Author Topic: Bugs and unknown fibers in the skin, Morgellons Mystery! Ever heard of this one?  (Read 9974 times)

Offline Thyme2BeeHealthy

• Learning

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced today that it is launching a study to learn about an unexplained condition that causes people to feel as if they have foreign substances growing from their bodies.

People with the condition, referred to as Morgellons disease, say they have fibers and other inorganic material growing out of their skin.

"We earnestly want to learn more about this unexplained illness, which affects the lives of those who suffer from it," said Dr. Michele Pearson, principal investigator leading the study for the CDC, in a press release. "Those who suffer have questions, and we want to help them."

"We have a team of epidemiologists, laboratorians and pathologists to carry out the study," Pearson said.

The study will be conducted in conjunction with Kaiser Permanente's Northern California Division of Research. For more information, CLICK HERE to visit the CDC's Unexplained Dermopathy Web site.

Watch the story tonight on "Nightline" at 11:35 p.m. ET and "Good Morning America" Thursday at 7 a.m.

In 2006, a number of Morgellons sufferers told ABC News in interviews that when they consulted doctors, they received diagnoses they called wrong or dismissive. Brandi Koch, the wife of former Major League Baseball player Billy Koch, said that she felt as if she were living in a horror movie, claiming she had colored fibers coming out of her skin.

Koch, of Clearwater Beach, Fla., said that her life was good until one day in the shower when she noticed something strange -- tiny fibers running through her skin.

"The fibers look like hair, and they're different colors," Koch said.

Koch said she knows that what she experienced "sounds crazy," but it's true. "If I had a family member call me up and say, 'I have this stuff,' I'd say, 'I'm sending a straitjacket over. You need some help,'" she said.

Anne Dill described a similar condition. Looking at Dill's life in Florida, she seemed to be living the American dream -- her three daughters excelled in sports and were straight-A students.

But life in the Dill household was far from idyllic. Anne's 40-year-old husband, Tom, died in January 2006, and she believes his death was due to a contagious illness that has infected her entire family.

Dill described her family's skin: "There's this fibrous material. It's in layers." Dill said the skin on their hands was particularly bad, very swollen and itchy, and said it felt as if bugs were crawling underneath the skin.

Consulting Doctors
Dr. Greg Smith of Gainesville, Ga., has been a pediatrician for the past 30 years. He claimed that a fiber was coming out of his big toe, and he had video footage to prove it.

"It felt like somebody stuck a pin in my toe and wiggled it, and it just continued to hurt," Smith told ABC News in 2006.

He said he never thought he had bugs. "I've certainly had those crawling sensations, and the fibers which come out of the skin are really bizarre, and really odd."

Smith was handed over to a hospital psychiatrist when he went to the emergency room complaining of a fiber in his eye. He admits that he, too, would be skeptical if a patient came to him with the same story.

"I would wonder if they'd taken their medicine that day. It makes no sense. It's totally bizarre. It's something that -- just telling the story is so outlandish on the face of it -- that no one would believe it," Smith said. Dill's doctor told her to stop scratching, even though many of her sores were in places she could not reach.

Koch went to the Mayo Clinic, where doctors didn't believe that the fibers she'd brought them had grown from her body.

"I saw the infectious disease doctor, and I showed him some samples that I had and he snickered," she said. "I can't go through another doctor blowing me off or looking at me like I'm crazy. I know I'm not."

Dr. Vincent DeLeo, chief of dermatology at New York's St. Lukes-Roosevelt Medical Center, weighed in on what he'd say to someone who came to him with this condition. "I don't think this is any different than many patients I've seen who have excoriations and believe that there is something in their skin causing this," he told ABC News in 2006.

DeLeo said the open lesions were most likely a result of scratching the skin.

Read more here:
http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/Health/story?id=4142695&page=1

:o

Offline Siege

• My avatar is my youngest frying deer tongue!
  • Adept
I heard about this about a year ago. Sounds very interesting. The story I heard also highlighted a boy. He had complained about these things coming from his toe, but his mother kept telling him it was nothing. Then one day he was limping around and she looked and these fibers of red and blue were growing out of his big toe! She took him to a friend in a lab and they extracted them and looked at them. Suppossedly the fibers were not identifiable with anything in any databases (FBI, that type of thing). It makes me wonder if somehow these people ingested something and the body is getting rid of it (either through eating it, or a shot, or something else). You know, like glass, you have to let it eventually come out of your finger when it is stuck in there, or like those things that you soak your feet in? I dunno, but it is interesting.

One word of caution: If you or anyone you know is a hypocondriac, do not watch (or do not let them watch) the specials.  ;D CJ

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
It makes me wonder if somehow these people ingested something and the body is getting rid of it (either through eating it, or a shot, or something else).
This is kind of what I was thinking.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline miff aka Missi

• Adept
Here's a couple of links about Morgellons.  I'll add more as I do more research. 

http://www.cdc.gov/unexplaineddermopathy/general_info.html

Look under the "theories" section here:

http://www.naturalnews.com/023181.html
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 05:35:32 PM by miff aka Missi »

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
I've seriously been wondering if there's a connection between Morgellons and genetically modified foods.

If they can add spider genes to goats and get milk proteins that they can make silk from (yes they are doing this), then what effect could GMO's have on the human body -- KWIM?

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

cecac

I've never heard of this.

It reminds me of my cousin who thought he had transmitters under his skin.  He is a mental patient.  Very. :'(  We tried to help him to no avail.

I would wonder if these people have anything relating them to one another.  For instance, constant drug intervention.  Diet is also a possibility, but I would think there would maybe need to be something more toxic in their lives.  And also, what about enviornmental similarities?

Offline miff aka Missi

• Adept
I've seriously been wondering if there's a connection between Morgellons and genetically modified foods.

If they can add spider genes to goats and get milk proteins that they can make silk from (yes they are doing this), then what effect could GMO's have on the human body -- KWIM?

WR
http://www.naturalnews.com/023004.html
I think this was what I was trying to link to in my previous post.   :P  I'll get the hand of WTM one of these days.  ;)

Missi

edit: I fixed the previous post.  It is a bit different.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 05:36:26 PM by miff aka Missi »

Offline miff aka Missi

• Adept
I've never heard of this.

It reminds me of my cousin who thought he had transmitters under his skin.  He is a mental patient.  Very. :'(  We tried to help him to no avail.

I would wonder if these people have anything relating them to one another.  For instance, constant drug intervention.  Diet is also a possibility, but I would think there would maybe need to be something more toxic in their lives.  And also, what about enviornmental similarities?
So far, they haven't found any connections with the people that have this.

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
I think this was what I was trying to link to in my previous post.   :P  I'll get the hand of WTM one of these days.  ;)

Missi

edit: I fixed the previous post.  It is a bit different.

Wow, this is scary. A few quotes...

First, from the article linked to above:
In an even more provocative finding, Vitaly Citovsky, Professor of Biochemistry and Cell Biology at Stony Brook University in New York, discovered that the fibers contained the substance Agrobacterium, a genus of gram-negative bacteria capable of genetically transforming not only plants, but also other eukaryotic species, including human cells.

Anonymous samples were provided to Professor Citovsky by the Morgellons Research Foundation to use in investigating the potential presence of Agrobacterium in biopsies from Morgellons patients. Control reactions included samples provided by healthy donors. Only Morgellons, not healthy subjects, tested positive in these studies.

Now, a couple quotes from Wiki:
Agrobacteria are natural plant parasites, and their natural ability to transfer genes is used for the development of genetically engineered plants. To create a suitable environment for themselves, these Agrobacteria insert their genes into plant hosts, resulting in a proliferation of plant cells near the soil level (crown gall). The genetic information for tumour growth is encoded on a mobile, circular DNA fragment (plasmid). When Agrobacterium infects a plant, it transfers so-called T-DNA to a random site in the plant genome. The bacterial T-DNA is cut out of the bacterial plasmid and replaced with the desired foreign gene. The bacterium is used as a means of transporting foreign genes into plants (vector).This method works especially well for dicotelydenous plants like potatoes, tomatoes, and tobacco. Agrobacteria are less suitable for introducing foreign genes to crops like wheat and maize.
Genetically modified plants can spread the transgene to other plants or – theoretically – even to bacteria. Depending on the transgene, this may pose a threat to the environment by changing the composition of the local ecosystem. Therefore, in most countries environmental studies are required prior to the approval of a GM plants for commercial purposes, and a monitoring plan must be presented to identify potential effects which have not been anticipated prior to the approval.

Little research has been conducted on human and animal health. However, in most countries every GM plant is tested in feeding trials to prove its safety, before it is approved for use and marketing. The project GMO-Safety collects and presents biosafety research on GMOs with more in-depth information on this topic.[1]

WR
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 06:20:43 PM by Whiterock »
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline miff aka Missi

• Adept
Here's another site that looks like it has a lot of research, lots of notes at the bottom.  They're saying GMO crops.

http://www.healthfreedomusa.org/index.php?cat=19&paged=2

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
Ooo! Here's a direct link to the part on Morgellons...
http://www.healthfreedomusa.org/index.php?p=602
Who Needs God?

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
My daughter got a book from the library today called Medical Mysteries.  It had a short on Morgellons.  It turns out that it was a parasite from the 17th century that is making its way back around.
They also have found that people that have these weird fibers also test positive for Lyme's disease.  Just some more thoughts to throw out there.