Author Topic: Husband has had back pain, scoliosis, arthritis?  (Read 12651 times)

Offline wlwest

• Adept
Husband has had back pain, scoliosis, arthritis?
« on: January 25, 2008, 02:45:36 PM »
My dh has had problems with his back for about 4 years, maybe a little longer.  He just can't stand going to a chiro, he just can't relax so they can adjust him.  He went to a doctor twice for it.  ( he is the type not to go unless he is in pain)  The first one was not helpful, he said that he had arthritis and to buy a big bottle of aspirin and take that.

The 2nd was a lot better, he said that he has scoliosis and lordosis, and suggested going to a bigger hospital to be fitted for a brace.  Well, we just haven't had time, or $ for that right now.  That was about 2 years ago.

I haven't seen any threads on scoliosis?  Anyway, we are going to FL next week!  His back is out again, he gets crooked, pretty bad.  I ordered the muscle rub from bulkherb store.  Is there anything that we can do to help him?  He gets very discouraged, depressed.  He has always been a very busy guy. 

thanks
wendy w

Offline MamaSong

• Adept
Re: Husband has had back pain, scoliosis, arthritis?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 04:56:31 PM »
This might not help in time before next week, but my former chiropractor (before we moved) got a machine (Pro-adjuster) that allowed him to make adjustments without the traditional hands-on manipulations.  He got it because so many people get freaked out by the neck twist that comes with most adjustments.  Anyways, I don't know where you live, but here's the Pro-adjuster website Doctor Locator:

http://www.proadjusterlifestyle.com/locator/index.php

You can click on the links on the left to find out more about the machine. 

Offline jhandrh

• Adept
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 05:01:17 PM »
My dh has had problems with his back for about 4 years, maybe a little longer.  He just can't stand going to a chiro, he just can't relax so they can adjust him.  He went to a doctor twice for it.  ( he is the type not to go unless he is in pain)  The first one was not helpful, he said that he had arthritis and to buy a big bottle of aspirin and take that.

The 2nd was a lot better, he said that he has scoliosis and lordosis, and suggested going to a bigger hospital to be fitted for a brace.  Well, we just haven't had time, or $ for that right now.  That was about 2 years ago.

I haven't seen any threads on scoliosis?  Anyway, we are going to FL next week!  His back is out again, he gets crooked, pretty bad.  I ordered the muscle rub from bulkherb store.  Is there anything that we can do to help him?  He gets very discouraged, depressed.  He has always been a very busy guy. 

thanks
wendy w

I don't know much about scoliosis, but I can tell you what I have learned from having back and neck problems off and on for about 14 years due to a bulging disc from an injury.  My husband also has back problems due to being just plain accident prone and playing sports.  What helps us most is muscle work between visits to the chiropractor.  I am blessed to have an aunt who does reflexology/massage therapy who has showed me how to work on dh's trouble spots.  Muscle work would not help the curvature from scoliosis, but if you can find the tight muscles and do some gentle massage, it might help relax him and ease some of the pain.  When I work on dh, I find the really sore spots, and hold gentle pressure, with both thumbs, on the area till the pain eases--usually about 15 seconds.  If it takes longer than that, I am using too much pressure.  Then I follow it up with some light massage.  (Just make sure the sore spot is a sore muscle and not a pressure point.)  When I go to the chiropractor, I ask them NOT to adjust my neck because that sometimes makes it feel worse.  I ask them to just do the muscle work on my neck.  My back isn't as bad, so I get it adjusted.  Gentle stretching also helps my neck and back.  Nothing real acrobatic, I just find the tight spots and stretch as much as I can without causing pain.
I am not an expert--this is just what works for us. With scoliosis, I definitely would be really careful not to aggravate anything that hurts for him since it is easier to cause injury when something is already out of whack.  Hope you can find some answers.

Offline hicchik

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 08:29:31 PM »
Wow!  I think jhandrh's right on track!  If you can massage him right before a chiropractic adjustment, it will make all the difference.  The body was designed for "self preservation, if you will".  It makes its own casts by swelling, just as back muscles tighten because of subluxation.  (Misaligned vertebrae)  For me, a random visit to the chiro is just as beneficial to taking a vitamin when I don't feel good.  Doesn't have much benefit.  Its more of a consistant level at first, then tapered down to when my body tells me I need it.  And my body does...
I had scoliosis so bad when I was a kid, it was either major back surgery or literally die. I wasn't even going to make it through the school year.  My chiropractor and a back brace literally kept me alive until the surgery.  Long story short, I became a chiropractic assistant, and a student of the human body and found out a few things.  Now, that doesn't make me any kind of authority, just someone who's "been there"!   :)
Depending on the degrees of curvature, I would recommend a chiropractic program (at that time, I was going 3 or 4 times a week, 45 mn. away.)  Your chiro should tell you if he needs medical care.  If you want or can, seek a second opinion.  I would also recommend finding a cranial sacral therapist.  They work on people similar to the way jhandrh described.  I've had wonderful benefits w/ mine.  My dh calls our CS visits his 50,000 mile checkup.   ;D
HTH

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 11:03:05 AM »
Wendy, I can sympathize with your hubby. The scoliosis is pulling his muscle groups into some strange configurations. This results in muscle spasms that are indeed painful. The buildup of lactic acid in the muscle groups will contribute to the achiness. Often, as a result of the aches, a person will limit his/her movement and this will mean that circulation to the muscles is lower, meaning the blood isn't there to remove the acids and to deposit needed oxygen. This, in turn, leads to more aches and pain.

Something that may be very helpful to your hubby to reduce the pain and allow him to get moving again is to give him a dose of sodium bicarbonate and citric acid. This will add oxygen to the blood and help it remove the lactic acid from those sore muscle groups. Place 1/4 tsp of citric acid and 1/2 tsp of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to 4 ounces of filtered water along with whatever other flavorings you prefer (fresh squeezed orange juice, apple juice, honey, etc.). Wait for the mixture to stop fizzing. If you want, you can add just a drop (maybe two) if hydrogen peroxide to the water, but I wouldn't add any more than that. You can drink this every two hours (but not more than 7 doses in 24 hours). If you prefer, you can just use the original formula (before aspirin was added) Alka-seltzer tablets. It has the same ingredients listed on the label. If he takes this at least an hour before his appointment, I think he will find that it is much easier to be adjusted at the chiropractor's office and that he will be better able to incorporate movement (and thereby needed circulation) into his daily routine.

Let us know how he's feeling.
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline Missy

• Adept
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 11:46:12 AM »
Would back problems contribute to migraines?  My hubby gets some serious headaches every once in a while and I don't think it is due to his diet.  The bones in his lower back get real tight and achy.  It is not his muscles as he points out to rub the bone and not the muscle.  He is very active, sports, lifting, chopping wood, you name it and has probably damaged his back.   Should we go to the chiro?

Thanks!

Missy

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 12:39:34 PM »
I guess I should mention, that dh will not go back to a chiro.  So tdhat is def out.

He was doing some light work today.  He says it's better if he keeps moving somewhat.  I just really worry about the drive to Fl (from Pennsylvania)  It's going to be about 2 days drive.  We will sleep half way.

I've been making him take my Bone Ami.  So I'm hoping that will help.  I'm hoping my miracle rub will get here before we leave.   ;D

Wendy

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 07:31:44 PM »

thanks
wendy w

This won't help your trip to Florida but something you might want to consider when you return... My SIL has had scoliosis all her life but her parents didn't think they needed to do anything about it so they let it go.  Early in her 40's she started having severe back pain and at times would be in bed for days.  We ended up having her do physical therapy a couple of days a week for 6 weeks and she's never had trouble since.  If her back gets sore she works on the exercises they gave her and she's fine again.  I believe they were mostly stretching exercises.  Anyways, it might be worth considering some physical therapy to learn to deal with the scoliosis that way.  If I remember right, a brace after the teens years is not effective. 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 08:07:45 AM »
It sounds like with his difficulty relaxing that he may be somewhat hypertonic - meaning his muscles generally hold more tone than an average person (is the kind that can't sit still for long?  not necessarily hyper active, but likes to keep moving?)  Anyway, I don't know if he swims but if you can find a WARM WATER pool for him to float in.  That "practice" relaxing can be very beneficial.  I used to do PT in the water with people.  It worked very well for people who had trouble relaxing and also the gravity elimination of the water was extremely beneficial for spinal conditions.  I would also suggest him beginning an abdominal strengthening regimen starting with pelvic tilts and progressing from there.  Here is a link:

http://yoga.about.com/od/yogaandbackpain/ss/pelvictilts.htm

I don't know how it works in your state, but in some places you can begin to go directly to a Physical Therapist office and get an evaluation without having to get a referral from a doc first (cuts out a lot of cost) and many places are willing to work at a reduced self-pay rate.  Aquatic therapy (PT in a warm water pool) would still probably be the most beneficial for him IMO if he can't tolerate a chiro, but there are a few other things he can at least do to relieve some pain and keep the mobility he does have.

***Also, posture is going to be a major priority for him.  (How tall is he?)  Try to look up some things on good posture and help him incorporate them into his life if possible.  Many people don't realize how very important this aspect is.  If you have an exercise ball, his sitting on that should help him get a better feel of his posture...

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 02:28:03 PM »
***Also, posture is going to be a major priority for him.  (How tall is he?)  Try to look up some things on good posture and help him incorporate them into his life if possible.  Many people don't realize how very important this aspect is.  If you have an exercise ball, his sitting on that should help him get a better feel of his posture...
On this note, check out this thread.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,1842.0.html
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline hicchik

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 07:53:17 PM »
Would back problems contribute to migraines?  My hubby gets some serious headaches every once in a while and I don't think it is due to his diet.  The bones in his lower back get real tight and achy.  It is not his muscles as he points out to rub the bone and not the muscle.  He is very active, sports, lifting, chopping wood, you name it and has probably damaged his back.   Should we go to the chiro?

Thanks!

Missy
Does he grind his teeth at night, when he's stressed, cold, etc?  Anything? 

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 05:45:49 AM »

Thanks!

Missy
Absolutely, back problems can cause headaches.  In fact this is usually my signal that something is wrong in my back and it's time for me to go to the chiro.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline HelpmeetPlusHelpers

• Adept
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 08:09:57 AM »
I have had severe back pain due to scoliosis since I was 12. I have gone through massage therapists, physical therapists, lots of herbal rubs have helped, and the migraines are horrible. I understand his pain! At 16, they put rods in my back because they couldn't stop it from getting worse and worse. I was having trouble even breathing because of the twisting in my back not just the curves (I have an "S" curve). I was destroying my liver with ibuprofen just to get through my days. I share this to say that I have tried everything that has been suggested. Now, I see a chiropractor twice a week. They can't adjust certain parts due to the rods. However, I am finally living without constant horrible pain!! I know that your husband isn't interested (and I wouldn't suggest you pushing him in any way). I just wanted to share that I found lots of temporary solutions but nothing that has been truly healing until this. I hope that you and your dh can find some things that ease the pain. It is so hard to live like that.

Offline rainygladness

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 11:38:03 AM »
Just an fyi -  the Elise Browning Miller dvd has really good back excercises and stretches for scoliosis and back pain.

http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Scoliosis-Elise-Browning-Miller/dp/B000AB0Z4A
Always remember you're unique - just like everybody else!

Offline wlwest

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 10:44:55 AM »
I'm revisiting this topic again, dh has really been suffering the past week or so.  It is always on going, but sometimes worse than others.  He is only crooked when his back hurts, so would that truly be scoliosis?  The only thing that helps is some muscle relaxers.  He has only used them a couple of times. 
Does anyone think diet would help?  After reading the sugar blues I was reading how sugar causes these degenerative diseases.  His older sister (13 months apart) suffers with exactly the same things.  She has Rheumatoid Arthritis.  Dh joints don't swell like hers.  But the back problems they both have are almost identical.  She is an RN, so she does things to help herself a little more than dh. 

We own and operate a flagstone quarry.  And he was working alone this winter, ironically, now that he is hiring back some workers, his back is acting up again. :P  He has done this kind of work since he was about 18. It's hard work, and lots of lifting,bending, etc.   He also runs a bulldozer, and that really puts his back out, he will run it about 4 times a year, for weeks at a time. 

I'm going to try and cut out white sugar, and see if that helps.  Are there any specific herbs that I could add to some coconut oil that might help with inflammation, or to relax him?

Thanks,
Wendy

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 12:04:10 PM »
Powdered quercetin is an EXCELLENT anti-inflammatory.  1 tsp. 3x's a day (or what's feasible with his meal schedule).  Also, my SIL has scoliosis and so does my DD.  My SIL's didn't act up until she was in her 40's.  They had her do some exercises (physical therapy) for 6 weeks and she was good again for years.  Then it acted up again and we had her do the exercises again.  She has to do the muscle relaxers fpr pain and is pretty flat on her back when this happens.  So it can definately be scoliosis.  SIL is bone straight all the time unless this happens.

Also, have you considered non-bone cracking chiropractic?  We use this (it's basically muscle manipulations to move the spine back into place).  DH swears by and it has helped my DD's scoliosis stay in check so it hasn't given her pain. 

One way to check for scoliosis easily is to have him stand in his underwear with his arms straight down to his sides and his head straight ahead.  Check to see if one shoulder OR one hip is higher or lower then another.  You can do this by placing your hands flat on his shoulders.  Is one hand higher?  Same thing with the hips.  Put your hands on his hips in the same position and see if one is higher or lower.   If it is then he has it. 

When my DD's hips start to look really off kilter I take her to the chiro and he puts her back in place.  Her hips are straight again for a long while.  Both my DD and SIL have one leg longer then the other by about 1/4" or more.  It's pretty obvious.

My DH has found the tiger balm patches put on his back where it hurts to be very comforting. 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 04:01:31 AM »
Are there any specific herbs that I could add to some coconut oil that might help with inflammation, or to relax him?

Thanks,
Wendy

http://www.westonaprice.org/Cod-Liver-Oil-The-Number-One-Superfood.html
  My favorite herb book!!