Author Topic: Anemia [Iron Deficiency]: Supplements & Diet  (Read 54390 times)

YoopreMama

Re: Anemia [Iron Deficiency]: Supplements & Diet
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2007, 02:57:05 AM »
I was anemic for a long time also. I was always tuckered out. They told me mine was most likely caused by excessive period bleeding. After I got a hysterectomy( anemia is NOT the main reason why I needed the surgery) the anemia started going away. They said that was because I was no longer bleeding half to death with every period. Or at least it sure seemed like I was bleeding half to death.
Not to discount the dandelion or chlorophyll, but the beginning of your post mentioned excessive bleeding as a contributor to your anemia...I'm wondering if disposable pads were the cause behind the excessive bleeding? I can't recall if you were on the feminine hygiene thread or not...

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2007, 03:24:16 AM »
One of the problems with anemia is that the more anemic you get, the more blood you lose. So you can end up with severe bleeding with periods just because you are anemic. Once the anemia is gone, the bleeding lessens.

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2007, 05:39:02 AM »

Not to discount the dandelion or chlorophyll, but the beginning of your post mentioned excessive bleeding as a contributor to your anemia...I'm wondering if disposable pads were the cause behind the excessive bleeding? I can't recall if you were on the feminine hygiene thread or not...
One of the problems with anemia is that the more anemic you get, the more blood you lose. So you can end up with severe bleeding with periods just because you are anemic. Once the anemia is gone, the bleeding lessens.

You both have good points. It seems like many things in life are a catch 22 where we can not find or know just what causes what so it makes it hard to deal with and hard to know what to do.

Most of my heavy period bleeding started  after I had kids. I have heard many women in my family and outside of it say once they had babies their periods were very heavy. But I had various female troubles anyways like endometreosis, pcoc, uterine fibroids, dysmennorhea and so on. They were so heavy I would have to wear 2 pads and a tampon and still I would flood them in a short amount of time. It was awful and the pain, bleeding and hormones were greatly damaging my diabetes.

I miss the dendelions so Im going to have to go back to dendelion pills now that they are mostly out of season.

I dont take store bought iron pills because they tend to cause mashy or loose bowel movements in me.  Yes yes I know Im giving to much info ! LOL.But maybe someone else has the same troubles as well.

What other plants like dendelions can help with anemia?

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2007, 06:01:39 AM »
Does anyone have the recipe for the molasses and cream drink?  I'm interested.

Thanks,

SD
Bump
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline BJ_BOBBI_JO

• Guru
  • I SEE YOU
    • BJ_BOBBI_JO blog
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2007, 07:22:26 AM »
After posting I remembered how nettles are supposed to be good for anemia.

I have never tried it and have not been brave enough to actually ingest one of those stinging irritating little buggers.

YoopreMama

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2007, 07:26:35 AM »
After posting I remembered how nettles are supposed to be good for anemia.  I have never tried it and have not been brave enough to actually ingest one of those stinging irritating little buggers.
We harvest our nettles w/ gloves...when dried, you could make tea (we mix it w/ mint or chamomile)?  Cooked, they lose their sting...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 04:21:19 PM by Yooper »

Offline Myjoy

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2007, 10:48:14 AM »
I had very low iron when I got married, probably diet related. Eating red meat is the best thing. Blackstrap molasses helps, but if you're really depleted you should probably use something else as well. I recommend the Floradix that was mentioned earlier in this thread. My hemoglobin was down to 7.3 with my first pregnancy and I took that and Chlorophyll and brought it up to over 11 by the time I gave birth. Someone else I knew had a very bad miscarriage and she used Floradix to bring up her count 2 points to avoid a blood transfusion. I also recommend just the Spirulina from Beeyoutiful. This pregnancy, I haven't taken hardly any Floradix and Chloropyll and my iron was 12 last time we checked it. Avoid iron pills. They are pretty useless.

Offline naelund

• Adept
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2007, 10:59:31 AM »
Chlorophyll and alphalfa was recommended by my mid wife and worked great for me. I'm still taking alphalfa even while not pregnant. I would try bulk herbs red raspberry tea as well, to help with anemia and heavy periods. My periods have gotten a lot lighter since drinking it and my iron is up.

kenshelpmeet

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2007, 07:41:13 AM »
I just received this link in an email from Mercola:

http://v.mercola.com/blogs/public_blog/How-do-You-Know-if-You-Are-Anemic--23885.aspx

and this one:

http://www.healthbr.info/Cancer-Illness/20070624/4816.html

I'm 28 weeks along in this pregnancy and I have six of these symptoms!   :o  Though really, the insomnia could partially be due to the fact that I make lots of trips to the bathroom nowadays.  ;) 

I'm taking Supermom, am eating spinach about every other day, and now I've added chlorophyll twice daily, so we'll see if that takes care of things.

earthymomof2

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2007, 10:00:57 AM »
someone mentioned blackstrap molasses and cream.  Does anyone have a recipe/formulation for this or do you just drink a dollup of blackstrap in milk or cream?

That does sound good.

Offline Helen

• Adept
    • personal blog
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2007, 04:13:13 AM »
hi Ladies!   thankyou soooooo much for all the information, I AM feeling better,   I now take my iron pills only with vit c or orange juice, I am also taking the shaklee vita lee with iron, I am just simply not a huge meat eater so i try to get it in other ways, I also still  take the natures sunshine chloyrophil, and I am amazed how much better i feel, no more reedy voice, not near as much breathlessness, and so much more energy,  i really contribute this all to you guys, i just had no idea that there was so many ways, and no constipation, wow, it is just really great,    I have also joined a gym on weekends and do pretty hard walking/running, and some weights, i feel like my body is just becoming normal again, I had forgotton how good it feels to feel so good, :)    God bless you all!!!!!!! 
  I just read those articles mommyoffive posted and cant beleive it, I have or have had in the very recent past all but 1 one of the symptoms,
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 04:18:47 AM by Helen »

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2008, 12:05:25 PM »
I'm wondering if any of you have found good iron supplements for your children. I have dandelion and red raspberry in dried herb form, but I'm looking for something a little more simple to get my 4 year-old's iron levels up. The ideas I've gotten so far are:

1. A good children's multivitamin with a natural source of iron, and Vitamin C
2. Cook in a cast iron skillet (that'll have to be a Christmas present for later!)
3. Molasses

Offline mamaofangels

• Adept
  • Mamaofangels Family
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2008, 12:14:15 PM »
I don't know if this is here or not but Shaklee Multivitamins for kids do really well.  They have natural Iron so it is usable by the body.  I gave some to a friend for her little one he was 2 at the time and anemic they had prescribed iron drops that were awful to his system.   Within a month after taking the vitamins he was no longer anemic.  Hope that helps.
Jenny

P.S. For really really anemic cases you can add shaklee iron suppliments too but the multi should be enough unless you have a really bad case which it didn't sound like you did.  :)
~ I don't believe in Miricles I DEPEND on them!

Click here to see my Intro.
Click here for my 7xsunday Intro.

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2008, 12:36:37 PM »
What is the quickest way to get your iron (hemoglobin) levels up?  My dr wants to check mine at my next appt - in 2 weeks or so - and I want to do my best to be sure it's at an acceptable level.

I took a generic iron glycinate supplement of 28 mg up till 3 weeks ago or so, when I ran out, and that seemed to be working.  I'd like to do something more herbal/whole food this time, but haven't decided what route to take. I'm curious as to what works the most quickly.

Offline Sparkys9

• Adept
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2008, 02:20:10 PM »
Try 2 Tbs. of chlorophyll everyday. I've seen this raise hgb in less than a week. You can also add IX from Nature's Sunshine if it was real low or you need it up super quick.HTH. Amy
I can do all things through Christ which strentheneth me. Phillipians 4:13

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2008, 02:37:38 PM »
Try 2 Tbs. of chlorophyll everyday. I've seen this raise hgb in less than a week. You can also add IX from Nature's Sunshine if it was real low or you need it up super quick.HTH. Amy

Chlorophyll is very close to human blood which is why it works so quickly. Dandelion raises hgb quickly also & it can be taken at the same time as the chlorophyll & IX from Nature's Sunshine. The 3 would be an awesome combo. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline Jemima

• Adept
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2008, 03:29:08 PM »
Thank you both! That's very helpful!

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2008, 04:04:36 PM »
Ok, back on the molasses thing, I warmed up some milk - I mean I love cream but it just sounded too rich in this case - and put molasses in it for my daughter - as some earlier posts were recommending. Looking at the jar, though, I saw that there is only 4% USDA value of iron in a tablespoon of molasses. I figured it was probably more than that for a 4 year old, but what, 10% at the most? So I added a tablespoon, and she wasn't that fond of it, it was very sweet, and not a taste she's used to. She took a few sips and then managed to spill it  ::). Anyway, since there seemed to be some questions on the molasses/cream thing, I thought I'd post. I think I'll try using molasses when I need to sweeten things more often, and just won't give it as a supplement.

YoopreMama

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2008, 04:19:14 PM »
I third the liquid Floradix iron supplement.

Em's caramel latte recipe has molasses in warm milk w/ cream and sweetener (maple syrup) is what we drink...our blackstrap/unsulphured has 10-20% iron, I think.  Some like the latte cold.

If I recall the recipe correctly, it's approximately:

8 oz milk
1-2 T molasses
1-2 T cream
1-2 T sweetener (optional)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 04:23:38 PM by Yooper »

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2008, 04:26:22 AM »
Sounds tasty. It'd be good with some strong coffee in it. Not for my 4 year old, of course.  Where do you get your molasses?

YoopreMama

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2008, 04:39:30 AM »
I've used the Grandma's unsulphured and I currently have a bottle from our co-op.  There's a thread on molasses that lists the differences...:)

Offline GraceFaith76

• Adept
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2008, 04:40:43 AM »
I k
What is the quickest way to get your iron (hemoglobin) levels up?  My dr wants to check mine at my next appt - in 2 weeks or so - and I want to do my best to be sure it's at an acceptable level.

I took a generic iron glycinate supplement of 28 mg up till 3 weeks ago or so, when I ran out, and that seemed to be working.  I'd like to do something more herbal/whole food this time, but haven't decided what route to take. I'm curious as to what works the most quickly.

I know you have already received your answer, but I just wanted to Third the Chlorophyll.    With each of my pregnancies I get anemic, my midwife tries and put me on a iron supplement then I go home and 'remember' to start taking my Chlorophyll, then I never hear anything about it again from her.  I have drank as much as a half bottle at one time, but that was during fainting spells (and during a miscarriage), and felt better with in minutes.  I like to buy 'Cholorofresh Liquid Chlorophyll Natural Mint Flavor' made by Nature's Way.

GraceFaith76

Offline firecattx

• Adept
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2008, 09:58:39 AM »
Do I need to take Floradix AND Chlorophyll or would that be overdoing it?  I am 33 weeks pregnant and have a very low iron count.  I don't know how fast Floradix works and I need something fast.  I can barely make it through the day I am so tired/dragging. I just don't want to over-do it.

Offline kcb

• Adept
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2008, 01:20:44 PM »
I am surprized to hear about anemia in such a young child.  I've heard that lots of cows milk can cause anemia.  Do you know the cause of your child's anemia? 

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2008, 06:26:50 AM »
I am not sure. I just took her to the peditrician a couple of days ago for a well check and they said her iron was a little low. This made sense to me because I had been thinking she looked pale which was one reason I wanted to take her in for a well check.

My biggest concern is that her urine test came out saying it had blood in it. This could have been due to some irritation on her bottom, but I need to get another sample and take it in next week. I am hoping it turns out to be okay, otherwise it seems like there could be a big problem of internal bleeding. I haven't had time to research this yet.

I serve meat and vegetables every night and she eats the minimum amount that she can get away with - maybe a few adult-size bites of each - probably normal for a 35-pound girl. I don't serve red meat that often so I will probably change that, and again, I need to research what other food sources iron comes from.

She drinks maybe 1 cup of cows milk a day. It doesn't seem to bother her but she's never loved it. She seems to have energy and need a normal amount of sleep. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 06:46:32 AM by JuliaofSunnyside »

Offline Julia

• Master
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2008, 06:39:17 AM »
I just found this:

"Women of childbearing age, pregnant women, preterm and low birth weight infants, older infants and toddlers, and teenage girls are at greatest risk of developing iron deficiency anemia because they have the greatest need for iron" from here: http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/iron.asp

Chicken liver  :P, beef, lentils, and beans seem to be the highest natural sources of iron.

Offline Blue Rose

• Adept
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2008, 07:02:21 AM »
Do I need to take Floradix AND Chlorophyll or would that be overdoing it?  I am 33 weeks pregnant and have a very low iron count.  I don't know how fast Floradix works and I need something fast.  I can barely make it through the day I am so tired/dragging. I just don't want to over-do it.

I am not sure about doing the Chlorophyll and the Floradix together and about overdoing it, but I do know that my iron was really low at 33 weeks too and my MW was really concerned. I took extra Floradix each day, like the measuring cup full 2 or sometimes three times a day for a week and then the regular dose 2 a day the next week and that really helped. Also, when I was looking into this, I had a friend tell me to avoid milk when taking your iron supplement as this will interfere with your body's absorption of it and to take it in between meals, and that eating a piece of citrus with it would actually help it be absorbed. I started doing this and really saw results the next check up two weeks later. And I love the Floradix because it is non constipating.

I "discovered" it with this pregnancy and it has made a huge difference compared to last time when I was taking something else and was so constipated. It also made a huge difference for me and my energy level once my iron got going back up to being on the right levels. Floradix also has a much better flavor than some other liquid iron supplements out there. Kind of citrusy, fruitly flavored and really easy to take. Next time I will start out my pregnancy taking it instead of waiting until things are really bad and my body is desperate.

From what I have read, the chlorophyll is also really good, but I have no experience with it yet. I have some ordered and will be taking it after the birth. And I have heard too that a mint flavored one is important to help get it down. Otherwise, it tastes pretty "green".

HTH
Blue Rose

Offline firecattx

• Adept
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2008, 07:35:55 AM »
Thanks, Blue Rose.  Anyone else take Floradix and Chlorophyll together?  I am really looking to up my iron count quick.  I go back in a week and a half to have iron levels tested.

Offline Wing

• Adept
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2008, 09:16:49 AM »
When I was 33 weeks pg I was anemic- my iron count was 9.1 and my midwife was pretty scared.  I started twice the dose of Floradix (a full capful 2x a day instead of half a capful) and it was just enough to bring my iron back up in time for delivery.  I never tried it with chlorophyll, just letting you know that it was enough for me. 

Offline steadygirl

• Adept
    • My church home page
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2008, 03:58:50 AM »
If you use molasses to get your iron up it should be blackstrap molasses. It has 20% of your iron in a serving. The other milder tasting kinds have much less iron in them. I am going to be doing this, because my hemoglobin was pretty low at my last midwfie checkup. I think I will add some of the herbs,too. I have nettle and alfalfa here. In about a month I might have dandelions, too.  :D