Author Topic: Post Cholecystectomy: Supplements & Diet for Missing Gallbladder  (Read 139609 times)

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
Re: Post Cholecystectomy: Supplements & Diet for Missing Gallbladder
« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2008, 03:46:57 PM »
HB, thanks for all the info.  Could you tell us which Enzymes he takes---or does Now just have one Enzyme formula?  Thanks.
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2008, 04:22:44 PM »
HB, thanks for all the info.  Could you tell us which Enzymes he takes---or does Now just have one Enzyme formula?  Thanks.
http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=857&at=0
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2008, 12:50:45 AM »
My brother-in-law had his gallbladder removed a couple years ago. Since then, he has had painful diarrhea and forms of IBS.  He has taken bacteria and enzymes with no avail. 
Then, I made him a jar of homemade Kimchi, and he said for the first time in years, he had a solid stool and no pain.
So....homemade enzymes work best for him. HTH!  ;)

Offline beckyoto

• Learning
« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2008, 02:52:19 AM »
HealthyinOhio, have you shared your Kimchi recipe on WellTellMe before? If not, would you be willing to put it here? I sure would love to try it  :)

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2008, 07:27:46 AM »
HealthyinOhio, have you shared your Kimchi recipe on WellTellMe before? If not, would you be willing to put it here? I sure would love to try it  :)

There are MANY good recipes, here: HTH
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,44.0.html

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2008, 08:13:36 AM »
My brother-in-law had his gallbladder removed a couple years ago. Since then, he has had painful diarrhea and forms of IBS.  He has taken bacteria and enzymes with no avail. 
Then, I made him a jar of homemade Kimchi, and he said for the first time in years, he had a solid stool and no pain.
So....homemade enzymes work best for him. HTH!  ;)
My husband already eats Kimchi but not every day.  But I suppose I didn't really consider this a possible remedy since it's already been a part of our regular diet for the last 13 years and a part of his since birth.  ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline oldcatlady

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2008, 07:03:37 AM »
What a lot of info and varying symptoms!  I've read it all and my mind's reeling - so some initial help here would be appreciated.  I got my gall bladder out 8 years ago and over the past 2 years have developed constipation, bloating, and slimy green stools. My MD did some tests and my liver function is fine - so he put me on that powder to absorb bile in the intestine but it makes the constipation and bloating worse.
I'm on Align probiotic.  No diarrhea.  I do have a bad habit of not eating very often during the week at work (so busy) and I don't drink much water.  It seems my intestinal tract is just sluggish. 
So I'm trying to eat more frequently, drink more water, and take Calcium citrate to help buffer the bile acids.
Any other advice?

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2008, 09:17:07 AM »
I had my gallbladder out 12 yrs ago right after the birth of my 2nd.  I've had problems off and on ever since.  They put me on a powder, but that only made matters worse.

My symptoms got worse with this pregnancy after having had a severe stomach bug.  I started taking NOW Super Enzymes and Gr8dophilus with every meal.  They've made a huge difference. 

I have tried going a day without them here and there, but my symptoms return.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2008, 09:43:09 AM »
What a lot of info and varying symptoms!  I've read it all and my mind's reeling - so some initial help here would be appreciated.  I got my gall bladder out 8 years ago and over the past 2 years have developed constipation, bloating, and slimy green stools. My MD did some tests and my liver function is fine - so he put me on that powder to absorb bile in the intestine but it makes the constipation and bloating worse.
I'm on Align probiotic.  No diarrhea.  I do have a bad habit of not eating very often during the week at work (so busy) and I don't drink much water.  It seems my intestinal tract is just sluggish. 
So I'm trying to eat more frequently, drink more water, and take Calcium citrate to help buffer the bile acids.
Any other advice?
http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,15683.msg199451.html#msg199451
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline jhandrh

• Adept
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2009, 03:56:32 PM »
Just an update on what I've learned in the last few months.  As I posted on the pcos thread, I went on a gluten free dairy free (no lactose OR casein) diet for the past 4 months and my uh, delicately balanced digestion is great as long as I don't get tripped up and accidentally get some gluten or dairy.  I also cannot do large amounts of sugar at a time. 
I was tested for celiac disease but the tests came back inconclusive.  However, because of the many celiac symptoms I had, I tried eliminating gluten to see what happened.  OH MY WORD what a difference!  I didn't know you could feel this good.  When I was still getting tripped up occasionally, I eliminated dairy products and cut back sugar to only small amounts occasionally.
When I am neurotically diligent with my diet (and I am very vigilant about not getting even trace amounts of gluten or dairy; and I DON'T cheat--if I get tripped up it is by accident) I have regular once/twice daily bm's (you were all wondering, right? ::)), almost no bloating/gas, and NO abdominal pain.  No phantom gallbladder pain either.  I just can't say enough good about this gluten free casein free diet.  Yeah, it's a huge inconvenience but oh SO worth it.  I am wondering if my gallbladder was damaged by celiac disease in the first place??  who knows, I'm just glad to be feeling good now.
Hope this is helpful to someone.

Offline momofthreelittlemen

• Learning
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2010, 05:35:34 AM »
I just wanted to share here that I have found a great deal on NOW Super Enzymes on www.luckyvitamin.com. I am also hoping to find relief from extreme post gallbladder removal attacks. It has been 7 months and they are pretty bad. Thanks for all of the research!

Offline Sassafrass

• Learning
« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2011, 09:36:39 AM »
As one who has lived without her gallbladder for 25+ years....I can tell you it may not be too bad for him. I actually  naturally avoid fatty and fried foods, since they now have a tendency to make me queasy. I had a colonoscopy, and my intestines are like those of a ten yr old (according to my gastroenterologist!) I DO, however, take milk thistle and alpha lipoic acid, and they are both very important to the properly functioning liver.
Wow, good luck.

Sassy