Author Topic: Sun Spots, Age Spots, Freckles, & Various Skin Pigmentations  (Read 40922 times)

Offline Pennie

• Master
I have on my cheeks brown spots, I am calling them age spots.  Anyone know what I can do to make them go away?  One side just has a spot but the other side looks more like a patch.  They aren't really really dark but you can see them.  Help.  I not that aged!!  ;)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Sun Spots, Age Spots, Freckles, & Various Skin Pigmentations
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 09:05:25 AM »
I have on my cheeks brown spots, I am calling them age spots.  Anyone know what I can do to make them go away?  One side just has a spot but the other side looks more like a patch.  They aren't really really dark but you can see them.  Help.  I not that aged!!  ;)

I've never seen or tried this, but I think I heard once that lemon juice can fade brown spots.  Anyone else ever hear of this ???
  My favorite herb book!!

Nickole

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 09:30:32 AM »
Can't wait to hear some advise on this - I have the same problem, too which I thought was the "mask of pregnancy" you can get while pregnant.  I got some on my forehead with my 2nd pregnancy and my sister gave me some Mary Kay skin lightening cream which worked but then it would come back with sun exposure and with my 3rd now I have some on my cheeks too.  I'm kinda freckly anyway, so I thought it was just that, or a tan, but no, it's blotchy.  I have been using lemon juice (fresh) a few times a day and it seems to be working.  ARE these age spots?  Or that mask of pregnancy thing?  Doesn't that stem from liver problems?  Eeks!

Nickole

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 09:42:15 AM »
Oh, well, now I do have a five month old.  I guess it could be that but I didn't notice them until a couple of months ago.  I AM using my Rapha remedy and it may be working but it's kinda hard to tell b/c they aren't that that dark, just sorta.  I never thought about it be preg related b/c this was my fifth and never had it before.   ???  I will try the lemon.  I do have a friend that sells beauti control, I guess I could ask her but I think that stuff is kind of expensive. 

Offline visionarymom

• Adept
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 11:34:44 AM »
I just read in one of my herb books that age spots/liver spots, are a sign of a congested liver. :-\ If it occurs during pregnancy,  it's probably because of the extra load on the entire system. Maybe a liver flush or 2 would be in order, and keep them from reoccurring. Also, there are herbs specific for the liver to help clean it. Can't remember many right now, but I know Burdock is a really good one. I'll have to check on the others and get back to you!

VM

Nickole

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 11:40:57 AM »
Maybe I'll up my Milk Thistle intake then and see if that helps. 

Nickole

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 12:03:50 PM »
I just read in one of my herb books that age spots/liver spots, are a sign of a congested liver. :-\ If it occurs during pregnancy,  it's probably because of the extra load on the entire system. Maybe a liver flush or 2 would be in order, and keep them from reoccurring. Also, there are herbs specific for the liver to help clean it. Can't remember many right now, but I know Burdock is a really good one. I'll have to check on the others and get back to you!

VM
ew that sounds not good. Can you do a liver flush while breastfeeding? 

Nickole

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 12:05:51 PM »
I'm breastfeeding too.  Not wanting a total liver flush, I think Milk Thistle is Ok.   

Nickole

YoopreMama

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 03:58:22 AM »
I've been hoping to read about this...I'm Finnish w/ fair skin and these spots are all over our family...especially as people get older.  I've been suspecting a link to a clogged liver, as they are sometimes called "liver" spots...or age spots or "beauty" marks (yeah, right!)..even coffee spots.  Most of mine are flat...on my arms...mostly. few on face, but 7 year old daughter has some, too!  Another theory I've read is that the body is getting rid of excess food colorings this way, or something w/ the melatonin.  Anyone else hear about this?

I've heard of people getting rid of them, which seems amazing to me...anyone doing liver cleansing notice this?

Offline visionarymom

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 06:32:37 AM »
Well, I haven't checked yet on the various herbs, but When I was breastfeeding a couple years ago, I saw my naturopath for the first time. She put me on a basic intestinal cleanse, and after that was done (10 days), she prescribed a kidney flush (4 days) and a liver flush (the same one mentioned here on another thread). Sadly, I never completed the kidney/liver flushes at that time, because 2 days after the appointment was Thanksgiving, and I couldn't remain on the rather restricted diet for the duration of the cleanses.  :-[ (family would have been really offended if I didn't try EVERYTHING at the table!!!)

Anyway, all that to say, my doc told me it was okay to do the flush while nursing. I'm guessing that is as long as you are following a restricted diet during the cleanses, which for me meant NO protien (including dairy), lots of fresh veges and fruit in the am.

VM

ps It's important to cleanse the kidneys before the liver, so toxins can be more effectively flushed out.

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 06:50:54 AM »
I think I am going to do a flush.  Rebekah said that breastfeeding moms have done it and it has been fine. I am kinda scared though.  You know, if it ain't broke don't fix it. :) Cause the liver and gallbladder flush is the same and I don't want to bring on an attack but if it would help me lose weight I am all for it. and then there are the spots.  My dad had a gall attack and I convinced him to do the flush and he got nothing but he didn't do it right either he just kept eating whatever and used acv from walmart and then had it removed anyway and it was gangrenous the doctor said and then my dad felt stupid he treid a flush he said b/c you know that's impossible.   Hm, that is what I would expect a dr to say.  Anyway......I really want to do one but I will probly wait atleast until I introduce food to my daughter which I am not going to rush into.  She is 5 1/2 months but if and when I do one I will let you know if my spots disappear.  Here's hopin'  ;D

Offline visionarymom

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 07:03:52 AM »
I just remembered one other thing. This is already stated in the liver flush thread, but it's important to not eat ANY food the day of the flush. (actually I think the thread says something like after 4pm...can't remember.) But my doc reccomended raw apple juice fast for that day. I think its to build up bile before the actual cleanse, to get better results.

My baby was nearly 11 mo at the time, and eating lots of solids, so maybe waiting a bit would be wise.

Offline Pennie

• Master
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 07:29:03 AM »
VM, or anyone.  Did you do a parasite cleanse first?  It seems to indicate if you dont' you won't get very many stones.  I am and have been doing the water cure awhile but I can't really do a parasite cleanse.  Any advice or experience on that?

Nickole

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 02:16:16 AM »
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME THE DIFF. BETWEEN A MOLE AND FRECKLE???  I FOUND THIS QUOTE BUT STILL I CANNOT TELL B/C BOTH CAN BE FLAT?

"Freckles are small, flat, pigmented spots on your skin. They vary in color from red to tan to brown. Freckles are not present at birth. Instead, they develop in childhood and in later years as a result of repeated sun exposure. Freckles occur primarily in sun-exposed areas of your body, such as your nose and shoulders.

Moles (nevi) are clusters of pigmented cells (melanocytes). Although they often appear as small, dark brown spots, moles come in a range of colors and sizes. They can be raised or flat and can develop almost anywhere on your body — even between your fingers and toes. Unlike freckles, moles can be present at birth. They often become more prominent with age. Moles also may darken with repeated sun exposure or as a result of hormonal changes in pregnancy.

Freckles rarely develop into skin cancer. However, freckles are especially common in people with light skin, and having light skin that burns easily increases your risk of skin cancer. Also, some skin cancer in its earliest stages resembles a freckle. If you have a pigmented lesion — whether you think it's a freckle or mole — that changes in size, shape or color, or becomes painful, consult your doctor."

My son suddenly has a freckle or mole above his lip.  I mean, one day, BOOM it was there.  I am very freckly and my daugher has some moles, b/c some are where there is NO sun exposure (i.e. on her rear) or are raised.  Anyway, I think the freckle/mole is cute on my son, but I don't know why but I want to know WHICH one it is.  It really bugs me when I something perplexes me.  Thanks!

Nickole

« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 03:50:21 AM by Nickole »

YoopreMama

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 03:02:42 AM »
Nickole-
Thanks for sharing that stuff on moles and freckles--for shedding some light on it.  :)  I've always wondered about the difference.  Everytime I see a spot on my children I think, "LIVER CLEANSE!"   :o  Maybe I can relax and just think, "cute freckle!".   ;)  ;D

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 03:31:06 AM »
I can't give you any scientific info, but my freckles always go away in the winter time and my moles don't.  Freckles are very subject to fade or darken from the sun.  Moles appear and either get bigger or darker, but they seldom (if ever) shrink or fade.
  My favorite herb book!!

Nickole

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2007, 03:53:50 AM »
I can't give you any scientific info, but my freckles always go away in the winter time and my moles don't.  Freckles are very subject to fade or darken from the sun.  Moles appear and either get bigger or darker, but they seldom (if ever) shrink or fade.

See, now I'm really confused, b/c the above quote seems to say that moles are the ones that will change, like fade or darken. 
I kinda wish my freckles would go away in winter!  I am covered in constellations of freckles.  Maybe the darker, less "blurry" ones (if that makes sense) are the moles then? 

Offline mexmarr

• Master
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2007, 03:57:32 AM »

This is the way most if my little siblings are (and I used to be).  Lots of freckles in the summer, mostly gone by the end of winter.  I had lot of them 15-20 years ago.  Very few now.

I've got the same moles I've always had.

Offline steadygirl

• Adept
    • My church home page
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2007, 05:30:48 AM »
All of my moles are  raised- and I have quite a number of them.  :PThey run in the family. Freckles are never raised- I have lots of those,too, but I like them. ;D

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2007, 07:43:56 AM »
Okay, here is my theory on moles vs. freckles!  :D  I think freckles used to be more commonplace than moles.  Freckles seem to be a lighter brown to almost red tint whereas moles are usually always darker.
In the older days, ever notice how womens' skin was usually flawless?  And if they had a mole it wasn't a mole, it was a beauty mark.  Because they usually just had one.  Now, people are covered with "beauty marks", but they don't seem to be called that, but moles, now. 
So, my theory is that moles have increased by the ten-thousands because of chemicals and chronic liver damage whereas they were not in abundance a long time ago.  Freckles have always been around. Just some thoughts. 

Nickole

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2007, 08:40:23 AM »
Okay, here is my theory on moles vs. freckles!  :D  I think freckles used to be more commonplace than moles.  Freckles seem to be a lighter brown to almost red tint whereas moles are usually always darker.
In the older days, ever notice how womens' skin was usually flawless?  And if they had a mole it wasn't a mole, it was a beauty mark.  Because they usually just had one.  Now, people are covered with "beauty marks", but they don't seem to be called that, but moles, now. 
So, my theory is that moles have increased by the ten-thousands because of chemicals and chronic liver damage whereas they were not in abundance a long time ago.  Freckles have always been around. Just some thoughts. 

Interesting...Yeah, beauty mark sounds so much better than "mole"  :D.
So moles are the result of liver damage you think?  And freckles are just from the sun?  Luckily, I truly think I am just covered in freckles.  None are raised, but the quote I found says they can be flat, but I still think they are freckles.  And that spot on my son's upper lip seems more like a freckle to me.  Light brown, tiny, flat spot.  Freckle sounds like a cuter word than mole anyway.  :)

Offline K.Sarah

• Adept
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2007, 10:15:23 AM »
I have always had freckles across my nose and cheeks in the summer, and also on my shoulders.  My second daughter is the same -- pink cheeks, lots of freckles when we are out in the sun.

I also had a large, raised mole on my collarbone that I had all my life.  I had it removed eventually because it became irritated by my shirts all the time and was just annoying.  (It wasn't really a big deal to have it gone).  Same daughter also has two small raised moles on her neck which I am keeping an eye on.

I just always assumed that some people have more of both than other people do!
Happily married to my kind of guy, mama to 4 great  kiddos here and one little beauty with our Father.

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2007, 03:29:07 PM »
If the mole is reddish in color it means that the liver has to many toxins in it. If you clean up it will go bye bye! :)
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline AllinHisTime

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2007, 06:54:13 PM »
If the mole is reddish in color it means that the liver has to many toxins in it. If you clean up it will go bye bye! :)

Cool!  I did not know this!  Considering I have lots of both, I should probably do a liver cleanse. I've been planning on it anyway in preparation for the Master Cleanse. 
A truth's initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed...When a well packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.-- Dresden James

Offline Mom2four

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2007, 04:14:45 AM »
Very interesting about the liver.  I did not know that.  My mom has lots of raised moles and my dermatologist tells me they are genetic and I will start to get them as a get older.  I mean, she has LOTS!!  But, now that you mention it, most of them are a reddish brown.  My mom is a walking toxin - seriously, she refuses to do anything to cleanse her body and she has every minor ailment known to man, plus a few major health issues.  However, most all of them seem to be self-induced, or at least made worse by diet and lifestyle.  Of course, I can't tell her anything!!  ::)

Anyway, I have a couple of light brown moles on my chest that began to raise up a little during my last pregnancy, but they are not very large or very "high" so I haven't had them removed.  Because of where we live (south FL), I do have a body check every couple of years, so the dermatologist can keep an eye on me.  I had one mole removed from my back a few years ago.  It was slightly raised and it was a whiteish color.  She said that it was fine, but that the whiteish colored ones have the potential to "go bad."  I don't know about that, but I figured it couldn't hurt to be done with it - especially in our climate.  I don't lay in the sun, but I keep a slight tan just from going to and from the car or walking around in the yard for a few minutes.  The sun is brutal down here.

Offline babymakers

• Adept
    • Babeemakers
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2007, 04:34:06 PM »
Very interesting about the liver.  I did not know that.  My mom has lots of raised moles and my dermatologist tells me they are genetic and I will start to get them as a get older.  I mean, she has LOTS!!  But, now that you mention it, most of them are a reddish brown.  My mom is a walking toxin - seriously, she refuses to do anything to cleanse her body and she has every minor ailment known to man, plus a few major health issues.  However, most all of them seem to be self-induced, or at least made worse by diet and lifestyle.  Of course, I can't tell her anything!!  ::)

Anyway, I have a couple of light brown moles on my chest that began to raise up a little during my last pregnancy, but they are not very large or very "high" so I haven't had them removed.  Because of where we live (south FL), I do have a body check every couple of years, so the dermatologist can keep an eye on me.  I had one mole removed from my back a few years ago.  It was slightly raised and it was a whiteish color.  She said that it was fine, but that the whiteish colored ones have the potential to "go bad."  I don't know about that, but I figured it couldn't hurt to be done with it - especially in our climate.  I don't lay in the sun, but I keep a slight tan just from going to and from the car or walking around in the yard for a few minutes.  The sun is brutal down here.
I personally don't think the sun causes cancer and ailments like they say it does. Now if you are baking in the sun on purpose for hours you might have a problem. I personally believe the sun is GOOD for you. I think all the cancer scares are from the things we put on our body and let the sun bake into our flesh.
Visit my-

eBay Store, and <a href="http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/babymakers/ ">blog[/url].

Offline ShannaC

• Adept
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2007, 11:18:48 AM »
I was wondering if anyone knows of anything to use for skin pigmentation on the face. I have always had skin that easily gets 'splotchy', most noticably in the summer when I am exposed to more sun. But it is always there.  I got the 'mask of pregnancy' when I was pregnant (my son is 2 now) and it seems to still be there and really appear in the spring/summer.  I use sunscreen. I read on another post that neem oil helps with pigmentation but that was related to fungus. Think it might help me? 
Thanks for any help...
Shanna

Offline Fallmom

• Learning
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2007, 09:10:22 AM »
Hello,  Just wondering if anyone else nearing 40 has had any luck with getting rid of brown spots that develop from the sun?  Mine look like freckels or age spots.  I abused my skin when I was young, but have taken better care to use sunscreen as an adult.  Thanks!

JoyInHim

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2007, 05:09:08 AM »
I recently read that the milk from Dandelion stems can fade brown spots.  I get a couple every spring on my face in the same spots....light brownish patches (age spots?) that I didn't notice before.  They are on the left, the side that always got more sun in the car, driving to and from work for years!

I will give the Dandelion a try and report back in a few weeks.

Hello,  Just wondering if anyone else nearing 40 has had any luck with getting rid of brown spots that develop from the sun?  Mine look like freckels or age spots.  I abused my skin when I was young, but have taken better care to use sunscreen as an adult.  Thanks!

Nickole

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2007, 08:31:32 AM »
Hey guys, I am really wanting to get rid of sun damage on my face.  I was at the plastic surgeons office this morning for my son's mole removal and I saw on the video they have playing in the waiting room about a skin care system to repair sun damage and the before and after pics were really nice.  No makeup mind you.  Anyway, as mentioned in this thread, I really think that the blotchiness on my face is sun damage.  I do have freckles but I also have light brown splotching that I really want to clear up.  There are so many products out there to repair this damage, but does anyone know of one that has really worked for you or someone you know?  B/c I am sure these products are pricey.