it in then is flat. Kind of like drinking a strong alka seltzer with no fizz. It comes flavored too but I use the plain. I've also used chewable melatonin .. the only problem with that is if you use it a lot your body will stop producing melatonin.

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2008, 06:09:01 AM »
Thanks for your responses. Melatonin's okay in pregnancy?

I don't want to be TOO sleepy, I just don't want to wake up at 4:30 in the morning and then not be able to get back to sleep again till 6, when everyone is getting up. That's what keeps happening!

I have to say that one natural cure that's helped me has been the Olympics. We keep staying up too late watching them and then I'm plenty sleepy all night (and the next day)!

cecac

« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2008, 12:32:20 PM »
Have you tried eating some cheese, a piece of meat, or some other protein at 4:30 AM?  It might make you able to go back to sleep......

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #104 on: August 13, 2008, 01:46:50 PM »
Consider darkening your windows and if you MUST have a night light, find a red bulb. Having a light shining while you try to sleep will REALLY affect your sleep pattern in some amazing ways.

From the book, Honoring Our Cycles, page 50 (Katie Singer, 2006, ISBN: 0-9670897-6-X)
. . . To be healthy, we need sunlight during the day and darkness at night. Some women who do not ovulate regularly or who have difficulty getting pregnant and keeping pregnant have found that night lighting affects their cycles.

Usually, a woman needs to sleep in complete darkness -- except around the days she ovulates. Sleeping in complete darkness means that 15 minutes after you turn off your bedroom light, you can not see your hand in front of your face. Getting your room totally dark takes time and attention. You might cover your window one night and the crack under the door the next. While it may take several months, healthier cycles often result.

. . . If you need light in the middle of the night (in the bathroom or while nursing), use dim light. You can buy a red bulb (like those used in a photographer's darkroom) from a camera store. . . .
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline morningglory

• Adept
« Reply #105 on: August 13, 2008, 03:49:55 PM »
Catnip is great, and I believe, safe for prgenancy.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline knitting another

• Learning
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2009, 03:10:21 PM »
Varlerian root tea works for me.  Puts me out as well as Xanex but with no hangover.

Does the Valerian root tea keep you sleepy enough to fall back asleep after you make a bathroom run in the middle of the night? That is where my problem usually starts.  After using the bathroom, my brain kicks into high gear!! I'll lie awake for two hours then finally fall asleep, which is right about the time I need to get up anyway!
I've been taking benadryl pills for a while now, but have discovered I'm pregnant and don't want to continue using them BUT NEED my sleep!
thanks for any help!

Offline knitting another

• Learning
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2009, 07:45:43 PM »
Varlerian root tea works for me.  Puts me out as well as Xanex but with no hangover.

Does the Valerian root tea keep you sleepy enough to fall back asleep after you make a bathroom run in the middle of the night? That is where my problem usually starts.  After using the bathroom, my brain kicks into high gear!! I'll lie awake for two hours then finally fall asleep, which is right about the time I need to get up anyway!
I've been taking benadryl pills for a while now, but have discovered I'm pregnant and don't want to continue using them BUT NEED my sleep!
thanks for any help!

in case anyone wonders the same thing, no, valerian root does not work as good as benadryl. since I've switched, I've had two nights of not so great sleep. when you first take the pills, you sleep great! but then, my usual routine kicks in, i'm up around 1, 2, or 3 a.m. and cannot get back to sleep. I'm wiped out the next morning and miserable come 7 pm.