Author Topic: Protect rBGH labeling in Ohio!  (Read 3611 times)

Offline mauimom

• Adept
Protect rBGH labeling in Ohio!
« on: January 24, 2008, 01:29:08 PM »
This is off topic, but a very important topic!!  Not sure where to post it. 
I got this in an email from a friend.

Protect rBGH labeling in Ohio!

Following in the foot steps of Pennsylvania, the State of Ohio is considering making it illegal for dairies to label their milk as "artificial growth hormone-free."
As you know, we had a major victory on milk labeling in Pennsylvania last week!  This sets a great precedent, but now we need to turn this victory into a trend by turning up the heat in Ohio.  Governor Strickland has heard from thousands of consumers across the nation, but he has yet to take any action to protect consumers' right to know.  Tell Governor Strickland you want to know that your milk has come from cows not treated with rBGH / rBST!
Even if you don't live in Ohio, this issue is important to your state, too! States all over the country may be considering similar rules.  We just found out that  Indiana has a similar rule moving through the State Legislature right now, and discussions may be brewing in Missouri as well (more on these states as we get more information).  The more victories we have, the harder it will be for other states to pass these harmful labeling laws.
Please take a moment TODAY to call Governor Strickland and tell him you do not find these labels to be "misleading," and you do not want their use restricted or banned. Consumers have a right to know what's in their milk, and dairies have a right to tell them.

MAKE YOUR PHONE CALL NOW! Please call Governor Strickland's office at (614) 466-3555.
"Hello, my name is _______from______and I am calling to urge Governor Strickland to protect consumers by allowing dairies to use rBGH-free labels.  Consumers want more information about the foods they buy and feed to their families – not less. These labels are not “misleading,” they fill an important gap in knowledge about how our dairy products are produced. Consumers have a right to know how their milk was produced, and dairies have a right to tell them. Thanks for your time."

*If you are unable to see the links in this email, please copy and paste the following URL into your browser's address bar to take action online:http://ga3.org/campaign/Ohio_rBGH2

Send a letter to the following decision maker(s):
Ohio Dept. of Agriculture, Dairy Chief Lewis R. Jones, R.S.
Ohio Dept. of Agriculture, Dairy Division

Below is the sample letter:
Subject: rBGH-free labeling is not "misleading" - please don't take away consumers' right to know
Dear [decision maker name automatically inserted here],
I am writing to voice my opposition to apparent recent moves by the Ohio Department of Agriculture to restrict dairy producers from labeling milk as produced without recombinant bovine growth hormone. Many consumers object to this hormone, known as rBGH or rBST. I have a right to know if this artificial hormone was used in the production of the dairy products I buy, and I believe dairy companies should be able to inform customers of this fact.

The use of rBGH is concerning because it causes infections and other problems in cows. These infections lead to the use of more antibiotics, which could contribute to the major problem of antibiotic resistant bacteria. There are also many unresolved questions concerning the use of this artificial hormone and links to some types of cancers, particularly breast, prostate, and lung.

FDA approved the use of voluntary labels more than 12 years ago at the request of dairy companies seeking to respond to customer concerns over the use of the genetically engineered hormone. Earlier this year Monsanto, the company that makes rBGH under the trade name Posilac, pressured the FDA to restrict the use of labels identifying "rBGH-free" or "rBST-free" dairy products, but FDA rightly refused to do so. Ohio should be no different. Consumers want more information about the foods we buy and feed to our families - not less. rBGH-free labels are not "misleading," they fill an important gap in knowledge about how our dairy products are produced. In fact, an April 2007 Lake Research Partners' national survey shows that eight in ten adults (80%) feel dairy products originating from cows that have not been treated with rBGH should be allowed to be labeled as such.

I urge you to recognize the importance of food labels to consumers and producers, and not to restrict the use of rBGH-free labeling. Denying consumers information about how milk was produced leaves consumers without the information they need to make informed choices.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 04:30:18 AM by healthybratt »