Author Topic: Dandruff! Help!  (Read 13521 times)

Offline princesstea

• Learning
  • Howdy!
    • My FaithWriters Profile
Dandruff! Help!
« on: November 04, 2006, 05:33:30 AM »
A few months ago, my mom posted a topic about greasy hair (my greasy hair). I wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the great advice. I've been using the borax shampoo and I don't have the greasy hair issues that I used to. But now my dandruff has started to come back. Is there anyway to nip it in the bud before it gets out of control? My scalp doesn't really itch, it just flakes.

???
Kaylee Bake

A face without freckles is like a sky without stars.

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
Re: Dandruff! Help!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 05:52:58 AM »
They've recently found a connection between dandruff and yeast if that give you some indication as to how to proceed.
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 06:13:49 AM »
More info....

What causes dandruff?
Dandruff is a minor infection of the scalp caused by an overabundance of a micro-organism called Pityrosporum ovale (P. ovale), a yeast-like fungus that is part of the normal skin flora.

The notion that P. ovale might contribute to dandruff was first proposed more than 100 years ago, but only in the past 20 years has research been able to substantiate this theory. Understanding that dandruff is a medical condition is essential in selecting a treatment that will return the scalp to its natural balance.

Dandruff is a medical - not cosmetic - condition
In the past, dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis were seen as two different conditions. Seborrheic dermatitis was treated with corticosteroids and dandruff was viewed as more of a cosmetic concern, and treated with shampoos and potions supplied by the cosmetics industry.

Around the 1960s and '70s, dermatologists began to use a number of new techniques to study skin structure and functions, including the growth of epidermal cells, which showed that epidermal cell turnover (the production and shedding of the uppermost layer of the skin) was increased in patients with dandruff. At that time, dermatologists assumed that it was the increased epidermal cell turnover, or "hyperproliferation," that was causing dandruff, and that P. ovale colonization was secondary.

It is now evident that the opposite is true: P. ovale overgrowth occurs first, and increased epidermal cell turnover is secondary. Hyperproliferation occurs because the skin is growing and flaking more rapidly as a result of the yeast presence.

How does P. ovale cause dandruff?
The research supporting the idea that P. ovale is a primary culprit emerged during the 1980s, and is based on the findings that:
  • P. ovale is present in both patients with seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff, as well as normal subjects who have neither;
  • reinfection with P. ovale causes the recurrence of dandruff problems; and
  • if the condition is treated with drugs whose common mechanism or mode of action is antipityrosporal, it improves.

The rapid growth of P. ovale often is triggered by an imbalance in environmental factors such as climate, heredity, diet, hormones and stress. As the body's natural defenses fight the excessive growth of this organism, the results are the symptoms of dandruff - flaking, scaling and itching.

Under normal conditions, P. ovale yeasts can live on the skin without causing any problems. For example, one study found that yeast-like organisms made up 46 percent of scalp flora in people without dandruff problems; 74 percent in those who had dandruff, and 82 percent in those who were diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis.
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline carolinachic

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 06:18:05 AM »
That was some interesting info! My dh has always had dandruff and since quitting with the shampoo and using baking soda and vinegar/lavender rinse, he has been free of dandruff. It's proabably been about two months now! :)
I love my kids! Austin 9, Avery 8, Haleigh 6, and Genevieve 4!!!

Offline princesstea

• Learning
  • Howdy!
    • My FaithWriters Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 05:08:28 PM »
bump...any more ideas for me???
Kaylee Bake

A face without freckles is like a sky without stars.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 09:01:18 AM »
Seborrheic Dermatitis: I get it that it is linked to yeast.  But from my extensive reading of HB's extensive research (I think I've only covered the tip of the iceburg HB! :)) I think she mentions that candida albicans is only one type of yeast, and that there are hundreds of other types.  The type that causes Seborrheic Dermatitis is pityrosporum yeast. 

So my questions are:
Is pityrosporum yeast overgrowth related to Candida? 
Is a yeast overgrowth on the skin related to an internal imbalance of yeast?
and finally
Has anyone had any luck getting rid of this topically, or is an internal cleanse really imperitive?

Thanks!
Gwen
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 05:57:14 PM »
Gwen,

We have the same issue in our house with two people.  I don't have an answer for you (I'm waiting for someone to answer you!) but I have noticed that treating yeast internally with nystatin has improved our situation.  I have not done a good yeast cleansing but we need to.  I have noticed that using ACV sprayed on the hair has also helped balance out the scalp pH which seems to help the dandruff a lot because if they miss it, I can tell right away. 

hth

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 07:43:39 PM »
I got rid of a flaky head by switching shampoos.  No SLS.  Also, I've read that chlorine shower filter also helps get rid of dandruff.  I haven't tried that, since just getting rid of the SLS has worked.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 03:19:16 AM »
hubby is shampoo free...he's actually pretty hair free at this point :).  He keeps it closely cropped, so it's extra obvious when he has breakouts.  It's not just traditional flakiness.  It's more like little pustules/red patches...seborrheic dermatitis.  Flakiness is the last stage, so that's why I put it into the dandruff stage (the same yeast causes both I think).

Thanks!...any other help?
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 03:32:15 AM »
hubby is shampoo free...he's actually pretty hair free at this point :).  He keeps it closely cropped, so it's extra obvious when he has breakouts.  It's not just traditional flakiness.  It's more like little pustules/red patches...seborrheic dermatitis.  Flakiness is the last stage, so that's why I put it into the dandruff stage (the same yeast causes both I think).

Thanks!...any other help?

Okay, that's the same stuff my SIL gets.  When she had her last breakout it was awful!  The #1 thing I found that helped heal it best was sunlight.  Lots of it.  I made her got out and get about 15 minutes of hot sun everyday right on her head (didn't let her stay in the shade).  That was the fastest healing she had ever done.  I did use something that I ordered from Austrailia that seemed to help.  I will have to look at the name of it when I get home from church.

Skelliott2, we've been SLS free in our house for several years now.  I'm curious, how long did it take for the dandruff to go away when you went SLS free?  I ask because I still use a dandruff shampoo (it's a natural one) for my girls because if I don't they look like grease monkies the second their hair dries.  I wonder if I start using BS/ACV or  Jasons on them how long it would be before they'd not be greasy/dandruff?

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline savannah

• Learning
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 12:45:15 PM »
is it better to wash your hair daily or every other day with dandruff?  i don't have oily hair.

Offline joychild24seven

• Adept
    • Cloth Alternatives for Women
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 04:33:37 PM »
is it better to wash your hair daily or every other day with dandruff?  i don't have oily hair.

IMO the less you wash your hair the better.

I had TERRIBLE dandruff until I stopped using shampoo. I've alternated between bar soap/vinegar rinse, and BS/vinegar rinse for two years now. No flakes/itchies except for the few times I've used shampoo.
Every Day You Save My Life

Offline savannah

• Learning
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 05:11:57 PM »

I had TERRIBLE dandruff until I stopped using shampoo. I've alternated between bar soap/vinegar rinse, and BS/vinegar rinse for two years now. No flakes/itchies except for the few times I've used shampoo.
which bar soap do you use?  also, is there a difference between unfiltered ACV and raw ACV or are they the same?

Offline amy

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 09:38:39 AM »

[/quote]which bar soap do you use?  also, is there a difference between unfiltered ACV and raw ACV or are they the same?
[/quote]

I need this info. too...so whoever has the dandruff solution, please reply  ;D
My dh had horrible dandruff and after researching online found a special shampoo that worked great, but we can't afford to buy any more of it right now. 

It would help to have specifics about the bs/acv solution...what exactly do you do with these?  How do you not use shampoo?  I'm not doubting it's probably better for you, but would have no idea how to make it work.  I have no understanding of how you could get your hair clean without shampoo (maybe I've been brainwashed).  Praying someone will provide more info.

Amy

Offline MamaSong

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 03:13:29 AM »

How do you not use shampoo? 

Okay, Amy...you asked!  Here's the 19 page mega-thread:

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,429.0.html

Offline amy

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2008, 03:48:09 AM »
Thank you so much!  I'm so glad you posted that link here.  As I read about people who got rid of their dandruff, none of them used shampoo.  If they did, their dandruff came back.  I read the details, set up a jar of baking soda and a spray bottle of diluted acv and a few drops of a couple essential oils I had on hand in the shower, and my dh started using it this morning.  I also passed on the idea of washing his underarms with bs...he's always complaining that they start smelling bad even right after he steps out of the shower.  I'm excited to see how well all this works.  I've joined him for support...maybe we'll have a soap free/poo free family soon! 

I'll update this thread soon to share how it works for dh dandruff.

Amy

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 09:35:15 AM »
I don't know where else to ask this question so here goes...

I've never had dandruff but my husband has and ACV works well for him.  If I use it, it tends to smell in my hair.  We're no poo and have been for a few years.  We use Bert's Bees conditioner only.  About a month ago, I started to get not just dandruff but something along the lines of cradle cap.  It's crusty patches and flakes out of my hair in most embarrassing ways.  It seems not to flake for a few days after I use ACV or lemon juice mixed with conditioner but keeps coming back.  I don't want to just cover up the problem but get rid of it!  I was just reading 'Fats that Kill Fats that Heal' and it suggests that it is a deficiency in essential fatty acids.  I've been pounding the CO and my diet is very clean (except, of course, when we traveled for Christmas to see family).  I noticed it just before that time.  I've been eating semi vegetarian before and after a 17 1/2 day healing fast in Oct. and I'm wondering if I just don't have enough good fats in me.  Anyone know if CLO is something to try before I go spend lots of $ on a good brand?  Any other suggestions are welcome.  Oh yeah...stress could be a factor, also, to a degree. 

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 01:58:46 PM »
I'm not sure if it's called psoriasis or not but my SIL has this exact same thing happen to her from time to time and it is NEARLY always connected to stress.  The one and only thing that helped her was sun.  Lots of it and it would be gone within a week.  Since vit. D is what we get from the sun I would presume that is part of it.  Try taking some D3 and see what happens.  I mean like, 5000 IU's for just a week.  Then maybe cut back some. Definately good oils.  Carlson Lemon CLO is a good one.  But for her, it's always been the sun.  I still treated her like she had cradle cap but it was the sun that healed it.  I would oil and comb out several times week until it was gone.

patti

Offline Godismyjudge:)

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 06:52:22 PM »
 Would if you live in a frozen tundra?!  lol ok that's a bit of an exaggeration. It's hard to get sunshine...when it's out, it usually means it clear and cold  ::).

I've had the sun heal a rash on my arm before, so I can voucher for that. ;)

I have a problem with dry hair. It's wavy and longish, but I don't shampoo, I only use conditioner (Redken, expensive, but one of the few I've found work for me). Still, I get dandruff the next day or two if I don't "wash" it again. >:( I've tried the baking soda and/or vinegar, and it's just too hard and drying for my hair...I look like a frizz bomb  ::).

Ideas specifically for this?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 08:02:26 PM »
Would if you live in a frozen tundra?!  lol ok that's a bit of an exaggeration. It's hard to get sunshine...when it's out, it usually means it clear and cold  ::).

I've had the sun heal a rash on my arm before, so I can voucher for that. ;)

I have a problem with dry hair. It's wavy and longish, but I don't shampoo, I only use conditioner (Redken, expensive, but one of the few I've found work for me). Still, I get dandruff the next day or two if I don't "wash" it again. >:( I've tried the baking soda and/or vinegar, and it's just too hard and drying for my hair...I look like a frizz bomb  ::).

Ideas specifically for this?

I also found the baking soda and vinegar to harsh on my hair and drying to it.  And I generally have very oily hair.  What I did finally get to work is baking soda, castille soap and water mixed together.  I wash with that and condition with either Jason Sea Kelp Conditioner or Jason Aloe conditioner.  This combo has worked very well for me and when my hairdresser saw me last she said my hair was in great shape.  I believe the castille soap makes the difference.

patti

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 03:09:24 PM »
Well, I'm not sure what did it but I seem to have solved the problem (for now at least).  I used Colloidal Silver on my scalp, and I did spray on some diluted DSS water but I've also been eating freshly ground flax seeds daily (about a 1/4 cup each morning) and increasing my intake of CO some.  I think it's a lack of fatty acids and stress but I figured that if there is a potential of some kind of overgrowth of bacteria, the CS couldn't hurt.  It's just too cold out right now to get any sun!  Thanks for all the suggestions.  The problem with me is I try them all at once and never know which one did the trick.   ::)

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 01:17:06 PM »
I just bought this shampoo and tried it for the first time yesterday. I was really surprised, I didn't think it would clean my hair but it did! And it has no nasty nothings in it! It was also quite a bit cheaper than my Organic shampoo (by itself, not counting conditioner) that I was using. I didn't know it when I bought it but it is a conditioner and shampoo in one, apparently you only barely rinse it out, or more depending on how much moisturizer your hair needs. It is very liquidy though so I had a hard time getting it everywhere so the sides above my ears are a tad bit greasy... I can't wait till I figure out how to use it best. :) I think I'll be mixing it with my vinegar rinse, and see how that does. :)

http://www.secretsofeden.com/servlet/the-2/complete-hair-shampoo-dry/Detail

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2010, 05:17:59 AM »
I'll be interested to see how the shampoo continues to work for you.  It sounds very healthy and I might give it a try if I see it somewhere even though I'm 'no poo'.  With my super curly hair, I could use the oils!  Where did you find it or did you order it from the link?

Also, I just got this article today.  I've use Biotin in the past and had forgoten how good it was.  It just might be the ticket for someone!

http://www.naturalnews.com/028198_hair_loss_biotin.html

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2010, 08:52:24 AM »
I got it from Azure, it was the only one they had that didn't have nasty stuff in it, besides their shampoo bars, but I tried those and they didn't get my hair clean at all. My hair was looking greasy yesterday evening, but I expected that since I didn't get all of my head with the shampoo. I'll be using it again today )if I get the time..) :) So we'll see. :)

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2010, 04:45:23 PM »
What are these ingredients?

....electrically engineered eloptic energized stabilized Oxygenated Water, ash of Dedecyl solution and dehyrabiethylamine, Natural vegetable moisturizing thickener, MSM....

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2010, 12:03:24 PM »
I looked up the water, it looks as though it is a really fancy (scammy) way of saying water with more oxygen it it. I did see some concerns for drinking that water, but nothing about using it externally. I could only scan the article really quick though.

I read an article that said that the ash was coconut derived... Sounds suspiciously close to SLS....  :-[

As far as the veggie thickener, I could see nothing about that that was to be concerned about.

MSM I have looked at, I have some slight concerns about it, but not as many as I did when I posted on the MSM thread.

*sigh* I suppose I should have read everything when I bought it, at least it's better than what I was buying. But I think I'll just use this up and find something else.  :-\

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2010, 04:33:52 PM »
I certainly don't want to discourage you from something that works, Happywifey. I'm still making do with 2nd best for my hair as well....

I was just so suspicious because I'm exhausting every possibility I can find for making my own. Without an emulsifier like SLS  you can only keep about 1% oils in suspension.

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2010, 03:52:43 AM »
I've been told that there are natural 'versions' of SLS.  If they are derived from a natural base, they are safe.  I've done NO research on this and was skeptical about the information.  It might be worth looking into.  It could be true or it could be just another scam to make us think something is natural when it's just another form of chemical compound they made from something that started out natural.  Hope that helps...some... :-\

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2010, 01:39:04 PM »
That is alright boysmama, I have a habit of not looking into things fully and really need to be doing that, especially before I buy anything! :) I will most likely be sticking with this until I find something better as this is the best I have found so far. I still like it except I haven't figured out exactly how to use it still. I think I'll need to start shampooing twice again with this, but I don't mind so much since it isn't such a harsh cleanser as the others I have seen. :)

T- I have heard that two, but I am not yet convinced, I'd like to see it from someone who doesn't have a product to sell. :)