Author Topic: Removing Chlorine From the Water w/o Filtration  (Read 13138 times)

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
Removing Chlorine From the Water w/o Filtration
« on: January 20, 2008, 04:27:05 AM »
Okay, a filter or filtration system is totally out of the question right now.  I know that allowing water to sit, or boiling can elimainate chlorine from the water, but having to boil all of my water is going to be a total lifestyle change, so what I want to know is how long, how much and how hot the water has to go to get the chlorine out?

For instance, when I make coffee, is the coffee pot hot enough to evaporate the chlorine before I drink my coffee.  Would I have to make it the night before and let it sit - with the lid open/closed?  Is that long/hot enough to do the trick?  Does the coffee filter make any difference whatsoever?

Making soup, beans, and cooked items, do I need to pre-boil the water?

What about hot tea?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline brightspot

• Adept
Re: Removing Chlorine From the Water w/o Filtration
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 10:40:51 AM »
According to information we used to set up a fish tank, we were to let our water sit in an open container overnight to evaporate the chlorine. I think that would be the same. Maybe fill your coffee pot with cold water at night and just turn it on in the morning.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 01:57:04 PM »
I too would like to know if heating in a coffee pot gets rid of the chlorine.  We use our coffee pot to heat all of the water we use (as opposed to using the microwave) but we don't let it sit during the day when it's getting low, we just fill it up and let it drip.  Any other takers on this question?  Good question, HB. 

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 04:17:04 AM »
bump
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 05:50:44 AM »
bumping this one again!

Nickole

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 05:58:28 AM »
Just leave the water out all night and the chlorine evaporates.  That is an alternative to having to boil and cool.   

Offline grocerygetter

• Adept
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 06:25:38 AM »
Okay, a filter or filtration system is totally out of the question right now.  I know that allowing water to sit, or boiling can elimainate chlorine from the water, but having to boil all of my water is going to be a total lifestyle change, so what I want to know is how long, how much and how hot the water has to go to get the chlorine out?

For instance, when I make coffee, is the coffee pot hot enough to evaporate the chlorine before I drink my coffee.  Would I have to make it the night before and let it sit - with the lid open/closed?  Is that long/hot enough to do the trick?  Does the coffee filter make any difference whatsoever?

Making soup, beans, and cooked items, do I need to pre-boil the water?

What about hot tea?

Hmm...I don't know but I'm wondering...My hubby has access to a chlorine test kit. If I were to do this in my coffee pot and then use the test to see if there was chlorine left. Would this be an accurate way to tell??

Offline T

• Adept
    • Red Umbrella Cosmetics
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 06:35:55 AM »
I would think yes but I'd probably wait until it cooled so the temp doesn't alter the outcome.  Maybe that wouldn't be necessary.  Let us know!

Offline mtnmama

• Learning
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 02:39:45 AM »
Bumping this topic again - has anyone found anything out yet about the chlorine evaporating?

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 02:41:46 PM »
Here's what I have found:
* 6 -12 hours to evaporate chlorine from an open container, so no smell/taste is obvious, or

* boil for a few minutes, then cool and shake to aerate the water so it doesn't taste flat, or

* chill the water in the refrigerator to improve the taste (this may not actually remove the chlorine, I'm not sure), or

* 10 minutes at 150 degrees to pasturize the water, killing biological pathogens, and evaporate the chlorine.

Note: These methods do not remove chloramines (chemical nasties).

I believe the easiest method is the open container evaporation.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 11:24:29 AM »
Bumping this topic again - has anyone found anything out yet about the chlorine evaporating?
I have been sitting gallon jugs on my counter every day.  I usually wait 48 hours before using the water, but the taste is very noticably different and hubby even noticed that he digests it better.  He says the heavily chlorinated water gives him digestive upset.  This water also works for making bread whereas the fresh tap water kills my yeast.  I also use this water to water my plants that were dying from too much chlorine.

I'm convinced this works.  Boiling works too but boiling large quantities of water is very time consuming and I'm happy with my 6 gallon jugs on the counter for now until something better comes along.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »
Just a couple of thoughts:
* I think "open container" means a pot or bowl (6-12 hours).  Jugs would certainly take longer to evaporate the chlorine due to the small opening with less surface area (48 hours).  A small opening would also tend to collect fewer airborne particles.

* Boiling may remove chlorine and kill some pathogens, but it may also concentrate other undesirable chemicals.

Offline mtnmama

• Learning
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 02:26:37 AM »
I'm trying this out today - I left a big pitcher out overnight and am still putting the water through my Brita pitcher to see if that helps the chlorine taste. We don't have a well, and our water is so heavily chlorinated I've been able to smell it in our bathwater. Unfortunately we can't afford a filtration system right now, but hopefully this will help our drinking water!
Does anyone know off hand what the Brita and other filters actually filter out? I'm going to check into it later - I'll post whatever I find.