Author Topic: Overall Q of Health  (Read 8834 times)

Offline onPurpose.ps39

• ~Andrea Gatekeeper~
  • Learning
Overall Q of Health
« on: February 12, 2008, 06:20:58 PM »
hello! here is my Q:

Isn't it true that even if you put some bad foods into your body that if you put more healthy into your diet, right along with it- then your body is healthy? :-\
"I'd rather be a gatekeeper in the house of my God than to dwell in the tents of the wicked."

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
Re: Overall Q of Health
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 10:21:00 AM »
Whether or not you are healthy would depend on how much "bad" stuff goes in and what happens to it once it gets there.

If your liver and other "cleaning" organs are in tiptop shape then they will take care of most things. After all, that is what they were designed for.

But if they are being over loaded with bad stuff it will catch up to you.

Also, your body often uses "bad" stuff just like it would use "good" stuff. For instance, it may use some bad unsaturated fats or hydrogenated fats instead of  the good saturated fats as building material for your cell walls. This will produce cell walls that are either too floppy or too stiff to allow the cell to function and reproduce properly. And it may take a while but this will definitely catch up to you to.

So IMHO, I think a little bad now and then would not hurt you but to much or the wrong "bad" choices made too often, would - even if you are eating some "good" things.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 12:10:03 PM »
Just to be contrary, if I smoked cigarettes but breathed in way more fresh air than the cig air on a daily basis, wouldn't I be healthy?

Now that I've been sassy, I agree with WR.  It also depends on what one's definition is of "bad."

I always get frustrated to hear the examples of people who live to be 100 and eat bacon grease and drink martinis every day of their life.  I do think God gave some people incredibly strong constitutions, whether it is God actually, or genetics or just dumb luck, I dunno.

But I know the odds are this:  the more true, good, whole and natural foods and things I put into my body, the better my body will be.  In theory it should be so.

And I know this, that our incredibly designed bodies can take an awful lot of abuse and neglect for a time and then the problems will arise.  Some folks can take 25 years of junk food, some can take 5, and some can take 75.  But we all pay in ways we don't even realize.

So I say enjoy a few "treats" and weaknesses from time to time, but our overall goal should be the best we can make, afford and do for ourselves and our families.

Sermonette . . .

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 12:50:52 PM »
I always get frustrated to hear the examples of people who live to be 100 and eat bacon grease and drink martinis every day of their life.  I do think God gave some people incredibly strong constitutions, whether it is God actually, or genetics or just dumb luck, I dunno.
or maybe the world has just brainwashed us into thinking that bacon grease and martinis are bad.  My grandparents lived on bacon grease, biscuits and gravy, meat, eggs and potatoes.  My grandfather also smoked and drank regularly.  Grandma never did either but lived with 2nd hand smoke.  They lived to be very old and healthy. 

I know many who don't smoke, eat high carb/low fat diets (even from scratch) and salads and never touch a drop of alcohol and are in very poor health (RLS, Lupus, Arthritis, Diabetes, etc).

I don't think this is dumb luck.  I think it's a matter of us not seeing the forest for the trees. ;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 12:53:12 PM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 01:05:09 PM »
Should've know HB would pick up on the bacon grease and martini example!   ;)

And you're right HB, the new American diet of low fat and high carb is not healthy.  So I guess it depends on what the definition of healthy food is to begin with and then go from there.

If my parents knew I was eating coconut oil, butter, full fat dairy, raw milk, etc., they would think we were all headed for heart attacks and high cholesterol. 

Offline here2serve

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 02:40:49 PM »
or maybe the world has just brainwashed us into thinking that bacon grease and martinis are bad.  My grandparents lived on bacon grease, biscuits and gravy, meat, eggs and potatoes.  My grandfather also smoked and drank regularly.  Grandma never did either but lived with 2nd hand smoke.  They lived to be very old and healthy. 

I know many who don't smoke, eat high carb/low fat diets (even from scratch) and salads and never touch a drop of alcohol and are in very poor health (RLS, Lupus, Arthritis, Diabetes, etc).

I don't think this is dumb luck.  I think it's a matter of us not seeing the forest for the trees. ;D

You mentioned how your grandparents lived to a ripe old age even though they ate/lived what we consider 'unhealthy' now... But they probably worked a lot harder than the average American now days too! ;)
  Maybe thats part of the 'key'??
~ happy to serve my mr. steady and our 5 sweet treasures...

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 08:11:44 PM »

You mentioned how your grandparents lived to a ripe old age even though they ate/lived what we consider 'unhealthy' now... But they probably worked a lot harder than the average American now days too! ;)
  Maybe thats part of the 'key'??
My grandmother worked in a bakery and then was a SAHM in town.  My grandfather was a jet mechanic for TWA.  They were both on the farm when they were kids, but just regular working folks like some of us after they were married.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 03:23:57 AM »
i always wonder if health into old age as anything to do with happiness in general.  if they are just happy people, maybe they just live longer in better health.  i think it's not all about food.   ;)
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 07:22:46 AM »
i always wonder if health into old age as anything to do with happiness in general.  if they are just happy people, maybe they just live longer in better health.  i think it's not all about food.   ;)

A merry heart doeth good like a medicine. :)

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 08:47:46 PM »
Ok - in talking about how we have been brainwashed to think that low fat/ high carb is the way to go.....What would you all say is a healthier percentage breakdown of carbs/fat/protein.  The "stats" say 55/30/15 is the way to go.  Some go MUCH lower with the fat than that. 

What are your percentages?  Do you have ideals in this area?

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 04:27:46 AM »
Ok - in talking about how we have been brainwashed to think that low fat/ high carb is the way to go.....What would you all say is a healthier percentage breakdown of carbs/fat/protein.  The "stats" say 55/30/15 is the way to go.  Some go MUCH lower with the fat than that. 

What are your percentages?  Do you have ideals in this area?

I can only tell you what I do and what I think works for me as far a diet...
I do believe that there are different metabolic types and that some people respond better to more carbs/less protein while others do better with higher protein and less carbs..
What I find works best for me and my family is the zone's 40/30/30...
One of my few issues with the zone is that he really looks at food on a chemical level and sees a carb is a carb with some respect to glycemic index....   I think stressing high quality sources of each of these including whole grains, lean protein, and high quality fats are what I feel the best on....
I do know that when I was a fanatic exerciser, many trainers encouraged me to really drop the fat, saying that I would never really "lean down" until I did... My body fat was only 20% and I was happy where I was so I didn't feel the need to cut out any more. 

Offline MelShell

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 04:41:05 PM »
From what I've learned from Nourishing Traditions, the fats 'back then' (most of them) were better than the fats today.  Animals were not fed hormones and were more often raised on grass.  Therefore the bacon people ate was actually good for them!

Offline Hudson

• Learning
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 06:54:27 PM »
 A fitness program and a healthy diet are a successful recipe for a healthier life.  if you don’t eat healthy you won’t see the results you expect. Always eat healthy diet whether you want to loss weight or grow up your muscles.