Author Topic: Anemia [Iron Deficiency]: Supplements & Diet  (Read 58694 times)

Offline joshs_rebekah

• Adept
  • Shalom-Girl
    • The Larson Log
Re: Anemia [Iron Deficiency]: Supplements & Diet
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2008, 03:13:39 AM »
Is there a way to test for Iron deficiency in a 9 mo old...without having to take them for a blood test?

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2008, 03:30:59 AM »
Is there a way to test for Iron deficiency in a 9 mo old...without having to take them for a blood test?

What color are her fingernails? 
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline joshs_rebekah

• Adept
  • Shalom-Girl
    • The Larson Log
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2008, 04:10:07 AM »
same as her skin...they look like mine

Offline mommyjen

• Adept
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2008, 07:46:50 PM »
I have been feeling too fatigued lately (even for being in my 7th month of pregnancy) and am pretty sure my iron is low. Thanks for all the good info. ladies! I just wanted to add that Prescription for Nutritional Healing says for anemia to consume at least 1 tablespoon of blackstrap molasses twice daily (for a child, use 1 teaspoon in a glass of milk twice daily). I like to add the molasses in milk for me as well and my kids just love this too. Also, dietary deficencies of iron, folic acid, and vitamis b6 and b12 can lead to anemia. It is interesting that liver is high in all of these nutrients, especially raw liver. My midwife recommended dessicated liver tablet for me when I was low in iron with my first and I have taken them on and off since then. I bought and started taking chlorophyll and floradix today so hopefully soon I will be feeling better. I wanted to do liver tabs instead of the floradix to avoid the synthetic iron but they were not available locally. I will have to order more online or start eating liver again!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 07:49:04 PM by mommyjen »
Billy's wife and mom to John, Charles, Gilbert, and Lewis.

Offline 6psnapod

• Learning
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2008, 05:34:41 AM »
I am only posting a general reply not to anyone specifically hope this works.
I have been anemic all my life due to heavy menstruation. And now that I am in my mid 40's menstruation is ridiculously heavy, it drastically effects my life 3-4 days out the month. However, that being said, it is my humble opinion that God knew women would tend to have low iron during child bearing years and maybe this has a purpose to protect our hearts as is being studied in the medical community now, as opposed to estrogen being what protects our hearts as was previously thought. So, because of my age and premenopause symptoms I have chosen the side effects of anemia over increasing my iron intake. I would of course never recommend this very unconventional approach to anyone ESPECIALLY all of you young childbearing women. I just wanted to mention it as food for thought for some of the older ladies...In fact, I read somewhere where their is a heartattack belt in the US that concentrates around the southeastern US and they blame it on eating and smoking habits of southeners, but I wonder if more southerners use well water that can have alot of iron in it? Anyway, love reading on here...lots of great ideas and advice from everyone... Lisa

YoopreMama

« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2010, 03:26:01 PM »
My question is a little different...my hemoglobin counts are always high, but I just had my iron stores (ferritin?) tested, and they were LOW. 

Is there a different type of supplementation for that?  I'm leaning toward a herbal-based one like Floradix.

Offline beelover

• Learning
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2010, 03:31:30 PM »
My question is a little different...my hemoglobin counts are always high, but I just had my iron stores (ferritin?) tested, and they were LOW. 

Is there a different type of supplementation for that?  I'm leaning toward a herbal-based one like Floradix.

Yellow dock is a natural source of iron.  The root has a high iron content and since it is plant based it is very assimilable.

YoopreMama

« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2010, 06:10:41 AM »
Thanks, beelover!  I was just reading up on that last night--had forgotten about it.  I like how it helps w/ other issues, too.   :)  I'll use mine up and then try a liquid herbal iron. 

Offline beelover

• Learning
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2010, 04:45:34 PM »
Yooper you really need to be careful about taking any kind of iron.  It has cause a host of health problems some have even thought they had MS when in actuality it was just the iron supplement they took causing their problems.  That is why I recommend Yellow dock It is a food source of iron and perfectly assimilable.  :)

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2010, 04:55:33 PM »
So last time I was preggo my midwife did this thing in my last trimester where she pricked my finger and put a drop of blood on this little hand held gadget that read a number 10.4 11.2 something like that. We found out I was low in iron and I took floravital and was up in 4 days. Anyways, trying to find out what this gadget is called so I can buy one. Hate having a flood set of blood work done every time I need to know my iron levels. Preggo agian and in my 4th month and feeling SO INCREDIBLY exhausted. Thinking it must be iron but would like to find out w/o giving a whole vial... :) any ideas?

YoopreMama

« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2010, 03:02:52 AM »
Yooper you really need to be careful about taking any kind of iron.  It has cause a host of health problems some have even thought they had MS when in actuality it was just the iron supplement they took causing their problems.  That is why I recommend Yellow dock It is a food source of iron and perfectly assimilable.  :)
Certainly!  I am under the care of a physician, and we're dialoguing about the type of supplementation.

I have used YD w/ success before, and prefer it to any other source, even the liquid herbal source.

It appears my last post was a bit breezy or cavalier, and if so, I apologize.  I wouldn't want anyone to approach Iron supplementation carelessly.  :)

Offline beelover

• Learning
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2010, 12:37:49 PM »
So last time I was preggo my midwife did this thing in my last trimester where she pricked my finger and put a drop of blood on this little hand held gadget that read a number 10.4 11.2 something like that. We found out I was low in iron and I took floravital and was up in 4 days. Anyways, trying to find out what this gadget is called so I can buy one. Hate having a flood set of blood work done every time I need to know my iron levels. Preggo agian and in my 4th month and feeling SO INCREDIBLY exhausted. Thinking it must be iron but would like to find out w/o giving a whole vial... :) any ideas?

that thing is called a hemoglobin analyzer you can type in midwifery supplies and find one HTH

Offline mommie

• Master
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2010, 06:10:43 PM »
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Offline born-an-okie

• Adept
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2010, 03:07:10 AM »
Hate having a flood set of blood work done every time I need to know my iron levels. Preggo agian and in my 4th month and feeling SO INCREDIBLY exhausted. Thinking it must be iron but would like to find out w/o giving a whole vial... Smiley any ideas?

Just so you know, hemoglobin levels are NOT the same as iron level.  Although they often go hand in hand you can have low hemoglobin without having low iron.  When this is the case you do not want to supplement with iron as it can be really bad (iron overload can kill you).  I have been seriously anemic with all of my pregnancies and started out really bad with this last one.  I used Floradix and chlorophyll for about 6 weeks at the beginning until I didn't feel so exhausted.  Then my midwife told me I could stop if I took a good B complex supplement.  She said it seems to help maintain iron levels much better than taking additional iron does.  So, I would highly recommend taking extra B vitamins!!!  I really worked for me.  This is the first birth that I didn't hemorrhage or have any other symptoms of anemia at the end.  It worked lots better than taking Floradix and chlorophyll, which really surprised me.

Offline sprobasco

• Learning
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2010, 12:08:56 PM »
I have a question specifically about Ferritin levels, and if anyone has had any problem with this and/or success treating it. I have been anemic off and on throughout my life, but I am not "anemic" now...I have been seeing a registered dietitian with a natural bent because I have been having problems with fatigue and other symptoms. She ordered several blood tests for me and everything was good...except my Ferritin levels are very low. She has me on several supplements including Floradix which has been mentioned in this thread. She says that all my symptoms are related to the low Ferritin. I have been taking all the supplements and I will be retested in Dec to see if its working...I am just wondering if any of you might have some advice on what may be contributing to this problem?

YoopreMama

« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2010, 02:37:17 PM »
B-A-O--

Interesting, the info you shared on the B complex vitamin.

I had my iron retested last month after 4 months on lower levels of herbal iron/yellow dock.  My Ferritin stored have doubled from 17-34, but still, 50 is ideal.

I have thought about chlorophyll...it may help w/ energy.  The Dr. was saying it doesn't have iron in it, but the plant energy may help.

Key for me ( I was very exhausted, too), was also seeing that my liver was sluggish and I had some GI distress.  I am addressing that w/ lemon water in the AM, milk, thistle, castor oil packs and beans to move the bile through.  I felt better SO quickly.

Offline amandas5boys

• Adept
  • We are in the Lords Army. Yes Sir!
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2011, 01:49:32 AM »
I didn't see it on here but was wandering if someone shares the same idea.

My Dr. told me not to take my iron with calcium as it stops you from absorbing the iron. But to make sure that I have vit. C with it as Vit. C helps to break down the iron so that it can be used.

I tried it last night and felt better than I have in about two weeks. I will keep it up and see how it helps.

Has any one else heard anything like this before?

YoopreMama

« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2011, 02:36:15 AM »

My Dr. told me not to take my iron with calcium as it stops you from absorbing the iron. But to make sure that I have vit. C with it as Vit. C helps to break down the iron so that it can be used.

I tried it last night and felt better than I have in about two weeks. I will keep it up and see how it helps.

Has any one else heard anything like this before?

Yep.  That's pretty standard instructions...except I thought it was that the calcium wasn't absorbed as well when taken w/ iron.