Author Topic: Anyone know a good, free homeschool forum?  (Read 16517 times)

Offline Lovn my boys

• Learning
    • http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/organizedhomeschool
Anyone know a good, free homeschool forum?
« on: January 07, 2008, 04:24:59 PM »
I'm at an impasse in my homeschool (ds9,6,&4) and would really like to find a good forum to glean from and bounce ideas off of.  I used to go to the Sonlight forums, which were wonderful, but I stopped going when they started charging a fee.  Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!   
Luvnmyboys

Happily married to my steady dh for 15 years.
mom to 13yo ds, 11 yo ds, and 8yo ds

We NEED a parental rights ammendment to keep the UN out of our families.  Learn more at www.parentalrights.org

Offline Whiterock

• Jesus Knows Me, This I Love
  • Guru
  • Eph 6:16
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
Re: Anyone know a good, free homeschool forum?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 04:58:24 PM »
There's a homeschool section on the 7xSunday forum.
WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline ForeverGirl

• Global Moderator
  • Master
  • BoogBug
    • WellTellMe
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 07:00:47 PM »
[Gabe here...]

Can you tell us all of what you are looking for? We own the domain name, "homeschool.cc" and are looking to develop it after we amp up WTM in the next few months.

If you have a wish list, we'd love to read it!

--gabe
Honey Sunny in complete exasperation:
"JOE!!! You DOUGHNUT COCONUT COCONUT COCONUT!!!"

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 03:50:34 AM »
Reviews of material.

Calendar of events that mihgt interest homeschooling families,

Link to HSLDA

Buy/sell/trade materials

Section that has good places on line to buy materials including musical instraments.

Q & A

Articles from moms who have gone before what worked what didn't work so well etc.

News relating to homeschooling.

Great field trip ideas according to regions.

Is that enough?  I can come up with more. ;D  Basically I want a WTM for homeschooling.
And as He stands in victory,
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 04:08:30 AM »
It seems wherever homeschoolers congregate, they ask two questions "What curriculum do you use?" and "What's your schedule look like?" So, sections for that would be good.

And a section for free or on-line books and lesson plans! I'm finding that there are enough on-line books to cover just about any subject.

WR
Who Needs God?

My Blog - Yarb d'Farb Knarb Check out the Wellness Wednesday tag for your health-related blog posts!

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 04:09:59 AM »
sections categorized by age groups of the students would be nice too.  ya' know - preschool/kindergarten, 1-3rd grade, 4-6th grade etc, etc.  

;D

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 04:12:21 AM »
If Whiterock comes up with the logo for it, I'll buy a T-shirt. ;)

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 04:14:56 AM »
:D  Thank you. (Your check's in the mail) ;D
Who Needs God?

Offline floydian

• Master
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 04:16:58 AM »
:D  Thank you. (Your check's in the mail) ;D

I'll use it to buy a T-shirt. ;)

Offline homeschooling madre

• Adept
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 05:47:32 AM »
Links to the sites for each of the state's official home school site.  For instance, if I'm thinking of moving to another state, I want to look up their rules/regs and available support groups and I have to do a google search.  You could have them all in one place.

A list of the links to known local home school support groups, arranged by states.

Links to lots of different curriculum sale sites (this could be income for you!)

Links to home school friendly attorneys for each state.

Offline joyful_mommy03

• Adept
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 08:04:20 AM »
I'm at an impasse in my homeschool (ds9,6,&4) and would really like to find a good forum to glean from and bounce ideas off of.  I used to go to the Sonlight forums, which were wonderful, but I stopped going when they started charging a fee.  Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!   
Luvnmyboys

I use the ACE curriculum and went to yahoo groups and searched for ace and homeschool.  I found a great one!  Maybe if you go there and type in what curriculum(s) you are using or what area of the country you are in along with the word "homeschool" - maybe you could find what you are looking for.

The rest of the responses already covered what I was thinking as far as a new forum!  I can't wait to see it!

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 08:40:08 AM »
Gabe/Beka -
Have a section for "just getting started" folks, moderated by veterans.
A section for veterans needing new enthusiasm.
A "winter doldrums, spark my interest" section.
A "how to talk to neighbors/grandma/friends" about homeschooling.
A "balancing spiritual/academic/physical/creative/life skills endeavors"

Those are where I am at right now!

Maybe some legal stuff?
Testing?
High school/college?

Our state (MN) has an excellent newsletter, convention, support group network, etc.  But some of us are NOT joiners and don't have time or inclination to go to meetings.  I personally cannot stand sitting around with a bunch of women - so often nothing gets accomplished and it is just talk.  An online forum like WTM and 7x would be excellent.

Keep "pushy opinions" to a minimum like you do on the other forums.  Just advice, encoruagement, direction and chat.

Looking forward to seeing it get up there and happening!

Offline SarahK

• Master
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 09:11:02 AM »
Special needs - potentially divided into need varieties ?
I have learned enough to know I still have lots to learn.  Teach me.
My WTM Intro updated 9/2010

Offline HeyMom

• Adept
    • My journey with Jesus as a young widow, Courage Road
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 09:14:31 AM »
this is just an awesome thought and will be exciting to see it come to fruition....

there are already many great ideas already listed...

special needs areas....for instance my 10 dd is deaf in one ear and hearing impaired in the other....so different ideas for different situations

info with help regarding high school is very important - this is a real stumbling block when your kids get to this age (was for me anyway ::))

all types of "free" things, from forms, websites, notebooking pages, on-line mini books, etc.

and definite help in how to get started

info on how larger families organize and school, tips and help

I'll keep thinkin....

For the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him.
2 Chronicles 16:9
www.courageroad.blogspot.com

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 09:19:26 AM »
A place to upload/download and share worksheets to avoid the need to buy workbooks. 
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline joychild24seven

• Adept
    • Cloth Alternatives for Women
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 10:47:22 AM »
Stories from now adults who have grown up homeschooled and what they view worked/didn't work...

(I would be one of those adults  ;D )
Every Day You Save My Life

Offline ShannaC

• Adept
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 10:52:27 AM »
Oooo! I like this idea!  My son is just turning 3 but I am starting to gear up and collect ideas. This would be wonderful! 
Shanna

Offline lovingmomof2

• Adept
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 11:41:21 AM »
I agree with all these ideas, but one that I didn't see mentioned that is important to me is keeping it fun, interesting and challenging enough for the children AND the parents.
Proverbs 31:26
"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness."

Offline CountyCork

• Master
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 11:50:37 AM »
FUN!  That's a good idea!
Also, if there are "subject" divisions, then people could post favorite science experiments, educational videos, books, art projects.
There could be a place for art contests, maybe?
Oh, boy, don't get me started . . .

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 12:43:11 PM »
FUN!  That's a good idea!
Also, if there are "subject" divisions, then people could post favorite science experiments, educational videos, books, art projects.
There could be a place for art contests, maybe?
Oh, boy, don't get me started . . .

Fun?? What's that? What are you talking about?  We're HOMESCHOOLERS!  We aren't supposed to have FUN!!

lol ;D ;)

Offline rebekahgrif

• Adept
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 01:02:25 PM »
how to keep a 2 year old occupied while attempting to teach their siblings.  Potty training said child while schooling.

Nickole

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2008, 05:21:25 PM »
www.amblesideonline.com is a "free" curriculum.  I put "free" in quotes, b/c it is beneficial to do some reading on methods (but that is free too, just a lot to read but good stuff) and there are many links to print out the books for free (most of them anyway), and you can even just do the pages for each days reading.  I personally just have to have a real live book in my hands so I buy all the books, but it's a great resource for those who do not mind printing books.  And I do print out the poetry and have printed out Shakespeare stories and some fables, so I suppose I have used the free printing here and there.   :)  Even if you do not want to follow the reading schedule you can still print out many many books from that site.     

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2008, 05:31:18 PM »
This isn't a forum, but www.homeschoolestore.com has various units that you can download.  Many are for sale, but if you do a search for "free" you will find that they offer MANY. 

Mystery of History has a free yahoo group forum as does the Exploring Creation science series.  I'm also a member of the Ambleside group. 

Blessings,
Mrs. P
Mrs. P

Offline kper

• Adept
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2008, 04:51:46 AM »
Maybe have a place just for homeschool group leaders to support each other. I know there are other places out there, but this would be for like-minded indivduals... those who use WTM, of course!
" Elections belong to the people. It is their decision. If they decide to turn their back on the fire and burn their behinds, then they will just have to sit on their blisters." 

Abraham Lincoln

Offline natural

• Adept
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2008, 04:55:54 AM »
A place to upload/download and share worksheets to avoid the need to buy workbooks. 

you could go here to make your own crossword puzzles, word finds, etc. then share them with all of us
http://puzzlemaker.discoveryeducation.com/
4 yo Maciah: Mamma I am scared the wind is howling.
Me: Go to sleep Jesus will protect you.
4 yo Maciah: (stretching his chin to chest) But, but I can't see Jesus my head can't reach into my heart.

Offline Whiterock

• Guru
    • Yarb d'Farb Knarb
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2008, 09:52:52 AM »
Another free curriculum is Old Fashioned Education. And they have a Yahoo group for support, resource exchange, questions, etc.

WR
Who Needs God?

Nickole

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2008, 09:55:40 AM »
Oh, Ambleside also has yahoo groups galore, so I just wanted to mention that.  There is a yahoo group for each year I think, a general group, a picture study group, and probably more. 

Offline Lovn my boys

• Learning
    • http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/organizedhomeschool
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2008, 06:10:41 PM »
Thanks for all your suggestions on homeschool forums.  I'm still wading through looking for something that 'fits.' 

I use a hodge podge of curriculum, though I loosely follow Sonlight on Bible, geography and read alouds.  As we started school again, I realized that we weren't just having winter doldrums, but that school really is boring.  Alas, I'm in search of some way to liven it up.  I need 'hands-on' yet have no idea how to make that happen on a continual basis.   ???

I love the many ideas posted for the hs site.  Cant wait til it's up and running!

Thanks again!!

Lovn my boys
Happily married to my steady dh for 15 years.
mom to 13yo ds, 11 yo ds, and 8yo ds

We NEED a parental rights ammendment to keep the UN out of our families.  Learn more at www.parentalrights.org

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2008, 04:13:06 AM »
A place to get used or sample tests for the CAT, ITBS, etc.  Links to find these tests to order and laws by state on how to administer said tests when necessary.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Deb

• Adept
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2008, 05:19:30 PM »
This sounds great!! All the ideas for free, low cost curriculum are great. Keeping kids interested, not bored or burnt out. Older kids studies.Special needs cause most sites don't have a lot on that. I think I'm just repeating what others have said so I'll just agree with all of the above! By the way , a couple years back Beka asked for folks to send in their best homeschooling tips(No Greater Joy mag), for a book compiling them all. I had totally forgotten about it. Is that still forthcoming? Hint hint! Actually I doubt Beka has the time, but wondered. This forum would be great for tips like that.