á á á á á á á

Author Topic: Tell Me About Salt  (Read 11756 times)

Offline amandamook

• Adept
Tell Me About Salt
« on: January 30, 2008, 10:29:51 AM »
Why is sea salt healthier?
Is iodized salt okay?
Iodized sea salt?
Is sea salt from the health food store better than the grocery store variety?

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
Re: Tell Me About Salt
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 04:56:14 AM »
Refined salt only has Sodium and Cloride but good sea salt has a bunch of trace minerals in it. Even though you only need "trace" amounts of these minerals they are essencial to good health. And sea salt has less sodium and cloride, which is good news for anyone on a low sodium diet.

Here's a quote from the Weston A Price Foundation:
COMMERCIAL SALT
The salt that you find in table salt and most processed foods is sodium chloride. Salt in this form has been processed at high temperatures, which changes the molecular structure and removes vital minerals from the salt. Table salt also contains additives, anticaking agents, and even sugar. Excess salt consumption is associated with high blood pressure, fluid retention, heart and kidney disease.

Trash It: Dump out your salt shaker and toss out all other packaged or processed foods with a high sodium content. This should be pretty easy for most people.

Stash it: We have been told for years to avoid salt, but following this advice can lead to even more problems. We are all salty on the inside--our blood, sweat, tears, and even our urine--it's all salty. It's important to replenish the salt in our body, using the right salt is what makes all the difference in the world. The best way to put salt back into your body is to use Celtic sea salt. This high quality salt contains over 80 balanced minerals from the sea. Celtic sea salt is essential for maintaining proper fluid balance and utilization in the body. It also normalizes blood pressure, enhances digestion, and nourishes the adrenal glands. Celtic sea salt is available at many natural food stores or can be ordered through The Grain and Salt Society, call 1-800-TOPSALT.

Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline amandamook

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 12:29:23 PM »
Thanks whiterock! Do you think I should continue to use my grocery store sea salt or just trash it?

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 07:47:33 PM »
Thanks whiterock! Do you think I should continue to use my grocery store sea salt or just trash it?

Some ways we eventually used up our "bad" salt was in things like homemade play dough, the ice in the ice cream maker, or for tanning hides. ;)

Offline heightgrowthshoes.com

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 12:31:04 AM »
great day to you all

Offline crystal

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 01:55:50 PM »
Is spending a lot of money on RealSalt or on Celtic sea salt really that important when refined sea salt is SO inexpensive?  Does the expensive salt really make a difference in one's health?  Enough to warrant the cost?   ???  Like all of you, we have to weigh out what we are going to "splurge" on when it comes to healthier choices.  I do agree that the RealSalt and Celtic Salt are better for us, but is it worth the money? 

Your opinions, please! :)

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 02:14:14 PM »
I will say that RealSalt lasts a LONG time.   We have a family of 6, and do use salt.  So, while it is more expensive than than factory made salt, it really only added about $5.00/year to my grocery bill.  It also does taste better.  :)

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 02:15:06 PM »
I posted this on the sea salt thread but it applies here also. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

ok so--for those of you who use REAL SALT.  do you use it for everything? cooking and at the table?   it seems difficult to work this into the budget!   :o   how long does 25 lbs. last?  less than $2 a lb would definitely be better than what i paid!  my one son thinks he needs to salt things a lot.  i bought some, and am afraid to use it cuz it's soooo expensive!  as if i should only use it for certain things or something!   ::)  silly me!  does it take less in recipes or something?  

Yes it's expensive but overall salt isn't used it that large of amounts so it's not too bad on the budget. Real Salt doesn't just make food salty, it brings out the flavor of the food so you tend to use less at the table anyway. How fast do you use reg. salt at your house? That will give you an idea of how long Real Salt would last. As far as recipies, I leave out the salt in many so you could cut the salt if you want to & since Real Salt brings out the flavor you may find that everything tastes the same (or better) even with less salt. You might also try kelp (ground seaweed) in some things. Even my salt fiend DH likes kelp at the table on certain things & likes it when I use it in cooking. It's salty, brings out the flavor of food, & DH says it tastes sorta like pepper. I like it on certain things too but I don't think it tastes like pepper. It costs about the same as Real Salt or maybe even a little more but it is VERY high in vits. & minerals & you don't use as much as you do of salt. Besides, it weighs less than salt for the same volume so 1 lb of kelp goes MUCH further than 1 lb of salt. Check the iodine thread for more about kelp. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline miliconn

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 03:51:27 PM »
Hello,

I pretty new here, and I have a question about sea salts that I was hoping you could all help me with.

I am slightly worried about the purity of unrefined sea salt.  It seems to me that it would be nearly impossible for it "not" to be contaminated.  Some things that I have read have also agreed with this, that sea salt is contaminated with mercury and pcb's and a host of other things found in the ocean.  Dr. Mercola says Himalayan salt is okay, but there is no way my husband will let me spend that much on salt!  (and he is is a very understanding husband). 

So, I guess my question is, is contamination something I should be concerned about with sea salt? 

Would it be better to just try to find a table salt that doesn't include aluminum and is possibly not bleached and supplement with kelp?  I know that there are a lot of problems with table salt, but if I have to choose between regular table salt or sea salt that is contaminated with mercury, I choose the bad table salt.

Any thoughts????  Maybe I am not understanding something.  Thanks!

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 06:32:19 PM »
Hello,

I pretty new here, and I have a question about sea salts that I was hoping you could all help me with.

I am slightly worried about the purity of unrefined sea salt.  It seems to me that it would be nearly impossible for it "not" to be contaminated.  Some things that I have read have also agreed with this, that sea salt is contaminated with mercury and pcb's and a host of other things found in the ocean.  Dr. Mercola says Himalayan salt is okay, but there is no way my husband will let me spend that much on salt!  (and he is is a very understanding husband). 

So, I guess my question is, is contamination something I should be concerned about with sea salt? 

Would it be better to just try to find a table salt that doesn't include aluminum and is possibly not bleached and supplement with kelp?  I know that there are a lot of problems with table salt, but if I have to choose between regular table salt or sea salt that is contaminated with mercury, I choose the bad table salt.

I'm by no means even remotely an expert on the subject, but my common sense thinking would be that if there is any contamination in the ocean salt, it would be super mild because that's one big place and dilution would at least take care of most potential hazard. In that case, where can we find anything on the earth that isn't contaminated to some degree, minute though it would be?

IMH, after finding out exactly what the bad table salt is and how it effects our bodies, I'd take super slightly contaminated unrefined sea salt over that any day. :)

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 06:55:07 PM »
Hello,

One option is to use Real Salt instead. Here's a quote from the company's web site:

"Long before the earth knew pollutants of any kind, a huge, ancient sea covered what is now North America. Pure, natural salt was the main ingredient of this sea, and over millions of years, the water evaporated, leaving the salt in undisturbed deposits. At some point during the earth's Jurassic era, a range of volcanos erupted around the ancient sea bed, sealing the salt with layers of thick volcanic ash, protecting these precious deposits against the pollution that man would eventually introduce into the environment. Near the small town of Redmond, in central Utah, approximately 200 miles south of Salt Lake City, we extract this hand-selected salt from deep within the earth, and bring it to you in its pure, natural state-without any additives, chemicals, or heat processing. This is RealSalt, full of flavor and natural goodness-the way salt was meant to be savored!

The RealSalt® Difference
Compared to RealSalt brand salt, many sea salts appear stark white because they have undergone a harsh refining process. Unlike RealSalt, these salts are filled with silicates, dextrose, and other additives. By contrast, RealSalt is an all-natural, kosher-certified sea salt extracted from deep within the earth, crushed, screened, and packaged. RealSalt's unique flecks of color are the result of more than 50 natural trace minerals essential to human health (including natural iodine!). Experience the goodness of RealSalt!"

Now if you ask me, the description of how the salt bed was formed sounds like it was the result creation & Noah's flood to me but that's another subject. Anyways, the point is, that since it doesn't come from current sea water, the mercury, etc that currently contaminates our seas is a non issue. That is one of the reasons I first tried it. We continued using it because of the flavor. The one thing that you have to get used to is the fact that it's got pink to reddish specks in it. That's just from the minerals that are in it naturally & nothing to worry about. It's just a little different looking, that's  all.

Here is Real Salt's web site:

http://www.realsalt.com/

HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 07:05:36 PM »
Interesting........ I had to share. After I posted the last post I was looking on the Real Salt website & they have customer testimonials. Several people said that it improved or cured high blood pressure, edema, etc. It's a balanced salt so that makes sense I just didn't expect it to be on the web site. So here's a link for the page for anyone that wants to check it out:

http://www.realsalt.com/customer_testimonials.cfm

Offline MommaDorian

• Learning
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 11:54:50 AM »
I sent my husband to the store for salt.  I didn't specify what type to pick, so he bought iodized & noniodized.  Which one should I be using?

Thanks.
Proud Mom of a child with autism!!!

If you've seen one child with autism, you've seen ONE child with autism!!

Offline MommaDorian

• Learning
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 03:09:14 PM »
bump
Proud Mom of a child with autism!!!

If you've seen one child with autism, you've seen ONE child with autism!!

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 06:47:21 PM »
scroll up to reply #1 on this thread by WR  ;) 
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.