Author Topic: KitchenAid vs Bosch Mixer  (Read 69891 times)

Offline lewisquiverfull

• Adept
Re: KitchenAid vs Bosch Mixer
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2009, 03:36:58 PM »
MIne is an older version with 450 watts, and has never failed me. It is very powerful. I do 4 loaves of bread in at one time.

Offline HappyMum

• Learning
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2009, 03:59:53 PM »
For those of you who have the electrolux brand and use it for bread dough what watts do you recommend?  I was looking at one that is 450 watts and by the description it should be awesome, but several with other brands have recommended a higher power.

I have an Electrolux Kitchen Assistent, and it's a 450 Watt version.  I've had it maybe 5 years, and have used it at least once a week during that time to make bread.  I make three loaves at a time, using around 9 cups of fresh milled wholewheat flour, and running it for 15-18 minutes.  The mixer handles it without any problem at all, and the bread is wonderfully light and well kneaded.  I got mine from www.breadbeckers.com, but I notice that their new stock is all 600 Watt, so somebody must have had trouble with the 450 Watt version.  Not me though, I think mine is awesome!

On the Wolfgang Puck, I don't have a bread mixer, I have their food processor.  I had a bizarre problem with the top getting stuck to the bowl.  It required so much force to twist and separate them that two people had to work together to do it!  I was afraid we were going to shatter the top or the bowl, or both.  I had my husband file down the catches that held the two together, and it hasn't been a problem since.  It was incredibly annoying though, and I wouldn't buy that brand again!

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2009, 12:48:02 PM »
Does anyone have the blender for the bosch?  I was wondering how it would compare power wise to the vitamix.
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline doggymom22

• Master
  • An Arabian horse "watercolor" I did on the 'puter.
    • www.sonicbids.com/Patrick3
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2009, 02:34:19 PM »
Does anyone have the blender for the bosch?  I was wondering how it would compare power wise to the vitamix.
     We don't have the blender to the Bosch, but I can tell you this: nothing compares in power to the vitamix, and I doubt that the Bosch could hold a candle to it. :-\ We had the food processor to it, and it really wasn't all that powerful.

~Edith
"A dog wags its tail with its heart"-MB
"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does"-CM
"Even the tiniest poodle or Chihuahua is still a wolf at heart" -DHP

Offline seekingtruth

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2009, 03:10:37 AM »

I have the blender for the bosch and a Blendtec, which is comparable to the vitamix, and there isn't much comparison.  But if you only need a small blender (the bosch is half the size) and only need a blender for regular blending needs, then the bosch would probably be fine.  It handles smoothies, etc. 

Tammy

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2009, 04:39:59 AM »

I have the blender for the bosch and a Blendtec, which is comparable to the vitamix, and there isn't much comparison.  But if you only need a small blender (the bosch is half the size) and only need a blender for regular blending needs, then the bosch would probably be fine.  It handles smoothies, etc. 

Tammy

I am thinking more about the strength/power of the blender.  I would more than likely be using it to make butters (almond, peanut) and grind other seeds and things that can't go through my grain mill.

Offline doggymom22

• Master
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2009, 06:33:04 AM »

Tammy

I am thinking more about the strength/power of the blender.  I would more than likely be using it to make butters (almond, peanut) and grind other seeds and things that can't go through my grain mill.
     I don't think that the bosch blender would be able to handl that....seeds and nuts are pretty hard. :-\

'Course, I don't have any experiance with it, I'm just going off of the power our food processor gave us. ;)

~Edith
"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does"-CM

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2009, 11:13:10 AM »

Tammy

I don't think that the bosch blender would be able to handl that....seeds and nuts are pretty hard. :-\

'Course, I don't have any experiance with it, I'm just going off of the power our food processor gave us. ;)

~Edith

Would you say the food processor is comparable to most that are available out there?  I am trying to make sure I make the best purchases for my kitchen, one's that will work for what I need, last and the best price for now and long term.

Offline doggymom22

• Master
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2009, 02:32:37 PM »
No. It was OK for light jobs, but that was it. For one thing, it's really small, but since you're just going to be doing nut butters, I don't think that would be a problem. Then there's the power issue; it's just not as powerful as most. :-\ At least, IMO it isn't.

I think you would be better served getting a vitamix, or some other high quality blender. (the vitamix is the only one I know of) We've had our vitamix for at least 5 yrs, maybe more, and the blade on the wet container is just now starting to get a bit dull. Oh, and one time the blade came unscrewed out of the base while the machine was running with smoothie in it. :P My bro cleaned the motor out, and it sounds odd but still works fine. We'll probably be getting it serviced soon. ;)

~Edith
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 02:35:11 PM by doggymom22 »

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2009, 05:27:22 PM »
Going back to Kitchen Aides... I have been wanting one for a couple of months now.

I am probably one of those "weird" people who prefer to hand knead their bread, so I won't be using it for bread. (When I don't have a  lot of time I make a no knead recipe) I would mostly be using it for things such as making butter, cookies, and cakes. Would a Kitchen Aide be alright for those things? Or should I look for something better?

I already have a great food processor, not an expensive one, but I have seen the ones the chef's have on tv, and mine works better than theirs.. :D And I am hoping someday to get a Vitamix, so no need for those attachments that come with a Bosch....

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2009, 06:40:08 PM »
I love my plain old, tilt head Kitchenaid mixer.  I actually prefer the tilt-back head on the lower end mixer to the crank up kind.  I'm not a 'bells and whistles' girl either.

My kitchenaid handles thick cookie dough, and easily folds in chocolate chips and nuts.  It makes cakes fluffier, and makes beautful whipped cream...I think you'd be pleased.  Kitchenaid makes a great quality mixer.
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2009, 12:36:26 PM »
I have been watching this discussion for awhile.   I'm wondering what model of Bosh blender is being discussed.   I am really pleased with mine.   I have had my machine for over 20 years and never had a problem with anything I have tried to blend or mix for that matter.    Mine isn't the small machine that you see in the ads..........it is the large machine that has the blender part on the side.   I make butter in mine, blend up carrots in water for a few things that I make and have even crushed ice cubes.   Guess I think it is as powerful as the mixer part.   Just my .02.   :)
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline Elenita

• Adept
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2009, 01:24:25 PM »
Going back to Kitchen Aides... I have been wanting one for a couple of months now.

I am probably one of those "weird" people who prefer to hand knead their bread, so I won't be using it for bread. (When I don't have a  lot of time I make a no knead recipe) I would mostly be using it for things such as making butter, cookies, and cakes. Would a Kitchen Aide be alright for those things? Or should I look for something better?

I already have a great food processor, not an expensive one, but I have seen the ones the chef's have on tv, and mine works better than theirs.. :D And I am hoping someday to get a Vitamix, so no need for those attachments that come with a Bosch....

Well, maybe we just had luck, but we bought a Kitchen Aid more than 6 years ago. And I use it at least once a week for making bread. (All different kinds). Or pizza. It only has 300 Watt, and I only can do 8 cups of white flour or 6 cups of whole wheat, and as we're quite a lot, plus I want to make use of the gas if I turn on the oven, I usually make 6 loaves. That means, I make 3 loads of bread (each load is for two loafs), and each one runs for about 5 minutes.
It hasn't burnt out yet. And apart from at least one bread dough per weak, I also do other stuff, cakes, cookies, and so on... I'm really happy with it. Yes, one time I had to scrape the cake dough off the floor, because it wandered. But as it usually doesn't need  a lot of minutes to mix a dough I just try to be there or let one of my kids stand guard :).
I would love to be able to put more dough in at once, but otherwise I'm really happy with it.

Offline doggymom22

• Master
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2009, 01:43:07 PM »
I have been watching this discussion for awhile.   I'm wondering what model of Bosh blender is being discussed.   I am really pleased with mine.   I have had my machine for over 20 years and never had a problem with anything I have tried to blend or mix for that matter.    Mine isn't the small machine that you see in the ads..........it is the large machine that has the blender part on the side.   I make butter in mine, blend up carrots in water for a few things that I make and have even crushed ice cubes.   Guess I think it is as powerful as the mixer part.   Just my .02.   :)
     I don't know what model it is...sounds like yours, though. The mixer is on one side and the blender/attatchment on the other.

I guess for us it just wasn't enough...anything in our house gets a beating. ;) I personally just think  you'd be better off buying a machine that is actually meant to be a blender. :)

~Edith

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2009, 11:24:39 AM »
I just wanted to say that I was able to get a almost brand new 300 watt Kitchen Aid for only $55! My hubby is too wonderful!  ;D ;D

I so far have used it for cookies and bread dough, plus banana bread and a few other things, and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! The only thing I didn't like about it was that while kneading the bread dough, I had to stay close by and keep scraping it down because the dough wanted to wander up the hook.  ::) I think that may have been that I had too much flour though. I didn't have any problems with it wandering around as far as the machine itself. It stayed firmly in the same place on my counter throughout the whole process.

Over all I am very pleased, and I LOVE the fact that I can now make yummy bread very quickly. :)

Offline freshisbest

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2009, 01:54:15 PM »
I just wanted to say that I was able to get a almost brand new 300 watt Kitchen Aid for only $55! My hubby is too wonderful!  ;D ;D

I so far have used it for cookies and bread dough, plus banana bread and a few other things, and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! The only thing I didn't like about it was that while kneading the bread dough, I had to stay close by and keep scraping it down because the dough wanted to wander up the hook.  ::) I think that may have been that I had too much flour though. I didn't have any problems with it wandering around as far as the machine itself. It stayed firmly in the same place on my counter throughout the whole process.

Over all I am very pleased, and I LOVE the fact that I can now make yummy bread very quickly. :)

Sometimes you can just turn up the speed to get it off the hook, and then lower again to keep kneading. You might be able to find the manual online to read about its capacity...I make one batch, dump it into a rising bowl, then add another batch worth of ingredients and start over. I have used the pasta attachment but didn't like the way it revved the motor. You can find lots of attachments on Ebay.

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2009, 04:41:36 PM »
Has anyone seen or used the Magic Bullet Express?  I just saw one of those paid programming things and am wondering how it would compare to the bosch mixer.

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2009, 04:23:05 AM »
Anybody? 

Offline paradisemamma

• Adept
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2009, 06:08:14 AM »
Has anyone seen or used the Magic Bullet Express?  I just saw one of those paid programming things and am wondering how it would compare to the bosch mixer.
I received a Bullet Express as a gift.  We used it for less than five minutes and one of the parts  broke which made the whole thing useless. (Very cheap plastic IMO)  Since the return date had expired by the time we used it for the first time there was no refund of any kind. The replacement part  was $25 and as it stands we're debating of if it's worth the risk the $25. Very frustrating, however others may have had a better experience this was just ours.   :-\

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2009, 10:36:36 AM »
I guess it also depends on what you are wanting to do with it...
The Magic Bullet is just a blender, right?  The Bosch has a blender attachment, but it is a stand mixer as a baseline.  You can also get food processer, grinders, and shredder attachments as well for the bosch.
The main use for my Bosch is to knead whole wheat bread dough, not just as a blender.

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2009, 01:14:11 PM »
The commercial I saw had them preparing an entire meal using the magic bullet express.  It could be used as a very powerful blender, food processer, juicer and dough mixer.

http://www.bulletexpress.com/

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2009, 03:24:13 AM »
bump

Offline JesiRaine

• Learning
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2009, 05:00:44 AM »
I was very entertained with the infomercial on their website!  I don't have experience with that exact item, but I have used one of the magic bullets in the past.  I think that company makes stuff that can be great when it works, but it's not made very heavy duty.  I like using the magic bullet for things like baby food or making a little bit of whipped cream, but I've always had a problem even blending ice with it.  I would think the express item would probably not be quite as robust as they say. 

Then again, I'm pretty rough on these things.  I've burned out an industrial Kitchen Aide (one of the 575W ones) trying to make wheat bread.  I ended up getting a Bosch mixer (the one with the blender on the side)instead.  It's now my favorite thing in the kitchen...
Visit my blog at ourhappyhomestead.com or my family at www.thebabyzeke.com

Offline sagehill

• No Posting (Banned)
  • Wide Eyed
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2011, 01:29:13 PM »
I bought a Bosch Universal this year, the newest model. I've used it quite a bit for bread and I love it. I bought a KitchenAid first and tried it with a batch of bread and it really sounded like it was struggling so I returned it.

However, I don't like the food processor attachment for the Bosch. I bought it because Pleasant Hill Grain said that you could make peanut butter in it. I've tried it five times and only get peanut flour. I can add water or a LOT of oil, but the consistency is weird. The food processor is also very inconvenient. It's hard to get on and off of the base and you have to take it off every time you open it up. It's so much of a pain in the neck as to make it impractical in my opinion.

I've been using the grain grinding attachment for the Champion Juicer. It gets pretty hot so I give it frequent breaks. It's also really noisy. I put it on the finest grind and just run it through once and the flour makes great bread. I just bought the grain grinding attachment for the Bosch from Pleasant Hill Grain and I like it better. It's quieter. The grain is still warm, but the unit doesn't seem to heat up as much.

Offline my3kidsmom

• Adept
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2012, 09:36:45 AM »
I used to have a KitchenAid. I had mine for about 6 or 7 years then sold it because I was worried about burning my KitchenAid up like everyone talks about by stripping the gears out. I don't do heavy baking, but I usually make rolls at least once a week, and used it for mashed potatoes, cookies, and whatever else I was doing. I ended up selling the KitchenAid and buying a Bosch. I did buy the meat grinder attatchment which works great. I like the Bosch for making bread, but not for anything else. I have missed my KitchenAid terribly. I used to use it several times a week at least. It was much more convenient to clean and I thought easier to use. The cookie dough paddles on the bosch already had to be replaced because they broke. They are made of plastic. Were I to do it over again, I would not buy the Bosch. I would stay with my trusty KitchenAid!

Offline my3kidsmom

• Adept
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2012, 09:38:30 AM »
I did buy the blender that goes with the Bosch, but in my opinion, there is no comparison between theirs and the Vitamix. I returned the Bosch mixer and bought a Vitamix last spring, and I love it!

Offline my3kidsmom

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2012, 09:41:10 AM »
Oops, I didn't return the mixer, I still have that. I returned the blender part of it and bought the Vitamix later.