Author Topic: Help with Gluten Free Lifestyle  (Read 19929 times)

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
Re: Help with Gluten Free Lifestyle
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2010, 09:26:45 AM »
2 questions, is it really necessary to replace mustard with GF mustard?  it is the only condiment i can safely use.  i make salad dressing w/ raw ACV & olive oil, some spices, etc. 

also, i've read some posts about using oats, and read that organic oats are ok, but i react to them and millet.  i am buying them at an amish bulk store, along with my rice, which i don't notice a reaction to.  so i guess my question is just, ARE oats ok, or not? IS millet ok or not?  maybe my "reaction" is just the yeast feeding off the carbs or something.   :-\
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

YoopreMama

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2010, 09:39:09 AM »
We use reg. mustard--have never seen a mustard w/ gluten in it.  If someone's fussing about the vinegar, I think you're fine.  :)

Oats are controversial...supposedly they can become contaminated, so some buy $$ GF oats from dedicated producers.  My personal opinion?  That if you are reacting to that and millet?  It's the carbs/starches, like you said.

Are you soaking them in an acid medium?  We aren't bothered by oats then.  Truly, in our house, it's not the gluten, but the starches that go with it, and wondering if that's true for others. 

What kind of reaction, BTW?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 09:40:49 AM by Yooper »

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline spacemonkey15

• Learning
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2010, 02:11:23 PM »
What supplements does one need to buy and start taking when going gluten free? And how long should they be taken?

YoopreMama

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2010, 02:28:02 PM »
Off the top of my head, I'd think a B complex vitamin, no?  Isn't that one that is typically deficient in people w/ gluten issues?

I'd also look into iron deficiency.

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2010, 04:15:31 PM »
We do a B complex and liquid multi vit./mineral.
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline boysmama

• Global Moderator
  • Guru
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2010, 10:58:34 AM »
Off the top of my head, I'd think a B complex vitamin, no?  Isn't that one that is typically deficient in people w/ gluten issues?

Iron deficiency often goes back to a B deficiency.  :) Since gluten free or grain free often means more greens and meat proteins, iron supplements aren't likely to be needed.

YoopreMama

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2010, 11:22:50 AM »

Iron deficiency often goes back to a B deficiency.  :) Since gluten free or grain free often means more greens and meat proteins, iron supplements aren't likely to be needed.

We needed iron here to accelerate the return to iron levels.  Ideally, we'd be eating more greens and we have boosted meat proteins, but we still found ourselves anemic.  It really hampered my energy level, so if you have it checked, make sure the stores are checked (not recalling the name--ferritin?), not just hemoglobin/hematocrit which were always normal for me.