Author Topic: Health Savings Accounts vs. Socialized Medicine  (Read 15978 times)

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
Health Savings Accounts vs. Socialized Medicine
« on: February 08, 2008, 08:46:44 AM »
Yes, we have socialized medicine in Ukraine... I do NOT recommend it.

Check-up doctors are assigned based on the region in which one lives. No, we don't get a choice. Everybody is over-worked and under-paid so the attitude is 'take-what-ya-get-and-be-glad-we're-seeing-you'.

Dh just informed me that private doctors cannot be licensed to treat pregnant women. The check-up dr I am going to will basically just be measuring me and giving me the necessary referrals for blood and urine tests, ultrasounds, etc. so I'm just not going to discuss my birth plan/goals with her anymore.

p.s. I sure hope Hillary doesn't win otherwise you could be joining me in the socialized medical system.

I would LOVE for people like you to write what a socialized medical system is really like. Give us your experiences...etc.

I don't think Americans understand that HealthCare being taken care of (paid and controlled by the Gov't) is not the same free choice "perfect" system it is now.

Most of the good docts will go to the private sector and they'll be just as expensive (probably more). Then, the people who can't pay cash will be stuck with Gov't doctors....who will probably (with time) act just as your doctor's described.

Everyone, PLEASE look into Health Savings Accounts (HSA). I truly believe a free market solution is the only thing that will get health costs into check.
With a HSA you have a high deductible plan. For example, we are planning to get coverage in which we pay the first $10,000 of our medical costs per year. I know that sounds like a lot, BUT, we would be covered 100% after that $10,000.
Some of you may be wondering how in the world that would help anything?
Well.... I would be paying for my doctor visits, minor surgeries, check-ups, etc. The insurance would NOT be paying--nor the gov't. That means the CONSUMER pays attention to how much the costs are. You can bet most people don't care how much the doctor is charging their insurance carrier or the gov't.

With a 10k deductible our annual insurance premium is VERY low. And if we have some sort or big emergency, we are not thrown into bankrupcy, etc. We just pay the first 10k. BTW, you can choose your deductible (like car insurance). Its just the lower the deductible the higher the premium.

The HSA is where you save your money. If you are not self-employed it can be like a 401-k.  The employer puts in $200 a month and you put in $200 a month. That means you can take your insurance and saved up money with you when you change jobs.
Its the difference in a Pension Plan (where you are dependant upon that company) and a 401-k, where YOU control your money.

Another issue WTMers might be interested is this:
When the gov't starts controlling your health care. Don't you realize that means they will become the "daddy". Do you think they will cover your costs if you don't do exactly what they say?
That means they will (probably) say: Get ____ procedure done (ex: vaccinations) or we won't cover your other costs. You will not be qualified.

No thank you m'am.

Offline crystal

• Adept
Re: Health Savings Accounts vs. Socialized Medicine
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 09:16:29 AM »
Kristen - I thought you forfeited the money if you don't use it by the end of the year. ???  That would be great if you could just pile it up.

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 09:37:10 AM »
Kristen - I thought you forfeited the money if you don't use it by the end of the year. ???  That would be great if you could just pile it up.

Yes, it just piles up with the HSAs.
The Medical Savings Account (MSA) does empty at the end of the year.

1. The Health Savings Account (HSA) does not "empty" at the end of the year.  AKA it is not a "use it or lose it" insurance plan.  On this type, you have a very high deductible.  That deductible is (ideally) kept in the HSA.  If one does not use the deductible it continues to grow (the money is PRE-TAX).  When you take the money out for medical reasons it is NOT taxed.  If you never use all the money it continues to grow and grow.  You get to take it out at retirement age (but it IS taxed then----growth is only NOT taxed when used for medical purposes).

2. The Medical Savings Account (MSA) IS a "use it or lose it" account.  Do not overfund this account!

« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 09:39:06 AM by KristenA »

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 10:26:20 AM »
Thanks! ;)  We are and have been trying to research our options.  We use (like any good wellteller) more alternative type medicine/vitamins, etc.. Our insurance premiums seem to go to waste, to a certain extent.  I am thankful that you started this thread. :)

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 10:27:20 AM »
How would one find out more about opening an HSA?  With regular health insurance, you pick your company and call them up.  Do HSA's work this way, or are they something entirely different?  I've just been hearing about them lately, and have to say I know nothing about them.  :-[

I agree, Kristen, about the government taking control of our health care, and then trying to tell us what we are required to do...  I know it might sound far out, but I worry about forced sterilizations, or being told how many kids you're allowed to have...  That's one of the reasons I'm interested in learning how to take care of myself and family - so that I don't have to depend on a doctor, if need be.

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 11:13:13 AM »
How would one find out more about opening an HSA?  With regular health insurance, you pick your company and call them up. 

I think it works that same way...you call up BCBS and get an HSA insurance account....

Here's an email I got:
Dear Kristen,

Choosing an HSA plan is so easy, that a majority of our members run quotes, choose a plan, and apply for coverage without ever speaking directly with me or one of our other advisors.  For information on how to sort through the many quotes and choose the best plan, please see our "How to" Guide.  It's easy to narrow down your search, and applying online usually only takes about 10 minutes.  You can also fax or mail your application.  We will be in touch immediately, and will make the entire process easy and hassle-free.

The previous quotes you ran can be viewed above.  If you have a quick question, either email me or call during our open call-in time from noon - 1 Eastern time every day.

If you are looking at premiums over $400 - $500 per month and would like some professional advice before making a decision, we are available for personal consultations.  You will not find a better source for accurate and unbiased information and advice about HSA-qualified health insurance.  We have been dealing with individual HSA plans since they first became available in January 2004, and have more experience with them than just about anyone.  What we will do is help you analyze all of the available plans in your area, so that you can choose the best coverage to meet your specific needs.  The comments below are typical of what we receive.

"We have had a very positive experience with your company to date.  Customer service, which came in the name of "Mark Rigdon" was outstanding.  Your responses to my many questions were both prompt and thorough.  I believe you had a genuine interest in helping us obtain all information necessary to make an informed decision.

Now, will you please develop sister businesses that similarly educate customers by providing clear information in a timely manner facilitated by professional employees."

Kathleen and William Harris
Florence, OR

In order to help as many clients as possible, we work by telephone appointment only.  When we first run quotes, we sometimes find over 100 different possibilities for coverage.  We will share with you the companies that offer the best options, the details of the coverage, the pros and cons of each plan, and our recommendations.  We can also answer any questions that you may have about HSAs and how they work.  For most people we can do this within 15 to 20 minutes, and you can get your new coverage in force in less than three weeks.

To see how to qualify, visit our Personal Consultations page, then call our office to request an appointment with me or one of our other advisors.

Sincerely,

Mark Rigdon
'Maximize Your HSA - We Make It Easy'
MarkRigdon@HSAforAmerica.com
800-707-9849 - Phone
866-284-0082 - Fax
www.HSAforAmerica.com

P.S. - New rates change every month, so the quotes you see may go up if you don't take action now.  Apply today, or schedule a time to talk with me so I can help you make an informed decision.

* If you are having trouble opening your proposal above, please copy and paste the following link into your browser:

http://prospectzone.com/quote/start.jsp?login=hsawlong

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog

Offline momof6

• Learning
    • mannatech associate site
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 04:07:56 PM »
Here is my experience with socialized medicine:

In Germany, there is no "choice" whether to give immunizations or not.   If I had known then that this was the case, I would have continued our medical plan from the US while we lived there.  Our first three children had some immunizations(all three of those were born there).  However, government health care there does pay for trips to Hungary if you have say, rheumatoid arthritis.  And, the waiting times are very long for any office visit.

While we lived in Russia, we had to use their health care.  I won't even "go there".......very scary.

We "qualify" for gov't health care here........but we choose not to.  We are members of Samaritan Ministries and love giving directly to other believers!  We also try to keep some funds aside for emergencies.

Sheri

Sheri

"My hope is built on nothing less than JESUS' blood and righteousness"

www.mannapages.com/sherireimer

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 07:09:41 PM »
We are getting a HSA as soon as I am past a six week check up (required for the insurance side) and budget adjustments  ;). The 10,000-11,000 deductible is going to be the most economical for our family. Currently we spend 5-6 thousand annually, including costs of birth. This is the same either doctor or midwife in our area... For another 2,000 a year we will be covered over 10,000.

Smaller deductible + higher premiums was an estimated $10,000 cost to us a year.
Highest deductible + lower premiums will be an estimated $7,000 - $8,000 a year or just over $12,000 in a worst case senario.

We are thankful for a plan like the HSA that gives us control of our medical decisions and still covers catastrophic events without "throwing lots of premiums away".

Samaritan and a few others did not offer as good of coverage in our opinion. Also when we checked into it we needed a pastor's endorsement to qualify. Dh doesn't want to be that dependent on the goodwill and perceptions of others as to our spiritual lives.  We do give to other believers in need and will continue to do so, but felt that the HSA way gives us the most choice and coverage. We to want to encourage others to do all within their means of keeping medical services a consumer driven business.  :)

Offline momof6

• Learning
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 04:56:21 AM »

Samaritan and a few others did not offer as good of coverage in our opinion. Also when we checked into it we needed a pastor's endorsement to qualify.

Just to clarify, all the pastor does is look over your form and verify that information, and that you indeed are faithful in that local church.  We think it is a good idea, keeping all members honest, but I understand your view. 

We also believe that health care must be consumer-driven.  We do not do "well" checks, and living healthy lifestyles allows us to only need a Dr. visit maybe once a year (not each, only one of the eight of us on average), and our birth costs were never more than $1000 (midwife).  So, I guess some people do have alot more health costs than us!  We have been blessed (undeservingly).

I do plan to look into the HSAs too.  We've only been in SM for 10 months so far. 
Sheri
Sheri

Offline IMPersuadd

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 06:56:29 AM »
We have an HSA also and love it.  Ours is currently through my hubby's employer but we can take it with us if he leaves.  Sort of like rolling over a 401K.  Anyways, we are currently building up our portion by automatic payroll deductions but the goal is by next year if we don't use too much to be able to cut those in half and potentially have it fully funded and not need to have that continual drain on paychecks.
We very much like that we know exactly what we are paying for and can negotiate for cash discounts with providers.  That, combined with more natural and home remedies, has seriously cut down our medical costs.
I aM PERSUADeD

Romans 8:38-39
II Timothy 1:12

Offline momof6

• Learning
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 02:38:30 PM »
Bumping this to ask if anyone else has an HSA and what their experiences have been.  I did check into it and it seems the perfect fit for our family.  I'm gonna ask my hubby to read what they e-mailed and see what he thinks.  I'm still foggy on the different options, so if anyone has more advice, I'm a-listenin'!  Thanks in advance!

Sheri
Sheri

Offline Farm Wife

• Adept
  • 24 years (still newlyweds) with 2 beautiful boys
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 04:23:09 PM »
Have it love it! We used Good Samaritan for years and they are good but raise prices eventually. We are with Golden Rule now and they set up a HSA for us. We have a $4,000 deductuble and pay about $335. a month for coverage for 4 people with $65. going to the HSA. We are self employed farmers. If more folks paid thier own medical costs we would all be better off!
Ephesian 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith: and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God, Not of works lest any man should boast. :)

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2008, 04:15:19 AM »
Hmm....Now how I am going to get all of you on the National News telling your stories?  ;D

I'm hoping to shut everyone up about the gov't taking care of us.... I plan crazy stuff like that.  :D
"How to defeat Hillary on her madatory "Unverisal Health Care". ergh
I even saw other democrats saying that Obama's plan was better because you could "buy into it and it was not mandatory".

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2008, 04:49:15 AM »
I think you mentioned earlier in the thread that you wanted stories from folks who have lived with socialized medicine.  Here's mine:

When healthcare is "free,"  there are a lot of healthy people going in for 'free' routine check ups.  Thus the doctors are always booked solid.  When I was little, I remember being sick and mom would call in, and there would be spaces left open for folks who had what I will call UN-planned-illnesses.  Well, I figured it would be the same when I became a mom.  NOT SO!  All appointments were booked two weeks in advanced, if for some reason you wanted to see the doctor today, you needed to go to either a walk-in clinic or the ER.

I had tried to make an appointment with our doctor when ds had a nasty case of pink eye...wasn't clearing up as well as his sisters' had, or the time dd had an unexplained lump behind her ear.  These were referred to the ER or walk-in clinic if I didn't want to wait two weeks for an appointment.   :o  I had an appoint with my doctor when I was pregnant with dc#3, and then saw him 4 years later because I felt the issue I wanted to discuss could wait 2 weeks...he was more than a little surprised to learn that I had 5 children that day.   ::)  (I had a midwife at home for #3, #4, and #5)  But because of the long line for doing tests, by the time I was able to get an appointment for an ultra sound, I had to cancel because it fell after our moving date.  Oh well.  If doctors actually had to earn our business, maybe the service would be better.

Since moving to a private health care country, I've been pleasantly surprised at the service I have received.  The doctor we saw gave us his cell phone # if things changed over the weekend and we needed to contact him.  :o   
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline Siege

• My avatar is my youngest frying deer tongue!
  • Adept
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 05:23:11 AM »
We have MN Care which is a state run plan. I HATE it! We cannot afford to go without it (boys and all) but are trying to find a way to...one day. It IS socialized. I called dentists to get my 6yods in. His filling had fallen out and I had been on a waiting list for 8 MONTHS! They said that even if I paid them cash I could not come in if i had MN Care, as by law I would have the right to use MN Care and many people would trick them saying they were paying cash and afterwards saying, "Here is my insurance" I said I will pay the cash up front, but NO....

We just set up insurance for our employees. We need employees wiling to stay for years, not a few months. We set the insurance up with a HSA plan, so IF the employee wants he an set up a HSA. My dh is the only one on the plan at the moment (lost our longest employee the beginning of Dec, they others have not worked long enough to qualify, and we had to lay them all off for winter) and we have not had enough $ to set up the HSA yet, but as soon as business picks up we will be. We will be putting $ in there for his eyes. Also, we found out that the CST (Craniosacral Therepist) we see qualifies. One day i hope we can afford to put the whole family on a HSA plan. CJ

Offline momof6

• Learning
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2008, 08:29:13 AM »
Another question re:  HSAs.  Can anyone direct me to a reliable site to seach on?  A dentist my husband talked to said to "watch out" because those high deductible plans, some of them, are scams. 

We are still with Samaritan Ministries, and like it, and may stay.  But, with 8 of us, and dental needs costing what they do (YIKES!)........we're still a-lookin. 

And, do I understand right, that it is possible to deduct medical bills when doing taxes??!!!  Too bad if it is, and I didn't know it.  :(  But at least I'll know for next year.

Thanks in advance,
sheri
Sheri

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2008, 10:18:23 AM »
Another question re:  HSAs.  Can anyone direct me to a reliable site to seach on?  A dentist my husband talked to said to "watch out" because those high deductible plans, some of them, are scams. 

We are still with Samaritan Ministries, and like it, and may stay.  But, with 8 of us, and dental needs costing what they do (YIKES!)........we're still a-lookin. 

And, do I understand right, that it is possible to deduct medical bills when doing taxes??!!!  Too bad if it is, and I didn't know it.  :(  But at least I'll know for next year.

Thanks in advance,
sheri
You can deduct medical on taxes if you have kept an itemized count, but for us the standard deduction is always more than our itemized total. We still keep receipts just in case.  ;)
Just look for the actual HSAs  not just high deductible insurance plans. There are two parts; the tax free Health Savings Account and the high deductible health insurance. And yes, the procedures have to qualify to be paid out of the HSA and the insurance part has the same limits of covered dental costs per year as regular insurance. There are also dental riders. You really just have to shop this as it is not a one- size- fits- all deal. I'd recommend someone, but I think the secondary insurance that goes with the HSA varies from state to state. You could look on daveramsey.com for an ELP reccomendation in your area. We've had good luck with the folks he recommends teaching us about the issue instead of just selling the product.

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2008, 02:23:21 PM »
For those of you with HSA experience -  How do I know if some of the "marginal" allowances are allowed?  All of the research that I have done is just confusing me.  Some sites say that things like cough drops and other over the counter meds are allowable.  Other sources say not. ??? 

Also, how do I use my HSA to pay for nutritional supplements?  I know that they have to be prescribed by a doctor for a particular condition, but does this mean that I have to fill the presciption at a pharmacy counter?  Or can I keep the prescription on file and just buy from wherever I want? 

I don't want to be audited in the spring.  We are loving having the HSA and having more freedom, but I am confused as to how to use it aside from practitioners and prescriptions.

I have downloaded the IRS publication, but even that is confusing me.

HELP????

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 04:22:45 AM »
This caught my eye and I was skimming thru the posts.  is there anyone else who has nothing?  My dh and I think that we are just better off paying as we go, no insurance.  My dc had what PA calls the bluechip, where you pay as your income is.  but now their so called every child is eligible, would cost us 400 dollars per month!  That's crazy. 

one thing no one seems to address is why do the insurance companies pay less than I do for services?  For example, if I go to the doctors it would cost say 80.00 but the insurance may pay only 30 or 40?  That just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I certainly don't want the gov't making me have insurance, I just don't see how they can, it is still a free county right? ;D

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008, 04:48:49 AM »
crystal, We have yet to set up the HSA as times have been tight. I do know the best info I found on what is allowed came from the insurance manager of the natural medicine's  office. HSA are such a new thing with many people not using them since they have insurance through their employment. There has simply not been enough time/usage for the standards on marginals to be set. Also many of the insurance managers in offices do not understand the code well enough to dispute in favor of the patient.
 At that time the office I talked to had not had a patient come through with an HSA for an arsenal of doc prescribed supplements; but the code indicates that it should be approved. Anything like Tylenol, cough drops, etc if prescribed by the doc should be approved.

Our continuing problem is that self diagnosis  is not covered. Seriously! How many of us are going to go to the doc for a cold? Or take a brand name cough syrup? We hate being without catastrophic coverage, but even the high deductibles/HSA'a are up in the 100s$ for our crew. Tough decision!!!

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2008, 04:52:34 AM »
WlWest, Knowing that insurance companies pay less than you do gives you power when doing your own shopping for medical services. When you have the freedom of cash payment/HSA you can get that discount. If you get an office that has not thought through the benefits of getting cash from a patient versus haggling the the ins. company for it, you have the freedom to shop some more- no network to limit you!

Offline Simply Kristen

• Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2008, 04:58:02 AM »
Early this year we purchases a high deductible insurance plan (HSA eligible) through Blue Cross Blue Shield.
It covers 100% healthy checkups: woman's annual, and children's yearlies.
It also covers 100% after our deductible is met.

We pay $187/month for the insurance coverage. My  husband likes knowing we won't go bankrupt or be paying back hospitals for the rest of our lives if an accident does occur. Hopefully we won't ever have to really use it and that the monthly premium is a "waste".  ;)

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2008, 07:39:04 AM »
We have had the HSA since September.  I am a bit gun-shy with this, but I think that, in the long run, we will like it.  Our employer is paying for about $700/month for a $6000 deductible, $10,000 stop/loss policy.  We are also getting about $550/month put into an HSA.  (In addition to this, we are putting anything "extra" that we can, personally, into the account.)  Our old policy had premiums that were jumping to $1500/month! :o  By using the HSA, our employer is saving a couple of hundred a month AND we have money available to use for things that aren't on the insurance policy anyway, like dental and naturopaths.  These were always HUGE out of pocket items for us.  Now, they come out of the HSA.  Next year, we can (between employer and us) put $6900 into the HSA, according to the IRS.

So, it is, I think, a good way for us to go.  BUTTTT..............How do I get things like over the counter stuff and nutritional supplements "approved?"  "Approved" by whom?  The bank, the IRS, the doctor or the insurance company?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 08:06:34 AM by crystal »

Offline miamama

• Adept
    • Picking Up Socks for Jesus
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2008, 09:04:22 AM »
How do I get things like over the counter stuff and nutritional supplements "approved?"  "Approved" by whom?  The bank, the IRS, the doctor or the insurance company?

We have had an HSA for a few years, and we also really like it because of the freedom and savings.  I have never taken the time to account for our over the counter stuff, but I beleive you need to send receipt copies to the insurance company, that way they can apply it to your "out of pocket".  The bank pretty much just holds the money for you. 
Visit my blog   Picking Up Socks for Jesus
http://www.pickingupsocksforjesus.blogspot.com

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2008, 09:12:04 AM »
I don't think that the insurance company really has anything to do with it. ???  These expenses would be uncovered by the policy, yet would/may be allowable to use the HSA for, as far as the IRS is concerned. 

Now....how do I make them "legal?"
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 09:15:47 AM by crystal »

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2008, 07:54:40 PM »
I don't think that the insurance company really has anything to do with it. ???  These expenses would be uncovered by the policy, yet would/may be allowable to use the HSA for, as far as the IRS is concerned. 

Anyone?

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2008, 04:31:49 AM »

Anyone?
I don't know much about hsa's, but I would look at the literature the irs puts out.
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p969.pdf

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2008, 07:29:02 AM »

Anyone?
I don't know much about hsa's, but I would look at the literature the irs puts out.

I have.  In fact, I printed out a hard copy.  I guess that I am just going to get a doctor's recommendation for vitamins and such and keep that paper on file.  I know that any nutritional supplements can only be claimed IF they are being taken for a specific condition, not just for general well being.  Over the counters that are used for sickness can be paid for with the HSA, I guess.  ???

I will proceed with the above plan and hope that we don' get audited, but will keep receipts, in case.

Offline Mrs. B

• Master
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2008, 09:14:26 AM »

Anyone?

I have.  In fact, I printed out a hard copy.  I guess that I am just going to get a doctor's recommendation for vitamins and such and keep that paper on file.  I know that any nutritional supplements can only be claimed IF they are being taken for a specific condition, not just for general well being.  Over the counters that are used for sickness can be paid for with the HSA, I guess.  ???

I will proceed with the above plan and hope that we don' get audited, but will keep receipts, in case.
I would just have your doctor write you a prescription for the items you want to use.  This way you have a copy for your records of it being a doctors order.  Just because it's on a prescription pad doesn't mean it has to come from the drug store.... think of it as being a doctor's order not a prescribed drug.