Author Topic: Good Fats, Bad Fats: Healthy Oils for Cooking  (Read 68441 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Re: Good Fats, Bad Fats: Healthy Oils for Cooking
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2008, 07:55:36 AM »
What will it say on the label if it has been solvent extracted? I'm thinking of Louana's cocnut oil. Cheap, and I'm hoping a safe oil.
This stuff is way over refined.  It's been bleached of it's smell.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2008, 08:02:47 AM »
okay, sorry I'm doing this backwards. But i went and read SC's article on unsafe vegetable oils alot to swallow. So I believe that cocnutoil is only safe to use when it labeled virgin coconut oil. I'm depressed. Cheap stuff would not appear to safe or healthy.
    what about lard? Is the cheap store labels safe? How would you even find organic lard. Once we raised a couple pigs and we rendered the lard. But that is gone. I know that store lard has some kind of preservative in it. I wonder how bad that is? Why won't they just leave our food alone? Something to do with the love of money...
I've been on this particular journey the last couple of weeks.  I found the best thing to do is to get in the phone book and start calling your local meat lockers (butchers) and ask them about the farmers they butcher for.  Find out if there are any around that raise grass fed, antibiotic free, organic animals.  Try to find them that are NOT certified and the price will be better.  Now you have a couple of options, you can barter with the meat locker and have him save you the fat from these customers and sell/trade it to you, or you can call the farmers directly and try to work something out.

I also had good luck finding info on organic lard in my area by a google search.  I didn't really know what I was looking for or who to contact, so I looked up organic agriculture in my state and started sending emails to every state organization that was related to organic farming.  Eventually I got a hit.  One of the websites was a group that is made up of only organic farmers and they started sending me emails with their information. 

It's extremely inexpensive if you render the lard yourself and from what I understand this is not a difficult thing to do.  I intend to try it soon.  Butchering season is coming up around here and I've got a couple of people who have promised me some fat.  ;)

Also I found that buying an "uncertified" organic hog was cheaper by far than store bought pork.  This includes butchering, curing of the bacon and ham and you get to keep the fat - no charge.  For my area about $270 for a whole hog which averaged out at around $2.08/lb for a healthy pig.  Retail processed pork is going for around $2.69 for the ground cheap cuts right now.  Chops and loins are much higher.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2008, 08:09:58 AM »
I didn't see palm kernel oil in the list of good fats. I know it depends on the processing (like olive, coconut oil, etc.) but it's a good oil.

WR
I found many references that Palm Kernel oil is extracted using hexane; however, I did find one reference that i was unable to verify that there might be an expreller pressed version of this oil available, so I would look at the label very carefully, if this is something that concerns you.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2008, 11:01:51 AM »
Here's what Spectrum says about their organic shortening made from palm oil...

How is your Organic Shortening made?

To make Spectrum Naturals Organic Shortening, we start with organic palm oil, extracted via manual pressing without the use of harmful chemicals. The oil is refined using a certified organic, chemical free process similar to Spectrum's other organic oils. The palm oil is then whipped using nitrogen, resulting in creamy consistency similar to conventional shortening.

Anybody spot any doublespeak in there? I like this product but I've only ever bought it once because I didn't know how it was processed (still not sure I know). But this seems to be saying they don't use solvents.

WR

Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2008, 11:12:43 AM »
I'm intrigued.  The label looks good.  Anyone have any info on this?

What's this stuff cost?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 11:15:26 AM by healthybratt »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2008, 11:24:08 AM »

What's this stuff cost?

Well, that's another reason I've only bought it once... you get a pound and a half (24 oz) for about $6. But, recently I've seen it for a little less.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2008, 11:28:57 AM »
I just did a little math and (correct me if I'm wrong) that comes out to something like $32 per gallon, right? That's less than I'm paying for VCO. And dh doesn't like the VCO very much.

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2008, 02:47:41 PM »

What's this stuff cost?

Well, that's another reason I've only bought it once... you get a pound and a half (24 oz) for about $6. But, recently I've seen it for a little less.

WR

I use this, but only in place of shortening in recipes.  I ordered a bunch from Azure Standard, but I don't remember what I paid for it.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2008, 03:33:33 AM »

I am not convinced after reading their vague explanation of their processing that this is actually a healthy way to go.  I sent them an email to ask them to elaborate on their process more.

I was reading your FAQs on organic shortening.  You said "The oil is refined using a certified organic, chemical free process similar to Spectrum's other organic oils.".

Could you elaborate?  Do you use heat?  Why is it refined as opposed to raw like other healthy oils?  Do you bleach, clean or otherwise change the natural state of the palm oil?  What about the nitrogen?  How is this any better than using hydrogen in oils to make them solid?

Everything I've read says that oils that are refined and/or processed will lack the properties necessary to alert the consumer via taste/smell that the oils are in fact rancid.  Do you have any information on this?

~hb
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2008, 03:49:12 AM »
Thanks HB! Some of those questions are the same ones I've had, but was too lazy to write to them. I can't wait to hear what they have to say.

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2008, 10:16:03 AM »
I would only toss it if it smells bad. That the good thing about natural, unprocessed fats and oils, when they go bad, you can usually tell by the smell.

WR
Who Needs God?

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2008, 12:16:17 PM »

I am not convinced after reading their vague explanation of their processing that this is actually a healthy way to go.  I sent them an email to ask them to elaborate on their process more.

I was reading your FAQs on organic shortening.  You said "The oil is refined using a certified organic, chemical free process similar to Spectrum's other organic oils.".

Could you elaborate?  Do you use heat?  Why is it refined as opposed to raw like other healthy oils?  Do you bleach, clean or otherwise change the natural state of the palm oil?  What about the nitrogen?  How is this any better than using hydrogen in oils to make them solid?

Everything I've read says that oils that are refined and/or processed will lack the properties necessary to alert the consumer via taste/smell that the oils are in fact rancid.  Do you have any information on this?

~hb

HB----did you ever hear back on this?  Thanks
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #72 on: January 07, 2009, 11:32:05 AM »

~hb

Apparently not.  Sorry.  It's been so long, I had forgotten.  I guess they didn't like the question? ::)
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline daisey

• Master
  • Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side
« Reply #73 on: January 07, 2009, 04:11:18 PM »

~hb

Apparently not.  Sorry.  It's been so long, I had forgotten.  I guess they didn't like the question? ::)

That's OK.  I just wondered!   
Be Still my soul, the Lord is on Thy Side

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2009, 04:39:19 AM »

~hb

That's OK.  I just wondered!   
Anyone who wants to know, feel free to copy my note in it's entirety and send it yourself.  Maybe if they get enough of them, they'll feel a bit more compelled to answer.  ;D 

As for me, I've switched to lard and I will most likely soon be adding tallow and it's doubtful, I will ever switch back to ANY commercial cooking oils except for the occasional bottle of olive oil for dressings and making croutons. ;D
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline WI Cheesehead

• Adept
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2009, 06:35:27 PM »
Well the labeling makes it look really good, its supposedly stable at higher heats.. its all over in the stores in NZ, but I haven't seen it here in the states yet.  I was wondering about it myself. 

This sight has rice bran oil along with tons of others.  You have to buy a minimum of 7 lbs, but it's $1.78 per lb and they're out of IL.  There is a place to calculate what shipping would be.  I think I am going to try this, as olive oil has gotten so expensive and the rice bran oil sounds great!

Offline Kelly the Kitchen Kop

• Adept
    • Kelly the Kitchen Kop
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2009, 07:23:23 PM »
Have you tried the no-flavor coconut oil?  It is more refined than virgin, but there are still *some* health benefits.  There really is no flavor.

Here's the kind I use:

http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2008/04/coconut-oil-with-no-taste-or-smell.html

Offline Mrs.Visser

• The Mrs. Visser!!
  • Adept
  • Learn & Live Well!!
    • Growing Up Herbal
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2009, 06:00:35 AM »
HB - I'm with you on leaving Bacon grease at room temp. My mom has always left it in a cabinet, and we've never had any problems with it.

Offline FarmWife

• Adept
    • Amazing Graze Farm
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2009, 01:24:56 AM »
Have you tried the no-flavor coconut oil?  It is more refined than virgin, but there are still *some* health benefits.  There really is no flavor.

The Spectrum unrefined, organic has a very strong coconut taste.  We liked it though.  We are now using Tropical Traditions Gold label.  It has a slight coconut taste, but more like the taste of raw coconut rather than the sweet coconut taste that most of us think of when we think of coconut flavor. 

We are also trying their Red Palm Oil.  We want to sell some of this in our store, so thought we would try it first.  We LOVE it on popcorn.  I have stir fried some with it.  It does have a very distinct flavor that would not go with everything. 
Only by His merciful grace,
Marci

Come check out our store..
www.amazinggrazefarm.com/store