Author Topic: Help with Gluten Free Lifestyle  (Read 19834 times)

Offline HomesteadMama

• Wide Eyed
Help with Gluten Free Lifestyle
« on: January 08, 2008, 03:37:06 AM »
Hi-- ;D

I am in need of some helps/recommendations.  Our 7yodd early last year was diagnosed with Asthma (this is not something that has run in either family) and to keep this 'in a nutshell' we had some other testing recently done as well (asthma, digestive issues, lower lung chambers not functioning at full capacity (upper aren't either -but not as bad)...anyhow--we are told she has Gluten issues...so.....

can anyone tell me a bit more about living with this...any book recommendations...any helps?

we haven't been back to the ND since we got the test results...but it seems like EVERYTHING has Gluten in it!?  I am trying to make immediate changes for her...but am kind of scratching my head wondering what are some good basic first steps to implement?

Thanks !
Lisa

YoopreMama

Re: Help with Gluten Free Lifestyle
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 04:23:06 AM »
Hi!  We're gluten free, too, and there are lots of good threads here on WTM re: adjusting, meals, etc.  Have you searched this forum yet using "gluten"?

Here's a few links to start you:
(GFCF) Gluten Free Casein Free Diets: Menus, Recipes & Tips

How long being off gluten - to see a difference?

Recognizing Gluten & Casein Intolerance [Allergy]: Signs, Symptoms & Treatments

There are many great books out there.  My favorite is "Gluten Free 101". 

Hope that helps.  :)

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 05:56:44 AM »
I would most definitely read "Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma and Allergies" by Kenneth Bock.  You will get soooo much great info from this book!!  It covers everything, and the last half even list supplements and diets and how they help.  It helps to understand what and why you are treating the asthma, and how to do it.  As far as what to avoid, I second Yooper's recommendation, Gluten Free 101.  Couldn't do without that book either!  HTH  ;D

abbilynn
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

YoopreMama

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 10:17:25 AM »
As far as getting started...we replaced our bread, cold cereals, crackers and noodles, w/ GF products from our local W-M, co-op and grocery store (made from corn, quinoa or brown/white rice/pecans).  It was pricey, but necessary until we got our footing w/ understanding GF cooking.  We didn't use the stuff much, either...Kind of when things were tight w/ time or I was busy w/ other things. 

Breakfast wasn't so bad.  We'd soak oats or make cream of brown rice or cream of millet for hot cereal...eggs are fine...yogurt...that one thread will be helpful (GFCF)...

LOTS of fruits and veggies to make up for loss in fiber.  Good fats to keep you full...butter, avocados, nuts, fish, coconut oil, whole (raw) milk/cheese...

Lunch ideas are all over that GFCF thread, too.   :)

Dinner's not so bad.  We cook from scratch and as you get better at experimenting, anything can be made!  Hamburger buns, bagels, biscuits, noodles...pretty easy, really, once you learn the products.  I think the best development in GF baking has been the use of sorghum flour...you make a blend w/ it and corn/potato starch and tapioca flour.  One you try it, you'll want to get it in bulk!  :D  Sorghum mimics wheat in flavor, nutrition and finished product.  FIBER is so key--white rice flour products gum us up inside, if you KWIM. 

It can be overwhelming...even learning the grains that are GF...that would be a short class in itself!  Knowing how to read labels to avoid gluten takes time, too.

I've seen a book called "GF for Dummies", I think.  Not very good, IMO.  Had errors in there...like saying we could eat oats.  That's controversial--we can tolerate them soaked overnight (in water w/ vinegar or whey or yogurt or lemon juice).  The book used a lot of white rice flour, if I recall, which is short on nutrition/fiber and the results aren't as nice.  Big names are Carol Fenster (GF 101) and Bette Hagman.

I think some helpful sites are also posted in those threads listed above...some even list "safe" fast foods. ::)  Feel free to PM me w/ specific questions, if you'd like.   :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 11:34:55 AM by Yooper »

Offline HomesteadMama

• Wide Eyed
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 03:16:39 AM »
Thanks SO much Ladies !  Appreciate all the help! :)

Lisa

YoopreMama

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 07:41:18 AM »
How do you all handle communion?  ???

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 08:13:45 AM »

:-[ I totally forgot that communion bread had gluten!  :-[  Guess Im going to have to think on that a bit. My first thought is that it probably isn't enough to hurt but that is probably the part of me that just doesn't want to deal with anything else!  ::)

Offline skelliott2

• Adept
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 10:30:15 AM »
I've thought about it, but my son isn't taking it yet, he'll probably start within the year, though.  My thoughts are that since we're a really small church, I"ll just bring something for him, and we'll figure out how to serve it.  Has anyone else figured this one out??

Offline kper

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 11:51:40 AM »
My church uses matzo bread, so I can just bring a rice cracker for my ds.
It looks (sort of) alike.
" Elections belong to the people. It is their decision. If they decide to turn their back on the fire and burn their behinds, then they will just have to sit on their blisters." 

Abraham Lincoln

YoopreMama

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 08:32:46 AM »
I was just talking w/ a friend who mentioned that GF people are usually vitamin B deficient.  Anyone know anything about this?

Offline beppyjo

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 09:06:31 AM »
I was just talking w/ a friend who mentioned that GF people are usually vitamin B deficient.  Anyone know anything about this?

Sally Fallon has a quote in NT, from the PPNF Health Journal, on pg 479.
 It says:
Celiac disease stems from grain allergies - or, more precisely, allergies to the gluten and alpha gliadin components of grain. Those allergies cause malabsorption and, hence, a massive deficiency of vitamins B1, B3, B12, folic acid and the mineral zinc.A serious deficiency in any one of those, if undiagnosed or untreated, can cause dementia. The allergies also cause malabsorption of essential minerals and trace elements, such as calcium, magnesium, iron, and manganese. In addition, they allow the absorption of toxic metals, such as aluminum; and higher than normal concentrations of aluminium in the brain is one of the dementia-causing features of Alzheimer's disease.

Reading this now that I know I have a problem with gluten sure sheds light on a lot of my previous health probs! Anyhow, HTH!

B

Offline lotsagirls

• Adept
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 09:17:41 AM »

Hey Yooper,  I've been discussing my son's skin issues and diet change plans with my midwife and she said I should have him take a Tbsp of safflower oil with a B6 tablet crushed in and then have him take a Tbsp of just plain safflower oil twice more daily (3 Tbsp total).  She said that she recommends that for any of her patients with skin conditions.  She said that it wouldn't interfere with the yeast program I'm going to start him on (Beeyoutiful) and should compliment the diet he's on.

Once his skin is cleared up and I have the yeasties under control, I'm going to add EPO and CLO.
Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.  Psalm 127:3

YoopreMama

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 09:23:45 AM »
Oh, thank you so much you 2 for your quick, informative posts!  :-* Now to consider safflower oil and B6 tablets...and to read my NT!  ;D

I would think, though, that once you're addressing the celiac disease, that the malabsorption would clear w/o the gluten aggravating things?  Maybe after a period of healing? ???

YoopreMama

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 03:18:58 PM »
OK...can you all help w/ out with this one...;)

My church will be bringing our family meals for 2 weeks after baby's birth.  4/5 of us are GF...they'll ask about allergies/preferences, etc.  How can I tactfully make suggestions?  Any good simple guidelines?  I was thinking of suggesting fresh produce, simple meat dishes--no desserts/bread/noodles...???

I don't want to be exasperating...They know us pretty well, so it's not like we're new, which would be even harder to do.

Thanks!

Offline DHW

• Adept
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 06:19:36 PM »
When one of my friends had her last baby she made a list of allergy-free dishes, and I think even included some recipes plus what was restricted, so the gals at church could fix truly healthy meals for her.  She also had some help getting some muffins and pancakes in the freezer beforehand to help out with breakfast. 

If you can gracefully make suggestions ahead of time, ask for a simple meal of meat, veggie, salad, with sauces/condiments on the side.  For example, roasted chicken, steamed asparagus, garden salad.  Maybe rice pudding for dessert.  Or porcupine meatballs, green beans, buttered yellow squash and a fresh fruit salad.

Casseroles tend to have too many hidden ingredients, so that is usually out. 

If someone is not comfortable preparing an entire meal GF, let them know it is OK to bring just a single dish or a freezer dish.

I know you don't want to impose on your church family, and I am sure they will want bless you with food that will be a help, and not a hinderance.

Offline jenstar

• Adept
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 05:13:03 AM »

I came across this reading through different threads looking for other information. We have just been dealing with this in our church. We have a small church home fellowship so what worked for us was to ask the elders if we could take over the responsibility of supplying the crackers and grape juice. That way we supply GF crackers (that we make - everyone liked them :)). Works good for us.

The information that I was originally looking for and I can't seem to find is.... (please be patient with my dumb questions :-[) I can't figure out what sorghum flour is. Many of the GF recipes of the site include it. I am from Canada and it is not a common thing here. I have heard of sorghum syrup/molasses but not of grain. Is it the same plant? I am just a little confused.

Offline jenibee

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 06:00:28 AM »
The information that I was originally looking for and I can't seem to find is.... (please be patient with my dumb questions :-[) I can't figure out what sorghum flour is. Many of the GF recipes of the site include it. I am from Canada and it is not a common thing here. I have heard of sorghum syrup/molasses but not of grain. Is it the same plant? I am just a little confused.

Yep, it's from the same plant.  Here's a good link with some recipes and baking tips - the cookbook they sell (a CD-ROM) looks really interesting!

http://www.twinvalleymills.com/

YoopreMama

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 07:02:19 AM »
It's a grain...like millet, in fact it's supposed to be "great millet" in the Bible.  Looks like millet, but larger. 

Twin Valley Mills is great place to buy from...not sure how shipping would be now.

Offline jenstar

• Adept
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 07:21:35 AM »
Thanks! That would explain why I have seen it referred to as millet. I'll keep looking around here to see if I can get it. Does anyone else from Canada/Northern US have hints on where to get it?

Offline Maria/NHM

• Adept
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 06:45:50 AM »
I recently received The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook. It's gluten, dairy and egg free. They use rice with a little tapioca flour rather than complicated and expensive flour blends. I've been really happy with how the recipes have turned out. It's my favorite cookbook by far!
My Blog
http://naturallyhealthymommy.blogspot.com/
Learning and sharing about nutrition and herbs
My user name used to be Ella :)

Offline spacemonkey15

• Learning
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2010, 02:05:28 PM »
What flours should I buy when first starting out? (I have Bob's Red Mill brown rice flour, sweet sorghum flour and xanthan gum at the moment) Should I just get a few kinds to test and find which ones I like the best?  I'm starting to drown under all the information and recipes. ack!  :P

Though maybe I should just get some recipes that will last me a couple of weeks and get the ingredients I don't have... I'm not sure. Thoughts?

Also I was wondering if that a person continues to eat foods with gluten in them, will they eventually develop Celiacs disease? Especially when a family member has it? I read in The G-Free Diet: A Gluten-Free Survival Guide that people carry the gene for gluten intolerance/celiacs it's just a matter of if it gets 'turned on' by stress, trauma, or a food. My aunt has celiacs and no one in my immediate family has any problems with gluten, except me. In the book it also said that it can skip a generation, which would explain why I had problems and not my brothers or my Mom.  I don't know..I just think it's interesting if it's really true that's how they're connected.

If you have any tips, I'd be so glad to hear them. Thanks!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2010, 03:12:18 PM »
It is better to start off with a few basic recipes and work from there.  It is overwhelming at first.  After about a month you’ll feel more like a pro. 

I use a combination of all these flours:  brown rice, white rice (rarely), quinoa, garfava, amaranth, millet, teff, sorghum, tapioca, potato STARCH, arrowroot, and cornstarch.  The last 4 are starches.  Basically you want to balance out the protein grains with the starch grains otherwise your bread products will be very heavy.  It’s not a 1:1 ratio.  It’s more like a 2:1 or 1 ½  ratio. You will also want to rotate to a certain extent to make sure you don’t become allergic to the brown rice flour.

Right now I’m rotating these flour blends:

1 cup brown rice
1/2 cup millet
1 cup tapioca

Second mix:

1 cup sorghum
1 cup teff
1 cup tapioca or arrowroot

There is also posted a GF flour blend that uses all of them somewhere on the GF pages (probably the recipe one).   Garfava, quinoa, and amaranth are very strong tasting flours so you will want to use them sparingly in your blends.  I honestly don’t use them much anymore because of the flavor. 

Yooper uses a sorghum blend that we are liking a lot.  It’s from Carol Fenters cookbook and definitely a good blend!  The superallergygirl cookbook is also great to have on hand if you have multiple food allergies. 

My understanding of celiac is either you have it or you don’t.  Generally speaking, most people have it their entire lives but frequently don’t get diagnosed until the damage is great (which is why you see people in their 20’s and 30’s get diagnosed with it).  I suppose you can develop it but that would only happen if you didn’t go GF.  As long as you do, you won’t be damaging your gut therefore you’re less likely to damage the villi causing the celiac.  Just my thinking on it, could be wrong though. 

Hth

patti

For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

YoopreMama

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2010, 03:20:14 PM »
Those are what I use, along w/ a tapioca flour and a corn (or potato) starch in a blend.
http://www.savorypalate.com/Carols_Flour_Blend.aspx #3, w/ a higher ratio of grain to starch.  I don't always add another grain (corn, nut, etc.)

Sorghum is our predominant flour of choice, esp. as we try to rotate rice, as we don't want to develop an intolerance to it, seeing we use it a lot (flour, cooked, milk, etc.).

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 04:31:52 PM »
As far as the Celiac goes, My grandmother has Celiac and my mom, and aunt most likely have it also, but I don't show symptoms of Celiac, I possibly have symptoms of gluten intolerance. I am on 19 of my gluten *test*. On the 22nd I will know if I am Gluten intolerant or not.

What are you symptoms? I would recommend doing a gluten test like I am. Going GF for 30 days then eating gluten for three. If you feel pretty yucky the three days you eat gluten then you are gluten intolerant.

BTW MKM, There has been two times that I have cheated  :-[ the last one was the 28th of Feb. Do I need to start the 30 days all over again, or just keep going? I did have a small bite of pasta at Boston's Sat night too, but thankfully they have GF pizza's!

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 06:03:15 PM »

BTW MKM, There has been two times that I have cheated  :-[ the last one was the 28th of Feb. Do I need to start the 30 days all over again, or just keep going? I did have a small bite of pasta at Boston's Sat night too, but thankfully they have GF pizza's!

Technically, you need to start over.  But if you actually reacted to it, then I would say just keep going because it's likely the 20 days in between is going to be enough to give you your answer.  If you didn't react, then you'll want to start over.  But if I remember from FB, you did react, didn't you????

patti
For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I've committed unto him against that day.

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 06:15:13 PM »
Well I'm thinking I was reacting to something else because DH had the same reaction, only he was much worse. I think there must have been MSG in the pizza we had the classic MSG symptoms. I had no symptoms from a week ago when I had 5 or 6 cookies.

I have also noticed that what I thought was feeling better after being GF must have been a placebo affect because I feel the same as before now.

So do I need to start over from Saturday ( I had one bite of pasta) or go back to the Sunday when I had the cookies?

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 09:05:46 PM »
Well I'm thinking I was reacting to something else because DH had the same reaction, only he was much worse. I think there must have been MSG in the pizza we had the classic MSG symptoms. I had no symptoms from a week ago when I had 5 or 6 cookies.

I have also noticed that what I thought was feeling better after being GF must have been a placebo affect because I feel the same as before now.

So do I need to start over from Saturday ( I had one bite of pasta) or go back to the Sunday when I had the cookies?

Start over - Day 1. 

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2010, 11:20:33 PM »

Sally Fallon has a quote in NT, from the PPNF Health Journal, on pg 479.
 It says:
Celiac disease stems from grain allergies - or, more precisely, allergies to the gluten and alpha gliadin components of grain. Those allergies cause malabsorption and, hence, a massive deficiency of vitamins B1, B3, B12, folic acid and the mineral zinc.A serious deficiency in any one of those, if undiagnosed or untreated, can cause dementia. The allergies also cause malabsorption of essential minerals and trace elements, such as calcium, magnesium, iron, and manganese. In addition, they allow the absorption of toxic metals, such as aluminum; and higher than normal concentrations of aluminium in the brain is one of the dementia-causing features of Alzheimer's disease.

Just reading through this thread and this makes total sense to me now!!  DS has had issues with gluten since birth but we didn’t know it until he was 8.  We recently had him blood tested and he’s VERY low in zinc.  So low that I have to give him 60mg. a day now as a supplement.  So even though we’ve been GF for over a year, we never knew to address this issue and now it’s becoming a problem because he’s not growing and his body isn’t able to throw off toxins.  It also explains him eating salt like a deer at a salt lick!  He is very low in all the minerals as well.  Ahhhhh.  The light bulb just went on!  Now I know why I’m treating this stuff!  Thanks, ladies!

patti

Offline HappyWifey

• Adept
    • Rejoicing Evermore
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2010, 06:42:58 AM »

Start over - Day 1.  

I understand the one day part, but I was wondering if the one bite of pasta is enough that I need to start over on that day, or go back to when I ate a large amount of gluten?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 06:48:39 AM by healthybratt »

Offline mykidsmom

• Guru
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2010, 07:41:43 AM »

Start over - Day 1.  

I understand the one day part, but I was wondering if the one bite of pasta is enough that I need to start over on that day, or go back to when I ate a large amount of gluten?

If the large quantity was more then 15 days ago you can just go back to the small amount you had as day one.  If it was less then that then you should go back to the last big amount you had.

patti