Author Topic: Dehydration  (Read 6597 times)

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
Dehydration
« on: July 27, 2006, 05:46:53 PM »
My children do not get enough water 16-22 oz. per day tops I know they need more I've tryed stickers,  praise,  bullying, everything, is it enough if they get other things instead of water or just water, we have a rule that they can't have anything else until they have had at least two glasses [16oz each] of water, most days they don't get anything else.
How do I know if they are dehydrated?
Sherri
Just learn'n but pioneer at heart.
Sherri

Offline Mrs. Dugger

• Adept
Re: Dehydration
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 06:44:24 PM »
My guess is that they're probably getting enough; I figure if I'm supposed to drink half my body weight in ounces (I'm 135 lbs, so that's 68 oz of water/day) they're probably good on the same scale.  So my 25-lb one year old would drink 12 oz and be okay.  She drinks a lot more than that in total fluids so I think she's fine.  That's just my un-educated guess :) 

Anyway, my favorite way to get her to drink more is to use a straw.  She will drink WAY more of anything if it's through a straw!

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 06:53:05 PM »
In addition to things such as a dry mouth, achy joints, achy muscles, inability to produce tears, feeling cranky and thirsty another sign of dehydration can easily be checked. If you gently pinch the skin on the back of a dehydrated child's hand, it flattens slowly when released. You can also do this with yourself. Often, you will find that a person is already dehydrated before he is aware of it himself. I would recommend keeping a cup in an easily accessable place with liquid in it. Also, they may be sensitive to cold, so let the liquid be at room temperature. Little sips throughout the day may get more liquid in them than trying to put a lot of liquid at one time in a small tummy.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 07:47:03 PM »
Anyway, my favorite way to get her to drink more is to use a straw.  She will drink WAY more of anything if it's through a straw!

I 2nd this and if you can find one of those crazy twirly straws (we have some with floating eyeballs), this always makes it more fun too.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 07:58:39 PM »
oh good one...i was just fretting the same thing and trying to get my 4 yr old to drink a glass of water before he left the table. he seems to want water mainly at night when i don't want him to drink so much then we have a wet bed. i also was thinking that if he drank more water he wouldn't keep saying "i'm hungry still" after 2 grown up bowls of cereal!! He doesn't drink any other liquids cept a sleeptime tea at night time so i worry about him too. He SEEMS ok though...here in AZ(DRYYYYY) gotta keep em pumped just can't seem to keep on top of it!
  Some ideas i've been thinking about though...starting the morning with a glass of water....even a small cup to start. i want to do the same cos after pilates a cup of coffee just aint cuttin it. :P :D  Again maybe it will help with his never ending stomach at breakfast time. ummm i don't know about you're kids but mine would rather drink from my or my mothers water bottle so maybe keeping his own filled up-he feels like a grown up i guess.  also i forget that my kids like COLD water...i drink room temp cos i have sensitive teeth (body absorbs it better too) but my kids are always wanting ice in theirs....which brings me to my next idea. SNOWCONES but just ice!! THE kids love it when i break out the snowcone maker...something about slushy ice eaten with a spoon...and HEY it's WATER!! their pretty cheap at walmart...mine was a mother's day gift!
  Any hoo...i dunno if these help but thanks for reminding me of them....
kittyninja

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 05:48:59 AM »
Great ideas the straws work for my 3Yod, my 6yos always drinks more than the girls,but my 60lb. 7Yod some times only gets 12oz. [if I keep reminding her].
Kittyninja,ice shavings, genius! and my son also eats a lot, like more than his father [if it's something he likes],and bed time tea useally "sleepytime".
Sherri
Sherri

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 06:40:44 AM »
You could also serve them lots of soups.  All that broth is full of liquid.  Just an idea.  What about making ice popsicles, made with just water.  What kid wouldn't want to suck that in hot weather?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 07:03:19 AM »
Kittyninja,ice shavings, genius! and my son also eats a lot, like more than his father [if it's something he likes],and bed time tea useally "sleepytime".

I 2nd this. ;D  It probably woudn't hurt to throw a touch of flavor in every now and again either ;)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 07:36:48 AM »
how much should a kid have for there weight my husband said 1c. for every 10lb. that would be 6c. for my 7yo and 2-3 is as much as she'll drink, but I'm going to try the ice idea.
Sherri

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 08:45:59 AM »
how much should a kid have for there weight my husband said 1c. for every 10lb. that would be 6c. for my 7yo and 2-3 is as much as she'll drink, but I'm going to try the ice idea.

Based on the water cure it's half your body weight in oz.  So, using that theory, your 7yo would need 30 oz which is almost 4 cups.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline kittyninja

• KITTYNINJA
  • Master
    • blogger
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 10:20:13 AM »

I 2nd this. ;D  It probably woudn't hurt to throw a touch of flavor in every now and again either ;)
  i do try to make REAL snowcones for them and put juice over them or sweetned herbal teas or something and it ends up sitting there turning into watery juice-seems that they prefer snow...must be because they're deprived desert dwelling kids ;)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 12:43:53 PM »
I thought all kids liked to eat ice.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline KatieMac

• Master
  • Alice Magdalene
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 03:58:20 PM »
I always thought snocone machines were a waste of money, but this thread is changing my mind...

Offline SHERRI REEL

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 12:39:39 PM »
My blender has an ice choping button on it. ;)
Sherri

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 08:34:33 PM »
My blender has an ice choping button on it. ;)

Mine does too, but it only works if there is a lot of liquid in there with the ice, of course, I did mention in another thread, I dropped my blender and it is no more.   :-\
  My favorite herb book!!