Author Topic: Pinworms  (Read 31500 times)

Offline MommyGus

• Mymanswoman
  • Adept
  • most of my kids
Pinworms
« on: January 20, 2008, 09:40:12 AM »
This isn't exactly the most pleasant topic, but I am pretty sure our family has a case of pinworms (gross I know, eeeewwww).  I have gotten so much help  from all of you and was wondering if I could get some answers on this topic.  

Have any of you had to deal with this before, and what worked?  My mom told me that she learned in college (she majored in biology) that you could go to any school and put a piece of tape on the wall and find pinworm eggs (what a pleasant thought  :-[).  We moved a few months ago and our new church has a preschool in it, and I think this is probably where we got pinworms (I must admit I haven't been super diligent about getting all of our hands washed before potluck), so I was also wondering how to keep from getting them again, after they are gone (other than the obvious handwashing).

Thanks in advance!! I feel like I am asking a room full of good friends for help, and I have never met any of you.
In HIM!
MommyGus
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 11:00:34 AM by MommyGus »
4yo DD: "Mom can I have a cookie?"
MommyGus: (being silly) "Say 'You are the best mom in the whole world'"
4yo DD: (being very sweet) "I love you Mom...In the best world...I love you"

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
Re: Pinworms
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 10:00:04 AM »
When we realized our little ones had them I too was so grossed out, we just got the stuff at the drug store called Pin-X and at the time I didn't bother looking what all is in it cuz we justed wanted to be sure and get rid of them! But I'd love to know of a for sure effective natural way to take care of it.

Offline MommyGus

• Mymanswoman
  • Adept
  • most of my kids
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 11:52:01 AM »
I just made a batch of GOOT, and plan to apply that to the anal area each night.  I used some Clarkia in the past , but I have to find out where to get it again, (and make sure it is OK to use while nursing).  Has anyone else used GOOT for parasites?

Offline MQM

• Adept
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 12:11:53 PM »
GROSS is right!  I don't know why, but it really grossed me out, too.

I think I read somewhere on WTM that pineapple kills them.  So I bought fresh pineapples and we ate them until our tongues hurt, for about three days in a row.  During that time, I washed and washed and washed bedding :P and vacuumed and washed hands neurotically.

When the itching stopped, I was pretty sure they were gone, but I also checked my little ones' undies at night and didn't find them anymore.

BTW, we also took oil of oregano and garlic capsules.  I know they are effective for other parasites but not sure about pinworms.  I figured it couldn't hurt.

Offline MommyGus

• Mymanswoman
  • Adept
  • most of my kids
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 12:20:03 PM »
I just recently started making Kombucha (thanks Kittyninja for the SCOBY ;)), does this help with parasites?

Offline MommyGus

• Mymanswoman
  • Adept
  • most of my kids
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 04:26:24 AM »
Bump.
Anybody?  GOOT or Kombucha for parasites?

Offline lotsaboys

• Master
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 05:19:02 AM »
Bump.
Anybody?  GOOT or Kombucha for parasites?
Maybe eating the SCOBY! ;D jk ;) I googled it and did get the impression it does help, but I don't know how much, etc. I'd like to look more when i have time...

Offline kper

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 06:04:16 AM »
I use goot on the bottoms and also take green walnut hull, wormwood and cloves to kill any and all other parasites that might be lurking around :o

HTH!
" Elections belong to the people. It is their decision. If they decide to turn their back on the fire and burn their behinds, then they will just have to sit on their blisters." 

Abraham Lincoln

Offline MommyGus

• Mymanswoman
  • Adept
  • most of my kids
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 06:24:22 AM »
I have taken Clarkia in the past, but I can't afford to get any right now (hopefully soon).  I started using GOOT on the kids bottoms last night.  How long should this take?  kper, do you make your own walnut/wormwood/clove tincture? MQM, do you think canned pineapple will work? I have some canned here, and I can't afford to go get fresh right now.  Thanks again everyone.

On a side note: last night after baths I was helping the younger kids get the GOOT on their bottoms, and the 8 year old was doing his own.  I saw him rubbing it on his "cheeks" and I told him that it doesn't go on that part of his bottom.  When I told him where it does go...... :o you should have seen the look on his face :D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 06:26:13 AM by MommyGus »

Offline just jane

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 08:40:56 AM »
What you need to do for pinworms is .......go to the drugstore and get 2 big bottles of Pin-X.   Treat the whole family.  The day after you treat the whole family you wash all bedding and towels with some hot water and something to kill germs.   Wash all nightwear too.   That should take care of it.   I have heard of some mothers that repeat the plan above in 2 weeks again.
We have used Pin-X and there were no side effects in any of us.   

Offline kper

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 11:16:10 AM »
I have taken Clarkia in the past, but I can't afford to get any right now (hopefully soon).  I started using GOOT on the kids bottoms last night.  How long should this take?  kper, do you make your own walnut/wormwood/clove tincture? MQM, do you think canned pineapple will work? I have some canned here, and I can't afford to go get fresh right now.  Thanks again everyone.

On a side note: last night after baths I was helping the younger kids get the GOOT on their bottoms, and the 8 year old was doing his own.  I saw him rubbing it on his "cheeks" and I told him that it doesn't go on that part of his bottom.  When I told him where it does go...... :o you should have seen the look on his face :D

I use half a dropper full of NOW brand "Fresh Green Balck Walnut Wormwood complex" and ONE drop of clove essential oil (VERY potent!) in 2-3 oz. of water for the kids, with a juice or water chaser.

For myself, I use a full dropperful and I rinse the bottle of clove oil in my 2-3oz. of drinking water as there is always some on the bottle after I pour it. I have also made a clove extract/ tincture by pouring vodka over a 1/2 full spice jar of cloves and letting it sit in a dark closet for 2-3 weeks. After straining the cloves out, I've been using this too for myself. 1 dropperful.

HTH!
KP
" Elections belong to the people. It is their decision. If they decide to turn their back on the fire and burn their behinds, then they will just have to sit on their blisters." 

Abraham Lincoln

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 09:25:59 AM »
Bitter melon is supposed to kill pinworms.  But it is apparently not safe for pregnant women.

Offline Simply Kristen

• My weekly podcast that explores all aspects of healthy living.
  • Master
    • SimplyKristen Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 05:37:38 PM »
Does anyone know of bad side effect for Pin X or a standard prescription drug for getting rid of pinworms?

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 06:20:06 PM »
I would just check ingredients......... I posted over in the worms in children thread but will mention here also that the prescription my Dr was going to give me had a bunch of stuff we didn't want to take. It was a chewable tablet. Here are the ingredients: 100 mg of mebendazole. Inactive ingredients are: colloidal silicon dioxide, corn starch, hydrogenated vegetable oil, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium saccharin, sodium starch glycolate, talc, tetrarome orange, and FD&C yellow No. 6.

I didn't even know they put sodium lauryl sulfate in things you could take internally. I assume that if you don't want it on your skin you don't want it in your guts either! ;)

I have read that Aloe Vera juice is good for expelling pinworms. HTH!

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »
How does one know if they have pinworms? ( symptoms)

What do they look like?

What type of discomforts or symptoms do you have after taking something to kill them off? Like maybe a parasite die off sickness or something ????

Offline Laalex2

• Learning
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2008, 03:16:09 AM »
My kids and I had pinworms for years and I tried everything natural to get rid of them.  We were all miserable.  I finally gave them the drug for it....one little pill twice and they were gone.  I wish I would have done it much sooner.

Offline ManyWeavers

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2008, 03:21:03 AM »
How does one know if they have pinworms? ( symptoms)

What do they look like?

What type of discomforts or symptoms do you have after taking something to kill them off? Like maybe a parasite die off sickness or something ????

Bump!

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2008, 04:54:13 AM »
http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-pinworms.htm

Here's a page that answers most of those questions.  The question of die off symptoms may be more like 'what type of side effects do the medications have.'  I think a dead tiny worm wouldn't really cause any symptoms, but just be passed through.  More than likely, it would be the medication that causes side effects.

Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline Ibelieveinfaries

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 06:57:11 PM »
I have had mild symptoms of pinworms for a while now without knowing what was wrong but it just now became such a problem that it was keeping me up until 3 in the morning for the past week. I've just started with Pin-x, but its still uncomfortable waiting for it to kick in. I have been taking "Fresh Green Black Walnut Wormwood Complex" (it also includes cloves) which is fairly cheap for the past 2 days, but that takes a week to kick in from what i have heard, and the stuff's down right fowl unless you chase it down with something quick.

As a quick relief from the itching rear at night (no garlic in the house at the moment) i dampened the end of a quetip  with the green walnut/wormwood/clove stuff and dabbed lightly where it itched. it did sting very mildly, but quickly went away after a minute or two. the itch is completely gone and i don't have that squirmy feeling anymore. im gonna sleep good tonight, and about time to.