Author Topic: Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis  (Read 4658 times)

YoopreMama

Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis
« on: January 04, 2008, 02:19:05 PM »
I have a friend w/ young boy (8?) and they're looking at JRA diagnosis.  Anyone have some helpful suggestion re: diagnosis, symptoms, misdiagnosis, natural treatments, etc?

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
Re: Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 02:53:29 PM »
I have read that most JRA cases are undiagnosed Lyme's disease cases.  Also, I have been reading up on the benefits of H202 and that people with arthritis are curing themselves with it. HTH!
http://www.garynull.com/Documents/Arthritis/Hydrogen_Peroxide_Therapy.htm

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 06:40:23 AM »
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline Siege

• My avatar is my youngest frying deer tongue!
  • Adept
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 05:57:52 PM »
Just a quick note, my 6yods just got over Lyme Disease (note: no 's at the end of Lyme...pet peave, like Psalm 1, NOT Psalms 1).

The Dr thought it could be either Lyme or JRA. Maybe check and see if the boy was tested for Lyme. The quicker you catch it the better. CJ

Offline littlemama24

• Master
    • check out this website!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 03:50:13 AM »
I have a friend w/ young boy (8?) and they're looking at JRA diagnosis.  Anyone have some helpful suggestion re: diagnosis, symptoms, misdiagnosis, natural treatments, etc?

In school we learned that children who have JRA benefit  if they are also hyperactive.  Sounds weird I know, but the constant fidgetting keeps their joints "lubricated".  If the diagnosis sticks with JRA, I'd say urge them to teach him to fiddle and fidget.  NEVER sit still for more than 10-15 minutes.  hth

YoopreMama

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 04:00:20 PM »
Any suggestions for pain mgt. from inflammation for a toddler being tested for this?

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 06:16:28 PM »
Any suggestions for pain mgt. from inflammation for a toddler being tested for this?

Just posted this in the pain management thread...just ran across it tonight in another unrelated search. :)

My bil has arthritis, and takes tumeric and bromelain to help the inflammation.  IDK if those are OK for littles or not.  Researching...
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 07:30:20 PM »
The makers of Oreganol indicate that it is safe to use internally and externally for ages 6 mos. and up...here are their guidelines:
http://www.oreganopro.com/oreganofaq.asp#children

From my reading, I would dillute it first, and test it on myself.  I would try one drop OoO to a few drops of carrier oil and test it first on myself and then do a test spot on my child to see how they tolerate the oil.  I wouldn't feel comfortable using it undiluted/neat first.  It's supposed to have a 'warming' sensation.

Bromelain and Tumeric supplementation: has not been tested in children, so there are not dosages or recommendations given. 

Warm onion poultices are a proven and safe anti-inflammatory that I'd be comfortable using on my own little ones. http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art51100.asp  This article also lists some other anti-inflammatory combinations, and how to assemble the poutlices. 
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline Precious

• Adept
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 07:32:15 AM »
I've been learning a lot about autoimmune disorders lately, so I wanted to share a few tidbits.

Anyone with an autoimmune disorder (rheumatoid arthritis, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, MS, etc.) should immediately go off gluten.  See this link for an explanation. 

There is a prescription medication called low dose naltrexone that is showing promise in treating autoimmune disorders.  It is best used in conjunction with the GAPS diet.  This is one of the few synthetic drugs the "natural" doctors will consider because it has virtually no side effects.  The most common side effect is vivid dreaming.  The typical dose is 4.5 mg for an adult, though I don't know what it would be for a child.  You take it right before bed and it stays in the system for 1 to 4 hours.  A very rudimentary explanation of how it works: People with autoimmune dz have low endorphin levels.  The immune system is loaded with endorphin receptors--second only to the nervous system.  The body responds to the low dose naltrexone by increasing endorphins to a normal level.  It is especially effective for Crohn's, Lyme's, and MS.  I have not taken this drug, I am merely sharing information that might be helpful to someone.

And here is a link explaining why diet is more effective at treating arthritis than anti-inflammatory meds.